Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

From the prototypes:

As if M-tron wasn't awesome already!

I'm suprised how advanced these models are, created long before internet and MOCs and AFOLs.

I'm also sad this wasn't made to be the design of the police vehicles of SP III:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I'm also sad this wasn't made to be the design of the police vehicles of SP III:

Oh drat, that's awesome! I was hoping we'd get something like that in SP III. It reminds me of this from Gerry Anderson's Space Precinct:

HardHead
Nov 4, 2009

Bouncer, Hey bouncer.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=5973-1

At least they used the design for something. To bad about the colours though.
black and red is just so meh.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh drat, that's awesome! I was hoping we'd get something like that in SP III. It reminds me of this from Gerry Anderson's Space Precinct:

I didn't think anyone else remembered that show.

HardHead fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 11, 2011

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Manchild King posted:

^That monorail set never got made because the Futuron monorail did not sell as well as TLG hoped.

I love these old prototype photos. Europa is probably my favourite unreleased theme but I can see why it wasn't.

Also these photos are all from brick journal and are not supposed to be reproduced anywhere else. I've seen complaints about them being posted on other forums, but gently caress it, if they wanna complain here on SA they can pay for the privelage.

Here is the Seatron alien Minifig. A non-smooth torso!

Seatron totally became Aquaraiders.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
So my girlfriend surprised me with the Star Wars advent calender as an early Christmas present. I just built 1-11, and am in love. I want a million tiny X-Wings, making a fleet on my desk. What's the best way to go about getting parts to duplicate it say, six times?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
depending on the part and cost, bricklink is great but if bricklink is being really expensive you can order directly from lego. I usually go with bricklink but there have been a few parts that are just more economical to order from lego directly. I usually make a wanted list at bricklink and go with that but it is difficult getting everything you want from a store on bricklink when you need more than a few elements.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Manchild King posted:

^That monorail set never got made because the Futuron monorail did not sell as well as TLG hoped.

I love these old prototype photos. Europa is probably my favourite unreleased theme but I can see why it wasn't.

Also these photos are all from brick journal and are not supposed to be reproduced anywhere else. I've seen complaints about them being posted on other forums, but gently caress it, if they wanna complain here on SA they can pay for the privelage.

Here is the Seatron alien Minifig. A non-smooth torso!

Well, I don't know. Like I said, I first saw them in BrickJournal a while back, but I got them from the wiki site.

The_Doctor posted:

This one is great. I love the grey and red colour scheme, there's something so gritty and space-y about it. Some far off little out of the way spaceport, attached to a mining facility. I love it.

Exactly how I feel. I'm seriously thinking about how I could replicate it as closely as possible without the necessary parts.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

How do those grooved pieces fit into the jets in the front? The studs should be conflicting with the blue hood pieces, shouldn't they?

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

Ville Valo posted:

So my girlfriend surprised me with the Star Wars advent calender as an early Christmas present. I just built 1-11, and am in love. I want a million tiny X-Wings, making a fleet on my desk. What's the best way to go about getting parts to duplicate it say, six times?

They had these for sale for forever at Toys R Us for the longest time (not sure if they're still there):

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=30051-1

They're slightly bigger than the ones in the advent calendar and they are tons of fun.

I'm guessing they're still around. They cost like 5$ a pop.

Argentic
Apr 21, 2007

Sockser posted:

How do those grooved pieces fit into the jets in the front? The studs should be conflicting with the blue hood pieces, shouldn't they?

It looks like the round pieces are on sideways, with the studs pointing out - look at the flat grill piece and the angled red light. That means the grooved piece would have its bottom against the hood.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Argentic posted:

It looks like the round pieces are on sideways, with the studs pointing out - look at the flat grill piece and the angled red light. That means the grooved piece would have its bottom against the hood.

poo poo. That seems really obvious in retrospect.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv jesus christ there was a lot of greebling on the canned sets vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Sockser fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 12, 2011

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Some of the Space Police III sets that were canned are quite good. My favourite is this one

Also,

Mr Krab from Spongebob Squarepants

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Are we ever getting more SP3 sets or are they finished?

Also, where are you guys finding these prototype shots?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

MaliciousOnion posted:

Some of the Space Police III sets that were canned are quite good. My favourite is this one

Also,

Mr Krab from Spongebob Squarepants

The first one was turned into the two pods that detach from the big SP III ship. Not nearly as awesome, though.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are we ever getting more SP3 sets or are they finished?

Also, where are you guys finding these prototype shots?

Space Police is done. Alien Conquest is probably also done. Still no idea what if anything we're getting in 2012 for space.

I posted the link on the last page. They're from the Lego wiki.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shuppiluliumas posted:

The first one was turned into the two pods that detach from the big SP III ship. Not nearly as awesome, though.

Space Police is done. Alien Conquest is probably also done. Still no idea what if anything we're getting in 2012 for space.

I posted the link on the last page. They're from the Lego wiki.

Is 2012 a year for space to rotate out and see more castle sets instead?

Anyway, the Tripod Invader set is currently under $14 at Target. I thought I'd pick up a few for the ball and socket joints, but notice there's only one per set.

What's a good set to pick up for lots of ball and socket joints?

Should I just look for a lot of them on Bricklink, instead?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

From the prototypes:

As if M-tron wasn't awesome already!

Good god I just realized that's a transforming mech suit.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

VanSandman posted:

Good god I just realized that's a transforming mech suit.

I'm just curious how it would move in mech mode. I mean, if you're on Hoth or something, maybe...

