Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
I wish Puck would have stayed as a weird little naked elf that made people think I was reading gay comic books than the weird little onion thing he is now. I prefer my Berserk black and depressing.

Also, I am wondering how much is exactly going to make it into the movies, and if the movies will catch up to the current content since Miura is apparently dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
He's not dead. He's just got an unhealthy obsession with something called The Idolmaster and an eroge adaptation of the Romance Of The Three Kingdoms

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Flergatron 3000 posted:

He's just got an unhealthy obsession with something called The Idolmaster
That has to be the most generic-looking sugary crap I've seen in a long time, but I forgive Miura because he needs to do something light and soft to keep from killing himself.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Flergatron 3000 posted:

He's not dead. He's just got an unhealthy obsession with something called The Idolmaster and an eroge adaptation of the Romance Of The Three Kingdoms

Again and again, these are people placing over emphasis on jokes/ his hobbies.

Miura's release schedule this year was actually pretty regular too, relatively speaking. We basically got a chapter-per-month worth of material. Which is about right given the artistic quality. Compare to Otoyomegatari, for example, which is about the same art-level but is bi-monthly. Vinland Saga is monthly and the same art level as well.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Agreed. This year was a pretty good year for releases, overall. Pretty good chapters, too. Just when I thought I had had it with pirates, Miura throws me some undead fish-demon pirates and refreshes things. How awesome.:allears:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah, berserk has been out at a VERY good pace (historically speaking).

The movies will certainly catch up to the current content... assuming each release does well. As soon as one tanks it's over.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Most of the current island arc has been pretty good. It is just that the prior ship chapters came out at an incredibly slow pace, and even those were interrupted by Griffith's war which also suffered from slow releases at times. The manga simply spent too much time away from Guts.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I am so looking forward to these movies. The purists over at SkullKnight.net (read: the mods) have been hating on the movie because images came out where Griffith's costume isn't exactly right! Or Gut's sword isn't as detailed as it should be! Goddamn, you'd think these people have never heard of simplifying designs for animation. Geezus. It's Studio 4C, we all know it'll look amazing in motion. And motion is what animation is all about.

Anyway I really hope these movies do well, or at least in DVD/Bluray sales. That's what will really decide if they keep going with them.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ccs posted:

I am so looking forward to these movies. The purists over at SkullKnight.net (read: the mods) have been hating on the movie because images came out where Griffith's costume isn't exactly right! Or Gut's sword isn't as detailed as it should be! Goddamn, you'd think these people have never heard of simplifying designs for animation. Geezus. It's Studio 4C, we all know it'll look amazing in motion. And motion is what animation is all about.

Anyway I really hope these movies do well, or at least in DVD/Bluray sales. That's what will really decide if they keep going with them.

There's a post in their movie thread that reads like this:

":qq: Miura if you vist SK.net and read this you must know that your fans are not happy!"

Because you know he's the one making the film.

I browse that thread every so often just to see if there's any news or new trailers or anything like that and their entire community basically wants a loving perfect, flawless, 1:1 conversion from the manga across all three movies. No one seems willing to accept the fact that Studio 4C is in the business of making movies, so making cuts and truncating certain details are guaranteed to happen. Even the smallest, cosmetic changes are an affront to the entire fanbase and an insult to glorious Mirua-san! ("The Band of the Hawk logo is improperly proportioned in the film! How can you be so careless, Studio 4C!" :arghfist::spergin:)

I'm curious as to how to them it's COMPLETELY ABSURD to alter the assassination sequence so that Guts covers his face and uses a sword that isn't easy to recognize later on, but I'm afraid I would get a wall of text about it. Is it unreasonable to think, being someone who grew up in loving war zones and poo poo, he would have at least a small idea as to how assassinations work?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Awesome Welles posted:

I'm curious as to how to them it's COMPLETELY ABSURD to alter the assassination sequence so that Guts covers his face and uses a sword that isn't easy to recognize later on, but I'm afraid I would get a wall of text about it. Is it unreasonable to think, being someone who grew up in loving war zones and poo poo, he would have at least a small idea as to how assassinations work?

I'm so glad that they're doing something about this. It's always seemed a little ridiculous that Guts somehow managed to avoid all blame after that fiasco.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I'm so glad that they're doing something about this. It's always seemed a little ridiculous that Guts somehow managed to avoid all blame after that fiasco.

Yeah changes like this I honestly think are for the better. IIRC they complained that it would go against the way Guts is - brash, hot-headed, etc. - but I'm pretty sure if Griffith of all people tells him "I need you murder the gently caress out of this really important dude and you can't be seen doing it, make it quick," shouldn't automatically equal "WELP, BROADSWORD CHARGIN TIME." From a narrative standpoint it doesn't make much sense to me, seeing how he always uses a giant broadsword that, you know, no one else ever loving uses and all it takes is one person to make the connection.

