Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Megaspel posted:

Holy gently caress. I don't mean to be rude or judgemental or anything, but why did you ever associate yourself with this guy or Denise, or whatever? I understand teenager times but it all seems a bit extreme. I'm glad you're out of all of that now, but what made you find these people and hang out with them?

Also this guy reminds me of the guy in the Traditional Games DnD horror stories thread. I can't remember any the names, it's been ages since I read that thread and it's several hundred pages long so I'm not gonna search through it to find out the specifics. But there was this one obese guy who kept talking about how he was this super marine army guy and completely looked down on everyone else, treated everyone like poo poo, cried a bunch, got his mother to fight battles for him, and was eventually beaten the poo poo out of the guy telling the story who actually was in the army after the guy was talking poo poo about him and making poo poo up about his army successes, even though he quite obviously never accomplished anything in his life.

It scares to me to know that these people exist.
Sounds like you're talking about 50 Foot Ant's stories, which most people think are not real (less so because of how terrible he makes other people but of how badass he makes himself and his friends).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Strange Matter posted:

Sounds like you're talking about 50 Foot Ant's stories, which most people think are not real (less so because of how terrible he makes other people but of how badass he makes himself and his friends).

That and because he regularly posts obviously fictional novel-length sagas in the ghost story threads.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

That and because he regularly posts obviously fictional novel-length sagas in the ghost story threads.

And says he's the "brother" of Humper Monkey, who "died". Who also told a bunch of really long, unbelievable, over-the-top stories.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Haha, I find that delightfully ironic how he's thought to have been making elaborate, over-the-top stories centred around a guy who makes up elaborate, over-the-top stories.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I used to like his stories and then every ghost story thread became nothing but 50 Foot Ant sagas. It's not creepy if it's obviously just a well-written story.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Ant's endless Tandy stories are pure bullshit. He has an insanely hot wife who doesn't care if he goes off to sleep with this insanely hot former soldier, who in turn does three-ways with him and his friend. Sure. Uh-huh. He's psychotic, too, which allows him to survive brutality that would kill a lesser man.

The biggest difference between Ant and someone like Denise is that he hides behind a veneer of decent writing on the Internet.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
There seem to be a lot of people with some sort of obsession with angels, I knew of a few people growing up that believed they were bonded or some poo poo to various angels. Ocassionally they would run around doing poo poo and blaming that they were guided by their angels to try to get out of what ever messed they caused.

Never gotten the fascintion with angels, they generally tend to make Bad Things Happen when they pop up.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kinetica posted:

There seem to be a lot of people with some sort of obsession with angels, I knew of a few people growing up that believed they were bonded or some poo poo to various angels. Ocassionally they would run around doing poo poo and blaming that they were guided by their angels to try to get out of what ever messed they caused.

Never gotten the fascintion with angels, they generally tend to make Bad Things Happen when they pop up.

I fully admit to being guilty of this as well. My username is actually shortened; the full version is Shining Seraph Neoman. Yes I do love Megaman Battle Network. Yes I did write my own fanfiction as a kid. I'm better now, but I'm too lazy to make new usernames, so I just use variations of it, for whatever I'm doing.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Megaspel posted:

Holy gently caress. I don't mean to be rude or judgemental or anything, but why did you ever associate yourself with this guy or Denise, or whatever? I understand teenager times but it all seems a bit extreme. I'm glad you're out of all of that now, but what made you find these people and hang out with them?

I met Denise when I literally had no other friends. I was a weird, socially broken outcast with a horrible home life in a new school in a different part of town with nobody else to talk to.

