Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

victrix posted:

Could someone point me in the direction of a great Doom wad - just good design, fun fights, etc. Nothing that's 'you have one bullet per imp and lots of annoying door/switch puzzles'

Gameplay mods are cool too, if they're worthy.

I just dusted off my ancient wads, I'd like to induldge in some nostalgia for an evening, with a fresh set of maps.

Try Jenesis or Reverie for Doom 2 or Double Impact or Redemption for Doom 1. That's just off the top of my head.

The Kins posted:

Doom The Way Id Did is out!

Dear GOD, so much Doom stuff came out this year :psyduck:
I think the rate that Doom stuff is being produced is ACCELERATING. Not that I'm complaining!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SavageMessiah posted:

Try Jenesis or Reverie for Doom 2 or Double Impact or Redemption for Doom 1. That's just off the top of my head.

Dear GOD, so much Doom stuff came out this year :psyduck:
I think the rate that Doom stuff is being produced is ACCELERATING. Not that I'm complaining!

Doom is eternal. It is never the wrong time for Doom.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Vertigus posted:

Brutal Doom makes any Doom map pack 10x more fun. Even those horrible maps that make you fight imps and barons with your BARE loving HANDS.
I think this works much better. Doom 2 Reloaded's "stealth" level became a hilarious joke when I picked up a Beserker pack from a dead imp. The ambush corridor took on a permanent red paint-job after I was through with it.

Also, I finally got through Hell Revealed with Brutal Doom (on hurt me plenty) You gotta love dying fifty times to a Spider Mastermind in a dead-end elevator room until you finally get it in your head to frantically sprint and jump entirely over the drat thing's enormous sprite, grab the key, then rocket to back to the elevator you came from at single-digit health.

Also gently caress Reverants on Brutal Doom. They happily launch volley after volley of high-damage missiles that home in on your green rear end and then proceed to beat you int the face with their little bony fists at a million miles per hour. But on the other hand every time I manage to RIP-AND-TEAR one it's like a little Christmas.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

H2Omelon posted:

Alas the Worst Wad and Mockaward categories are gone

Oh man, really? I was really looking forward to the apocalyptic meltdown Doomguy 2000 was going to have over receiving the Worst Wad for Doomguy's Warzone: Gold Edition. It's by far one of the most terrible and juvenile wads I've ever seen. The only good thing about it is watching how the author is seemingly completely oblivious to how awful his mod is.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Oh man, really? I was really looking forward to the apocalyptic meltdown Doomguy 2000 was going to have over receiving the Worst Wad for Doomguy's Warzone: Gold Edition. It's by far one of the most terrible and juvenile wads I've ever seen. The only good thing about it is watching how the author is seemingly completely oblivious to how awful his mod is.

Reading the descriptions of the various levels and monsters there made me laugh. It also reminds me of a WAD called Axl Ro's Civil War that was basically the same thing, except the author knew it was a jokewad. And it had Wesley Willis saying "gently caress you" if you pressed the use key on an unusable wall/object.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Nope. It lags harder than nuts.wad with Brutal Doom loaded. Maybe a higher end PC would be able to handle it, but I had to use FREEZE on the console in order to even be able to aim straight. It's a pity because this is otherwise an awesome goddamn map.

I'm playing through Memorial + Brutal Doom on GZDoom and apart from being kind of kind of slow for 1-2 seconds after loading a save, it doesn't seem much more taxing than Brutal Doom usually is.

Edit: Since when is the Brutal Doom Rifle full-auto? And why do the sights STILL not work right?

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 11, 2011

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Doom The Way Id Did is out! It's a full, three episode tribute to the original Doom, attempting to carefully emulate Id's mapping style as closely as possible.
Since it's all-Vanilla, it'll work with basically any gameplay mod you deign to throw at it, if you like mix-n-matching. :)

Quoting this because i've been playing the first 4 maps, and while they're different, they feel familiar and is a good thing. You think you're playing John Romero's maps... in a good way. Im just starting and feels like the best wad i've played in years (coupled with brutal doom).

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

victrix posted:

Could someone point me in the direction of a great Doom wad - just good design, fun fights, etc. Nothing that's 'you have one bullet per imp and lots of annoying door/switch puzzles'

Gameplay mods are cool too, if they're worthy.

I just dusted off my ancient wads, I'd like to induldge in some nostalgia for an evening, with a fresh set of maps.

Memento Mori 1 and 2, Requiem, Scythe 1 and 2, the Community Chest series, the New Doom Community Project series, the Darkening 1 and 2...there's a fuckton of great WADs for Doom II.

I'd throw in Hell Revealed 1 and 2, Alien Vendetta and Plutonia 2 as well but those are definitely intended to be difficult even on Hurt Me Plenty, so be advised.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Guillermus posted:

Quoting this because i've been playing the first 4 maps, and while they're different, they feel familiar and is a good thing. You think you're playing John Romero's maps... in a good way. Im just starting and feels like the best wad i've played in years (coupled with brutal doom).

