Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgYLR6kHuEM

DOWN GOES BEETLEJUICE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sikki Nixx
Sep 3, 2011

Whether you like it, or you don't like it, learn to love it! WOOOOO!
If I ever achieve my life long dream of meeting Jeff Jarrett, I'll refer to him as Mr. Slapnuts.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Astro7x posted:

I was thinking, as lovely as the Seven gimmick was, I really wish they would have let it play out for at least one week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbhZmuuaww&feature=related

Dude frickin' floated to the ring!

There's also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWtXAtGJ4JQ&feature=related

I have no issue with Seven.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Bumping because the elusive photo was finally found here:

http://t.co/rXtLkudq

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Moose Bigelow posted:

I never thought I'd live to see this day. Thank you, this is Christmas come early

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Moose Bigelow posted:

Mods please embed this as the background.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I should really close the thread here, but who knows maybe something even better is yet to come.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
So I started watching Nitro's from 1999 chronologically and what happened during the first Nitro for the year? The finger-poke of doom.

It's funny, this made me realise that I only started watching WCW as a kid the week after this happened so I only ever saw the decline of WCW.

In saying that though, the finbger-poke of doom episode is actually quite a good show excluding this, Flair was really amazing as WCW commissioner.

When did the show actually start declining drastically in quality? As I've always heard Nitro didn't actually start getting awful for a while after the finger-poke but it's where it can all be traced back to.

Another thing in retrospect I've found really interesting is the distinct difference in approach you can see present in the WWF's and WCW's product at the time and the difference between the fan base.... WCW audiences were really gross.

Did the Monday Night War's effect where the promotionss toured? Like did WWF stay out of the south for the most part or anything like that?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sue Denim posted:

Did the Monday Night War's effect where the promotionss toured? Like did WWF stay out of the south for the most part or anything like that?

Not that I can remember. We[Atlanta] got to have a Royal Rumble in... 2002 drat, then the DX invasion thingy, and a few others. Atlanta didn't get a ppv till 2002 WTF mate, but South Carolina, Texas, and Tennessee got a few PPVs during the wars.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 11, 2011

Sikki Nixx
Sep 3, 2011

Whether you like it, or you don't like it, learn to love it! WOOOOO!

Moose Bigelow posted:

That is the most beuatiful thing I have ever seen.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Moose Bigelow posted:

yes... yesssss

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Sue Denim posted:

When did the show actually start declining drastically in quality? As I've always heard Nitro didn't actually start getting awful for a while after the finger-poke but it's where it can all be traced back to.

About the end of 1998. Everything in 1999 is pretty god awful. I'd even prefer to watch the Russo stuff late in the year over 1999 WCW before he arrived. The Russo era is so crazy, so stupid, and so hosed up that it's fascinating. The first of half of 99 WCW is just bad in the sense that it's boring. It's like WWE today. It's bad but it's not so bad that you can laugh at it. It's not watchable for any reason.

1999 from Jan to about July is the worst product WCW ever put on TV.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

About the end of 1998. Everything in 1999 is pretty god awful. I'd even prefer to watch the Russo stuff late in the year over 1999 WCW before he arrived. The Russo era is so crazy, so stupid, and so hosed up that it's fascinating. The first of half of 99 WCW is just bad in the sense that it's boring. It's like WWE today. It's bad but it's not so bad that you can laugh at it. It's not watchable for any reason.

March through early May at least produced some great matches and a great PPV. The summer of 99 and the summer of 2000 were far worse than early 99.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

MassRayPer posted:

March through early May at least produced some great matches and a great PPV. The summer of 99 and the summer of 2000 were far worse than early 99.

I remember watching this period and reacting like Homer in the BYOBBBQ episode. "It's a little slimy but it's still good it's still good"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Look what I found on the Pro Wrestling Only board: The mythical USA today ad http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff143/bkdtatrhrt/birdshit.jpg

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's actually been posted in several threads here already, including this one on this very page!

But still, it's an exciting time and we can all be forgiven for our enthusiasm :)

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 11, 2011

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Look what I found on the Pro Wrestling Only board

Did you even look at anything on this page?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

404GoonNotFound posted:

Did you even look at anything on this page?

You really can't blame El Gallinero Gros for being so excited when seeing it that they decided to post it everywhere without double checking.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If you want to see WCW doing something insanely amazing and constructive, check out this thread today!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lone Rogue posted:

post everywhere without double checking.