I met Brian coming out of my first ever 'serious' relationship. I mean, I was fifteen when I got with my first boyfriend and we dated for a year and summod. It was soon after I met Brian and became sort of romantically involved (sigh it still makes me so embarrassed) that... Well, my dad, who I was living with at the time, got himself a girlfriend and became so enamoured with her that he was always at her house. Always. As in, when he bought groceries it was to buy groceries for Eve's house, not our house, and there was literally nothing to eat for me at home. I remember calling him to ask him when he'd come home because there wasn't any food. The only food in the house was half a loaf of brown bread and some of it had mould on it.
He just kind of stopped taking care of me, so I had to take care of myself. It's really shameful and embarrassing but Brian provided me with attention, food, and shelter for a time -- Something my very broken and desperate sixteenish-year-old self needed.

edit:

I also want to say that my dad wasn't around for me a lot when I was growing up, either. A lot of that was due to how difficult my mother was to deal with and how little money he had. He really didn't know how to deal with an emotionally abused and distraught, stressed out fifteen year old who'd literally been dumped in his lap one day. He had no idea how to take care of me and I believe he did his best. My dad is a good man and we've had a lot of talks about this -- he's one of the only members of my family I speak to on a regular basis. I'm not angry with him anymore and he and I have a pretty good relationship now. :3:

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 11, 2011

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

cubivore posted:

And says he's the "brother" of Humper Monkey, who "died". Who also told a bunch of really long, unbelievable, over-the-top stories.
There's a theory that Humper Monkey is 50 Foot Ant and the convenience of him dying was a way to escape from the growing horde who were picking his stories to pieces.

Angry Bee Dance was another one who gained his fifteen minutes of GBS fame with his gradually exaggerated stories of working security at a hotel in Queensland. Helldump intervened with some hilarious goes at writing in his style (archives req).

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Kinetica posted:

A lot of people confuse the popular image of an angel with what is actually written in the Bible. Angels don't really play a role in Protestant theology, except in the context of Armageddon, so they aren't really covered by religious leaders in church. The idea of a "guardian angel" has little biblical basis, and can in fact be traced back to the Ancient Greeks. It has never been heretical, but has never been part of official church doctrine either. This means people can make poo poo up and have it be generally accepted. Being "bonded" to an anime character is crazy, being "bonded" to an angel that looks like an anime character means you are close with God and spiritually blessed.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

WebDog posted:

There's a theory that Humper Monkey is 50 Foot Ant and the convenience of him dying was a way to escape from the growing horde who were picking his stories to pieces.

I'm not sure that's a theory so much as it is totally obvious.

50 Foot Ant's stories are quite good but he never makes his own goddamn threads, he always has to hijack other people's and dominate them. His custom title used to be something like "Watch me invalidate your personal experiences with this TOTAL FABRICATION", which I found extremely fitting. People would post about poo poo that ostensibly happened to them, sometimes quite traumatic, and then Ant would barge in with one of his goddamn stories.

Good writer, no loving sense of propriety.

e: I'm sorry for helping to gay up this thread. I'd just been wanting to vent about him for ages, and didn't realise so many people felt the same way. He's probably an okay dude personally.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 11, 2011

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Corridor posted:

I'm not sure that's a theory so much as it is totally obvious.

50 Foot Ant's stories are quite good but he never makes his own goddamn threads, he always has to hijack other people's and dominate them. His custom title used to be something like "Watch me invalidate your personal experiences with this TOTAL FABRICATION", which I found extremely fitting. People would post about poo poo that ostensibly happened to them, sometimes quite traumatic, and then Ant would barge in with one of his goddamn stories.

Good writer, no loving sense of propriety.

Yeah, there's pretty much nothing new or interesting posted once he settles in. The whole thread becomes a constant lovefest for him, and you know he eats that up.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

Runcible Cat posted:

Arthur Pendragon. He's a really cool guy, in his own bizarre way. As far as he's concerned he's King Arthur, but if you don't agree eh, he's not bothered.

Offered to make me a Royal Shieldmaiden, but I said no thank you.
Oh wow, I actually ran into him when I went to visit Stonehenge a few years ago. He was protesting the archeological digs nearby. Seemed pretty chill, he just hung out with a few other folks in druid garb and seemed pretty happy to answer folks' questions. Didn't get a chance to talk to him myself though.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

Khazar-khum posted:

Yeah, there's pretty much nothing new or interesting posted once he settles in. The whole thread becomes a constant lovefest for him, and you know he eats that up.

