Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
Ugh but that'll take so long :(

Another problem is that I don't know when the last time I backed my phone up is, haha. Is there a way to back all the data in my phone up without using iTunes? (Since I doubt I'll be able to do back the poo poo on my phone up if it's still in a recovery loop)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Did you try using tinyumbrella to kick it out of the loop?

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
I just tried doing that; I'm giving it a little bit to see if it worked but I'm fairly sure it's going back into the same bootloop

FAKE EDIT: It is

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I had the same thing happen to me this week - wound up having to restore it from a 3-day-old backup. Even then, getting it back to pretty much its pre-brick state only took a couple hours.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
If I back up the data for certain apps using iPhone Explorer, I can put that same data back on the phone later, right?

This is kind of a stupid question, but I don't want to take any risks and wind up losing my progress in some games, haha

EDIT: Haha OK so I turned off "Set Hosts to Cydia on exit" and "Request SHSH from Cydia" and a command line came up, with the most recent stuff including such choice lines as "Performing full NAND R/O restore" and "Error, no successful firmware download after 60000 ms!! Giving up..."
Are you guys sure I didn't brick my phone? :P
It's some greenpois0n poo poo I think

EDIT 2: A bunch of text just flashed by and it's on the Apple logo right now. WILL KEEP YOU GUYS UPDATED

I CAN'T STOP EDITING: It's the same poo poo. Just going in and restoring now :(

Valex fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 10, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

maduin posted:

Good news for iPhone 4 users: pod2g has a working untethered 5.0 jailbreak. He says it does work on 5.0.1, but he doesn't have a 4S or iPad 2, so he can't test that himself.

I don't understand, my iPhone 4 is on 5.0.1. Why can't he test it?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I ran into the same issues with a doggy jailbreak with Redsn0w on my 3GS. I ended up using sn0wbreeze and had 0 issues with it. Try that out. I haven't been real happy with redsn0w on 5.X.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
.exe file and I'm on a mac :(

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Vertigus posted:

I don't understand, my iPhone 4 is on 5.0.1. Why can't he test it?

The wording of that sentence confused me too. I think what he means is that it is confirmed working on 5.0.1, but he can't test to see if it works on an iPhone 4[S] or iPad 2 because he doesn't have either of those.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Valex posted:

.exe file and I'm on a mac :(

Use VMware or just Bootcamp it up. All you really need is for it to make the ipsw.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

gently caress, man, why couldn't I just leave well enough alone? I've been using iOS5.0 with Redsn0w and things have been mostly fine, except with a bit of application instability (the bigger app, like infinity blade, the more instability). So I tried to switch to sn0wbreeze, as per this thread's recommendation. sn0wbreeze created the ipsw fine, and when I got to the part where it's supposed to run iREB, I instead looked at the bottom of the window and saw "use iBooty" and did that before clicking continue. :( I've yet to get this fucker to a workable state since. Trying to restore to the custom ipsw in iTunes either gets a 3194 error, or a 2005 error, depending if I'm using TinyUmbrella to try and block the apple firmware verification. None of the solutions I've found in google (up to and including fully uninstalling and reinstalling all apple software on my PC) have had any effect. I can't even go back to Redsn0w, the "next" button is always greyed out, like it just can't see my ipod. :qq:

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
hi5 hosed iphone buddies

I'm currently resyncing my iPhone right now. I'm not even worried about losing my app data anymore (the main game I've played in the last few months is Jetpack Joyride anyway haha, everything else I can make up the data from in like 2 hours) but I'm resyncing 6146 songs and it's taking forever :(

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

oh, awesome. Having iTunes restore a backup forces me to update to 5.0.1

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Jetsetlemming posted:

oh, awesome. Having iTunes restore a backup forces me to update to 5.0.1

If you've been jailbroken with Cydia since 4.3.3, it probably saved your SHSH and you can restore to it.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Javid posted:

If you've been jailbroken with Cydia since 4.3.3, it probably saved your SHSH and you can restore to it.
I've got 4.2.1, 4.3.5, and 5.0 saved. I don't know how to restore old versions, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jetsetlemming posted:

I've got 4.2.1, 4.3.5, and 5.0 saved. I don't know how to restore old versions, though.

You need to find/download the specific firmware you want (5.0 in this case), then have TinyUmbrella open to intercept the SHSH check from iTunes. In iTunes, shift-click the restore button and it'll let you pick/browse to whichever firmware you want

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Currently installing a 5.0.1 sn0wbreeze ipsw, and it seems to be working, the progress bar on the ipod screen is about half full. Figured I might as well TRY. No problems at all with itunes verification, it passed on the first try. Got my fingers crossed...

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

It worked! I'm in 5.0.1, and have Cydia, and it launches! Already installed SBSettings as well. Now to start resyncing everything...

