Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

axleblaze posted:

Burrell gets HUGE bonus points for being a Batali disciple. Related to that her food usually looks really really good.

That just counts against her for me, since I always hated Mario Batali too. Really, I hate everything about her and see nothing good about anything regarding who she is or what she does and I would rather have three more shows with Guy Fieri on Food Network if it meant she was never seen again.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm just saying this now, if he ends up having smushmouth guest star on a ep where he goes to some place they eat eggs, and smushmuff eats more eggs then that he did for us, I'm not saying on a murder spree, but the odds are high.

Smash Mouth was already on there once. I cannot recall if any eggs were eaten at the time.

At this rate he'll probably have a Valentine's Day special where he hangs out with Fred Durst and teaches how to make nookie cookies and hot dog-flavored water or whatever the gently caress.

And it would still be better than anything with Anne Burrell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Really, I hate everything about her and see nothing good about anything regarding who she is or what she does and I would rather have three more shows with Guy Fieri on Food Network if it meant she was never seen again.

Whoa there pal, let's not say things we can't take back.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

That just counts against her for me, since I always hated Mario Batali too.

How in the hell does one hate Mario Batali? :psyduck:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

axleblaze posted:

How in the hell does one hate Mario Batali? :psyduck:

Even Bourdain doesn't hate him, and he hates everyone!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Anne Burrell annoys me to no end. She comes across as the type that always wants to fit in or the fat girl that always gets sloppy drunk at parties, hooks up with a guy for 5 minutes and then cries to everyone she find about how awful she feels. Everything about her says, "Look at me! I'm unique!" but when you do finally look at her she grimaces and smiles nervously.

Alex's resume seem to have been helping her mother make food to test recipe books and worked in kitchens in various countries. Nowhere do I see anything special about her cooking so its like you might as well say you've washed dishes in the best restaurants in France and LA.

I told me wife when this show started that they would pick someone who was A)a local (lived in NYC already) and B)Didn't already have a show or C)will work cheap because they are only known as guest stars on other shows.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vanderdeath posted:

A while back, I read a local Atlanta newspaper interview with Brown and he said that he became born again sometime in the early Aughts. This was before he got really, really popular, so he didn't come across as anything other than affable and friendly in the interview.

With the way he talks about his born-again status and dodges a lot of questions regarding "why," plus his appearance when he lost all that weight a year or two ago, it makes me think there was a history of heavy drinking before he found Jesus a decade ago. That's just me spitting, though.

Kind of cranky that Guarnaschelli is going to win Next Iron Chef, though. She's not a particularly great cook, and at least from Chopped, she has an absolutely unbearable, picky personality.

I guess I just don't like the dilution of the term "Iron Chef." An Iron Chef should be an absolute world-class master of cooking, a person who has opened and run a restaurant or two, someone renowned around the world, someone who knows their poo poo inside and out. They lucked out with Michael Symon, who is by far my favorite personality on Food Network. Garces is ... not up to par, but not outright offense. Forgione being able to call himself an "Iron Chef," however, is disgusting, and once Guarnaschelli gets that title, too, it will have no value whatsoever.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To be fair to Guarnaschelli, I don't think we should judge people by how they are as judges on Chopped. I'm almost positive that they ask the judges to act the way they do and to be as picky as possible. If you see Guarnaschelli as a judge on Iron Chef, she isn't nearly as bad. Same with Scott Conant really. When he has judging people o that 24 Hour restaurant show he had, he was far FAR kinder. I think FN wants the judges on Chopped to ac like asses because it creates more fake drama.

That being said, I don't think Guarnaschelli should win. When she was on Iron Chef, I'm pretty sure Cora destroyed her. She's not a bad chef from what I can tell but hardly worthy of being called one of the best in the world.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anne Burrell owns sorry yall hate women so much :toot:

Elliot Rosewater
Feb 15, 2005
Squee!
On the internet in general, the amount of venom directed at the women in this competition (except Faulkner for some reason) has been really creepy.

Then again, internet.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

axleblaze posted:

To be fair to Guarnaschelli, I don't think we should judge people by how they are as judges on Chopped. I'm almost positive that they ask the judges to act the way they do and to be as picky as possible. If you see Guarnaschelli as a judge on Iron Chef, she isn't nearly as bad. Same with Scott Conant really. When he has judging people o that 24 Hour restaurant show he had, he was far FAR kinder. I think FN wants the judges on Chopped to ac like asses because it creates more fake drama.