I never really thought of 50 Foot Ant as a personality type like, say, Denise's or whatever, but yeah, now that I think about it.

I frequent the ghost stories thread and see no reason to post ever once he trods in, because nobody cares about any of the other stories posted, it becomes a 50FtA lovefest. Kinda like somebody sitting with a group of people around a campfire, trying to one up their ghost stories and butting in and taking over.

But I digress, I can definitely see the personality resemblences between him and Denise/Paolo/Any of the other people posted about in this thread.

Huh! Go figure.

Look a sunflower
Jan 6, 2010

There may be a boogeyman or boogeymen in the house.

cuntvalet posted:

I never really thought of 50 Foot Ant as a personality type like, say, Denise's or whatever, but yeah, now that I think about it.

I frequent the ghost stories thread and see no reason to post ever once he trods in, because nobody cares about any of the other stories posted, it becomes a 50FtA lovefest. Kinda like somebody sitting with a group of people around a campfire, trying to one up their ghost stories and butting in and taking over.

But I digress, I can definitely see the personality resemblences between him and Denise/Paolo/Any of the other people posted about in this thread.

Huh! Go figure.

Just wanted to let you know that while I pretty much give up on checking the ghost story threads daily once 50FA shows up, I do catch up every month or two to see if anyone else posted a story. The first half of those threads are my very favorite part of the forums :(

B-Prime
Aug 27, 2004

My BFF is dead, will you be my new BFF?

cuntvalet posted:

Huh! Go figure.

I think there's a pretty big difference between making poo poo up on the internet so strangers can give you e-high fives and coming up with some absurd mythology about yourself and insisting that all of your real life friends play along.

FYI, I have never read anything by 50 foot ant and had never heard of him before.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The only horror 50 Foot Ant knows is people not caring about 50 Foot Ant. I don't read the ghost story threads but can confirm that he had a similar effect on the Trad Games worst story thread for many many pages.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The best part is when he hijacks threads that he didn't even post on. :allears:

VVVVVV
:h:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 12, 2011

MongolArcher
Jan 2, 2009

HardDisk posted:

The best part is when he hijacks threads that he didn't even post on. :allears:

Oh HardDisk. :h: You said it best of all!

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
And look! He's taking over this very thread!Sorry, I am also bitter about the ghost stories thread.

I was an awkward kid in high school. A terrible home life left me a little strange, but not so strange that I didn't have friends. I got over the friendlessness in middle school, when I learned to bathe.

Before then, I was one of those kids who talked to her imaginary friends out loud and wishes with all her heart she was a super saiyan so that she could fight back against her abusers. I spent most of my time reading or practicing my "karate" moves. And eventually, I got over it.

Which is why this kid freaked me out so much in high school.

I don't know anyone who knows his name. We all called him Goku. He dressed in the same faded skinny jeans and the same overly-huge green jacket every day, but he didn't smell. He must have had a hundred of those things. He would run around the same poll every day at lunch, stopping only when he'd powered up his spirit bomb to shoot it off into the distance. If anyone else tried to play with him (most often to mock him, so I mostly can't blaim him for being angry), Goku would turn red with rage and shake and scream.

I graduated before him, but I saw him later in college. He was walking around with his super cute girlfriend, and he was obviously not much less crazy then before.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

nonconsensualninja posted:

I graduated before him, but I saw him later in college. He was walking around with his super cute girlfriend, and he was obviously not much less crazy then before.
Either this is a mistake or it's amazing. Was he walking around with his super cute girlfriend, while screaming and powering up a spirit bomb? Was she joining in?

It's so nice when two kindred spirits find each other. :unsmith:

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

redmercer posted:

One of my friends from back in the day named his son after his D&D character. Fortunately, the name was Logan, which is normal enough. If it had turned out to be a girl, however, she would have been named Serra Angel $LASTNAME. Yes, after the Magic card.

