Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I finished Interesting Times seven months after starting it for the 3rd time, I always forget poor Teach doesn't make it to the end.

Which one of the Silver Hoarde copped it that made Cohen decide that not even being a Emperor was worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Forgot which one, but Cohen talks about it in The Last Hero, and about how he choked to death on a chicken bone.

EDIT: Old Vincent was the one. And it was a cucumber.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Forgot which one, but Cohen talks about it in The Last Hero, and about how he choked to death on a chicken bone.

EDIT: Old Vincent was the one. And it was a cucumber.

I wonder what happened to the poor Agatean Chef?

Moistly
Nov 12, 2011
Vimes is an agent of Ventinari. He was sent to the countryside as a diplomat-spy to ensure that Vetinari's principality shares and is responsible under the legal framework of Ankh Morpork. The dilemma for Vetinari wasn't that a race was being subjugated but that the magistrates held too much power and were avoiding taxes smuggling high priced goods.

Vetinari uses Vimes as a tool of his power to ensure that his principalities are loyal. Once the problem was fixed the old efficient social structure was restored.

Vetinari used the emotional appeal of the goblins to create stability by bringing together all of the major powers and creating a common goal. Goblins are now available as a cheap workforce in Ankh Morpork.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wonder what happened to the poor Agatean Chef?

Do you really need to cook a concubine cucumber that much? In any case, I think Cohen would probably have been understanding. That or he just went into the 'suicidally gloomy' phase of the barbarian hero mindset the instant he got the news and began planning his revenge on the gods straight away.

Also, I've been catching up on this thread and a while back there was some chat about Kirby's covers. Did anyone else think that the insane detail in Methodia Rascal's painting in Thud might have been a sort of homage to Kirby?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Moistly posted:

Vimes is an agent of Ventinari. He was sent to the countryside as a diplomat-spy to ensure that Vetinari's principality shares and is responsible under the legal framework of Ankh Morpork. The dilemma for Vetinari wasn't that a race was being subjugated but that the magistrates held too much power and were avoiding taxes smuggling high priced goods.

Vetinari uses Vimes as a tool of his power to ensure that his principalities are loyal. Once the problem was fixed the old efficient social structure was restored.

Vetinari used the emotional appeal of the goblins to create stability by bringing together all of the major powers and creating a common goal. Goblins are now available as a cheap workforce in Ankh Morpork.

Yes, that was implied. What's your point?

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.

Megazver posted:

The first three books in the series are different in tone from the rest of them and, in opinion of a lot of people including me, aren't all that great. I'd suggest Going Postal, Small Gods or Guards, Guards as the first book to read.

DontMockMySmock posted:

If you've got Small Gods or access to it (library or something?), read that first, just because it's awesome. Otherwise, going in published order is a pretty good idea, but you might want to skip one or more of Equal Rites, Sourcery, and Eric. If you don't like the first two, definitely skip those three. Pyramids is also arguably skippable, but different in tone from those first few.

Now, look at the remaining two-dozen-odd books that I haven't called "skippable" - those are your reading material for the foreseeable future, and they are all incredibly good. You're in for a great ride.

edit: Also, there are "guides" for what books to read before other books, but published order takes care of that nicely (also puts them in more-or-less chronological order, story-wise, with a couple exceptions). And there are a lot of running gags and things that will build up steam best if you just read in published order.

Yeah I saw the reading guides but I wanted to know if the published order was considered better and I think I will go with it not skipping anything. I think for this kind of serie where the universe seems to be the focus, I am better off just reading everything.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Imazul posted:

Yeah I saw the reading guides but I wanted to know if the published order was considered better and I think I will go with it not skipping anything. I think for this kind of serie where the universe seems to be the focus, I am better off just reading everything.

Some prefer reading by series, some reading chronologically. Honestly it doesn't matter too much, they are a ton of fun either way.

The good thing is none of the books require a previous book to be understood, even the series-based ones. It surely helps, and some jokes are better understood, but not required.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It doesn't really matter what order you read them in, although some of the more recent novels refer much more heavily to previous ones than the older novels did.

I read them all pretty randomly, starting with either Men At Arms or Witches Abroad. Men At Arms was the new novel at the time, anyway. Men At Arms might have been a tiny bit funnier if you'd read Guards! Guards! first, but since it's so funny to begin with, you don't lose much at all.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Once you've finished them all, go back and re-read them and read all the future-plot lines and event references he has salted throughout the earlier books (like Borogravia being mentioned in Thief of Time before appearing as a warzone in Monstrous Regiment)

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I took forever to start reading them because I wasn't sure about the order and holy crap there were a shitton of discworld novels even back then in the early 00's. I think Winterspring was brand spanking new at the time. I finally decided on the reverse order they were listed in one of the opening pages because for some reason the list was/is backwards.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

I read them all pretty randomly, starting with either Men At Arms or Witches Abroad. Men At Arms was the new novel at the time, anyway. Men At Arms might have been a tiny bit funnier if you'd read Guards! Guards! first, but since it's so funny to begin with, you don't lose much at all.

