Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Enentol posted:

If you're going to be that lazy, just buy a garlic press. At least then it won't taste so much like rear end.

Usually people hate the the peeling just as much as the mincing. For that, there's the "two bowl method" or the old Smash n' Peel

But even a garlic press is not actually a timesaver. This guy here sucks at peeling, but he demonstrates a decent style of smashing and mincing the garlic. I mention this because, again, a lot of people dislike mincing garlic only because they don't like the part where they cut into slippery round bulbs with their hands in danger, two attributes which are unnecessary in the method that that guy demonstrates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Efresh
Oct 21, 2007
Last night I cooked a roast pork loin, boneless and skin on. Now for me, the money on a piece of roasted pork is the crackling but I still haven't nailed it. Last night I scored the skin, rubbed with oil and a bunch of salt, then rolled and tied the loin. It was about a 1.6kg piece.

Put in the preheated oven at max heat, around 250C for 40 minutes when it looked like the skin was crackled up, turned the heat down to 200C and put in the veges. After another 30 minutes I pulled out the pork to rest only to find it was only partially crackling. Plus the meat had just started drying out. So what the crap am I doing wrong here? I want crackling AND moist pork. Any suggestions?

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT ALEISTER CROWLEY AND AHURA MAZDA
^^^^ I was taught two methods for this low and slow with a final blast, or the shower. The shower is a method where you score the meat, then put it in a colander and pour boiling water over the meat to open the skin, pat it dry thoroughly then refrigerate for two hours. The benefit of this is that you can set it in the oven and cook at one temp (50m/kg at 190) and leave the oven to work its magic. The low and slow starts the same as you did, but you cook at 180C for an hour, up it a bit for the second hour, then give it a final blast on max for 15-20 mins to finish it off. In addition, you put a shallow layer of water in the pan to keep the meat from drying out and baste every 30m or so, more if you like, but I hate opening an oven too much.

2508084 posted:

Its holiday season and I'm breaking out my candy making "skills." I grabbed my bottle of Karo Syrup and it says "Best By Oct 29 2011." Is it still good/safe to use? I'm pretty sure "best by" doesn't mean expired, but I wanted to check with more knowledgeable goons that it was good to use. If not, I can pick up some more, but I didn't check the bottle before I went to the grocery store earlier and I'm itchin' to make some peanut brittle :3:

I had this issue last year when I came across 8 bottles of Karo syrup 3 years past their "best by" date in my fiance's cabinet. Not wanting to waste that much baking possibility I called the company. Karo states they have an indefinite shelf life, opened or sealed they an be kept at room temperature without issue, at worst it will yellow a bit with age but it's not harmful. How you stored it has a chance to affect the quality, but if it's just been closed in a cabinet it's absolutely fine. My candy last year came out perfectly fine and this years cashew brittle with the same cache of syrup is annoyingly tasty. Annoying only because it's stocking stuffers and I really need to stop eating it. :D

slavedaeva fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 11, 2011

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Efresh posted:

Last night I cooked a roast pork loin, boneless and skin on. Now for me, the money on a piece of roasted pork is the crackling but I still haven't nailed it. Last night I scored the skin, rubbed with oil and a bunch of salt, then rolled and tied the loin. It was about a 1.6kg piece.

Put in the preheated oven at max heat, around 250C for 40 minutes when it looked like the skin was crackled up, turned the heat down to 200C and put in the veges. After another 30 minutes I pulled out the pork to rest only to find it was only partially crackling. Plus the meat had just started drying out. So what the crap am I doing wrong here? I want crackling AND moist pork. Any suggestions?

You need dry pork skin to get good crackling. If you look at slavedaeva's methods, both dry the skin (the first with towel and fridge, the second air dries it in the oven). I normally dry it with kitchen towel, salt it and leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight. Then rinse it, dry it again and roast it uncovered in hottest oven possible for half an hour, then move it to low. Ever since I began that method, I've never had a crackling failure. Rolling it can also mean that you'll only get crackling on the top, so I'd avoid that.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
Hey guys, I'm doing a birthday dinner for my mom's husband and his family, not too big about 8 people. I'm trying to figure out some sort of an appetizer that's more than a cheese plate and not too heavy, expensive, or too time consuming. I was initially thinking onion tart/pissaladière, but I'd like another option or two (no mushrooms, no shellfish).

