Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

jerkstoresup posted:

This is easily the worst thing on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
And with Doom's birthday comes The Cacoawards, now under new management. Alas the Worst Wad and Mockaward categories are gone, but in their place is a new category for Gameplay Wads, to allow wads that do something other than provide new levels a chance in the spotlight. (The winner of the category was obvious this year, and for good reason).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

How can you say that, its amazing :colbert:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

jerkstoresup posted:

Why, internet?

Why?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

H2Omelon posted:

And with Doom's birthday comes The Cacoawards, now under new management. Alas the Worst Wad and Mockaward categories are gone, but in their place is a new category for Gameplay Wads, to allow wads that do something other than provide new levels a chance in the spotlight. (The winner of the category was obvious this year, and for good reason).

Under new management, but it's still Doomworld - only one ZDoom wad worth mentioning all year?

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Under new management, but it's still Doomworld - only one ZDoom wad worth mentioning all year?
There's been plenty of years where the majority of wads are Zdoom ones...it just so happens the author felt that there were more quality standard Doom wads released than Zdoom ones. I really don't see it as an agenda against Zdoom (and I love Zdoom, every one of my favourite doom mods is for it)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, neat - looks like the Worst Mod Of 2010 is getting a major update next week. There's even a teaser trailer up.

Looks drat good.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dominic White posted:

Ooh, neat - looks like the Worst Mod Of 2010 is getting a major update next week. There's even a teaser trailer up.

Looks drat good.

Jesus that is some awful music. :psyduck:

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

The Kins posted:

Plutonia 2 is a few years old now, but I don't remember posting about it. It's a fantastic megawad for Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment, that follows along the visual themes of that mod.

Yup. I'm not a huge fan of the original but this is a really good sequel that outclasses it in my mind for the most part. Gusta's maps in particular are really solid - I love the "get dropped into immediately hostile territory" opening style where you have to move quickly to avoid getting caught in a crossfire.

closeted republican posted:

Doom is 18 years old today!

A day late on this, but drat. That's over half my life. I was 14 when it came out and I'm still playing this game on and off.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Roobanguy posted:

Jesus that is some awful music. :psyduck:
It's Nine Inch Nails. It fits with the thread. :)

Speaking of sneak peaks, trailers and questionable soundtrack decisions, here's a few seconds of something REALLY dumb I've been working on for kicks lately. It involves... Birthday Parties.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIIxfwrWtdc

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

It's Nine Inch Nails. It fits with the thread. :)

Speaking of sneak peaks, trailers and questionable soundtrack decisions, here's a few seconds of something REALLY dumb I've been working on for kicks lately. It involves... Birthday Parties.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIIxfwrWtdc

What the hell im watching :psyduck:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Dominic White posted:

Looks drat good.

Worst Mod of 2010 is Best Mod of Forever. Why do Doom dudes get so upset about mods that aren't 100% original content?

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

Dominic White posted:

Looks drat good.

Wow there is a LOT of content from Strife in this game. :swoon:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

It'd be cool to get a skulltag party together this weekend to celebrate Doom's birthday :shobon:

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

tooooooo bad posted:

It'd be cool to get a skulltag party together this weekend to celebrate Doom's birthday :shobon:
Seconding this, Skulltag was the best weekend event next to the Quake event.

Unreal should've been awesome but barely anyone participated. :(

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm down for a Skulltag party.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm sort of in and out today. As of this point I could host a Skulltag server RIGHT NOW, for like all night.

What do you guys want?

Link me the wads in case I don't have.

edit:

I am hosting "Doom 18th Barfday Goonserv!"

71.88.43.55:10666

I can easily change it, so let me know.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 10, 2011

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

My brother is the one who made that years ago :negative:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Since we're gonna play online let me suggest people download IDE to use instead of Doomseeker because it seems to work a lot better at this point and hits the same master server and everything. For example, Kazvall's server is actually visible in it, and the search function works too.

Kazvall posted:

I'm sort of in and out today. As of this point I could host a Skulltag server RIGHT NOW, for like all night.

What do you guys want?

Memorial seems cool though I don't know if we want to play Doom 2 again. Also the music doesn't seem to work in Skulltag and other parts may be broken too.

I've been a fan of Hard Doom in the past but they've added some new stuff since and I'm not sure how it is anymore.

Oh, we could play Stronghold, which is very good. 150MB though.

Yesterday I was cruising through Skulltag servers and found whatdafuck05.wad which is terrible but also kind of amazing.

And speaking of terrible but amazing wads there's a version of Resurrection of Doom2 that supposedly runs in Skulltag though that wad tends to being my own computer to its knees and I suspect that it would murder your server. Sure wish it would work though because I love the poo poo out of it. Also it would probably need to be uploaded somewhere so that people could get it with wadseeker or whatever.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Kazvall posted:

What do you guys want?

edit:

I am hosting "Doom 18th Barfday Goonserv!"