My kind of posting style. Now check out this old WCW ad I found in USA Today!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/...rt/birdshit.jpg

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Request to change thread title to 'WCW: Looks like something a bird left on the hood of my car'.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
So, have we confirmed that there was no full page ad at this point, or was there more than one?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I posted:

Request to change thread title to 'WCW: Looks like something a bird left on the hood of my car'.

Was that ad even real though? You'd think if it was it would have shown up on the Internet by now.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Sue Denim posted:

Another thing in retrospect I've found really interesting is the distinct difference in approach you can see present in the WWF's and WCW's product at the time and the difference between the fan base.... WCW audiences were really gross.

I think that has more to do with the difference of lighting and how the shows were shot than one promotion having a classier audience than the other. The crowds were more visible at WCW shows.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Edit ^^^^^^^^^^ Yeah, Raw was full of as many dumb hicks as Nitro was, but WWE was so far behind in production values for a real long time you couldn't tell.

Sue Denim posted:

They way I believe it works is that you do your PPVs and TV tapings out of your "home turf" to get publicity and fan attention in other areas and then you'd do a house show there as well (Say House show/PPV/TV taping triple shot) and then you'd head back up to the North East and make some money. So if you are watching those shows pay attention to where they did their house show business because that's where they made their money.

So yes, they would tour their home regions more frequently, but would be all over the country for PPVs and TV tapings.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 12, 2011

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I posted:

Why hasn't this already been done?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Was that ad even real though? You'd think if it was it would have shown up on the Internet by now.
Shut up, J-Ru! :mad:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

LordPants posted:

Edit ^^^^^^^^^^ Yeah, Raw was full of as many dumb hicks as Nitro was, but WWE was so far behind in production values for a real long time you couldn't tell.

I miss the old RAW scaffolding sets.

Was is it Thunder that had the BIG loving FORTRESS DOOR as its entrance set?

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Yeah I may have spoken too soon, the first episode of the year was pretty good but the rest of January hasn't been very good, it's mostly the Wolfpack burring anyone who isn't Goldburg or Flair. There was a really fantastic vignette though where after Flair won control of WCW at Starcade from Biscoff and had him doing medial labour within the company like setting up the ring before shows which really amused me despite how silly they were, Bischoff was really good at having a sense of self iroy in these.

I really enjoyed having three hours of wrestling while it was airing originally but looking back now I find it really hard to sit through three hours. Oddly enough, i think the Russo format probably would have been more suited for three hours purely because of how fast the shows moved and the way the format for each show seemed to change.

savinhill posted:

I think that has more to do with the difference of lighting and how the shows were shot than one promotion having a classier audience than the other. The crowds were more visible at WCW shows.
Hmm, okay. WCW crowds just seem way more rabid to me although a lot of it seems to be because of the free reign people like Scott Steiner got on the microphone at the time. WWF crowds just seem a little more reserved to me and I've never seen them doing things like littering the ring like I saw frequently in WCW.

Another thing I've noticed, Scott Hall's wrestling is fairly average although more interesting than a lot of WCW main eventers at the time but the way he commands the crowd is incredible. I'm guessing he was probably still having substance abuse issues at this time but he still seems miles ahead of the pack in a lot of ways, he really seems to absorb himself and inhabit his character with little things that really help to suspend your disbelief, this is especially demonstrated in the dynamic involved in how he interacts with other wrestlers. A good example is when Disco Inferno was trying to score brownie points with the NWO, when they walked to the ring together he'll kind of act like he's getting into Disco's disco schtick but when Disco isn't looking he'll start doing it in a patronising way to the camera, which is exactly how you'd expect the Scott Hall character to act around the Disco character.

This made me really sad because it's the first time I really understood the potential Hall wasted, his acting and performing sensibilities are kind of (although not quite on par) with Flair in the sense that they vastly exceeded what most wrestlers were expected and capable of in this department and it really seemed to add another layer of depth.

Something that watching these shows retrospectively has confirmed for me is that I was right in disagreeing with todays romanticised view of the first hour of Nitro. As I remembered and suspected the first hour a lot of the time was filled with long promos from Hogan or Nash that would fill up surprising amounts of time and there quite often would be terrible under card matches.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Sorry for the double post, but I feel this deserves it's own.

