Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a swimming cat. Have you heard of a candy that gives courage and strength to weaklings? No? I see. But you're a strong goon, so I doubt you would need any.
That christmas track really, really needs Hussie to do a flash to it. :(

e: oh hey a hussnype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commutator
Jul 17, 2009

I love everything about this EXCEPT that they apparently don't know what a perigee is and decided to just say "pedigree" instead. Why would they put forth the respectable effort to make this and not check such an absolutely retarded detail.

Edit: Not sure what track you're listening to, to my ears all 12 trolls say "pedigree" quite clearly and distinctly.
VVV

Commutator fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 11, 2011

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a swimming cat. Have you heard of a candy that gives courage and strength to weaklings? No? I see. But you're a strong goon, so I doubt you would need any.

Commutator posted:

I love everything about this EXCEPT that they apparently don't know what a perigee is and decided to just say "pedigree" instead. Why would they put forth the respectable effort to make this and not check such an absolutely retarded detail.

It does sound like a mix between both, likely due to trying to shoehorn extra syllables into the line.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Waffnuffly posted:

Wow, I laughed aloud at the yellow yard -> yellow brick road joke, but totally lost it at Hussbot. I love all these Wizard of Oz references.

Wait until it retroactively becomes a Zardoz reference.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I remember Hussie saying that the acts after Act 5 would all be relatively short (I think he claimed they would be about one month long each) and then felt sad because I didn't want Homestuck to last only two more months before ending.

Now it's been about a month since Act 6 Act 1 started, and hey, what do you know, the act lasted almost exactly a month :haw:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Well Manicured Man posted:

I remember Hussie saying that the acts after Act 5 would all be relatively short (I think he claimed they would be about one month long each) and then felt sad because I didn't want Homestuck to last only two more months before ending.

Now it's been about a month since Act 6 Act 1 started, and hey, what do you know, the act lasted almost exactly a month :haw:

I was never worried that the last acts would end up being short. His original plan for Act 5 Part 1 was to last, what, 2 months at most?

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
So I ordered a Space hoodie a week ago (when the Life and Void designs were released), and the email I got said that they would ship it in a few days, but I haven't heard about it since. Does What Pumpkin usually take a while to send stuff out, or should I shoot them an email? I assume they're just swamped with orders or something.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Scratch-O posted:

So I ordered a Space hoodie a week ago (when the Life and Void designs were released), and the email I got said that they would ship it in a few days, but I haven't heard about it since. Does What Pumpkin usually take a while to send stuff out, or should I shoot them an email? I assume they're just swamped with orders or something.

The "processed and shipped within a few days" appears to just be part of the automated e-mail that gets sent out, and not an actual estimate of how long it will take. I'm not sure what the average wait time is nowadays, though I imagine they're a bit busy with Christmas orders and with all of the new stuff that's come out recently. (I ordered a time hoodie right when it first came out in early October, and it took two weeks to ship, for what that's worth).

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Ok, I think I see where is this going. Act 6 Act 1 dealt with Jane and Jake, intermission 1 deals with John and Jade, next up we get Mom and Bro, and then another intermission with Dave, Rose, and the trolls.

After that...UU maybe?

See, this sounds logical, but we all know there's going to be like three characters still alive by the beginning of Act 6 Intermission 1.

I can honestly see Hussie killing Bro and or Mom before we get to know their first names.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Made some hussiebot avs for those interested:

Edit: It's 125x125 isn't it. :negative:

E2: Fixed.

tinaun fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 11, 2011

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Holy poo poo.

I just god the joke in the name of the song heir conditioning. I've never actually said it out loud before, and I couldn't understand why my friend was having trouble understanding what I was talking about. I'm now just getting the joke in john's title heir of breath, too. I can't believe I never got it for so long.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Android Blues posted:

That's why the Life symbol is visually linked to the Breath symbol! (I actually feel like the Life symbol should totally be some combination of the Breath and Blood symbols, but that's just me.)

It also looks like a sapling.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
One thing I find especially interesting is how much of Homestuck happens off-screen. You really see very little of any given character's story aside from John. After Dave has entered the Medium, practically the next time you see him he's already deep into his adventure. The kids find out they have to get the Forge started and acquire the Quills of Echidna, and after focusing on a number of different sideplots, they both are finished offscreen by Jade's 'shenanigans'.

Obviously every story has things happening off-screen, but Hussie handles it incredibly well and takes it to a whole new level. He's able to handle a ridiculous number of storylines in progress and, generally, still keep the pace moving at a pretty good clip. It also helps him increase the 'scope' of Homestuck; when a reader sees another character further into the game than they last saw the character, the reader's mind automatically fills in a sketch of the character's progression without Hussie having to show it. When you see Rose near the Beat Mesa surrounded by salamander acolytes, looking through Doc Scratch's cue ball thing, you know that she's been through countless hours or days of straight adventure. She's explored areas, fought off powerful monsters, found artifacts, solved complicated puzzles, and leveled up many times, even if you didn't really see any of those things happening. What we do see of Homestuck is still a huge story, but it's really only a fraction of how large it could be.

