Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I would have dialed the right light down one stop or so, your highlights are way too close to being blown out for comfort. His white chest is all I saw at first. Hadn't noticed the shadows before reading your text. Overall, the portrait works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Would like some critique on these. The first one I was going for a businessy website-profile look. The left side of his face is too dark for me and I'll add a reflector next time. Also his collar is ballooning out a bit and I need to remember to check that over.

Anything else I missed? I can't tell if the wb is off or not.

Colin Business by bernsai, on Flickr

For this one, I wanted a much more dramatic look, so the shadows dont bother me. He's not happy with how his skin looks though...what's the best way to soften it up?

Colin by bernsai, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

CarrotFlowers posted:

For this one, I wanted a much more dramatic look, so the shadows dont bother me. He's not happy with how his skin looks though...what's the best way to soften it up?

First get rid of the obvious dark blemishes with the spot heal tool, then duplicate layer, grab your clone stamp, set at about 50% opacity, pick a spot, move the cursor about 3-4 pixels to the right, and start going over it. It will blend it for a smoother look.

There are a million ways to do it, but that's one way that is easy to describe.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

The first one is alright, a bit basic as far as lightning goes but that's ok! You nailed what you did very well. It's easy to go overboard on light.

Does he always look that sad? I would have gone a bit tighter on his face since he don't have a tie. Sorry for the critics.

CarrotFlowers posted:

I like this one a lot.

In lightroom, grab the brush tool and use the Soften Skin preset, apply over skin ('O' trigger on and off showing where you are applying it in red if you didn't know) and increase or lower intensity to taste.

IsaacNewton fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 9, 2011

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it. I'll try and soften his skin using each technique this weekend and see what he says.

And yeah, he wasn't very impressed with me. I was taking him away from previous Skyrim time. :rolleyes: I wanted him to put a tie on, but just getting him in the suit was painful enough. I'll try and bribe him with cookies or something next time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

CarrotFlowers posted:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it. I'll try and soften his skin using each technique this weekend and see what he says.

And yeah, he wasn't very impressed with me. I was taking him away from previous Skyrim time. :rolleyes: I wanted him to put a tie on, but just getting him in the suit was painful enough. I'll try and bribe him with cookies or something next time.

Ah, was this a significant other? Those are the worst to shoot :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CarrotFlowers posted:

I'll try and bribe him with cookies or something next time.
Try sex (faster, healthier, and more enjoyable).

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

evil_bunnY posted:

Try sex (faster, healthier, and more enjoyable).

...but then there'll be all sorts of specular highlights from the sweat and the clothing would get all wrinkled and his skin would be too red in the photos....

I think I just admitted I would rather shoot a person than have sex with them....

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Sex for pictures? Be right back; trying it with my wife.

Fake Edit: That didn't work.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Oprah Haza posted:

...but then there'll be all sorts of specular highlights from the sweat and the clothing would get all wrinkled and his skin would be too red in the photos....

I think I just admitted I would rather shoot a person than have sex with them....

Shoot first, have sex later :)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CarrotFlowers posted:

Would like some critique on these. The first one I was going for a businessy website-profile look. The left side of his face is too dark for me and I'll add a reflector next time. Also his collar is ballooning out a bit and I need to remember to check that over.

Anything else I missed? I can't tell if the wb is off or not.

Colin Business by bernsai, on Flickr

The first picture is the picture I take day in and day out, and it's probably the most important picture you'll take from a technical lighting point of view.

If someone needs a super fast, simple headshot, what you did in that photo is what I would do. It's quick. It's easy. It looks good on nearly every facial type. Your shadow side is, maybe a bit dark, but not by more than a third of a stop. If that.

Practice this picture. Once you can set it up and shoot it instinctively, without hassle or fuss, you have the basics of almost all portrait lighting. You might want to add a hair light for some. A kicker for others. Some rim lighting or a background halo. But if there is a portrait lighting standard, this is it. Learn it. Love it. Then break the mold when the opportunity arises and you have the time.

His expression is a bit dour. The collar issue, you noted. Both, easily fixable.

The second pic is good. The contrasty black and white fits the expression.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oprah Haza posted:

The hell's the matter with you? Shoot pictures, then gently caress.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Photo68(8x10) by torgeaux, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

ConfusedUs posted:

The first picture is the picture I take day in and day out, and it's probably the most important picture you'll take from a technical lighting point of view.