Here's the menu:
App - ?
Pureed leek & celery root soup
Pancetta-wrapped pork loin with red wine and fig jam
Roasted fennel
Hasselbeck potatoes with herbed sour cream
Coconut cream pie

Suggestions? No mushrooms, no shellfish.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Well, if you're up to it, make a basic country-style paté a few days in advance; letting it rest will improve the flavours and you can serve slices with a little pickle, lettuce and crusty bread.

Looks impressive as gently caress, but isn't all that difficult. Plus, you can just slice and plate it, so it's easy on the effort on the day.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 11, 2011

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

kiteless posted:

Hey guys, I'm doing a birthday dinner for my mom's husband and his family, not too big about 8 people. I'm trying to figure out some sort of an appetizer that's more than a cheese plate and not too heavy, expensive, or too time consuming. I was initially thinking onion tart/pissaladière, but I'd like another option or two (no mushrooms, no shellfish).

Here's the menu:
App - ?
Pureed leek & celery root soup
Pancetta-wrapped pork loin with red wine and fig jam
Roasted fennel
Hasselbeck potatoes with herbed sour cream
Coconut cream pie

Suggestions? No mushrooms, no shellfish.

Hit up the 'winter fruit' selection -- kumquats, oranges, clementines, quince? I've done duck confit profiteroles with kumquat marmalade as a hors d'ouerve, but that might be too heavy or too small. Also idk if you're doing courses or not, if so then Id put the soup first and anything w meat after.

Hmm Id totally eat something with caramelized onions, stinky cheese, and a nice sour like clemetine jam/jelly/curd or some poo poo, though I dont know when that would fit into the menu.

I think I was pushing a mustard/apple/shaved brussel thing a few weeks ago.. I made one and it was pretty delicious, though that's more of a side and not so much a standalone app.

Yuzu gelee just came into my head but that's incongruous with the rest of the meal.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Turkeybone posted:

Hmm Id totally eat something with caramelized onions, stinky cheese, and a nice sour like clemetine jam/jelly/curd or some poo poo, though I dont know when that would fit into the menu.

I like this, maybe I need to deconstruct the onion tart a bit. I was also thinking of some glazed cippolini onions, but I don't know how to serve that as an appetizer (but maybe I'm overthinking it and just need to serve em with some bread and cheese).

The soup is served out of a tureen into cups so people can drink it while standing around, so the course order doesn't matter so much.

Junior G-man posted:

Well, if you're up to it, make a basic country-style paté a few days in advance; letting it rest will improve the flavours and you can serve slices with a little pickle, lettuce and crusty bread.

Looks impressive as gently caress, but isn't all that difficult. Plus, you can just slice and plate it, so it's easy on the effort on the day.

This is good too. Maybe pate/rilletes with a winter fruit pickle, bread, and caramelized onions. Hmmmm. I like it.

sporkupine
Apr 1, 2009

alea iacta est
I have some frozen chicken livers in the fridge. Besides fried chicken liver and onions, what can I make with them?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

kiteless posted:

I like this, maybe I need to deconstruct the onion tart a bit. I was also thinking of some glazed cippolini onions, but I don't know how to serve that as an appetizer (but maybe I'm overthinking it and just need to serve em with some bread and cheese).

=====[cheese]{fig}(onion)==>

on a skewer sitting in a shallow dish of glaze?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

sporkupine posted:

I have some frozen chicken livers in the fridge. Besides fried chicken liver and onions, what can I make with them?

Skewer and grill em

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
So I was going to make one of these tomorrow, since I have ingredients sitting around. I don't have half and half, but I have a fattier cream - would using that have any discernible effect other than just making for a richer pie?

I ask the stupidest questions :downs:

sporkupine posted:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/chicken-liver-parfait

I make this around christmas time, have for a few years now. Usually is a hit with anyone who tries it, served with fresh bread.

Henry Black fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 12, 2011

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is a clove of garlic a whole head or just one of the little pieces?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Is a clove of garlic a whole head or just one of the little pieces?
Just one!

The whole head is also called a bulb.