What Andrew has basically done is that he's figured out how to make a story almost entirely out of montages. Montages exist to compress a lot of otherwise unimportant events into a short sequence so the audience can see the progression of time and effort and skip ahead to the more important sections. By showing tiny sections of each character's journey and the various storylines, he's created a bunch of montages, jumping from one to another and only showing the plot- or thematic-relevant events. In a sense, he's made a montage of montages.

It's an interesting storytelling technique, one that I haven't really seen before. Is there any other story or series that does something similar, something that tells a story through a bunch of individual points out of a much larger universe?

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Cyrai posted:

It's an interesting storytelling technique, one that I haven't really seen before. Is there any other story or series that does something similar, something that tells a story through a bunch of individual points out of a much larger universe?

*George R. R. Martin fan stands up, draws breath to speak, and is pelted to death by shoes*

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cyrai posted:

I tried to come up with some examples, but all I could think of was the perfect opposite: The Wheel of Time :v:

for anyone that doesn't know of TWoT, a standard printing of all 14 main books + extras of that series probably weighs enough to kill somebody's grandmother

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Snollygoster posted:

*George R. R. Martin fan stands up, sits back down panting heavily*

Commutator
Jul 17, 2009

Cyrai posted:

The kids find out they have to get the Forge started and acquire the Quills of Echidna, and after focusing on a number of different sideplots, they both are finished offscreen by Jade's 'shenanigans'.

Well on that particular point, I think it's a good bet that we'll get a flashback to Jade's interactions with her denizen, probably around the same time the other kids finally meet theirs.

Otherwise though I'd say you're right about Hussie's approach to storytelling. I think it was on his old formspring that he mentioned how by showing small minutia of the kids' adventure early on, like extruding cruxite dowels, carving totems, collecting grist, fiddling with fetch modi and strife specibi, killing imps, etc., he could leave the reader to assume that all that was continuing in the background, and pull back and adjust the focus of the story onto larger and larger scales.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

David Copperfield posted:

Wait until it retroactively becomes a Zardoz reference.
fingers crossed for jake alchemizing a certain new outfit.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

snucks posted:

Say, does anyone have that gif of Karkat spinning endlessly downwards with a trail of AAAAAAAs falling behind him?

I need it.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Cyrai posted:

A lot of books do this. Not just Geroge R. R. Martin. There's a David Levithan book called In The Realm of Possibilities where the entire story is told through the points of view of various characters completely unrelated to the main romance that the book is about. Like the lesbian ex-girlfriend of the guitarist of a band that did a performance once where another character that had a POV went to once and that character has their own long spider-web of connections that lead back to the two main characters.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Snollygoster posted:

*George R. R. Martin fan stands up, and compares character death count to Hussie's

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I'm slow. I just got the "emerald lovely paint job" joke.

I never thought that we could get so much entertainment out of 3 nanoseconds.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

A classic example would be As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner, but I don't think the differing viewpoints would be considered universally spanning.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

pandaK posted:

A classic example would be As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner, but I don't think the differing viewpoints would be considered universally spanning.

With regards to linearity Slaughter House 5 is all over the place, but eventually you see everything that happens to Billy Pilgrim.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

QueerPope posted:

A lot of books do this. Not just Geroge R. R. Martin. There's a David Levithan book called In The Realm of Possibilities where the entire story is told through the points of view of various characters completely unrelated to the main romance that the book is about. Like the lesbian ex-girlfriend of the guitarist of a band that did a performance once where another character that had a POV went to once and that character has their own long spider-web of connections that lead back to the two main characters.
yeah, I think Hussie is on the coattails of a big trend in epic contemporary fiction. My all-time favorite piece of fiction, Infinite Jest, actually did exactly what Hussie explicitly set out to do* 15 years ago. I actually got into Homestuck originally after needing something as a substitute with how obsessed I was over Infinite Jest, if anyone here reads regular books and not just online webcomic books I can't reccomend it enough.

*(to tell a narrative disjointed by perspectives and time frames that is at its core a puzzle for its readers to assemble. seriously the most engaging thing you can do in an otherwise non-interactive medium; Infinite Jest weirdly predicted the following decade's developments in videogames that Homestuck is heavily based on.)

snucks fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 12, 2011

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

snucks posted:

yeah, I think Hussie is on the coattails of a big trend in epic contemporary fiction. My all-time favorite piece of fiction, Infinite Jest, actually did exactly what Hussie explicitly set out to do* 15 years ago. I actually got into Homestuck originally after needing something as a substitute with how obsessed I was over Infinite Jest, if anyone here reads regular books and not just online webcomic books I can't reccomend it enough.

