Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Planet Alcatraz is pretty amazing. bhlaab's playing the game semi(?)-blind which works quite well and his commentary is funny too, but the real star is the game itself. It's a bizzare, stupid, randomly racist and nosensical game and the bad translation makes it even better. It would be hard to write a description that really does the game justice, so here's a screenshot of an early instant game over screen:

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lethemonster posted:

Can someone point me to some amusing/informative screenshot LPs? Wanna flick through some before I put together a screenshot post for something.

The White Dragon and Orange Fluffy Sheep's work are some pretty good starting points for humorous/informative SSLPs.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

GuavaMoment posted:

A MOO2 LP has been archived.

I recieved this recommendation last night. I had an exam this morning at 9:00; that did not stop me from staying up past midnight and reading this. Very cool LP, thank you.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Lethemonster posted:

Can someone point me to some amusing/informative screenshot LPs? Wanna flick through some before I put together a screenshot post for something.

http://lparchive.org/Drakengard/

Amusing, informative.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Lethemonster posted:

This is the point where I recommend Nakar's Ultima threads (which I can't link to because of odd work web filter restrictions but they're in the LP Archive), like I always do.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Lethemonster posted:

http://lparchive.org/search/%22The%20Dark%20Id%22#results

http://lparchive.org/Ghost-Trick-Phantom-Detective/

http://lparchive.org/Gazillionaire-Deluxe/

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Proteus4994 posted:

This is the point where I recommend Nakar's Ultima threads (which I can't link to because of odd work web filter restrictions but they're in the LP Archive), like I always do.
Yes, Proteus, that is exactly the right thing to do.

Seriously, go read Nakar's Ultima LPs. Go ahead. And then when you're done, read the rest of them.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Myron posted:

Planet Alcatraz is pretty amazing. bhlaab's playing the game semi(?)-blind which works quite well and his commentary is funny too, but the real star is the game itself. It's a bizzare, stupid, randomly racist and nosensical game and the bad translation makes it even better. It would be hard to write a description that really does the game justice, so here's a screenshot of an early instant game over screen:

Yep.
Oh, shhit, thanks for the tip.
I played this game years ago, and I haven't encountered a more vile piece of electronic entertainment to this day. I haven't played Duke Nukem Forever, but it has to be fairly innocent fun compared to this.

Now excuse me while I go and relive the nightmare.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
I just got finished watching the Chulip LP by Jamesman , and I gotta say I loving loved it.

This game itself is just so bizarre and novel, and Jamesman is pretty amusing too, especially when he's getting dicked over by the game (and it happens a lot.)

Well worth a watch, and I'm sure the thread makes it even better if you have archive access.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zengetsu posted:

I just got finished watching the Chulip LP by Jamesman , and I gotta say I loving loved it.

This game itself is just so bizarre and novel, and Jamesman is pretty amusing too, especially when he's getting dicked over by the game (and it happens a lot.)

Well worth a watch, and I'm sure the thread makes it even better if you have archive access.

I tried watching that LP a couple years ago, and I think somewhere around the second time in a row where he got so dicked over by the game that he basically accomplished nothing in 20 minutes of recording time I had to stop. :psyduck: Might give it another shot while following the thread, though -- I can see how that would improve the experience now that you mention it. The game is certainly strange enough that I kind of want to see where it was going.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I second Chulip. The game is an amazing journey from start to finish, and Jamesman does a good job of showing off pretty much everything. I've never wanted to yank out my PS2 and buy a crazy game so badly after rewatching his LP.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

loquacius posted:

I tried watching that LP a couple years ago, and I think somewhere around the second time in a row where he got so dicked over by the game that he basically accomplished nothing in 20 minutes of recording time I had to stop. :psyduck: Might give it another shot while following the thread, though -- I can see how that would improve the experience now that you mention it. The game is certainly strange enough that I kind of want to see where it was going.

I can understand this, but at the same time, it's all about the journey. He does a great job of showing off a lot of the gameplay, despite the fact that the game does its damndest to gently caress him, not to mention the fact that he has technical difficulties a few times through the LP.

Despite this, I love it, just for the simple fact that Chulip is such a strange video game. As I said before, I've never seen a game anything quite like it, and at times it's just bizarre.

That said, I think I ended up skipping the 48th episode from lack of interest, but that was the only one out of the 52 episodes.

Micawber
Sep 24, 2011

Lethemonster posted:

Quovak's LP of Chrono Trigger is amazing, but since I am literally made of hyperbole and am contiunly excited about everything forever, it's imposible for me to describe why without sounding like I'm ineffectually trying to sell you something. Essentially though it's good natured coverage of a game that the LPer loves but who isn't blind to its faults, with a tangent-prone, strangly serious sense of humor which, given the charming absurdity of the source material, is amusing. You'll probably not going to start laughing while reading it, and calling the LP "hilarious" would result in Raised Eyebrows, but it's consistently a good time. And man, how DO you describe Quovork's writing style anyway? Rogue academic?