He (John Romero) actually popped into the development thread to give advice and answer questions.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SavageMessiah posted:

He (John Romero) actually popped into the development thread to give advice and answer questions.

Is there a link to that?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SavageMessiah posted:

If thats true it worked because they feel solid and could pass for another 3 chapter expansion instead of an user megawad. If there is someone that doesnt believe me, try it out.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

So tooooo bad found me this really great class wad.

It's got Doom guy/Heretic/Hexen/Blood/TF2/HL2/Shadow/Dark/Strife guy, etc...

Also, it works with like any game. Doom, heretic, hexen. It's killer.

I've been thinking about hosting DTWID with this class wad.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Kazvall posted:

Today? If you can get it up within the next hour I'm in :)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Somehow found myself with a lot of crap to do today. Definitely want to host if I can. By 5-6pm est until 10pm est sounds pretty good. I start a new job tomorrow, can't stay up too late.

nahob
Feb 21, 2011

[center]i am invincible[/center]

Kazvall posted:

Somehow found myself with a lot of crap to do today. Definitely want to host if I can. By 5-6pm est until 10pm est sounds pretty good. I start a new job tomorrow, can't stay up too late.

I'll be there.

ChurlishToff
Oct 24, 2010

BRONY SPOTTED

Kazvall posted:

So tooooo bad found me this really great class wad.

It's got Doom guy/Heretic/Hexen/Blood/TF2/HL2/Shadow/Dark/Strife guy, etc...

Also, it works with like any game. Doom, heretic, hexen. It's killer.

I'd love to muck around with that. Do you have a link?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

http://thedailypos.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lm7pg3t3ni79ji974njs2tr805&topic=8149.0

Just click on the skmega top link, it's the version I'm using.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Alright goons.

DTWID/SKMEGA GOONDOOM -

71.88.32.115:10666

STRONGHOLD GOONDOOM -

71.88.32.115:10667

If you can't find SKMEGA wad it's right above this post.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just trying out DTWID with a generic HD texture pack (plus HQ3X scaling on everything else), classic doom music remixes, Brutal Doom, UV difficulty + fast monsters. This is what Doom probably would have felt like if it released several years later down the line. Fun stuff.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Caleb in this is insanely overpowered.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm retarded, how do you load new wads into GZdoom? One of those wads recommended says it requires Boom, which I downloaded, and it complains it won't even run in Win7.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

victrix posted:

I'm retarded, how do you load new wads into GZdoom? One of those wads recommended says it requires Boom, which I downloaded, and it complains it won't even run in Win7.

GZDoom will run any WAD except for a rare few that are for the Eternal engine only. Boom-compatible basically means 'vanilla with some internal limits removed'.

For a single WAD? Just drag and drop it onto GZDoom. For multiple? Get Quickly Launchering GZDoom from the OP and use that to set up a load order/launch profiles for you.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Just uploaded skmega.wad to wadhost so hopefully if you just connect to the server wadseeker should find it on its own.
e: Weird, getwad connects to http://wadhost.fathax.com but doesn't download it. Maybe it'll work later.

e: We just finished e1m8 and instead of going to the second episode it just kicked us back to e1m1. Don't know what's up with that.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 12, 2011

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm back, switched map to episode 2.

Going to be playing Stronghold for the next few hours.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 12, 2011

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
When I try to connect is says "level authentication failed".

I'm using skmega.pk3, dtwid.wad, and dtwid.deh, running skulltag 0.98d. I got SKMEGA from the link above the IPs, and DTWID from this post.

Any ideas?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

^ Might be a server error. But forget that because........

Kazvall and I are playing on his Stronghold server right now and apparently we could desperately use some help.

It's 71.88.32.115:10667 and wadseeker or getwad shouldn't have any trouble finding the wads you need to connect.

If you don't know what Stronghold is it's pretty much an extremely well done wave-based survival mode with a ton of different stages and weapons and powerups to buy. It's super cool and you guys should join us!

e: it's made for opengl mode and you really should be running it in that mode to play.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 12, 2011

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dominic White posted:

GZDoom will run any WAD except for a rare few that are for the Eternal engine only. Boom-compatible basically means 'vanilla with some internal limits removed'.

For a single WAD? Just drag and drop it onto GZDoom. For multiple? Get Quickly Launchering GZDoom from the OP and use that to set up a load order/launch profiles for you.

Thanks for this, easy enough, messing around with various wads

Out of curiosity, are there wads for Heretic or (especially) Hexen? I loved both of those games.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

victrix posted:

Out of curiosity, are there wads for Heretic or (especially) Hexen? I loved both of those games.

A good number, but a tiny fraction when compared to Doom. You can find most stuff on this site, although their database is barely sorted and hard to search. I recall reading that the group that did the ZPack are currently working on a modernized Heretic campaign, though.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

We restarted the server in coop mode so you shouldn't have to spectate when you join and lives should be working!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

victrix posted:

Thanks for this, easy enough, messing around with various wads

I will be hosting some heretic wads with the skmega class pack soon!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Install Gentoo posted:

Is there a link to that?