Seeing the difference between Flair in 1999 and 2011 almost made me cry.

It has nothing to do with the way he's aged as that isn't surprising given his age and lifestyle but just seeing him in a sold out Georgia Dome and seeing the pure admiration he unanimously received from fans because of the way (particularly at the time) in kayfabe and in reality he was seen as the embodiment and spirit of WCW was an amazing sight that I wish those who never saw him in WCW could see.

The aura of respect he was treated with within WCW in and outside of kayfabe compared to how he's presented and received in TNA is really depressing.

I know that his descent over the past decade has been his own doing in many ways but I can't help but respect someone so willing to sacrifice for what they love and so willing to continue to earn their keep. Knowing that he walked out on relatively easy plentiful money from WWE and continuing to do so presumedly so he could continue to do what he loves for much less money and much more demanding work speaks volumes about Flair's passion to me.

I really hope everything works out in the end for Flair.
(Although like a lot of people I feel like Hunter will probably take car of him.)

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 12, 2011

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you can, watch the Thunders from the same period. There is actually some fairly decent TV in there. Plus sometimes they get to go and play in their own continuity completely seperate from Nitro.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sue Denim posted:

Hunter will probably take car of him.)

Heenan: You need to take care of Flair! YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF FLAIR!!!

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

MrBling posted:

If you can, watch the Thunders from the same period. There is actually some fairly decent TV in there. Plus sometimes they get to go and play in their own continuity completely seperate from Nitro.
I might try and do that although it wouldn't have the same nostalgic value, as far as I'm aware Thunder was never broadcast in Australia so I never saw it.

I have heard though it was fairly on par with Nitro for a while though but eventually a lot of the main eventers decided they didn't want to do Thunder.

Is it in the same kind of mould as Smackdown is to Raw these days? Less big matches, more solid matches with good workers?

Can anyone tell me when the first Vince Russo era started in WCW? It was in 1999, right?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Except for at the very beginning, none of the real big stars were ever on Thunder.

It was in every sense of the word the B-show.

In 1999 and 2000 it was pretty much home to all the cruiserweights that weren't Rey Mysterio and all the lower and mid card guys like Team Canada (pre-insane Lance Storm push) and Misfits in Action.

They would sometimes try and continue the Nitro storylines but for the most part it was just matches within their own storylines.

As bad as Nitro was in 2000, Thunder at least had decent to good matches despite everything else being kinda poo poo.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I think Russo was brought in right around Fall Brawl in 1999.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

Can anyone tell me when the first Vince Russo era started in WCW? It was in 1999, right?

Russo's first episode is October 18th 1999. It's the go-home show for Halloween Havoc, and the massive change in direction for pretty much everything is noticeable and staggering.

He, of course, takes no responsibility for how bad that episode is and insists he had to do what he could to salvage the awful storylines going on when he arrived.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Oatgan posted:

Russo's first episode is October 18th 1999. It's the go-home show for Halloween Havoc, and the massive change in direction for pretty much everything is noticeable and staggering.

He, of course, takes no responsibility for how bad that episode is and insists he had to do what he could to salvage the awful storylines going on when he arrived.

Bro, you don't understand the politics

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

triplexpac posted:

Bro, you don't understand the politics

Russo's shoot should be required viewing for anyone going into politics.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

LordPants posted:

They way I believe it works is that you do your PPVs and TV tapings out of your "home turf" to get publicity and fan attention in other areas and then you'd do a house show there as well (Say House show/PPV/TV taping triple shot) and then you'd head back up to the North East and make some money. So if you are watching those shows pay attention to where they did their house show business because that's where they made their money.

So yes, they would tour their home regions more frequently, but would be all over the country for PPVs and TV tapings.

I don't know if this is entirely true. WCW hit New York very infrequently, but I was always really upset because WWF never did a taping or PPV in Atlanta until after WCW was dead. I think the 2002 Rumble was the first WWE PPV in Atlanta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Matt Cruea posted:

I don't know if this is entirely true. WCW hit New York very infrequently, but I was always really upset because WWF never did a taping or PPV in Atlanta until after WCW was dead. I think the 2002 Rumble was the first WWE PPV in Atlanta.

WCW hit other parts of New York. Also, I think WCW and WWF had different deals with different arenas. I don't recall the WWF hitting up the Palace of Auburn Hills much, just as I don't recall WCW using Joe Louis Arena much.