Probably depends on the personality. Zakarian, for example, is just as big of a cock everywhere else as he is on Chopped.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Elliot Rosewater posted:

Alex also has a show on at 7am on Saturday mornings that I don't think anyone watches, making it weird that she's in that ad with Bobby Flay.

Not weird to me; they're trying to bump up her reputation.

Admittedly, I've never watched her cooking show (If it truly is 7am Saturdays, it's far earlier for me because I have the east coast satellite feed here) so I could be judging her unfairly, but she has no warmth so it's difficult to imagine sitting through a half hour of her smiling and talking about cooking memories.

I'm not fond of her as a judge but at least Chopped/judging duty serves her better given how prickly she can be. I certainly don't think her behavior on that show is indicative of her personality on the whole, but anything else I've seen her in has done little to change my opinion about her abrasiveness.

Elliot Rosewater posted:

On the internet in general, the amount of venom directed at the women in this competition (except Faulkner for some reason) has been really creepy.

Then again, internet.

Are you talking us in with that, too? I like Burrell quite a bit and to clarify, I don't expect female TV personalities to be sweetness and light. It's not merely Alex's abrasiveness that bothers me. I think the cracks about her weight are a bit lame, mostly because I don't crack wise about Batali's weight, either, because I don't really care if a good chef is also attractive.

Elliot Rosewater
Feb 15, 2005
Squee!
It's a little bit here, but SA's somewhat sheltered from that kind of thing. Mostly I keep wandering onto Food Network's comments page for...God knows why.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

DerbyTime!!! posted:

Anne Burrell owns sorry yall hate women so much :toot:

Calling Anne Burrell a woman is like calling Sandra Lee sober.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Timby posted:

I guess I just don't like the dilution of the term "Iron Chef." An Iron Chef should be an absolute world-class master of cooking, a person who has opened and run a restaurant or two, someone renowned around the world, someone who knows their poo poo inside and out. They lucked out with Michael Symon, who is by far my favorite personality on Food Network. Garces is ... not up to par, but not outright offense. Forgione being able to call himself an "Iron Chef," however, is disgusting, and once Guarnaschelli gets that title, too, it will have no value whatsoever.

Food Network has been taking a giant runny dump on the spirit of Iron Chef ever since Iron Chef America premiered, so it's not like there's really anything left to be lost.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well this is just a colelction of :catstare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_nmL_hGZyE

Still like Nads.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

angerbeet posted:

Still like Nads.

Love her so much

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

angerbeet posted:

Still like Nads.

I didn't realize Vegan Black Metal Chef was that well known.

Also :stare:.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

IRQ posted:

I didn't realize Vegan Black Metal Chef was that well known.

Also :stare:.

I think it's "internet cooking personality solidarity," like that episode of South Park where all of the internet personalities combined, only in real life, but on youtube.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

angerbeet posted:

Made it 44 seconds, and I did that only because I love you so much.

Never hurt me like that again, baby.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

I Ozma Myself posted:

Made it 44 seconds, and I did that only because I love you so much.

Never hurt me like that again, baby.

It's the perfect ammunition Ozma

Elliot Rosewater
Feb 15, 2005
Squee!

angerbeet posted:

Still like Nads.

what did I just watch

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.

angerbeet posted:

Still like Nads.

Why is this even a thing

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sehkmet posted:

Why is this even a thing

The fact that it is is pretty incredible in its own right.

I don't get Cooking Channel, so I've only seen her stuff on their YouTube channel, but I don't dislike Nadia G. Her show seems like Good Eats crossed with Pee Wee's Playhouse, which doesn't seem like that bad a thing, at least in small doses.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

OrangeCrush posted:

Am I the only person who would like to see a show that chronicles the adventures and battles on the line in a busy kitchen during service? I dont watch hells kitchen, cant get over the way he disrespects ppl.

I feel like a lot of these foodies and ppl who watch these shows have no idea what its like working BOH service. I felt such a rush at work, and none of these shows are trying to captialize on it. Rob Irvine does the best job with Rest. Impossible, and I couldnt disagree more with the poster who said that he thinks irvine is a wanna be Ramsey.