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Heh, I'm still on 4.3.3. :smug:

I wish I could unlock and switch to tmobile. :(

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Went back through my music library re-adding the songs I wanted (it forgot those, despite remembering all the apps and other things), and at the end I had a queue of 1800 songs waiting to be synced. It's not too slow though, about one per second. Should be done soon enough for me to go out tonight and still miss the creepy post-midnight people.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Same as mine - resyncing 3600 songs took less time than actually picking the songs out to copy.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Lots more stability, but still the same terrible battery drain. Apple's patch notes for 5.0.1 lied :mad:

I think as far as stability goes, an important note is that I seem to have about 10MB more free ram from using sn0wbreeze instead of redsn0w.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jetsetlemming posted:

gently caress, man, why couldn't I just leave well enough alone? I've been using iOS5.0 with Redsn0w and things have been mostly fine, except with a bit of application instability (the bigger app, like infinity blade, the more instability). So I tried to switch to sn0wbreeze, as per this thread's recommendation. sn0wbreeze created the ipsw fine, and when I got to the part where it's supposed to run iREB, I instead looked at the bottom of the window and saw "use iBooty" and did that before clicking continue. :( I've yet to get this fucker to a workable state since. Trying to restore to the custom ipsw in iTunes either gets a 3194 error, or a 2005 error, depending if I'm using TinyUmbrella to try and block the apple firmware verification. None of the solutions I've found in google (up to and including fully uninstalling and reinstalling all apple software on my PC) have had any effect. I can't even go back to Redsn0w, the "next" button is always greyed out, like it just can't see my ipod. :qq:
Wait, what? You clicked "use iBooty?" Is that a thing? Was it an ad or an option for jailbreaking I don't even

I mean, I'm glad you got it all working OK and all, but I'm so confused about this booty option. It sounds kinda funny, you know.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

randyest posted:

Wait, what? You clicked "use iBooty?" Is that a thing? Was it an ad or an option for jailbreaking I don't even

I mean, I'm glad you got it all working OK and all, but I'm so confused about this booty option. It sounds kinda funny, you know.
iBooty is a separate program that sn0wbreeze automatically drops on your desktop. When you want to boot tethered, after jailbreaking, you run iBooty. It guides you through activating DFU mode, and then reboots your ipod jailbroken. It's sn0wbreeze's version of redsn0w's "just boot tethered" option. The text in sn0wbreeze said "Use iBooty to boot tethered (it's on your desktop)", so instead of clicking continue, which uses the proper iREB method that's needed to install the sn0wbreeze ipsw, I minimized sn0wbreeze and ran iBooty, and then tried to install the jailbroken ipsw, which made everything TERRIBLE.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I am looking to sell my iphone 4 with the unlockable baseband. I did the itunes restore with the patched ispw, re unlocked it and that's all fine.

Question: Is doing the restore enough to have securely deleted all my previous data on the phone?

Everything is gone from the UI, and I sshed in and poked around a bit and everything seems gone, but I've never sold my phone before and I want to be sure.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

Pardot posted:

I am looking to sell my iphone 4 with the unlockable baseband. I did the itunes restore with the patched ispw, re unlocked it and that's all fine.

Question: Is doing the restore enough to have securely deleted all my previous data on the phone?

Everything is gone from the UI, and I sshed in and poked around a bit and everything seems gone, but I've never sold my phone before and I want to be sure.

You are good to go my friend. IIRC the iPhone 4 drops the keys for the data and changes them on IPSW Restore.

Pulled Pork Taco
Mar 27, 2008
I have a 16GB 3GS which I want to make all shiny new and give to my friend.

It's jailbroken and on iOS 4.33. My version of iTunes is 10.5.1.1.42.

When I plug the phone's cable in, I get the message:

"iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone "X". Go to the Summary tab in iPhone Preferences and click Restore to restore the iPhone to factory settings".

So I do as instructed. Update is greyed out. I click Restore. Then in the dialog I get the option button Restore and Update. I click this.

I get the message "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194)."

I have TinyUmbrella, DiskAid and iExplorer. Is there anything I can fiddle with or tweak that would help?

The phone works perfectly well when it's not plugged into the computer, so it's not as if it were hopelessly scrambled and bricked.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I've read the last few pages but haven't been able to form a clear picture so could someone tell me how stable the 5.0.1 jailbreak has been for them? This from the Red Snow dev team makes me worry.

quote:

THIS JAILBREAK IS INTENDED ONLY FOR DEVELOPERS OF JAILBROKEN APPS! There are just too many broken components (Apple’s official apps, 3rd-party App Store apps, Cydia apps, MobileSubstrate apps, etc) for this to be useful to anyone but those truly looking to fix bugs in their iOS 5 jailbroken apps. (Seriously!)

can you still use the mail, music apps etc without trouble?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Has anyone ever used a Apple Digital AV Adapter to output your iPhone 4 to an HD TV? And more specifically, has anyone used one of the jailbreak apps to allow complete screen mirroring of the iPhone 4? For those unaware, apparently with a non-iPad 2 or iPhone 4[S] device all you can do is output certain applications. A jailbreak app supposedly allows you to do complete mirroring of an iPhone 4's screen.