If someone needs a super fast, simple headshot, what you did in that photo is what I would do. It's quick. It's easy. It looks good on nearly every facial type. Your shadow side is, maybe a bit dark, but not by more than a third of a stop. If that.

Practice this picture. Once you can set it up and shoot it instinctively, without hassle or fuss, you have the basics of almost all portrait lighting. You might want to add a hair light for some. A kicker for others. Some rim lighting or a background halo. But if there is a portrait lighting standard, this is it. Learn it. Love it. Then break the mold when the opportunity arises and you have the time.

His expression is a bit dour. The collar issue, you noted. Both, easily fixable.

The second pic is good. The contrasty black and white fits the expression.

Thanks for taking the time to look at them. I will keep practicing! I also hopefully will catch him in a better mood next time. I'm doing a shoot with some friends tomorrow, so I really appreciate the feedback, and hopefully we'll get some happier expressions.

Edit:

Torgeaux, I really like that portrait!

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I'm doing school pictures for a preschool next week. Feed me your best stupid kid jokes.

Here's one: What has antlers and sucks blood? A moose-quito.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I think you should tell them every dead baby joke that you know.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

dakana posted:

I'm doing school pictures for a preschool next week. Feed me your best stupid kid jokes.

Ugh, pre-schoolers are hard. Mostly because they're shy. If you can get them to start participating as a group, it'll roll pretty easy. If not...ugh.

I usually lead with this joke:
"Say turkey!" "Did you just call me a turkey?!" *click*

Also, monkey works in place of turkey. You can also try some slapstick. Have a kid give you five, then use the 'recoil' to smack yourself lightly in the nose. Works best on kids in a group to warm them up, since it's hard to do that AND take a picture at the same time. If one laughs, have him do it next. Mix high fives and low fives. Instead of smacking your face, stumble like they knocked you over a bit. Kids eat that stuff up.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What will Bob the Builder be called when he retires?

Bob.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

dakana posted:

Feed me your best stupid kid jokes.

Don't you think the school would frown upon you making fun of their special ed classes?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dakana posted:

Here's one: What has antlers and sucks blood? A moose-quito.

I'm doing volunteer shooting for my kids daycare. The oldest is the group of 5 year olds. I'm getting some mileage from "say cheese when I say now" and taking a shot on THAT now. Then looking confused and accusing them...after the second time that happens, you have a real smile.

The two to three year olds are the killers.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Trying new stuff, Lighting-wise, as well as PP-wise.
Thoughts?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I think it works well in the second photo, it pops a lot of detail in his hands and makes for a strong focal point. It's definitely overkill on the third one (and the first to a lesser extent), the contrast makes it really hard to look at.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
This is the first girl I actually said, "Hey, go over to this wall so I can take photos of you."

And I guess I did the portraits right, because she has told me she "really really really LOVES them."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cyberbob posted:

Trying new stuff, Lighting-wise, as well as PP-wise.
Thoughts?

I like the lighting, especially in the second, but I've never been a fan of the Dave Hill-esque HDR stuff for portraits.

It's distinctive, which is good. There's a unified color palette, which is also good. If you're aiming to create a specific "look" for yourself, you haven't done a bad job!

Try to watch your shadows. The first has a huge, curved, stripe of a shadow across his forehead. The third has stripey shadows around her camera-right cheekbones.

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

I had a photo shoot last night. Other than dealing with my tiny living room and cutting off limbs because I just couldn't back up any further, I felt it went extremely well. She had never modeled before, but you'd never have known it from the results.

An Star by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Love the idea.. Needed an on axis fill light of some sort. Just to brighten it up one or two stops. It's just a little -too- dark at the moment.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah you need to control your shadows mang. Also light string barely clothed lady is like the most cliche shoot ever, but you need to start somewhere.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Iron your backdrop

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Had a fun cheesy, Christmas photoshoot with some friends. Some of my favourites:

IMG_1603 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_1617 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_1686 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_1776-2 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_1820 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_1861 by bernsai, on Flickr

Full set here for those interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/carrot_flowers/sets/72157628412169319/with/6519571783/

As always, any feedback is appreciated!

I also discovered that I cannot hold a nifty fifty at less than 1/100 without motion blur. wtf

edit: forgot to post my favourite one!