I completely agree. I would love a behind the scenes show and not that horrible Rocco Dispirito show on ABC. Occassionally there's a documentary about someone opening a new restaurant but that's about it.

Regarding Food Network in general, the only shows I watch are Restaurant Impossible(getting worse), Iron Chef America, and Chopped. There aren't any good instructional shows anymore. I do like to watch Chuck's Day OFf on Cooking Channel, though. That's about the only instructional show I watch.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just reminded myself of the single best episode of any food-related show ever, No Reservations' Technique special. It's basically a bunch of motherfucking fantastic chefs teaching you how to do some of the most basic and fantastic dishes that you need to know. Tony shows you how to use a knife and how to make Boeuf Bourguignon, Dave Pasternack picks out and cooks a lobster, Jacques Pepin makes the perfect omelet, Carlos Llaguno (Head Chef at Les Halles, Bourdain's old workplace) grills a steak and makes some fries, Laurent Tourondel makes a delicious looking burger, Thomas Keller roasts a chicken (it's so loving easy!), and Scott Conant makes a red sauce. Those names are a million times better than just about anyone who has ever cooked on the Food Network, and it's all the basic stuff that you'll be able to use forever.

(I'm roasting a chicken this week, which is why I dug the episode out of cold storage, and now I'm making burgers too)

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

angerbeet posted:

Still like Nads.

So do I. There's a line in one episode from the bodybuilder guy where he goes 'For just TEN dollars, less than the price of a cup of coffee at the airport!' that makes me laugh so hard every time.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Yoshifan823 posted:

I just reminded myself of the single best episode of any food-related show ever, No Reservations' Technique special. It's basically a bunch of motherfucking fantastic chefs teaching you how to do some of the most basic and fantastic dishes that you need to know. Tony shows you how to use a knife and how to make Boeuf Bourguignon, Dave Pasternack picks out and cooks a lobster, Jacques Pepin makes the perfect omelet, Carlos Llaguno (Head Chef at Les Halles, Bourdain's old workplace) grills a steak and makes some fries, Laurent Tourondel makes a delicious looking burger, Thomas Keller roasts a chicken (it's so loving easy!), and Scott Conant makes a red sauce. Those names are a million times better than just about anyone who has ever cooked on the Food Network, and it's all the basic stuff that you'll be able to use forever.

(I'm roasting a chicken this week, which is why I dug the episode out of cold storage, and now I'm making burgers too)

I just watched this a couple days ago, and it was somewhat unique in that it made me want to roast a chicken and feel like I could do it correctly. Usually it's either an overly complex method or a chicken that sounds like it'd taste like poo poo.

I just have to figure out what I'd do with the massive amount of leftovers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Yoshifan823 posted:

I just reminded myself of the single best episode of any food-related show ever, No Reservations' Technique special. It's basically a bunch of motherfucking fantastic chefs teaching you how to do some of the most basic and fantastic dishes that you need to know.

Yeah, that episode was great. There's a chapter in Medium Raw where Bourdain talks about "normal people" cooking and what everyone should be able to do to cook "well"- and, like I said earlier in the thread, it's all pretty fair and basic. What it boils down to is: Know how to use tools well (know how to dice/mix/etc. correctly), know your basic skills (steaming/sautéing/grilling/etc)-but for real (none of that "yeah, I'm a man. I know how to grill" nonsense you see in backyards all across America, ruining good meat), know how to pick ingredients, and have a set palette of a few dishes that you've practiced and are comfortable with enough that you'd share them with others.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

angerbeet posted:

Still like Nads.

Apparently I don't know enough about the world of cooking in media because if it wasn't for Guy Whatshisface I literally wouldn't have any idea who anyone in that video was or what anything happening was.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Time out people don't like Naddy G? The hell guys, she's one of about four reasons to even have COOK.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

STAC Goat posted:

Apparently I don't know enough about the world of cooking in media because if it wasn't for Guy Whatshisface I literally wouldn't have any idea who anyone in that video was or what anything happening was.

A bunch of them are youtube chefs. So be proud of yourself for not knowing about epic meal time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Business Octopus posted:

A bunch of them are youtube "chefs." So be proud of yourself for not knowing about epic meal time.