That still would have been better than something out of Final Fantasy. Jesus.

Sorry for this post being waaay late, but I think I might know who you're talking to because I knew a guy who wanted to name his future daughter Serra Angel (Last name starting with "C") and though having matured a bit he is still a relatively strange individual.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

At least you can pass off Serra as "Sarah, but my parents wanted to spell it weird."

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Either this is a mistake or it's amazing. Was he walking around with his super cute girlfriend, while screaming and powering up a spirit bomb? Was she joining in?

It's so nice when two kindred spirits find each other. :unsmith:

He was walking around with her on his arm, and I think they were talking about Naruto. It was... cute? Surprising, definitely.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

TombsGrave posted:

At least you can pass off Serra as "Sarah, but my parents wanted to spell it weird."

People with unusually spelled "traditional" names tend to go either one of two ways.
  1. They rebel from their parents and rename themselves 'Sarah' or 'Jackson' rather than 'Serra' and 'Jaxxon'
  2. They get disproportionately upset every single time somebody spells or says their name incorrectly.
Unfortunately it tends to be the latter.

For those of you lucky enough to wonder if people like Denise really are out there and seriously believe 'I am married to a cartoon character' is a deviantart user whose username is, ironically enough, Dolphy. From what I gather she's from Germany and is in love with the character Jim Hawkins from the Disney film Treasure Planet. She has an entire fanart gallery of Jim Hawkins and her together.

I feel a little sorry for her, to be honest, because it appears to be evidence of deeper emotional problems. Though I believe she has admitted at some point that she prefers the fantasy of her and Jim because she doesn't want to get hurt out in the real world. :smith:

An example of this is "Not real..." by Dolphy:

Though I think there is a difference between her and Denise in that Denise has no self awareness and is too self centred/attention seeking to admit she made it all up, while Dolphy appears to at least acknowledge she's just drawing her fantasies and acting like it's real because she's lonely.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day
I know one. Keesha [name protected] believes in "The Other Realm", which she claims scientists and authors have written about for centuries because she found a book on it once. Basically take every wiccan idea an 8-year-old can muster and imagine that someone in their 20s still takes it seriously. She is THE protector of the Earth (aren't they always), there's a boatman to go between worlds who has the keys or whatever nonsense (of course she's been charged with protecting those before), there are always immaterial threats coming along to destroy Earth (and only she can save us). Etc.

She's stacked unbelievably, and used to have a perfect body that she'd hide under loose clothing because of image issues. Her issues of personal space were so bad that she couldn't willfully make physical contact with IRL people even as read fanfiction porn 24/7 and prayed for the strength to try that stuff on real guys. Once guys started figuring out her weak self-image, they'd listen to her prattle on about The Other Realm endlessly as they tried to get near and realize she was incapable of having sexual thoughts about IRL men.

Thus an idea was repeatedly born- pretend to be a big poo poo in The Other Realm, and get your dick wet. Even once she figures out the guys are just lying dickbags, she'll still firmly believe they are the noble protectors they claim to be in The Other Realm. She wound up marrying a WoW-playing dwarf just like herself who also believes in The Other Realm (I'm willing to bet due to a similar gambit) so that's pretty much the final nail in her life. They have a million cats together, etc etc. Oh and they're both deadly martial artists, even though if you added their muscle mass together you might get one basement-dwelling otaku of normal stature. Oh and their Kung Fu Cult... that's something to save and see if I feel like getting identifiably specific but for example they found their dojo on Google Maps and immediately had to write 5-star reviews because they were mortally afraid of what their master was going to do if they told him about it and they hadn't left reviews yet. Because he's the real deal, you see.

