Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Anyone that tells you to skip Diabolus in Musica and God Hates Us All is not your friend and wants you to be miserable.

I'm not really into Diabolus, but GHUA was alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
I've had a massive thing for Guided By Voices over the last few months, so I'd know like to know where to go with Robert Pollard and Tobin Sprout's solo stuff, as well as any other projects Bob was involved in, like Boston Spaceships.

Flac fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 30, 2011

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Where do I start with Porcupine Tree?

I just recently listened to In Absentia and love it, but have no idea which album to hit up next.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Cervixalot posted:

Where do I start with Porcupine Tree?

I just recently listened to In Absentia and love it, but have no idea which album to hit up next.
If you're more into the harder songs on In Absentia, go chronologically forward: Fear of a Blank Planet and Deadwing, and then maybe The Incident. If you want something slightly more poppish, go back a couple albums to Stupid Dream. Lightbulb Sun is pretty good too.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blast Fantasto posted:

Wow, thanks for the amazing recommendations guys.

I'm already way in to Husker Du, Bad Brains and Fugazi, but basically everything else posted is new to me.

The Minutemen seems to be the one people are posting the most, so I'll probably start there.

Of all the Hardcore bands from that era, the Bad Brains are probably the tightest and technical (aside from Greg Ginn's guitar playing).

A funny quote from the documentary "American Hardcore", someone, maybe Chuck Dukowski carries on about how Hardcore Punk music was music for white kids by white kids. I'm paraphrasing a bit here. Anyways, it's ironic to me that the all-black band is the BEST example of the genre.

Also, pick up American Hardcore. It's a good doc.

------------------

If I really enjoy ISIS, and Rosetta and Neurosis, would Melvins be the next band to check out ? I'm basically looking for slower heavy atmospheric music with complex drumming. I'm also a big Tool and Meshuggah fan if that helps.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 2, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Melvins are awesome, slower, heavy and occasionally atmospheric.

They do not, however, have complex drumming. You may still like them, but you're not going to get the Danny Carey/Aaron Harris experience from Dale Crover.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Can someone point me to some good Glam/Hair metal bands?
I've been listening to a bit of Motley Crue recently and the first GNR album

I'm also aware that the genre has some really bad music and i'd like to stay away from that but I don't have much of a clue. Thanks

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Hollenhammer posted:

Can someone point me to some good Glam/Hair metal bands?
I've been listening to a bit of Motley Crue recently and the first GNR album

I'm also aware that the genre has some really bad music and i'd like to stay away from that but I don't have much of a clue. Thanks

Britny Fox, Cinderella, RATT, Poison (serious), Faster Pussycat, Hanoi Rocks, New York Dolls, Twisted Sister, WASP, Quiet Riot, Bang Tango, Skid Row, L.A. Guns, Dokken... that should be enough.

EDIT - KISS, but stop with Love Gun, don't buy anything after that album. Forgot Alice Cooper (his 70s stuff), Mott the Hoople, T. Rex, David Bowie (70s Bowie)... that's some of the classic glam

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 2, 2011

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
So, Jay-Z. I'm not exactly a fan of rap, rather I'm a fan of good/catchy music, so I quite enjoyed Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. I don't care if you think I'm terrible - it has great hooks - as does Born This Way, which I also enjoyed.

Basically, does he have any albums that match or come close to the ultimate narcisstic personality demonstrated by each of the above artists on their respective albums?

I've heard The Blueprint is pretty good, so I can check that out. How about American Gangster, the concept album which actually isn't based around the film?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

If you're looking for Jay's album that's the equivalent to Twisted Fantasy, you're probably going to want The Black Album---it was touted to be his last record before retiring permanently from the studio (which obviously didn't happen), and it basically was set up as an autobiography on a single CD. It's got hooks galore, the big singles being 99 Problems, Dirt Off Your Shoulder and Change Clothes---Encore got play as well, but more when he did it with Linkin Park a bit later on.

I dunno if I'm alone in this or not, but American Gangster was super-forgettable for me. Blueprint is solid, though.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Thanks, I'll check out the Black Album and give The Blueprint a full listen-through.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Where do I start with Django Reinhardt?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

How about Blake Babies? Should I just start at the beginning, or is another album the best one?