Fixed that for you. Epic Meal Time was sort of interesting back when my meat-obsessed roommate and I would watch like 5 minutes of it and maybe share a moment or two on facebook- but it really is a travesty.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's no Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time, I agree.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
For the past few weeks, I've been finding myself watching Good Eats at 11:00 in the morning. I never watched the show before in my life and now I'm kicking myself for being a complete idiot for not doing so. I follow Alton Brown on Twitter and he's pretty drat funny on it, so I figured why not watch it and see what all the hype is about.

Let me say this much, the minute summer hits, I am wrapping a brick in foil, buying a steak and cooking it on the grill. Thank you Alton for your time saving tip.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Jamesman posted:

I used to really like Food Network, but it's just gotten so unbearably awful within the past year or two. I blame it on the cancellation of Ace of Cakes.

I also used to really like the cake challenges they had, but now they feel the need to make it less about the work and more about throwing in these pointless twists and mini-challenges and it's really annoying and I don't like it anymore.

And I'm sick of there being so many "Let's go around America to check out all these restaurants!" shows. Thankfully I'm pretty sure Outrageous Foods is canceled, but there's still like 5 others floating around. The only ones I like are Kid in a Candy Store and Crave because the guys on them are entertaining and the formats are different.

I could complain about Food Network for hours.

All those goddamn cake shows are the reason I stopped watching Food Network. I don't give a gently caress about cakes. I give even less of a gently caress about cakes you can't even eat. Then they went and made a friggin' reality show about baking cakes, in the same style as that awful American Choppers show that ruined Discovery / History channel back in the early 2000s. What the gently caress?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

screenwritersblues posted:

For the past few weeks, I've been finding myself watching Good Eats at 11:00 in the morning. I never watched the show before in my life and now I'm kicking myself for being a complete idiot for not doing so. I follow Alton Brown on Twitter and he's pretty drat funny on it, so I figured why not watch it and see what all the hype is about.

Let me say this much, the minute summer hits, I am wrapping a brick in foil, buying a steak and cooking it on the grill. Thank you Alton for your time saving tip.

*misses the last 6 pages, posts an earnest, honest comment about AB from the heart, untainted by all of our speculation, cynicism, or bellyaching. Actually mentions cooking.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Actually mentions cooking.

I'll get the tar if you bring the feathers.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Jesus Christ posted:

All those goddamn cake shows are the reason I stopped watching Food Network. I don't give a gently caress about cakes. I give even less of a gently caress about cakes you can't even eat. Then they went and made a friggin' reality show about baking cakes, in the same style as that awful American Choppers show that ruined Discovery / History channel back in the early 2000s. What the gently caress?

See, I never minded the cake challenge shows for the spectacular failures and that Kerry lady being bitchy to everyone. And Duff's show was funny just because everyone was so :350:

That TLC guy Buddy and his cake show can gently caress right off, though. I'll never ever watch that.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Jesus Christ posted:

All those goddamn cake shows are the reason I stopped watching Food Network. I don't give a gently caress about cakes. I give even less of a gently caress about cakes you can't even eat.

That's what irks me the most. Those shows would have been fine in a reality TV channel or some sort of arts and crafts channel and people could watch them there, if they're into that sort of thing. But on the loving food network, the bare minimum I expect is that the shows are about something that is at least edible. Even if it's a dude eating giant bugs in a jungle in South Vietnam. Some people eat it, therefore it's food. The same can't be said about the giant, garish monstrosities on those fake cake shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Borh posted:

That's what irks me the most. Those shows would have been fine in a reality TV channel or some sort of arts and crafts channel and people could watch them there, if they're into that sort of thing. But on the loving food network, the bare minimum I expect is that the shows are about something that is at least edible. Even if it's a dude eating giant bugs in a jungle in South Vietnam. Some people eat it, therefore it's food. The same can't be said about the giant, garish monstrosities on those fake cake shows.

I think he meant the fact that they are cakes on television, and therefore he cannot eat them.

The cakes on Ace of Cakes were pretty much always edible unless they were specifically asked to make showpieces. If you watched the short-lived Have Cake, Will Travel though, their cakes were godawful pieces of poo poo. More styrofoam, rice krispie treats, isomalt, and other non-cake and non-edible components than actual cake.

• Locked thread