I can easily change it, so let me know.
I've wanted to play Stronghold online http://realm667.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=236&Itemid=1

I don't know when everyone will be on but I'll try at the usual time.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Someone who's an admin should make an announcement in the Steam group.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
What happened to the server?

e: nvm, it popped up again :)

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 10, 2011

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

He said he was going to take it down and put up like three servers or something

If people want to join me in the steam group chat we can chatter there faster than we can here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fat_old_men

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Okay okay, I am going to host TWO servers for you guys for maximum enjoyment.

First server: Doom 18th Barfday Goonserv! BRUTAL DOOM.

Brutal Doom!

Second server: Doom 2 Goonserv: STRONGHOLD

71.88.43.55:10667

Doom 2 STRONGHOLD!

HAVE FUN!

EDIT: gently caress me, 10 people playing already. Both my servers are 15 people each. Get in on this poo poo!

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 10, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hammsturabi posted:

Wow there is a LOT of content from Strife in this game. :swoon:

Strife, Half-Life 2, Quake 2, Duke 3D and more. It's like MUGEN but for FPS's.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Brutal Doom co-op with 13 players is loving :black101: as hell

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Dominic White posted:

Which would you have mentioned, then? There was a nominations thread open to the public all year, and pretty nearly everything that showed up more than once or twice in it got at least some sort of mention.

(Nevermind, I forgot you have me on Ignore anyway!)

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 10, 2011

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

IF YOU COULDN'T JOIN I JUST INCREASED MAX PLAYERS TO 20.

I MIGHT MAKE IT 25, JESUS CHRIST.

Haha, okay. Brutal doom max 20, Stronghold max 25. That should work just fine.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 10, 2011

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The Stronghold server isn't on Stronghold maps, it's on Doom 2 maps which isn't right. You need to change it to "STR01 - INTRODUCTION"

If you get an error the first time you try to connect try again, it worked for me the second time. But yeah, wrong map.

edit: just found the map vote function, fixed it. Guess we're gonna play Stronghold if you want to join!

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 10, 2011

nahob
Feb 21, 2011

[center]i am invincible[/center]

tooooooo bad posted:

The Stronghold server isn't on Stronghold maps, it's on Doom 2 maps which isn't right. You need to change it to "STR01 - INTRODUCTION"

If you get an error the first time you try to connect try again, it worked for me the second time. But yeah, wrong map.

edit: just found the map vote function, fixed it. Guess we're gonna play Stronghold if you want to join!

The stronghold server needs to change some flags.

Infinite ammo breaks the game (infinite mines, infinite rocketlauncher, etc.) so that needs to be off.

And for some reason, biogenetic upgrades you buy don't work. Though items you buy stay in your inventory.

Just two quick fixes.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

nahob posted:

The stronghold server needs to change some flags.

Infinite ammo breaks the game (infinite mines, infinite rocketlauncher, etc.) so that needs to be off.

And for some reason, biogenetic upgrades you buy don't work. Though items you buy stay in your inventory.

Just two quick fixes.

This post contains the server variables and the bugfix addon that you need Kazvall. It does need to be in Survival mode.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Sorry I hosed it up. I could have sworn I set it to survival before leaving. I thought infinite ammo would be good, but it broke the game as well, eh?

I have to connect my router now, so no more hosting. I will host tomorrow if you guys like.

Edit: Someone make an event posting, I'll host whatever time is good for you all, tomorrow.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 11, 2011

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Be happy to play some more tomorrow, had a great time today.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

tooooooo bad posted:

Resurrection of Doom2

Haha what am I looking at?

quote:

The year is 2145. You were the marine, when you were on the Earth.
Now you are in the sexual crime jail on the moon far far away from the Earth.

OK then.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Myopic posted:

Haha what am I looking at?

OK then.

If you think that's good wait until you play it. The second map is awful but the way the third stage starts is probably one of my favorite custom Doom things ever.

e: not to say that it's actually good or even at any point technically possible without cheating. I just get a kick out of bad wads. :munch:

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 11, 2011

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Could someone point me in the direction of a great Doom wad - just good design, fun fights, etc. Nothing that's 'you have one bullet per imp and lots of annoying door/switch puzzles'

Gameplay mods are cool too, if they're worthy.

I just dusted off my ancient wads, I'd like to induldge in some nostalgia for an evening, with a fresh set of maps.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

victrix posted:

Could someone point me in the direction of a great Doom wad - just good design, fun fights, etc. Nothing that's 'you have one bullet per imp and lots of annoying door/switch puzzles'

Gameplay mods are cool too, if they're worthy.

I just dusted off my ancient wads, I'd like to induldge in some nostalgia for an evening, with a fresh set of maps.

Brutal Doom makes any Doom map pack 10x more fun. Even those horrible maps that make you fight imps and barons with your pistol.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Vertigus posted:

Brutal Doom makes any Doom map pack 10x more fun. Even those horrible maps that make you fight imps and barons with your rifle.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Doom The Way Id Did is out! It's a full, three episode tribute to the original Doom, attempting to carefully emulate Id's mapping style as closely as possible.

Since it's all-Vanilla, it'll work with basically any gameplay mod you deign to throw at it, if you like mix-n-matching. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Convex posted:

Brutal Doom co-op with 13 players is loving :black101: as hell
I agree. Every level started with a load of telefrags and on levels with teleporters you could expect even more.