:china:He's from China.:china:

I tried at one point in my life to get her liberated from her hellhole of a mindset. She has a brilliant mind and she's a voracious reader, so she could be something in life if she'd ever give up her imaginary friends. Part of her problem was her God-fearing family who constantly bombarded her with Jesus while beating the poo poo out of each other and taking credit cards out in Keesha's name thus destroying any shot she'd ever have at becoming a functioning person before she was an adult (how that stands up in court I have no idea- and they have been to court). Because she never woke up to what was going on, my attempts to broaden her horizons just means she's gone from being an uber-Christian who actively practiced witchcraft (wait what?) to a moral relativist "all our beliefs are valid in the other realm" who will greet you topless at the door just because you said you were having a bad day. Which... you know. I feel bad.

But :drat:

But she is in the process of cutting ties to her family, so there's enough of a glimmer of hope that I keep trying to slide some logic through the portal.

It's just the bold-faced nature of the bullshit though. You'll randomly be in a conversation about Joe the Dickbag who made an other realms gambit on her, and it'll go something like:

Keesha: "Remember Joe? Yeah, I still talk to him sometimes."
Mark the Hubby: "He's really powerful in The Other Realm, but he's never once gone with me to martial arts."
Keesha: "Yeah I don't get it. In The Other Realm he's so noble."
Mark: "Here he's not so great."
Keesha: "He was the best kisser though. And I bet he was good in bed because he was amazing with his fingers."
Mark and I: :wth::wth:
Keesha: (fellating a banana while maintaining eye contact with me)
Mark: (goes back to playing WoW)
Me: (now alone with his wife in an uncomfortable silence)

TannhauserGate fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 12, 2011

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

froglet posted:

I feel a little sorry for her, to be honest, because it appears to be evidence of deeper emotional problems. Though I believe she has admitted at some point that she prefers the fantasy of her and Jim because she doesn't want to get hurt out in the real world. :smith:

An example of this is "Not real..." by Dolphy:

Though I think there is a difference between her and Denise in that Denise has no self awareness and is too self centred/attention seeking to admit she made it all up, while Dolphy appears to at least acknowledge she's just drawing her fantasies and acting like it's real because she's lonely.

:smith:
I feel genuinely sorry for this girl. Like she's clearly quite talented, she is able to separate fact and fiction, and it all she's doing is trying to find a friend. That picture, in context, is literally one of the saddest things I've ever seen. drat. I hope she gets someone in her life who can help her, or at least cheer her up. :sympathy:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

TannhauserGate posted:

Thus an idea was repeatedly born- pretend to be a big poo poo in The Other Realm, and get your dick wet.

This is the worst :(
I bet part of the reason she seems so overtly sexual is because it's some of the only positive attention she feels that she can get. But the worst part is that guys would take advantage of that just for their own desires.

immature crazy people can be funny, but to take advantage of them is just so horrible. :smith:

Snapdragon750
Mar 7, 2007

PLEASE DISREGARD MY FAGGOT TREE
My BFF was married to Piccolo from Dragonball Z and was Earth's Only Defense Against The Enemy

I read through this entire thread because I couldn't believe that there was someone else in this world as messed up as Summer.

Let me start by saying that yes, I do believe that Summer was and I'm sure still is legitimately mentally ill. That said, Summer was also a selfish, attention-whoring, manipulative person. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Summer was my BFF, like BFF 4EVER from grade 7 until halfway through college. She wasn't a smelly shut-in, and the anime guy she was married to was not hot. Summer had a great figure if not such a pretty face and while she was by no means a “popular” girl, she had no trouble making friends, especially among the nerdy crowd. She liked to go out, bathed and shaved regularly, was involved with colorguard and was the elected president of the Anime Club. She was in AP and IB classes and got good grades.

Also she was secretly married to Piccolo from Dragonball Z, who had trained her to be the Ultimate Fighter so that she could defend the world from enemies, as she was Earth's Only Defense. And basically every character from anything she ever watched or read (including fanfiction) followed her around as her Guardian Angels (she called GAs) for no discernible reason. She shared this ONLY with me. And she used this on a daily basis to get me to shower her with love and praise and be at her every beck and call.