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

rickiep00h posted:

I'm just curious how it would move in mech mode. I mean, if you're on Hoth or something, maybe...

Clearly those are hoverskis sir. Obviously you are ignorant about space technology.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

VanSandman posted:

Clearly those are hoverskis sir. Obviously you are ignorant about space technology.

Indeed I am. On a related note, I now have to find about a third of those pieces on Bricklink, because drat.

I'm pretty sure I have the hinges, but those forks and the wheel assemblies I don't really have. I could probably get by with some standard Technic 2x1 beams though.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Alien Conquest has only had one wave; there should be at least one more coming. I'm hoping Alien Conquest moves from defense against the aliens to taking the fight to them. I need spaceships!

Atlantis should be done, though, and Ninjago just got their second wave, so unless they figure the success of the line warrants a third wave, it'll be done now and should be replaced by this time next year.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
I'm just hoping for more Kingdoms. I'd be heartbroken if they're done with that one already, but all they've announced so far is the (amazing) Joust set. I want more Dragon buildings, dammit!

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Platypus posted:

I'm just hoping for more Kingdoms. I'd be heartbroken if they're done with that one already, but all they've announced so far is the (amazing) Joust set. I want more Dragon buildings, dammit!

The LEGO Group has said in the past that Castle, Space, and Pirates tend to rotate in and out every few years to share the spotlight.

They also share niches with Harry Potter, Star Wars, and Pirates of the Caribbean so I'm not sure how regularly that rotation happens.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Manchild King posted:

Which is a drat shame, cause it was awesome.

It was pretty expensive for lego at the time though, so I can see why. The only reason I got it as a kid was as a reward for not dying in surgery.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

They also share niches with Harry Potter, Star Wars, and Pirates of the Caribbean so I'm not sure how regularly that rotation happens.

I can't loving wait for PotC to be done so we can get some good, reasonably priced pirate poo poo again.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Pyroclastic posted:

Alien Conquest has only had one wave; there should be at least one more coming. I'm hoping Alien Conquest moves from defense against the aliens to taking the fight to them. I need spaceships!

Atlantis should be done, though, and Ninjago just got their second wave, so unless they figure the success of the line warrants a third wave, it'll be done now and should be replaced by this time next year.

Lego's got nothing in their solicits for another Alien Conquest wave, which is really weird because even like Power Miners got two. Atlantis is done.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

I don't know if there's been anything official about it, but everything I've heard from company people suggests Alien Conquest was a one year deal. It's possible there won't be a space theme next year. There's been no hint of one so far, which really sucks.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I don't know if there's been anything official about it, but everything I've heard from company people suggests Alien Conquest was a one year deal. It's possible there won't be a space theme next year. There's been no hint of one so far, which really sucks.

I can deal with the lack of spacey stuff so long as LEGO has some more awesome Creator stuff in the works, Make more train engines LEGO! :argh:

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Castle and Space are my perennial favorite themes, but the new "forest cops" City sets look terrific. If City maintains that level of awesome, I can deal with a couple of lean years in my favorite themes.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
If Alien Conquest gets another release it won't be until 2h 2012 but again there have been no hints about it which is sad because I really liked what they had released so far even though they are getting close to licenced sets in cost :(

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

From that prototypes link:

REMOTE CONTROLLED SPACE

In 1985! That would have been a dream come true as a child. I was always trying to motorize my Lego creations in ways they weren't intended.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I'm at TRU right now and they've got the Scorpion Pyramid and Rise of the Sphinx marked 40% off. Looks like it's shelf-clearing time for Pharoh's Quest!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Sloppy posted:

From that prototypes link:

REMOTE CONTROLLED SPACE

In 1985! That would have been a dream come true as a child. I was always trying to motorize my Lego creations in ways they weren't intended.

That thing is hideous even by 1985 standards.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
It's a small blurry photo not worth posting, but they had a bison and proper cacti for the western theme on that prototypes page.

drat I want another western line. They never even made a train and/or station for the last one did they.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
my bedroom nightstand:

(pardon the hipster filter)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Toys R Us has a buy one get one 50% off on lego right now! Stopped in and got the last 2 Alien tripod thingies! They also had the new dino and superhero sets but those aren't included in the 50%. Think the sale is only today and tomorrow, or maybe it was yesterday and today. Either way, buy 1 get one 50% sale at TRU!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I got the 2nd Master Builder Academy set in the mail today and it has my first trans-dark blue and trans-aqua pieces.

THESE ARE THE BEST COLORS I HAVE EVER SEEN.

GigantoR
Jan 10, 2006

WOOOOOO!!!
Picked up the Hero Factory Furno Bike at Marshalls today. Whee robot motorcycle for $15!

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

I got the 2nd Master Builder Academy set in the mail today and it has my first trans-dark blue and trans-aqua pieces.

THESE ARE THE BEST COLORS I HAVE EVER SEEN.

Could you post pics? I NEED to see these new colours!

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

mattfl posted:

Toys R Us has a buy one get one 50% off on lego right now! Stopped in and got the last 2 Alien tripod thingies! They also had the new dino and superhero sets but those aren't included in the 50%. Think the sale is only today and tomorrow, or maybe it was yesterday and today. Either way, buy 1 get one 50% sale at TRU!

I'm on their mailing list. They've been having BOGO 50% sales practically non-stop since black friday. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rare Collectable posted:

Could you post pics? I NEED to see these new colours!

I don't think they're new, just new to me.

http://thebrickblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/LEGO-MBA-Creations-by-Sarah.jpg