The only other thing I'm a bit surprised people are yelling about is how the 90 minute run time somehow means that Guts' childhood is going to get cut.

Now I'll admit I'd be really surprised and disappointed if it didn't make at least the first film, but has anyone tried reading those chapters again? I thumbed through them today out of curiosity and it seemed like I was through him being found by Shisu and Gambino all the way up to killing the poo poo out of Basuzo's face in just a few minutes. Didn't the anime get through it in 10 minutes or some poo poo?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Awesome Welles posted:

Cool, so they're going to be changing that sequence to make more sense. For as detail oriented as Miura usually is, Guts using his enormous sword always seemed like a huge oversight.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Haha, just managed to get one of my friends to read the manga after showing her the movie trailer. I consider this a success considering she likes that creepy demon butler anime and Hetalia.

You will have taste :argh:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Hetalia owns hard, man. Especially the racist as hell English version. :colbert:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Awesome Welles posted:

There's a post in their movie thread that reads like this:

":qq: Miura if you vist SK.net and read this you must know that your fans are not happy!"

Because you know he's the one making the film.

I browse that thread every so often just to see if there's any news or new trailers or anything like that and their entire community basically wants a loving perfect, flawless, 1:1 conversion from the manga across all three movies. No one seems willing to accept the fact that Studio 4C is in the business of making movies, so making cuts and truncating certain details are guaranteed to happen. Even the smallest, cosmetic changes are an affront to the entire fanbase and an insult to glorious Mirua-san! ("The Band of the Hawk logo is improperly proportioned in the film! How can you be so careless, Studio 4C!" :arghfist::spergin:)

Yeah, it makes a lot of sense for them to alter that scene.
Glad to know people over here have much more reasonable expectations for the film.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
Are we referring to THE assassination where Guts kills the King of Midland's brother and his son?

I always found it interesting that on the second dispatch Guts does for Griffith, he wears a fancy feather cap and uses a different, lighter sword, the same one he defeats Griffith with. I really loved that new sword. Of course his other sword was broken after the One Hundred Man Battle, and the duel with Boscogne, so there are plenty of good story explanations for these things.

It's nice to know that they are taking an approach towards sense when it comes to changing things, instead of just shoving junk in for the sake of having something to look at.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

A.S.H. posted:

Are we referring to THE assassination where Guts kills the King of Midland's brother and his son?

Yeah, when he kills Julius and accidentally kills Adonis. (spoiler tag in case we've got some new fans in here, I guess?)

quote:

I always found it interesting that on the second dispatch Guts does for Griffith, he wears a fancy feather cap and uses a different, lighter sword, the same one he defeats Griffith with. I really loved that new sword. Of course his other sword was broken after the One Hundred Man Battle, and the duel with Boscogne, so there are plenty of good story explanations for these things.

This is probably the only thing in the trailer I found odd. It shows the duel between Guts and Griffith, but Guts still has the sword that Boscogne breaks in battle. I'm not too concerned with him just getting back the same sword, but the one he kills the rogues and defeats Griffith with is just loving cool looking.

quote:

It's nice to know that they are taking an approach towards sense when it comes to changing things, instead of just shoving junk in for the sake of having something to look at.

On the other hand...

"SK.net sperglords posted:

that's what I don't understand - what change in the storyline can lead to a different Hawks logo? And they also showed the usual one with the wing pattern... And also that feather, just what is that for?

quote:

I hate the fact that they're changing existing material for no reason. What was the reason behind moving Guts's and Casca's conversation to the middle of a bunch of ruins?

quote:

Devil's in the detail. Botching the emblem on the main characters' chests is not a reassuring sign, and actually it does clearly show the limits of the production's attention to detail. Not that it's anything new, as we've had ample proof that they weren't being meticulous since the very first footage we saw, but it's just plain sloppy, no matter how you look at it.

Two minutes of scrolling through it and I just had to stop myself. I can't wait to see what kind of whining and nitpicking the next trailer will bring. :allears:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
You'd think that with the possibility of never having an animation fans would be lenient, but noo

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't believe these complaints are real.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Elentor posted:

I can't believe these complaints are real.

Nerds on the internet.

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011
It's a rehash (somewhat) of the same sort of whinging A Song of Ice and Fire fans had over HBO's Game of Thrones.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

Flergatron 3000 posted:

I read this as Miura was working on an eroge, then I thought about how hosed that entire game would be. Then I also realized I would probably play it just because Miura had a hand in it and out of morbid curiosity:(

I think I have said this before in this thread, but SK is awful. Azaualleus or however the hell he spells that name is insane. I used to read the theory section until I saw him shitposting 24/7 acting as The Right Hand of Kentaro Miura.

