Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
Any recommendations on a good wood cutting board? I've seen some of the Boos boards being well reviewed. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Dim, Tired, and Elderly posted:

Any recommendations on a good wood cutting board? I've seen some of the Boos boards being well reviewed. Any suggestions?

I just bought a huge-rear end Boos from Williams-Sonoma for $64 on sale.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I've never seen cutting boards as something worth spending money on. If you're looking for something with a little visual flare (flair?), there is some great one of a kind stuff available on Etsy for reasonable prices.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

From what I've seen, this end grain is pretty well liked: http://www.amazon.com/Ironwood-Gourmet-28218-Acacia-Wood-End-Grain/dp/B000RKRMOA/

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Josh Lyman posted:

From what I've seen, this end grain is pretty well liked: http://www.amazon.com/Ironwood-Gourmet-28218-Acacia-Wood-End-Grain/dp/B000RKRMOA/

I have something like that and it's held up really well for a few years now. Just avoid using (or be careful with) a serrated knife because that'll tear the poo poo out of anything.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

zerox147o posted:

I've never seen cutting boards as something worth spending money on. If you're looking for something with a little visual flare (flair?), there is some great one of a kind stuff available on Etsy for reasonable prices.

Some visual flair.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

http://www.theboardsmith.com/

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I recently ordered a Calphalon tri-ply set. The only problem that I have is that the biggest pot is a 6 QT, so I've been looking for an 8 QT or above stock pot to go along with the set. I can get a tri-ply 8 QT stock pot for around $80.00 or for around $95, I can get a stainless steel stock pot with a pasta insert and steamer. How different is the performance/quality between tri-ply and stainless steel pots? Also, do pasta inserts work well or do they end up being a hassle?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Unless you are planning to use it for something other than boiling water or simmering stock, I don't see why the cooking performance really matters. I have an 8 quart All-Clad stock pot, but it's shaped to be used like a Dutch oven, which is mostly how I use it. I have a cheapie 12 quart KitchenAid stock pot I use for actual stock, and it's a much better size.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Aniki posted:

I recently ordered a Calphalon tri-ply set. The only problem that I have is that the biggest pot is a 6 QT, so I've been looking for an 8 QT or above stock pot to go along with the set. I can get a tri-ply 8 QT stock pot for around $80.00 or for around $95, I can get a stainless steel stock pot with a pasta insert and steamer. How different is the performance/quality between tri-ply and stainless steel pots? Also, do pasta inserts work well or do they end up being a hassle?
edit: VVVV nevermind, it looks like Josh Lyman is right. The product description for the bundle says it's tri-ply, but looking at the photo it looks like it's disc bottom

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 7, 2011

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aniki posted:

I went through this issue about half a year ago.

First of all, the link for the tri-ply set goes to the one with the steamer, but I'll assume you got Contemporary Stainless.

Second, the pot with steamer you listed only has aluminum on the bottom. This was done because for the steamer bundle, Calphalon determined that their customers didn't want/need tri-ply up the walls.

Finally, you don't want the 8 qt post you listed for because it's old and ugly and won't match your (presumbed) Contemporary set. What you want is this 8 qt pot, which I myself purchased half a year ago and have put through its paces like no normal person should: http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Contemporary-Stainless-8-Quart-Stockpot/dp/B0007D6FL8/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Today's woot is a 32 piece Lock & Lock set for $25 shipped. How do these compare to Rubbermaid or Tupperware?

In unrelated news, I got this OXO ladle and this OXO spaghetti server from my Reddit Secret Santa, and while the ladle is built like a tank, the tang :confused: of the spaghetti server is just a flat piece of stamped metal, so it can still bend under a heavy load. The ladle bends the edges around the back giving it much better structural rigidity.

I was concerned about this when I added them to my Amazon wishlist, but while OXO's hefty brushed stainless line features a turner, spoon, and slotted spoon, there is no spaghetti server. :sigh:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

Today's woot is a 32 piece Lock & Lock set for $25 shipped. How do these compare to Rubbermaid or Tupperware?

I have some glass ones that I think are lock and lock? they have the 4 sided thing anyways.

I'm really torn about buying these. On the one hand, my storage system right now is a smattering of those, tupperware, and odd bits. I've been meaning to just throw everything away and start anew for a while.