IMG_1519 by bernsai, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 16, 2011

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

CarrotFlowers posted:

IMG_1820 by bernsai, on Flickr

I think this is pretty neat. I like the colors.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

CarrotFlowers posted:

I also discovered that I cannot hold a nifty fifty at less than 1/100 without motion blur. wtf
Well on a crop a nifty fifty is around 80mm, so with that 1/focal length rule, it's still kind of close to 1/100.

Also, if a person is moving, 1/100 may not even be enough. Nice photos though! I wish it were snowing here :(

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
All I can see is gums.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

HPL posted:

All I can see is gums.

Now now, let's be nice to the friend "models". Can we focus on the technical/photography aspect of it and not comment my friends' appearances that we have no control over? She has a great personality and loves to laugh, and that just doesn't come through when her mouth is closed.

She's really happy with them, so that's a win in my book.

edit:

Miko posted:

Well on a crop a nifty fifty is around 80mm, so with that 1/focal length rule, it's still kind of close to 1/100.

Also, if a person is moving, 1/100 may not even be enough. Nice photos though! I wish it were snowing here :(

Somehow I always forget about crop factor. That makes me feel slightly better. They were still in most of them though, so it was definitely an error/shakiness on my part.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CarrotFlowers posted:

Now now, let's be nice to the friend "models". Can we focus on the technical/photography aspect of it and not comment my friends' appearances that we have no control over? She has a great personality and loves to laugh, and that just doesn't come through when her mouth is closed.

She's really happy with them, so that's a win in my book.

Personally I think she's pretty cute :shobon:

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
drat snow makes for some pretty light. Kind of refreshing to see happy smiling people for once too :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CarrotFlowers posted:

Somehow I always forget about crop factor. That makes me feel slightly better. They were still in most of them though, so it was definitely an error/shakiness on my part.
Lift a weight and cut down on the caffeine if it bothers you

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

Love the idea.. Needed an on axis fill light of some sort. Just to brighten it up one or two stops. It's just a little -too- dark at the moment.

You think so? I did use some fill on some other shots, but I wanted to try and use the star lights as the only light source if I could and create some intimacy or something.

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah you need to control your shadows mang. Also light string barely clothed lady is like the most cliche shoot ever, but you need to start somewhere.

But it's Christmas! *sigh* I know. I wanted to see if I could do it, and she liked the results so hey, there it is. I'll fully admit I'm still figuring this out,. and this has been a good learning experience all around. There are many things I would have done differently after sleeping on it for a day. Starting with...

Paragon8 posted:

Iron your backdrop

...my attention to detail. :/ I just need to buy rolls of paper or something. That back drop is so awkward and was not the best choice for this shoot.

I really do appreciate the feedback and critique. It's extremely helpful.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

MrOpus posted:

I had a photo shoot last night. Other than dealing with my tiny living room and cutting off limbs because I just couldn't back up any further, I felt it went extremely well. She had never modeled before, but you'd never have known it from the results.

Nice lighting between the leg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MrOpus posted:

Here's something I've discovered about cloth backdrops.

They look like poo poo. All of them. The trick is to fix it or hide it.

Fixing it takes time.

The best way is to toss it in the dryer along with a very wet hand towel and run it till everything is nearly (but not entirely) dry. You get an effect akin to steaming, so once you hang it (while still slightly damp) the creases just fall out.

If you have more time, hang it and be prepared to wait hours. Once hung, spritz it with water on the back side (you don't want to leave stains on the photo-facing side) and you'll get nearly the same effect. You may have to spritz several times.

Hiding it is easier.

The easiest way is to put enough distance between your subject and background that the background is out of focus.

Secondly, you can just wad your background up instead of folding it. This gets you a webwork of completely random squiggles, and it works best on abstract backgrounds. Not so much on solid colors or any sort of 'scene'.

Lastly, creases (mostly) only show when light hits them at an angle. If you can blast your light straight at it, you'll 'flatten' all but the deepest creases. You can still use shaping portrait lighting on your subject if you light your background separately.

As for the portrait itself, I wish her face were lit a little better. If you didn't want to ruin the effect (which is nice), you could throw a really long snoot (a grid could probably work too) on a light, pointed at her face from the lower camera-right side. At a low enough power setting, it would light her face some more without seeming out of place.