They're another band that slipped through the cracks in my music collection, but they have all the elements of some of my favorite bands so I need to fix that.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
This is stupidly broad, but where do I start with dubstep? I've heard some of it in clubs and stuff but none of my friends listen to it and I really don't know who the good artists are or what the best songs are.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Tempa's Dubstep Allstars / Roots Of Dubstep
Soul Jazz's Box Of Dub / Steppa's Delight / Future Bass
Punch Drunk's Worth The Weight: Bristol Dubstep Classics
Deep Medi Musik's Deep Medi Releases
Hyperdub's 5

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 12, 2011

Bagelsport
Nov 14, 2005

I picked up a doctor - he's good with a knife
Says anaesthetic's a waste
of his time

Auditore posted:

So, Jay-Z. I'm not exactly a fan of rap, rather I'm a fan of good/catchy music, so I quite enjoyed Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. I don't care if you think I'm terrible - it has great hooks - as does Born This Way, which I also enjoyed.

Not to derail, but why would anyone think you're terrible for enjoying MBDTF? It's a fantastic album.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Because his entire post smacks of "I don't normally listen to Rap, but..." and MBDTF is one of those albums that attracts that crowd?

Edit for content: The best Jay-Z album is his first, Reasonable Doubt, and Jay-Z's entire career is, in fact, the very definition of diminishing returns, as every subsequent album gets almost exponentially worse. So start with that. The Blueprint is alright, too, I guess.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 12, 2011

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Luckluster posted:

Not to derail, but why would anyone think you're terrible for enjoying MBDTF? It's a fantastic album.

I was referring to the people who hate rap and don't think it qualifies as music. It is a great album imo.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's a biggy: Phillip Glass? I listened to the score to Koyaanisqatsi a lot as a child and I've always loved it. I've been looking at albums of his work, but he's just so damned prolific that it makes it hard to find where to start.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Dolphin posted:

Here's a biggy: Phillip Glass? I listened to the score to Koyaanisqatsi a lot as a child and I've always loved it. I've been looking at albums of his work, but he's just so damned prolific that it makes it hard to find where to start.

I can't claim to be an expert on the man but Orion is a pretty loving great album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHJ163ZWDC4

http://www.amazon.com/Philip-Glass-Ensemble-various-artists/dp/B0009B835O

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Dolphin posted:

I am mostly familiar with Glass' piano works. I suggest checking out his Solo Piano album http://www.amazon.com/Philip-Glass-Solo-Piano/dp/B0000026Y4

it features the five Metamorphosis pieces, and two incredible pieces named "Wichita Sutra Vortex" and "Mad Rush" the latter being my all time favorite Glass piece (and of all time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW3Y4OuTPHQ

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Dolphin posted:

I like Akhnaten and Music in Twelve Parts a lot, and those mentioned above.

He has also done a bunch of forgettable crap like The Hours OST and the album with Allen Ginsberg that you should probably avoid.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dolphin posted:

I liked Glassworks, which you can find in its entirety on Youtube.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
This might go along with Glass, but where do I start with ambient in general? I've been listening to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sountrack (I don't know if this is considered ambient or even good ambient) and have in particular fallen in love with piano based tracks such as this.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

LtTennisBall posted:

This might go along with Glass, but where do I start with ambient in general? I've been listening to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sountrack (I don't know if this is considered ambient or even good ambient) and have in particular fallen in love with piano based tracks such as this.

When I heard your link, the first modern band I thought of was Balmorhea. I'm not extremely familiar with them, but I did like their first self-titled album from a few years ago. Not sure if this would be a proper starting point, but I'm far from knowledgeable, or all that interested, in trying to define what is and is not ambient (or any other specific genre).

The first non-modern artist I thought of was Eric Satie (you will recognize this), who was definitely a major influence on the minimalists and, I assume, many ambient musicians. Everyone should start with Satie at some point, because Satie is awesome. You will hear traces of Satie in a plethora of music over the last 100+ years.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

LtTennisBall posted:

Just to go backwards with this, there are some fine Trent Reznor tracks like this on his earlier soundtrack with Atticus Ross for The Social Network, albeit a little more industrial at times. There's another album of just instrumentals he did under Nine Inch Nails called Ghosts I-IV and an album of B-sides called And All That Could Have Been: Still that has a similar feel to the half that is non-verbal song deconstructions.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Nest and Deaf Center might also be up your alley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVAsfZsy0xE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLoiI0PSv6k

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

thepopstalinist posted:

Nest and Deaf Center might also be up your alley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVAsfZsy0xE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLoiI0PSv6k

this is perfect (Deaf Center anyway, I'll listen to Nest after this track is over), thank you. the rest of the suggestions were good to, thanks!

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
The Rolling Stones? Where do I start with them?

EDIT

Oh, and Pixies.