But, I also really hate the 4 point locking system. call me lazy, but it's honestly a pain to have to snap on all 4 sides, and I never really feel like it's locked on properly for whatever reason. this might be particular to the glass ones I have though...

I think I'll wait for some tupperware or even better, find some cambros or something...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

In unrelated news, I got this OXO ladle and this OXO spaghetti server from my Reddit Secret Santa, and while the ladle is built like a tank, the tang :confused: of the spaghetti server is just a flat piece of stamped metal, so it can still bend under a heavy load. The ladle bends the edges around the back giving it much better structural rigidity.

I was concerned about this when I added them to my Amazon wishlist, but while OXO's hefty brushed stainless line features a turner, spoon, and slotted spoon, there is no spaghetti server. :sigh:

I've got a lot of Lock & Lock stuff which I think is absolutely fantastic. It's the plastic line. I don't mind the 4-point closure, and it always feels very secure. I've shaken liquids in them with no leakage. Many of the containers, although of differing depths, have the same lid, which is handy. Highly recommended.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Josh Lyman posted:

I went through this issue about half a year ago.

First of all, the link for the tri-ply set goes to the one with the steamer, but I'll assume you got Contemporary Stainless.

Second, the pot with steamer you listed only has aluminum on the bottom. This was done because for the steamer bundle, Calphalon determined that their customers didn't want/need tri-ply up the walls.

Finally, you don't want the 8 qt post you listed for because it's old and ugly and won't match your (presumbed) Contemporary set. What you want is this 8 qt pot, which I myself purchased half a year ago and have put through its paces like no normal person should: http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Contemporary-Stainless-8-Quart-Stockpot/dp/B0007D6FL8/

Oi, my links were definitely wrong. The Contemporary set that you mentioned does look nice, but we ordered a different set and this is the matching 8 qt stock pot. This is the non-matching stock pot with the steamer and pasta inserts. I'd like to have everything match, which I realize is anal, but I can't seem to find a pasta insert that I am sure would fit the matching pot, so I can either order the non-matching stock pot with the steamer and pasta inserts or I can order the matching stock pot and use a collander like a normal person. As far as function goes, an aluminium bottom should be good enough for boiling water for pasta and potatoes and tri-ply would only matter for things where the food directly contacts the surface or walls?

On an unrelated note, is there a consensus between silicone and metal utensils? I know that metal utensils can damage non-stick pans, but would metal utensils cause any problems with steel/metal pans?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

mindphlux posted:

I have some glass ones that I think are lock and lock? they have the 4 sided thing anyways.

I'm really torn about buying these. On the one hand, my storage system right now is a smattering of those, tupperware, and odd bits. I've been meaning to just throw everything away and start anew for a while.

But, I also really hate the 4 point locking system. call me lazy, but it's honestly a pain to have to snap on all 4 sides, and I never really feel like it's locked on properly for whatever reason. this might be particular to the glass ones I have though...

I think I'll wait for some tupperware or even better, find some cambros or something...
1 gallon cambros, quarts and pints are all I use at home.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Can anyone recommend a good online store for buying knives to ship to Canada? Any recommendations on stores in the Toronto Queen West area would be great too. I'm not looking at super high end, but something in the $60-100 range for a gift. I've already checked out Amazon, Kitchen Stuff Plus and Sliceandsear.com.

tycho_atreides
Oct 25, 2006

Here be dargonz

Psychobabble posted:

1 gallon cambros, quarts and pints are all I use at home.

Seconded. This is totally the pro-tech. Cheapo pints and quarts from nearby dollar store or restaurant supply.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Dacap posted:

Can anyone recommend a good online store for buying knives to ship to Canada?

Can you be a bit more specific than "knives"?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Who has a pasta machine they love? Hand-crank vs electric?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

icehewk posted:

Who has a pasta machine they love? Hand-crank vs electric?

I've used both. Currently stick to my attachment for Kitchenaid mixer. Electric is just more expensive, but great if you can afford it. You sometimes need a second set of hands when using hand cranks.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
So today's Groupon deal is an 18-Piece Knife Set – $35 for an 18-Piece Knife Set from World Class Knives ($139 Value). Is this set worth it? I've never heard of the brand but the Groupon's sold 440 so far. What do you all think?

http://www.groupon.com/ch/goods/deals/gg-miracle-blades

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lovelyn posted:

So today's Groupon deal is an 18-Piece Knife Set – $35 for an 18-Piece Knife Set from World Class Knives ($139 Value). Is this set worth it? I've never heard of the brand but the Groupon's sold 440 so far. What do you all think?