*(to tell a narrative disjointed by perspectives and time frames that is at its core a puzzle for its readers to assemble. seriously the most engaging thing you can do in an otherwise non-interactive medium; Infinite Jest weirdly predicted the following decade's developments in videogames that Homestuck is heavily based on.)

Doesn't "Ultimate Riddle" kind of mean the same thing as "Infinite Jest"? :tinfoil:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

snucks posted:

Infinite Jest is actually next on my reading list. I've been on a Pynchon kick lately and I've heard that David Foster Wallace is something of a refinement of Pynchon's style trending towards hysterical realism. I was talking to some friends earlier and mentioned how Pynchon was sort of like the Hussie of fifty years ago. I won't be surprised if the same rings true with Infinite Jest.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Cyrai's point about compression is exactly right. It's probably why Homestuck is so appealing to fan artists, fan fiction writers, and even shippers - there's just so very much left unexplored but implied. It's so easy to impress your own interpretation or sketch on to events, because only the most critical moments are seen.

I also think it's why every time something happens that we expect to be The Moment, it isn't. Part of it's because you need to hit your high notes at climaxes and other important plot milestones, but I can't count the number of times someone's died or some interpersonal strife's happened and it's basically buried. This is probably most true of the trolls, considering we were just about drowning in their relationship ups and downs and we STILL only saw the cut-up versions.

Though we've seen John the most, I think he's the one we're waiting on for the big emotional moment. There's a certain amount of audience anxiety that it'll get compressed away, skipped, or Hussie won't even think it's worth focusing on, but after his father died and all of the life-or-death-suicide-shenenigans with his friends there's a sense of waiting for it all to finally hit the surface.

Kind of hoping it's not Vriska's death that does it, unless it's clearly just the straw that breaks the camel's back. Personally, I've really been waiting for him to introspect a little about the loss of his father.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Well Manicured Man posted:

New Homestuck song, in preparation for the epic Lord English strife theme I plan to start some time this winter. You guys hold me to that promise, okay?

Not really a straight remix of any other Homestuck song, but rather an adaption of this which I composed as a sort of leitmotif for Lord English and reused in this. It's going to get more mileage later on...

That is a fun listen. I just wish it were longer (because it is so fun). I really enjoyed the heartbeat-percussion section around the one minute mark.

I will be sure to bug you on the LE strife.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 12, 2011

Ketzal
Feb 19, 2011

President of Hell
Grimey Drawer

snucks posted:

I've never read any Wallace or Pynchon, but the style sounds sort of similar to Catch-22. It's one of those books where you have no idea what's going on and when things happen until suddenly it all makes sense, and the impact is so much more than what could be achieved using the same book with a traditional narrative.

Homestuck went from a thing that I was reading to pass the time to something that I knew I would follow to the end when WV was introduced, just to see how he would fit into a story about some kids playing a game. Hussie is very good at making everything in his stories snap together in a satisfying way, and I think I enjoy that even more than the characters.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

snucks posted:

quote:

GG: password fuckass
CG: THE GUN IS GOOD, THE PENIS IS BAD

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

3 years. Jesus Christ :stare:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Looks like the kids'll be older than the new guardians after all.

Also, I am amused at John in the last panel. He just can not handle all this.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
I don't...what the gently caress/

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
John sums up my own feelings quite nicely.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Welp, see you guys in 2014. Close the thread.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
Three years? Jeez.

What are the other kids and trolls going to do during all this malarky? Will Hussie gently caress things up even further? Could The Windy Thing save the day? Tune in next time to see none of these answers probably.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Welp, speak of the devil, looks like the weight of everything that just happened just hit John in the face.

So, uh.

I guess the idea is that John and Jade are going to spend three years on that little spaceship? Maybe they can wander their old incipisphere which Jade brought with them to kill some time.

This all seems like a clever way to age them up to the age of the reset guardians so everyone'll be peers and also to take care of some story business, but what'll happen to the trolls and Rose and Dave in the meantime? Will it take Sollux 3 years to take the lab to the green sun? Are they all going to have to sit tight for three years waiting for John and Jade? What, if I may ask, Is The Deal?

Edit: hey Davesprite can scrape back some relevance and be their Substitute Dave for the next 3 years!

Dolash fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 12, 2011

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I wonder if it'd still be three years if Hussiebot just reached in there and shoved them through.

Relativity sure is confusing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Oh man, John is going to be so very disappointed three years from now.