Is anyone aware of any generic cables available? Preferably cheaper than the $45 Apple Canada wants. I haven't been able to find any :(

edit: I want to output FaceTime to a TV for a little long-distance family FaceTiming over Christmas :3:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Sri.Theo posted:

I've read the last few pages but haven't been able to form a clear picture so could someone tell me how stable the 5.0.1 jailbreak has been for them? This from the Red Snow dev team makes me worry.

can you still use the mail, music apps etc without trouble?

The page has said that since the iOS 5 betas were coming out. I'm running 5.0.1 jailbroken with redsn0w right now, and it's fine.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
I'm having a problem with unlocking my phone and if anyone can think of what I'm missing it would be appreciated.

I bought a second hand iphone 3GS that had been upgraded to iOS 5.0.1 and had the new baseband on that can't be jailbroken yet. I updated it to the iPad 6.15.00 baseband and jailbroke it fine using redsn0w. I tried using ultrasn0w to unlock it but always got "No Service" afterwards, reading a bit deeper I found that 5.0.1 needed a fix for ultrasn0w before it was usable so I restored, re-jailbroke, installed the fix for ultrasn0w and installed ultrasn0w again with no luck, still "No Service".

After this I restored using a custom 4.1 firmware from sn0wbreeze, and ran ultrasn0w again but it still says "No Service". Next I thought the baseband might have got messed up in all the restores so I reflashed the 6.15.00 baseband and re-jailbroke using the custom 4.1 firmware but I still can't get it unlocked using ultrasn0w.

When I first unlock it it sees that I have voicemails waiting so I've been assuming the antenna is all working fine but I'm stuck as to why I can't seem to unlock it. Am I missing something obvious here?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Are SMS notifications in Lockscreen showing up for anyone else long after they've been checked? I'm using biteSMS so I'm not sure if the problem is specific to that or just part of the SMS plugin.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

adm posted:

Are SMS notifications in Lockscreen showing up for anyone else long after they've been checked? I'm using biteSMS so I'm not sure if the problem is specific to that or just part of the SMS plugin.

Every now and again, especially if I get some rapid fire and "clear" one in the middle of a chain, an sms will duplicate itself in the notification area over and over again. Force-quitting the BiteSMS app and respringing/rebooting (DON'T FORGET IF YOU ARE TETHERED) fixes it.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Fortis posted:

The page has said that since the iOS 5 betas were coming out. I'm running 5.0.1 jailbroken with redsn0w right now, and it's fine.

Thanks, gonna go for it!

Edit:

Failed, I only updated my 3GS from 3.0 because I was moving to a new computer, I don't think the latest point update has been jailbroken yet. Gonna have to wait a while...

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 12, 2011

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
I don't remember seeing it posted here, but it seems like pod2g has developed a working untethered jailbreak for 5.0.1. Still no love for iPhone 4S/iPad 2 though :(

The guy works like a beast. http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/
\/ edit: I am blind

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 14, 2011

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

IncendiaC posted:

I don't remember seeing it posted here, but it seems like pod2g has developed a working untethered jailbreak for 5.0.1. Still no love for iPhone 4S/iPad 2 though :(

The guy works like a beast. http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/
Mentioned on this page and the last.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

The Aphasian posted:

Every now and again, especially if I get some rapid fire and "clear" one in the middle of a chain, an sms will duplicate itself in the notification area over and over again. Force-quitting the BiteSMS app and respringing/rebooting (DON'T FORGET IF YOU ARE TETHERED) fixes it.

Looks like the latest LockInfo update may have fixed the problem for the moment.

Since I can't find a definitive answer from google -- what's the latest information on downgrading baseband 04.11.08 for unlock? I'm about to travel internationally for six months and I'd like to grab a local sim. Using iPhone 4, OS 5.0 on AT&T. I've got all my SHSH blobs for 4.* saved.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 14, 2011

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

adm posted:

Looks like the latest LockInfo update may have fixed the problem for the moment.

Since I can't find a definitive answer from google -- what's the latest information on downgrading baseband 04.11.08 for unlock? I'm about to travel internationally for six months and I'd like to grab a local sim. Using iPhone 4, OS 5.0 on AT&T. I've got all my SHSH blobs for 4.* saved.

It's impossible to downgrade your baseband, period.

Strokemouth
Aug 10, 2004
.malapropist.
A few weeks ago, I had to have my iPhone 4 replaced due to the home button deciding to take a dump and only work when it felt like it. The replacement one worked perfectly for several days at which point I decided to jailbreak it since I missed BiteSMS. It seems like since then, performance has taken a hit, which makes me wonder:

Does semitether run constantly and would that be a cause of battery drain? My phone also gets noticeably warm when doing things that didn't use to be an issue, such as watching videos or some light gaming.

Could it possibly be a wonky jailbreak? I used redsn0w, which I never had issues with in the past.

Would it be worth trying to restore and re-jailbreak with sn0wbreeze? Also, if I do that and need to boot tethered, can redsn0w be used to boot a phone jailbroken with sn0wbreeze or do I have to use ibooty? I know they do things a little differently and I'd have the benefit of having iBooks work again without having to mess with the different fixes, but I'm on a Mac and having to boot into Windows to boot tethered if necessary could potentially be a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's Activator, which is an integral part of SB Settings and many other JB things.

• Locked thread