I think it's probably a piece of crap, because one good knife should cost $35, not 18, and you don't need 18 knives anyway. You need a chef knife, a paring knife (maybe two), a bread knife, and a carving knife.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lovelyn posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-40520-Fibrox-8-Inch-Chefs/dp/B000638D32/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1323887454&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-47508-4-Inch-Paring-Knife/dp/B0001V3UYG/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1323887471&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Komachi-2-Bread-Knife/dp/B0029XBUKK/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1323887486&sr=1-4

The only 3 knives you will need for a while.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Lovelyn posted:

They appear to be a variant of Miracle Blades:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-YXgFv2IN4

Chef Tony is a piece of poo poo who sells poo poo products and doesn't return money when his poo poo falls apart. The Amazon reviews about his other products are a litany of tears and gnashing of teeth.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 14, 2011

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
e: hurr cannot read

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

This is very, very correct.
Add in something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-Sharpener-204MF/dp/B000Q9C4AE/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1323895212&sr=1-1
and life is good. The spyderco sharpener isn't the most astonishing thing on the market, but it's very easy to use and doesn't mangle knives like those little "run the knife through this handle shaped thing with a v notch in it and gently caress up your knife!" bastards.

Add in a boning knife eventually (at least, that's always been my opinion) and there's really not much else the vast majority of people need for knives.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I could live my life without a paring knife, but a boning knife is a necessity as far as I'm concerned.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sharpmakers are on ebay right now for 29.99 or so says TFR's knife thread.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Paring knives in my house are pretty much beater knives. They get tossed in the drawer in the "whatever" tray and get used for quick things like opening, cutting a hunk of cheese, etc.
They also get tossed in the dishwasher and used to cut on plates. Really really useful in sort of a horrible way.

I really like the old style Rada aluminum handled paring knives like my grandmother always had.
http://www.amazon.com/Cutlery-Regular-Paring-Aluminum-Handle/dp/B000FZXB6U
They really haven't changed except a slight difference in the handle in god knows how many years.

My boning knife lives in the block with the other nice knives that tremble a little bit when they're even near the dishwasher.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Couple questions that have probably already been partially answered in this thread.

1. Can someone recommend a decent blender? I've had really lovely luck with blenders over the years and I'm currently using a lovely $20 one from Walmart (which actually has held up pretty well). I've had a couple "decent" blenders (I think they were GE) that cost around $80, but the motor blew out in less than a year on both. It may have just been a lovely model, but it kinda turned me off of trying to buy a good blender. Now I'm looking for something in the ~$100 range. My wife makes an ice/spinach/fruit smoothie every morning for breakfast and I'm looking for a step up over our current blender. The current blender works fine, but most of the time it will blend the stuff at the bottom and then the blade will spin free in an air bubble or something down there. You usually need to start and stop it multiple times and swirl the blender around when it's running in order to get that nice vortext thing where everything actually gets blended. Basically, I'm looking for a solid blender where you can throw in your poo poo, turn it on, leave for 20 seconds and come back to find everything blended evenly/etc... I don't need a vitamix or blendtec or anything like that. I've heard good things about the ninja (the one that looks like a normal blender) but that goofy lid contraption with a bunch of wobbly plastic parts seems suspect.

2. I bought a set (paring, utility, santoku, bread) of nice Shun knives and and I haven't been taking very good care of them. I don't cut on glass or wash them in the dishwasher or anything like that, but I've never honed them. Frankly, I've been afraid of running my knives along metal and possibly scratching up the pretty layered steel finish. I know I'm being dumb, but is there some kind of simple contraption for honing/sharpening that isn't going to mangle/scratch up nice knifes if used by someone who is not very experienced in knife care?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mr Executive posted:

2. I bought a set (paring, utility, santoku, bread) of nice Shun knives and and I haven't been taking very good care of them. I don't cut on glass or wash them in the dishwasher or anything like that, but I've never honed them. Frankly, I've been afraid of running my knives along metal and possibly scratching up the pretty layered steel finish. I know I'm being dumb, but is there some kind of simple contraption for honing/sharpening that isn't going to mangle/scratch up nice knifes if used by someone who is not very experienced in knife care?