Men at Arms was my first Discworld book. There's only one caution with reading randomly or not in published order: you can definitely see that Pratchett's style evolved over time.

The early Rincewind books in particular are a lot rougher than even the start of most of the other series.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I was hooked when I caught the graphic novel of The Light Fantastic at my Secondary Schools Library back in 2000.

Never looked back.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The first Discworld novel I ever read was Going Postal, via the public library. The second Discworld novel was all of them, in a year-long reading binge.

Moistly
Nov 12, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yes, that was implied. What's your point?

I just wanted to point out the Machiavellian aspect to Vetinari in Snuff as a few pages ago someone mentioned that Vetinari was shown to be sentimental.

I'm not trying to win an argument or anything.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I got into Pratchett because my parents brought me a The Colour of Magic audiotape when I was but a wee lad. :3:

Wingon
May 7, 2007

LETS GO DRINK DRUNK
For me it was also Colour of magic, that I borrowed from the library some 10-11 years ago. Then I went a long time without reading a lot of Pratchett, and looking at the list there seems to be a whole lot of them I haven't read. Which is both good and bad. Bad because I haven't read them, good because I get to read them.

Going through Hogfather at the moment, and enjoying it. It's making me go all warm and fuzzy, and t'is the season.

Got eight more books on the way, one of which I've read before, a long while ago (Guards! Guards!), and the rest of that particular line of books (Thanks amazon christmas bundle), and Going Postal.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Pratchett wasn't known in the US flyover states in the 90s, so my reading order was 'in whatever order I can find them'. I read Soul Music, the one Pratchett book my library carried, and was hooked. After a year or so of fruitlessly checking bookshops and slightly-less-fruitless interlibrary loans, they started to get more popular, with cover design that was clearly intended to ruin Mr Pratchett's good name.

If the queen had seen this, poor Terry would never have been knighted. I mean, seriously, what the crap.

(I own all the US terrible cover editions and love them to bits)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Leospeare posted:

Pratchett wasn't known in the US flyover states in the 90s, so my reading order was 'in whatever order I can find them'. I read Soul Music, the one Pratchett book my library carried, and was hooked. After a year or so of fruitlessly checking bookshops and slightly-less-fruitless interlibrary loans, they started to get more popular, with cover design that was clearly intended to ruin Mr Pratchett's good name.

If the queen had seen this, poor Terry would never have been knighted. I mean, seriously, what the crap.

(I own all the US terrible cover editions and love them to bits)

When Snuff came out my reaction was "It took 30 years for the US to get non-lovely covers?"

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Started re-reading Thief of Time a few days ago. My first Discworld book, forgotten how much I'd enjoyed it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
God, yes. Thief of Time probably cracks the top five for me.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think it's hard to decide whether I like the Death books or the Watch ones more, they're both fantastic.

Speaking of Death: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pQUKV9MuM

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

I think it's hard to decide whether I like the Death books or the Watch ones more, they're both fantastic.

Speaking of Death: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pQUKV9MuM

Speaking of Missing Presumed, Rincewind/Eric Idle in the opening cutscene was surprisingly right about missing those sort of games too :(.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

YggiDee posted:

God, yes. Thief of Time probably cracks the top five for me.
I like the bits without Susan so much better than the bits with Susan that I'm still not sure why she's there...

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
Well I just finished The Colour of Magic and I thought it was great and funny so I think me and Terry Pratchett will get along just fine.

I finally understood all the great turtle and sentient chest references I had been missing.

Gun Metal Cray
Apr 27, 2005

Pillbug

Imazul posted:

Well I just finished The Colour of Magic and I thought it was great and funny so I think me and Terry Pratchett will get along just fine.

I finally understood all the great turtle and sentient chest references I had been missing.

:toot:

Next: The Light Fantastic

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)

Pope Guilty posted:

When Snuff came out my reaction was "It took 30 years for the US to get non-lovely covers?"

When the original Colour of Magic, and Equal Rites came out they had the Kirby covers. The following 8 or so ones had Darryl K Sweet interpretations of the Kirby covers and they made me finally realize that I really HATE Darryl K Sweet.
Then they decided to get someone with no imagination to turn out uninspired covers (probably wanted to get more readers to the X Files books) and finally they got someone with more skill and no real imagination to do the re-prints.

I am told that you can't tell a book by a cover, but try getting a job in a bank with a nose-ring and tatoo'd earlobes, yea? Who picks up an ugly book?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Rule .303 posted:

When the original Colour of Magic, and Equal Rites came out they had the Kirby covers. The following 8 or so ones had Darryl K Sweet interpretations of the Kirby covers and they made me finally realize that I really HATE Darryl K Sweet.
Then they decided to get someone with no imagination to turn out uninspired covers (probably wanted to get more readers to the X Files books) and finally they got someone with more skill and no real imagination to do the re-prints.