That sword thing. Never occurred to me until now.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Salsa McManus posted:

I read this as Miura was working on an eroge, then I thought about how hosed that entire game would be. Then I also realized I would probably play it just because Miura had a hand in it and out of morbid curiosity:(

It'd be a much less subtle version of Saya no Uta

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Salsa McManus posted:

I think I have said this before in this thread, but SK is awful. Azaualleus or however the hell he spells that name is insane. I used to read the theory section until I saw him shitposting 24/7 acting as The Right Hand of Kentaro Miura.

Yeah, SK.net is dominated by two or three sperglord mods with tens of thousands of posts, and everyone else gets shouted down or banned. Kind of a shame that they're the "leading" Berserk fan community.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Niccy Bones posted:

It's a rehash (somewhat) of the same sort of whinging A Song of Ice and Fire fans had over HBO's Game of Thrones.

True, given how crazy people can be about anything though when it comes to anime and manga it always seems like people can get especially angry over even the most trivial changes to the source material.

The SK.net community is convinced that these movies aren't being made for a general audience, but rather it's going to be beamed directly into only the most devoted fans brains and think that if the most hardcore spergiest fans don't like it, everyone at Studio 4C will cancel the entire project, write an apology in their own blood, and commit seppuku.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
Berserk is my favorite anime series but I have yet to touch the manga... until now. I just started the first volume.

Rivers
Jan 19, 2007

xzoto1 posted:

Berserk is my favorite anime series but I have yet to touch the manga... until now. I just started the first volume.

I honestly really envy you right now

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Savor it slowly.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

I'm really digging it so far. I've never read a manga in my entire life nor more than a few comics. Does anyone have any idea on how long it takes Kentaro to draw these? This is beautiful stuff. I feel absolutely obligated to just sit and analyze some of the drawings to make it feel like I'm not wasting his hours of work on a single loving panel.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

xzoto1 posted:

I'm really digging it so far. I've never read a manga in my entire life nor more than a few comics. Does anyone have any idea on how long it takes Kentaro to draw these? This is beautiful stuff. I feel absolutely obligated to just sit and analyze some of the drawings to make it feel like I'm not wasting his hours of work on a single loving panel.

It takes him increasingly longer as the manga goes on. As his artistic ability improves, and as he realizes this is going to be basically his masterpiece/ life work, he puts progressively more time to do it.

As it is, he only puts out a chapter about once a month on average.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Zorak posted:

As it is, he only puts out a chapter about once every 6 months on average.

fixed that for you

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

fixed that for you

There are twelve months in a year. He put out twelve chapters this year. Now, how many chapters does that average out per month regardless of whether he puts out four of them in one month or not?

(hint it's one per month)

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
i've been probated for posting like that

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

xzoto1 posted:

It took me years to give the manga a chance after I watched the anime and was generally unimpressed (outtakes were awesome though). The manga is pretty much better in every way, and the whole time I was reading it I was kicking myself for not buying the volumes sooner. If you like the detail in the art you see now, just wait until you reach the later volumes. They make the first few volumes look terrible by comparison.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Zorak posted:

There are twelve months in a year. He put out twelve chapters this year. Now, how many chapters does that average out per month regardless of whether he puts out four of them in one month or not?

He put out 12 this year? I don't know about that. I think chapter 319 was the first one out in 2011, and 325 is the most recent release, and I am sure another one won't magically appear over the next 3 weeks, not that I would complain if it did. That would make a total of 7 chapters released during 2011.

The reason for the low release amount I think is because 2011 started off at the beginning of one of Miura's breaks, I don't think a chapter was published until April. Correct me if I'm wrong, I am mostly going off memory here.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Zorak posted:

Interestingly since he's done 325 chapters and Berserk has been going on for 21 years, he's done an average of 1.3 chapters per month (325 / (21*12)). He started in December of 1990.

At least I think there are 325 chapters.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

It took me years to give the manga a chance after I watched the anime and was generally unimpressed (outtakes were awesome though). The manga is pretty much better in every way, and the whole time I was reading it I was kicking myself for not buying the volumes sooner. If you like the detail in the art you see now, just wait until you reach the later volumes. They make the first few volumes look terrible by comparison.

Yes, the outtakes are amazing. If by chance that someone on here hasn't seen them, they ought to check them out. Some of the funniest stuff I've seen.

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

Grandpa's got his groove back

xzoto1 posted:

Yes, the outtakes are amazing. If by chance that someone on here hasn't seen them, they ought to check them out. Some of the funniest stuff I've seen.

Hell yeah, I convinced my friend to get into Berserk solely because of the out-takes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YzHTt2Pns4

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Yatsuha posted:

Hell yeah, I convinced my friend to get into Berserk solely because of the out-takes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YzHTt2Pns4
These are amazing. :allears:

They also made me sad that Caska is now such an empty shell of a person. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gatsu isn't that old what's up with him having a bit of grey?