That said, no harm in using a few more if it calls for just a clove.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
So what do i do with all the grease from all the bacon? :)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

cereal eater posted:

So what do i do with all the grease from all the bacon? :)

Cornbread!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

zerox147o posted:

Cornbread!
Cornbread is a good use for bacon grease. So's apfel griebenschmalz---rendered pork fat with bits of browned pork (scraps of bacon or salt pork) with diced onion and apple, used as a spread on dark bread.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
Haha I should've made it more clear; I'm a noob, and literally wondering what to do with all this bacon grease. How to store it, what sort of vessel. But I also need some ideas on what to do with it, and those sound delicious, how do I use it for cornbread?

How and when do I use it in general?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

cereal eater posted:

Haha I should've made it more clear; I'm a noob, and literally wondering what to do with all this bacon grease. How to store it, what sort of vessel. But I also need some ideas on what to do with it, and those sound delicious, how do I use it for cornbread?

As long as you let it cool, you can toss it in the fridge or freezer in a tupperware and it'll keep for a good long time. Bacon fat never sticks around in my kitchen longer than two weeks so I don't know how long it'll keep in the fridge, and in the freezer rendered fat keeps basically forever. I would recommend straining it or just waiting until it settles if you see that you're getting little black or meaty bits in your storage container, as that burned flavor is not what you're going for. Whenever you want to use it, just replace any fat source, like butter and / or oil, in a recipe (like a cornbread recipe, or a buttermilk biscuit recipe) with bacon fat that you've melted until it's just warm in the microwave.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

cereal eater posted:

I put it in a mason jar with a lid (or a pickle jar). I agree with the above. Definitely strain it and it never lasts in my house that long. I use it for eggs, mostly.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

So I made peanut brittle out of the momo milk cookbook.. and it's just sugar and blanched peanuts -- what else can I do to make it interesting?

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

Turkeybone posted:

So I made peanut brittle out of the momo milk cookbook.. and it's just sugar and blanched peanuts -- what else can I do to make it interesting?

Think of peanut brittle kind of like peanut butter. Would it taste good in peanut butter? It'll taste awesome encased in sugar! Like serious spice? Try finely chopped habanero! Want just a little bit of wow? Try cocoa nibs. Or just roast the peanuts with a bit of sea salt first to give it a bit more depth. Dried fruits can be awesome as well, but I find sour ones like cranberries work best because of the contrast.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Some questions:

1. My brother is head chef at a seafood restaurant and I'd like to get him an unusual cooking related gift. Last year I got him a book on Morroccan cuisine and some extremely powerful 'mushroom liquor'. Something that has novelty yet still somewhat practical would be ideal.

2. I'm in the market for cheapish (under £100) chef's knife that is easy to handle and maintain. It would see fairly light use as I only cook about 3 times a week. At the moment I'm eying this Wusthof knife: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wusthof-WT4582-16-Cooks-Knife/dp/B001E7WSCQ/ref=pd_sim_kh_3

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

slavedaeva posted:

Think of peanut brittle kind of like peanut butter. Would it taste good in peanut butter? It'll taste awesome encased in sugar! Like serious spice? Try finely chopped habanero! Want just a little bit of wow? Try cocoa nibs. Or just roast the peanuts with a bit of sea salt first to give it a bit more depth. Dried fruits can be awesome as well, but I find sour ones like cranberries work best because of the contrast.

Oh -- yeah thanks. I was totally thinking in terms of the recipe itself; I've seen recipes that are sugar and corn syrup and baking soda, so I guess I don't understand those "mechanics," but I'll totally add some other goodies in there, too.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Some questions:

1. My brother is head chef at a seafood restaurant and I'd like to get him an unusual cooking related gift. Last year I got him a book on Morroccan cuisine and some extremely powerful 'mushroom liquor'. Something that has novelty yet still somewhat practical would be ideal.

2. I'm in the market for cheapish (under £100) chef's knife that is easy to handle and maintain. It would see fairly light use as I only cook about 3 times a week. At the moment I'm eying this Wusthof knife: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wusthof-WT4582-16-Cooks-Knife/dp/B001E7WSCQ/ref=pd_sim_kh_3

If JB Prince ships to whereever your brother is, I'd get a gift certificate. It's not necessarily unusual but it's certainly thoughtful: I would LOVE anyone who got me some cash at JB Prince. Otherwise I'd get him a book about some great seafood place.. le bernardin, maybe marea has a cookbook? idk.