Why did I stick around, you ask? Because I had no other friends, because I had issues, or maybe because I wanted to watch the train wreck and/or help her? Nope. Because I believed her. We had already been best friends for two years before she shared her big secret to me. We were 15 at the time, and I was at her house for a sleepover when I asked, stupidly, for her life story. So...

Summer: ;-* You know how you and I are psychic and everything and totally have magical powers like we used to say in 8th grade?
Me: :) Sure okay why not!
;-* Well I can see and hear anime characters. Piccolo is sitting on the bed right now.
:) Okay...you mean...sort of like Guardian Angels?
;-* YES!!! THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE!
:) Okay...and I guess they take the form of anime characters because they know you like anime?
;-*YES EXACTLY! You are so smart. And they take the memories of those characters too so basically they are the same. Also, I bet you can sense them too! Guess where Krillin is!
:) Over there?
;-* OH MY GOSH YOU CAN TOTALLY SENSE THEM YOU ARE RIGHT!!!
:) Wow this is sort of cool and I am special!
;-* Also we are fighting enemies and I need your help!
:) ...okay!

It got weirder and weirder so gradually that I felt like I had no choice to accept each step as it came along. If I could believe in guardian angels then why couldn't they be anime....etc. I really have no excuse for this except that I was immature, naïve, and didn't want to believe my friend was insane or a liar, and it sounded like fun at the time. If I'd known where it was going I would have bailed immediately.

Where it was going:

Summer's marriage with Piccolo and their 12 kids

I get to watch her fight the enemies (the air) and fall on the ground while saying dramatic things.

“All real people have GA selves too! So everyone who I have a crush on in real life is one of my GAs!”

“Totally Real Possesson.” Summer calls it “abduction.” It got incredibly weird.

“You were mad at me for the thing I did but I was really abducted by the enemy the whole time so now you can't be mad at me.”

When she lost her memory and became a slave-girl with dog-ears and a tail because it was a plot in a fanfic she just read.

“9/11 happened because we weren't fighting the enemy hard enough.”

Summer gets abducted by Hitler and apologizes to me for, you know, the Holocaust (I'm Jewish)

“I've been dead for the past 3 months and only 1/10 of my soul was left in my body so all those fights we've had recently because I was a jerk mean nothing and we get to start over!”

Summer has sex with Piccolo while I'm visiting. A lot.

The enemy rapes Summer.

Piccolo runs for mayor of our town and the other guy running for mayor sneaks in at night and rapes Summer.

I have to stop now. This is just the tip of the iceberg, believe it or not. I could literally write a novel if I hadn't tried so darn hard to forget it all. Wish I hadn't torn out all those diary entries!

EDIT: Did I mention that last I heard, Summer is now a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist? Be careful who you go to for therapy, kids.

Snapdragon750 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 13, 2011

Pallas_Cat
May 2, 2009

Absolute Unit

Snapdragon750 posted:

My BFF was married to Piccolo from Dragonball Z and was Earth's Only Defense Against The Enemy

Whoa :stare:. I am eagerly awaiting more.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
I know my story doesn't compare to half the ones on here, but I was at the gym at my college on day. I do TKD and I help instruct the junior (ages 5-12) classes. This guy was a martial arts fanatic. He talked about how amazing he was at martial arts and the like. When we really started getting into a MA conversation, I noticed that every ability that he supposedly had "mastered" was directly from two different animes: Hajime no Ippo and Kenichi: World's Greatest Disciple. I enjoy both of these animes, and have watched them multiple times, and when he talked about how he was incredibly proficient in both the Dempsey Roll and the 6 inch punch or whatever it was called, I couldn't help but laugh.

I never called him out on it, and never saw him again, but it was definitely an amusing conversation.

Silvance fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 13, 2011

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Silvance posted:

6 inch punch or whatever it was called

Not saying this guy wasn't totally full of poo poo, but it's really not that big of a deal if you know how to throw a punch. It sounds a lot cooler than it is. It's just about having good timing and being able to rotate your foot, hips, and shoulders well. So it's entirely possible he actually could do it, but probably not.