I am told that you can't tell a book by a cover, but try getting a job in a bank with a nose-ring and tatoo'd earlobes, yea? Who picks up an ugly book?

And poor Charles Stross:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What the gently caress is that?^

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like the bits without Susan so much better than the bits with Susan that I'm still not sure why she's there...
I think she's a decent character, not the best.

Just finished Thief of Time, cracking book. :) Might bounce onto Soul Music(?). Not read that one in years.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

And poor Charles Stross:

We've had this book in the sci-fi section of the store where I work for years. Nobody's ever bought it. I find it hard to believe that it's secretly good.

Flipswitch posted:

I think she's a decent character, not the best.
I liked her a lot more in her other books, particularly Hogfather. (Apart from the "inner babysitter" line.) She felt out of place in Thief of Time.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
My first discworld book was "Sourcery" which I managed to pick up at church fair a long time ago. I enjoyed it a lot but never really read more of the series until much later; around 10 years later.

I was in for a bit of a surprise when I started to listen to the audiobook of Eric and thought to myself hang on a minute I am sure I remember reading this before... Don't know how it happened all I know is the very first discworld book I purchased ended up with Sourcery on the cover but the book actually contained Eric. It wasn't just the wrong dusk jacket either, I had purchased a paperback copy! Guess that explains why someone had donated it to a church fair...

This did explain why when I had listened to the audiobook of Sourcery earlier the scene of Rincewind running away from death never actually appeared like how I remembered or the whole plot about escaping from hell.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is true for everything that involves Susan ever.

I could never tell apart Kidby and Kirby without a google, so I'll go with "the deformed people guy who did the first Pratchett covers sucks, the guy who does them now is good". Also on a tangential note, the Israeli cover for Ender's game features the Enterprise, which is so stupid that I literally cannot comprehend the thought process that led to that decision.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 14, 2011

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

FactsAreUseless posted:

We've had this book in the sci-fi section of the store where I work for years. Nobody's ever bought it. I find it hard to believe that it's secretly good.

It was a 2009 Hugo nominee. :ssh:

Which really says more about the Hugos than the book. I read it as part of the voters' pack and thought it was good, not great.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fordan posted:

It was a 2009 Hugo nominee. :ssh:

Which really says more about the Hugos than the book. I read it as part of the voters' pack and thought it was good, not great.
Well the obvious solution is that future editions of the book should have "2009 Hugo Nominee" printed in WordArt across her computer-generated cleavage.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not bad. It's a spy novel set in a future all-robot posthuman society. The main character is a repurposed former sexbot/lovebot, so the cover's roughly appropriate, but it's probably no more sexed up than your average James Bond novel.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Yeah, it's a decent enough book. The problem is authors get virtually no input into the covers put on their books.

To compare, here's the UK cover art:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The main character is a repurposed former sexbot/lovebot, so the cover's roughly appropriate, but it's probably no more sexed up than your average James Bond novel.

The cover happens to be a pretty accurate depiction of the protagonist, yes. It's just completely useless as a cover that anyone would want to be seen holding.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 15, 2011

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)

Xander77 posted:

I could never tell apart Kidby and Kirby without a google, so I'll go with "the deformed people guy who did the first Pratchett covers sucks, the guy who does them now is good".

Kirby did sci-fi covers for DAW books for a long time. He did some of the best ones for Ron Goulart books.

Correct me if Im wrong, but didn't he also do Captain America way-back-when?

OOPS!

Jack and Josh are not the same.

Rule .303 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 16, 2011

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Rule .303 posted:

Kirby did sci-fi covers for DAW books for a long time. He did some of the best ones for Ron Goulart books.

Correct me if Im wrong, but didn't he also do Captain America way-back-when?

OOPS!

Now I want to see Jack Kirby Discworld covers. And I never will.

... what I'm really saying is that someone should draw some, ASAP.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Unkempt posted:

Now I want to see Jack Kirby Discworld covers. And I never will.

... what I'm really saying is that someone should draw some, ASAP.
I just want those ridiculous Silver Age fakeout covers for Pratchett books. Maybe Lords and Ladies? Magrat and Nanny Ogg standing over Granny Weatherwax' body, and there's a giant swarm of bees, and a text box reading: "THE DEATH OF GRANNY WEATHERWAX?!" and another reading: "FEATURING: THE QUEEN BEE!"

Or Thud: Vimes standing over Helmclever's body with a thought bubble saying "I can't touch him... or they'll think I killed him!" and a text box reading: "SAM VIMES COMMITS MURDER! THE LATEST SHOCKING ADVENTURE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

inklesspen posted:

To compare, here's the UK cover art:

Nobody is ever allowed to complain about the difference between the US and UK covers of anything. Ever.

It's a decent novel. Not one of Stross' best, but decent.