There's also BrainWeasel's Final Fantasy X-2 LP, which takes an in-depth look at a game quite a few people have a weird sort of knee-jerk fanboy hate for. While BrainWeasel's communtary isn't really going for laughs, the material is pretty silly and more than that it's a good example of how to do an informative LP for a rpg (I'm assuming you want this for Xenoblades?).

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Go deeper with it. I'd describe Quovak's writing as "meta." Not in the hipster cliche sense, but in the fact that he writes on a level beyond anyone else here; he's either doing it to parody eloquence or is providing comedy for us in an incredibly high-minded sort of way.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Azure_Horizon posted:

Go deeper with it. I'd describe Quovak's writing as "meta." Not in the hipster cliche sense, but in the fact that he writes on a level beyond anyone else here; he's either doing it to parody eloquence or is providing comedy for us in an incredibly high-minded sort of way.

One of his punchlines was linking pictures of fish after each paragraph after each screenshot so who the hell knows at this point. I'm going with "goddamn lunatic".

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
The Quovak one I don't like but the others are great, thanks folks.

Are pretty much all the decent LPs in the lp archive or is it worth digging around with SA archives for some more?

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Tons of LPs never get archived, usually through a combination of the thread not being a blockbuster and the writer not really bothering or caring enough to archive it himself. The archive's only criteria is whether an LP was finished, not whether it was good.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Egomaniac posted:

Tons of LPs never get archived, usually through a combination of the thread not being a blockbuster and the writer not really bothering or caring enough to archive it himself. The archive's only criteria is whether an LP was finished, not whether it was good.

Also, quite a few lost images in the Waffleimages meltdown, or lost videos to some hosting issue or other, and thus were complete at one time but aren't really in an archivable state at the moment.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

malkav11 posted:

Also, quite a few lost images in the Waffleimages meltdown, or lost videos to some hosting issue or other, and thus were complete at one time but aren't really in an archivable state at the moment.

I think the Limbo Of The Lost LP almost vanished because of that.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

malkav11 posted:

You still have issues with that in the archive itself for some LPs. Grand Theft Auto 3, for example, is in the archive, but all the videos have been deleted. The Heart of Darkness LP is missing two of it's videos.

Always a shame to run across them too.

All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Zengetsu posted:

Grand Theft Auto 3, for example, is in the archive, but all the videos have been deleted.

No, the videos have been backed up to the Internet Archive, and can be found here.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Zengetsu posted:

You still have issues with that in the archive itself for some LPs. Grand Theft Auto 3, for example, is in the archive, but all the videos have been deleted. The Heart of Darkness LP is missing two of it's videos.

Always a shame to run across them too.

All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...

GTA3's videos can be found in the internet archive.

http://www.archive.org/details/LP_Grand_Theft_Auto_3

there's usually a link there on the LPArchive page if the original hosts don't work anymore.

E;FB

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

Tobias Grant posted:

GTA3's videos can be found in the internet archive.

http://www.archive.org/details/LP_Grand_Theft_Auto_3

there's usually a link there on the LPArchive page if the original hosts don't work anymore.

E;FB

Doh, somehow my eyes managed to glaze over that when I first looked at it, but thanks guys, gonna give it a watch now that I know it's still there.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I love roguelikes, but I just can't read screenshot or text heavy LP's - I'm really only interested in video. I know it sounds like the stupidest poo poo in the wold, as a roguelike seems to lend itself to text and screens more than video, but does such a thing exist by anyone that is entertaining/continually interesting? Having trouble finding anything.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's a Nethack video series in the archives.

http://lparchive.org/Nethack-(by-Filburt-Shellbach)/

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Psalmanazar posted:

There's a Nethack video series in the archives.

http://lparchive.org/Nethack-(by-Filburt-Shellbach)/

Also Slash 'em

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Proteus4994 posted:

Also Slash 'em

That's... exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

NET WT 30 OZ
Apr 12, 2003

YES
Any chance there's a good Bioshock LP out there? I can't find any in the archive.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

NET WT 30 OZ posted:

Any chance there's a good Bioshock LP out there? I can't find any in the archive.
JustOffscreen did one though I can't for the life of me find it, but it doesn't look like it was ever added to the archives for some reason.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I don't think it got very far.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Niggurath posted:

JustOffscreen did one though I can't for the life of me find it, but it doesn't look like it was ever added to the archives for some reason.

Because it was abandoned as soon as Mass Effect 2 came out.

ruttivendolo
Oct 31, 2010

by elpintogrande
I was looking for a Shenmue LP and I found those two:

Archived VLP from T40's
Screenshot LP on LParchive

wich one should I read/watch?

Also: there's no decent Shenmue II LP available on the net?