I have no idea what a dempsey roll is.

Lvl9PinballWizard
Jun 15, 2009
Dear OP,

I really want to thank you for posting this. For creating this situation where I could read about all of these other experiences. I had a friend like this in my life, and I was a very socially awkward, overweight, depressed individual for pretty much the maority of my life, from 11 to about about a year ago, all in all fifteen years. THis friend is pretty much my oldest friend, like I literally don't remember meeting him, or him ever not being my friend. He was a pathological liar from the start about the dumbest poo poo...but man he was so....I dunno, what I thought I wanted to be. Good looking, at ease around women, confident.

Anyway, he had this elaborate fantasy world, not even based around anime, but definitely with the escapist elements. From the time I was fifteen, to twenty-three, we would fall in and out touch. He told me he could do magic, that he was some extra-worldly being. Told me I was the same...I dunno, in high school I always -wanted- to believe it, but luckily I had friends who kept my head on the level, told me it was all bullshit. As I got older, and pretty much started playing WoW all the time, he and I started smoking mad weed. Then the stories started coming back, with a very heavy religious bent, rather than the Dragons and Magic bent he'd had on it before. He hosed my head up, bad, and I dunno. I almost feel Brainwashed sometimes, like you'll hear people talk about when they get out of cults. I'm starting to get over it , like really get over it, it's easy to recognize it as fantasy when I'm not stoned.

I'm starting to think he was just a lonely and manipulative man, who saw that I would hang on every word he spoke. But man...I feel like my imagination is ruined..because it always wants to go back to that escapist fantasy that was so freeing. I felt so powerless in my life, with my parents bankruptcy, the problems in the house, the awkwardness in social situations, you know what it's like being a teenager. His fantasies made me feel like I was special, like I was powerful, like I was better than all the people who made me feel so very much like poo poo.

So again, thanks for the thread. With so many anecdotes, with all of the parallels, I can see how much bullshit it really was. So..I know that you went through a lot of poo poo with that person, but at least it helped a man who was real mixed up take another step towards being a fully-functional person.

....I've never said all of that at once, as one coherent thought. I've said all of it, at one point or another, but never to a single listener. I was...ashamed of it all. Really, from the bottom of my heart thank you.

Much Love, Joey.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011

Haraksha posted:

Not saying this guy wasn't totally full of poo poo, but it's really not that big of a deal if you know how to throw a punch. It sounds a lot cooler than it is. It's just about having good timing and being able to rotate your foot, hips, and shoulders well. So it's entirely possible he actually could do it, but probably not.

I have no idea what a dempsey roll is.

The Dempsey Roll is a type of maneuver created by Jack Dempsey, an amazing boxer in the 20s, and possible one of the greatest boxers of all time. It requires the boxer be fairly short and compact, and revolves around him basically rolling back and forth, throwing repeated hooks. It's difficult to explain without a video. The guy who told me he had mastered it was at least 6'2", and I don't believe it's possible to perfect this technique at that height. Not only that, but the technique isn't particularly effective today, compared to when it was first introduced in the 20s.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Silvance posted:

The Dempsey Roll is a type of maneuver created by Jack Dempsey, an amazing boxer in the 20s, and possible one of the greatest boxers of all time. It requires the boxer be fairly short and compact, and revolves around him basically rolling back and forth, throwing repeated hooks. It's difficult to explain without a video. The guy who told me he had mastered it was at least 6'2", and I don't believe it's possible to perfect this technique at that height. Not only that, but the technique isn't particularly effective today, compared to when it was first introduced in the 20s.

Dempsey himself was 6'1", so I don't think it's impossible.