He didn't post much but here you go:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=443033&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Amazing how well these games hold up. Not sure what thats a commentary on, but its kind of sad.

Is there some way to make GZDoom not so uh... unfriendly to multimonitor/alt tabbing? It basically sets my desktop to 640x480 or whatever, killing the second screen.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

victrix posted:

Is there some way to make GZDoom not so uh... unfriendly to multimonitor/alt tabbing? It basically sets my desktop to 640x480 or whatever, killing the second screen.
You can run it in Windowed mode.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I've never had any problems with GZDoom fullscreen and my second monitor. You realize that you can run GZDoom at your desktop resolution right?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Brutal Doom is amazing. It's sort of a baffling mod, because I'm enjoying it purely because of the balance/difficulty changes, not because of all the silly gore and gibs stuff.

It's making some of these maps a real horror show, please don't drop me in a room with 8 sergeants at point blank range sir :gonk:

These wads are amazing, Doom is amazing :buddy:

Is Skulltag pretty straightforward to set up? I have to get some friends in for some coop action on some of these megawads, I'm playing several of them on hurt me plenty because they're already insane with brutal doom, some UV coop would be great.

Oh, and are .deh files loaded just the same as the rest of the wads in GZDoom? (select all, drag to exe?) I ask because I ran into a few maps in dtwid that I simply could not complete, despite hammering on every single wall on the map, I had to idclip past a few points, and I'm wondering if its because I forgot to load a .deh file, or it didn't load properly or something.

I don't suppose there's anything remotely similar to Brutal Doom for Heretic or Hexen?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

victrix posted:

Brutal Doom is amazing. It's sort of a baffling mod, because I'm enjoying it purely because of the balance/difficulty changes, not because of all the silly gore and gibs stuff.

It's making some of these maps a real horror show, please don't drop me in a room with 8 sergeants at point blank range sir :gonk:

These wads are amazing, Doom is amazing :buddy:

Is Skulltag pretty straightforward to set up? I have to get some friends in for some coop action on some of these megawads, I'm playing several of them on hurt me plenty because they're already insane with brutal doom, some UV coop would be great.

Oh, and are .deh files loaded just the same as the rest of the wads in GZDoom? (select all, drag to exe?) I ask because I ran into a few maps in dtwid that I simply could not complete, despite hammering on every single wall on the map, I had to idclip past a few points, and I'm wondering if its because I forgot to load a .deh file, or it didn't load properly or something.

I don't suppose there's anything remotely similar to Brutal Doom for Heretic or Hexen?

As much as I know, .deh files are Dehacked patches to add non-vanilla features to the original exes. It's largely an appeasement to purists who like to know that this 2011 wad will work on the old Doom code that came out in 1993/4, and shouldn't be necessary if you're using anything made since then. The OP contains some good advice about source ports and how to load custom files, the long and short of which is you should use ZDL or Quickly Launchering Zdoom to save yourself a load of effort!

Regarding Skulltag, it's about as simple as you can get. Just install the software, load Doomseeker and find the server you want to play on (not forgetting to tell it where your IWADs are stored). If you're planning on hosting a server you might need to set up some port forwarding, but this shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes if you have a decent router.

Regarding Heretic/Hexen weapons mods, give Nazis a shot :)

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Convex posted:

As much as I know, .deh files are Dehacked patches to add non-vanilla features to the original exes. It's largely an appeasement to purists who like to know that this 2011 wad will work on the old Doom code that came out in 1993/4, and shouldn't be necessary if you're using anything made since then.

Nah, not really. It's still used because it's compatible with pretty nearly every enhanced Doom port, including all the non-ZDoom-based ones. :)

The hardcore "purists" in question largely only exist within DominicWhite's imagination, and the few of them who do exist tend to be either ignored or given funny looks. A lot of the same people working on classic vanilla-compatible projects like DTWiD and Back to Saturn X have also been heavily involved in source port projects like Stronghold, The Shores of ZDoom, Vaporware, and so on. This stuff doesn't get done to appease anybody, we just enjoy playing and working on the simple stuff as much as we do the really elaborate projects.

victrix posted:

The .deh file included with DTWiD is just used to define the custom map names, and doesn't have any other effect on the game. In most source ports (ZDoom included) you don't need to load the file separately, though, as we also included it in the wad itself.

What map(s) are you stuck on? They're all completable without cheats or secrets.

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 12, 2011

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a ZDoom port of The Sky May Be yet? I played it through DOSbox and being forced into 800x600 and none of the modern ZDoom features sucks.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Stuntman posted:

Is there a ZDoom port of The Sky May Be yet? I played it through DOSbox and being forced into 800x600 and none of the modern ZDoom features sucks.

Nope. It abuses the Doom engine in ways that no port can comprehend.

This developer's walkthrough is an internet treasure.

Edit: He says that the Doom Legacy engine in openGL mode can handle it, though.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
For a more stable and up-to-date port than Legacy, I'm pretty sure The Sky May Be will run without issues in Eternity Engine.