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

ruttivendolo posted:

I was looking for a Shenmue LP and I found those two:

Archived VLP from T40's
Screenshot LP on LParchive

wich one should I read/watch?

Also: there's no decent Shenmue II LP available on the net?

It actually depends on what sort of shenmue experience you want. The VLP is a shamefully accurate experience, where the guys are kinda terrible at the game, but you get the full "this game is soulcrushingly slow" progression. The SSLP makes the game look somewhat better but is kinda dry.

I personally really like the T40s one, but theirs is a style that not everyone is fond of. Watch a video of theirs first and if you like it carry on!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Recommendations! Two completely different LPs have had very similar and very awesome developments that warrant the attention of the discriminating reader.

First, if you're not already reading FirstAidKite's teardown of DeviantArtist EriksBlue's unique visual novel Torn Apart: Over the Net; Kay, you should start now. You see, some moron decided it would be really funny to link the author of the game to the thread. He was probably doing it to troll her. However, instead of throwing a fit and removing all traces of her work from the internet (as seems to be the norm when a work gets, erm, torn apart on the internet), she came over here, put up :10bux:, joined the thread and started accepting criticism. No one's really keeping score on her, but if someone was, they'd be a complete rear end in a top hat if they didn't award her a bonus equal in magnitude to all the penalties she has so far simply for daring showing her face in the thread and saying "have at me". Let's Help An Aspiring Artist Recover From DeviantArt!

Second, if you're not already reading Declan MacManus's bitter struggle against modder Archael's notorious Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3 mod, you should start now. You see, some moron decided it would be really funny to link the creator of the mod to the thread. He was probably doing it for laughs. Sure enough, Archael showed up and started acting like an arrogant prick. But then, something wonderful happened; someone wrote a post that made him listen, and within 24 hours, he had not only relented (slightly), but actually developed and released a new version based on feedback from the thread re: what was interesting and what was just batshit unfair. Let's Help Refine A Popular Videogame Mod For A New Audience!

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Fedule posted:

First, if you're not already reading FirstAidKite's teardown of DeviantArtist EriksBlue's unique visual novel Torn Apart: Over the Net; Kay, you should start now. You see, some moron decided it would be really funny to link the author of the game to the thread. He was probably doing it to troll her. However, instead of throwing a fit and removing all traces of her work from the internet (as seems to be the norm when a work gets, erm, torn apart on the internet), she came over here, put up :10bux:, joined the thread and started accepting criticism. No one's really keeping score on her, but if someone was, they'd be a complete rear end in a top hat if they didn't award her a bonus equal in magnitude to all the penalties she has so far simply for daring showing her face in the thread and saying "have at me". Let's Help An Aspiring Artist Recover From DeviantArt!

Yeah I reccomended that earlier, and agreeing with everything Fedule is saying here, I now recommend it even more. Seriously, it's pretty great to see the author of the game show up and start listening to criticism. Not only is the LP entertaining as hell, but there's a whole new level now. Personally I hope the experience will indeed help our aspiring artist here improve for the better. It's definitely worth following this, at any rate.

The FFT mod thread sounds interesting, but do I have to know anything about the original game to appreciate the LP?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Meis posted:

Yeah I reccomended that earlier, and agreeing with everything Fedule is saying here, I now recommend it even more. Seriously, it's pretty great to see the author of the game show up and start listening to criticism. Not only is the LP entertaining as hell, but there's a whole new level now. Personally I hope the experience will indeed help our aspiring artist here improve for the better. It's definitely worth following this, at any rate.

The FFT mod thread sounds interesting, but do I have to know anything about the original game to appreciate the LP?

Yeah, the thread has become pretty heartwarming, considering this is SA and all.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

It may only be a few updates in, but the Infinite Space LP is shaping up to be pretty great. It's a very in-depth LP of a fantastic strategy game on the DS that was overlooked in North America, probably due to the fact that it gets as hard as nails. A word to the wise if you want to play it for yourself: finding a cart can be pretty difficult since the production run was so limited. When they pop up on eBay they can go for as much as $100.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
This Hopkins FBI LP is one of my favorites. Is there anything someone would recommend that's very similar to the style and presentation of davidspackage in this one?

PaulMorel
Oct 16, 2008
I didn't read the davidspackage LP of Hopkins FBI, but I know Vlaphor made some pretty good LPs of terrible games, including Hopkins FBI and this one http://lparchive.org/Harvester/ which is awesome.

EDIT: davidspackage also made a LP of Phantasmagoria 2 which I liked a lot http://lparchive.org/Phantasmagoria-2/

PaulMorel fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

PaulMorel posted:

I didn't read the davidspackage LP of Hopkins FBI,

Well you should rectify that ASAP.

Also even though it's screenshot and not video, I totally reccomend the Blackstar LP that Davidspackage did. I think it finished about a month ago so if you don't have archives, read it now.

• Locked thread