It wouldn't be easy, though. Dempsey fought from a pretty distinct crouch, popping up when he was throwing one of those insanely powerful hooks, and I think that helped put a lot of leg-muscle strength behind them. I've attached a picture from his fight against Jess Willard (6'6.5") for reference. He also had a reach advantage, which helps the Roll work if you're tall. I remember hearing he had a 77" wingspan or something like that.

I believe Mike Tyson was also a big follower of the Dempsey Roll (he was relatively short for his weight class). Seems to have worked out OK for him.

As you say, it's not the dominating technique it once was, and there are better styles for someone that tall.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
So I looked up the Dempsey Roll. I had no idea there was a boxing anime. I have even less of an idea what to make of that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Snapdragon750 posted:

Summer gets abducted by Hitler and apologizes to me for, you know, the Holocaust (I'm Jewish)

I get the feeling that this thread still has some damned good legs.

la_fausse_tortue
Oct 25, 2011

Yes, it's a horsebutt.
Wow, 12 kids? I think that's crazy enough on its own. Magnolia, Denise's other name/self/persona before Parrier came along, was supposed to be a guardian of something, too. Probably the life, the universe, and everything. I think this might have incorporated into why Parrier was trapped in her mind and how she could let him loose.

Denise Wants a Lolita Wedding Dress for an Anime Con

Two years ago, the last con I ever attended 'with' Denise (I had planned to go solo, but decided to go a day earlier at her invitation), we (Denise, Melissa and myself) all decided to go to a masquerade ball the day before the con started. She had this incredible idea for a masquerade dress: "I'm going to make a lolita wedding dress!"

Nevermind that she didn't know much about the lolita world. Nevermind that she wasn't going to put in the research to find out about the lolita world. Nevermind that she really sucked at sewing. She was going to make that dress!

She even drew it for me. Originally, it had a 6 foot train. The train was shortened to two feet (aka, two feet dragging on the floor) when I introduced her to the image of trying to dance with a 6 foot train. She does understand logic sometimes. Can't remember much about the rest of the design, except that it had a shitload of tiny bows in rows on the train, lots of lace, and it was black.

Right. Wedding dress. This was her interpretation of gothic lolita.

At some point she recognized that she didn't have the skills to sew this dress. Well, remember how Denise likes to spend ridiculous amounts of money on equally ridiculous things?

She decided to commission someone. Someone in the lolita world, with the lolita knowledge, who had made dresses for people before. I went with her to meet this person, and watched in horror as the person agreed. Denise left, I stayed (I think I had just happened to bump into her that day, anyway). And, since the person looked like a very nice person, I decided to warn her about Denise in that Denise was likely to be pushy, dumb, and not understanding of the amount of effort that sewing a wedding dress would take. I guess I was doing some damage control, since at that point I knew Denise was an idiot.

In the end, Denise ended up sewing her own 'gothic lolita wedding dress' and, after gushing about how how awesome her dress was, ended up wallflowering it up until I called in a friendship emergency and Melissa, Denise and I got out of dodge.**

**OFF-TOPIC SIDE-STORY ABOUT FRIENDSHIP EMERGENCY THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DENISE BUT IS STILL GOOD FOR THE LOLS:
I stopped being a wallflower within minutes of arriving. Unfortunately, I was picked up by a creeper. How creepy? You be the judge:
Him: "You're what, 19?"
Me: "21. How about you?"
Him: "Guess."
Me: "25?"
Him: "37." *pulls me closer*
Me: gently caress off.
We left after it was clear the guy wouldn't stop trying to dance with me.

EDIT: Just realized this story has nothing to do with Denise's crazy. Only Denise's stupid. I'll find another story to tell.

la_fausse_tortue fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Are there any, and I mean *any* otherkin people out there that are not pants on head retarded? For context's purposes I'll admit I'm otherkin and even from my perspective I see this poo poo and I just think :wtc:. To me it's not at all anything like these people; it's just something that's there and doesn't apply in day to day life. It's practically on the level of having red hair or gray eyes or something like that to me.

Otakukin(in general) and fairy-man: you guys are loving nuts.

• Locked thread