Probably the Shun honing steel.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I could live my life without a paring knife, but a boning knife is a necessity as far as I'm concerned.

Got a good boning knife recommendation? Something no more than $40 or $50 that you like. I want to get better at breaking down bigger hunks of meat, and a good boning knife would be just the thing.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I have a flexible and stiff forschner boner and I like them both.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

Couple questions that have probably already been partially answered in this thread.

1. Can someone recommend a decent blender? I've had really lovely luck with blenders over the years and I'm currently using a lovely $20 one from Walmart (which actually has held up pretty well). I've had a couple "decent" blenders (I think they were GE) that cost around $80, but the motor blew out in less than a year on both. It may have just been a lovely model, but it kinda turned me off of trying to buy a good blender. Now I'm looking for something in the ~$100 range. My wife makes an ice/spinach/fruit smoothie every morning for breakfast and I'm looking for a step up over our current blender. The current blender works fine, but most of the time it will blend the stuff at the bottom and then the blade will spin free in an air bubble or something down there. You usually need to start and stop it multiple times and swirl the blender around when it's running in order to get that nice vortext thing where everything actually gets blended. Basically, I'm looking for a solid blender where you can throw in your poo poo, turn it on, leave for 20 seconds and come back to find everything blended evenly/etc... I don't need a vitamix or blendtec or anything like that. I've heard good things about the ninja (the one that looks like a normal blender) but that goofy lid contraption with a bunch of wobbly plastic parts seems suspect.
As far as small appliances go, it's hard to go wrong with kitchen aid or cuisinart:

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KSB560OB-5-Speed-56-Ounce-Blender/dp/B000CSNVE2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323904788&sr=8-1

Cook's Illustrated reviewed the slightly more upscale version (KSB580) of this as their favorite blender, they seem to have the same motor and features other than one having a metal base and the other having a plastic one.

I bought the $50 Kalorik and although it's a very sturdy, solid blender, it has trouble getting food thoroughly blended.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

Got a good boning knife recommendation? Something no more than $40 or $50 that you like. I want to get better at breaking down bigger hunks of meat, and a good boning knife would be just the thing.

I had earlier estimated my boner to be 7", but it turns out it's only 5 1/2".

I have this one. It works great but it absolutely needs to be steeled every time I use it. I don't have to sharpen it that often though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr Executive posted:

I bought a Ninja NJ600 from Woot a while back and it is loving amazing for smoothies. Pretty comparable to my friend's Blendtec.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I bought a Ninja NJ600 from Woot a while back and it is loving amazing for smoothies. Pretty comparable to my friend's Blendtec.

That's the one I was looking at. As I mentioned in my last post, the thing that concerns me about this blender is the plastic lid that feels kinda flimsy. Is it actually durable, or are all the cheap feeling moving parts going to fall apart. And you said it's good for smoothies. I guess I haven't really ever used a good blender, but I've never had one where you just throw in some ice and stuff and let it go without needing to shake the blender around or turn it off and stick a spoon down there to stir up everything so that it all gets blended. I assume this one will do that? If so, this looks like a winner.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr Executive posted:

That's the one I was looking at. As I mentioned in my last post, the thing that concerns me about this blender is the plastic lid that feels kinda flimsy. Is it actually durable, or are all the cheap feeling moving parts going to fall apart. And you said it's good for smoothies. I guess I haven't really ever used a good blender, but I've never had one where you just throw in some ice and stuff and let it go without needing to shake the blender around or turn it off and stick a spoon down there to stir up everything so that it all gets blended. I assume this one will do that? If so, this looks like a winner.
The lid on the Ninja is really solid. It's reinforced along the transverse axis of the blender. Additionally, its o-ring is actually a silicone sleeve with multiple layers of fins, effectively creating a seal tighter than a nun's vagina. Furthermore, the blender won't even run without the lid 100% sealed since there's a switch that has to be depressed by activating the seal.

As for smoothies, I throw in OJ and frozen fruit and run it for 20 seconds and I've got smoothies that will would tighten the wrinkliest of grandpa ballsacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My wooden cooking spoon is chipping apart. I would get a stainless replacement but I use it a lot with my nonstick skillet to break apart meat. Is there a better option than just buying cheap replacements at Target?

• Locked thread