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 14, 2011

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Suicide Watch posted:

The Rolling Stones? Where do I start with them?

I'd say their "classic" run of albums in the late 60s to the early 70s. They consist of Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and the double album Exile on main st. I have a copy of Some Girls on LP and it's pretty good too.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Suicide Watch posted:

Oh, and Pixies.
They only had four albums, and everyone's going to tell you to start with Surfer Rosa, even thought Trompe le Monde is their best.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Moe_Rahn posted:

They only had four albums, and everyone's going to tell you to start with Surfer Rosa, even thought Trompe le Monde is their best.

If by "best" you mean "the exact opposite of that."

But yeah, Surfer Rosa and Doolittle are the standard places to start, but the band's discography isn't very big to begin with. Four albums, one EP (two if you count that self-titled one), and a b-sides compilation and you're all set to go (Pixies at the BBC is kind of lousy so ignore that one).

Ikari Worrier fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 14, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Auditore posted:

I'd say their "classic" run of albums in the late 60s to the early 70s. They consist of Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and the double album Exile on main st. I have a copy of Some Girls on LP and it's pretty good too.

I'll back up Auditore here, but I would also suggest, either before or after you get your feet wet with these LPs, to consider hitting one of the vintage Stones singles collections (maybe High Tides and Green Grass, maybe Sucking in the Seventies, Hot Rocks overlaps hugely with the era that Audi mentioned)---most of their lesser albums are just as likely to contain world-shaking songs as are the big ones listed above, it's just that the rest of the material will be skippable. (biggest offender: Their Satanic Majesties Request - there's a lot of stupid on that record, but not hearing She's A Rainbow or 2000 Light Years From Home is a crime. I'll also go to bat for Citadel, but I'm a nerd like that)

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Where do I begin with acid house?

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
Where do I start with Yo La Tengo? I saw them during the wheel spin tour and I ended up seeing a Dump set, which was good, but I think I want to start really getting into them. So where do I begin?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

safety dan posted:

Where do I start with Yo La Tengo? I saw them during the wheel spin tour and I ended up seeing a Dump set, which was good, but I think I want to start really getting into them. So where do I begin?

Here is my response from a couple of years ago:

Voodoofly posted:

Painful and I can Hear the Heart Beating as One. Painful is my favorite album by them, its fairly bleak with a lot of organ, but I love the overall mood and sound (Sudden Organ and Nowhere Near are two of my favorite Yo la Tengo songs). ICHTHBAO has more recognizable radio songs (Sugarcube, Autumn Sweater) and is more upbeat - most people usually list it as the best Yo la Tengo album.

They have other good albums, and some other lackluster albums (actually the Shaker EP is one of my favorites just for the Richard and Linda Thompson cover), but definitely start with those two.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Psychic T.V., their discography is huge. What would be a good place to start with them?

EDIT - Also the Legendary Pink Dots, another huge discography and I don't know where to even start.

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 26, 2011

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

"Asylum" is my favourite Legendary Pink Dots album (and one of the few ones I've actually heard :blush:)

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

the Dots have a formidable discography, and I think most everyone offers their favorite album as a good starting point. For me, that would be Crushed Velvet Apocalypse. The early material is psychedelic pop, while the latter stuff will play more in the experimental arena if that helps you at all. With a band with their amount of material, it becomes what you want to hear and there's not really a wrong answer.

If you like what you hear from the Dots and can't get enough Ka-Spel, check out The Tear Garden. It's a collaboration project featuring members of the Dots and Skinny Puppy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

hatelull posted:

the Dots have a formidable discography, and I think most everyone offers their favorite album as a good starting point. For me, that would be Crushed Velvet Apocalypse. The early material is psychedelic pop, while the latter stuff will play more in the experimental arena if that helps you at all. With a band with their amount of material, it becomes what you want to hear and there's not really a wrong answer.

If you like what you hear from the Dots and can't get enough Ka-Spel, check out The Tear Garden. It's a collaboration project featuring members of the Dots and Skinny Puppy.

I like Tear Garden and Skinny Puppy a lot and have Tired Eyes Slowly Burning and The Last Man To Fly. That's why I wanted to hear some LPD. I'd guess I'm more interested in the psych/pop stuff rather than the experimental stuff. I'll check out Crushed Velvet Apocalypse since there seems to be a general consensus about that being a good album.

EDIT - Ok so I got Crushed Velvet Apocalypse and Golden Dawn, I really like Golden Dawn so which albums are similar to that?

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 26, 2011