2. For the knife the rule of thumb is generally to go to a store to find something that feels good in your hand, and then either buy it on the internet, or from the store if you're feeling especially nice.

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

Turkeybone posted:

Oh -- yeah thanks. I was totally thinking in terms of the recipe itself; I've seen recipes that are sugar and corn syrup and baking soda, so I guess I don't understand those "mechanics," but I'll totally add some other goodies in there, too.

Wait.. so you mean the recipe is literally just sugar and peanuts?! I assumed you were generalizing the sugar syrup itself as "sugar". (Obviously never read the momo milk cookbook.) This kind of baffles me and sounds like a really boring brittle. Corn syrup should be half that of the total sugar, it controls the texture of the brittle. Too little you get grainy brittle, too much you get stringy sticky brittle. Baking soda aids in browning and makes the brittle itself lighter and crunchier. And 2Tb butter per cup of sugar is an integral part of the flavor of brittle. And of course salt for flavor.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

slavedaeva posted:

Wait.. so you mean the recipe is literally just sugar and peanuts?! I assumed you were generalizing the sugar syrup itself as "sugar". (Obviously never read the momo milk cookbook.) This kind of baffles me and sounds like a really boring brittle. Corn syrup should be half that of the total sugar, it controls the texture of the brittle. Too little you get grainy brittle, too much you get stringy sticky brittle. Baking soda aids in browning and makes the brittle itself lighter and crunchier. And 2Tb butter per cup of sugar is an integral part of the flavor of brittle. And of course salt for flavor.

Yeah -- sorry I should just give all the info at once, heh. The cookbook is momofuku's milk bar cookbook, and their nut brittles are pretty much exclusively ingredients in other more ridiculous dessert preparations, so I guess it wouldn't surprise me that it's plain.

Would you mind telling me a basic recipe that you like to use? It was a good recipe I made from the book, but honestly I'd be happy just making nut brittle :)

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

Turkeybone posted:

Would you mind telling me a basic recipe that you like to use? It was a good recipe I made from the book, but honestly I'd be happy just making nut brittle :)

Your basic brittle is:

1/4c water
1c sugar
1/2c corn syrup
pinch of salt
1c nuts

Bring to boil over medium heat stirring constantly to dissolve all the sugar. Clamp on your thermometer and stir occasionally so the nuts don't scorch on the pan. At hard crack remove from heat, stir in 2Tbsp butter and 1tsp soda (and if I'm using raw peanuts I'll add in 1tsp vanilla as well) and stir 30 seconds just to get it all mixed, pour immediately onto the baking sheet.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Douche Bag posted:

Brace yourselves for some possibly stupid questions!
They're not stupid if you're actually asking them because you're trying to learn! That makes them smart. :)

quote:

What's the best way to give rice and beans more flavor? Is there a sauce that goes well with them? I eat alot of rice and beans but they're getting kinda bland.
Have you considered putting veg in along with the beans and spices? What about flavouring the rice in interesting ways? Barring that, any pot of beans should have onions and garlic, a bit of cumin, thyme, and turmeric, and then a bit of salt and chile for taste. I can get into the specifics if you need me to. :)

quote:

I use a lot of garlic but I loving hate mincing it. Would I be sacrificing much in the way of quality if I used this stuff:
I'm going to get some angry rotten tomatoes flung at me, but it's not the end of the world if you're such a beginner cook that smashing a clove of garlic with the flat of your knife, then running the blade over the smashed bits is too hard, then I'll give you some time to build your cooking skills and allow the horrible jarred minced garlic. I'd sooner you use /some/ garlic than none at all.

That being said, I wish you would just stop and think for a moment about how easy it really is to mince up garlic, once you smash it flat. You don't have to get it down to teensy tiny pieces. Just get it chopped up roughly.

Barring all that, just get a garlic press (I got that one a few months back, and love it to pieces), and move on.

quote:

I'm looking for a good cookbook for beginners. How would this one do?

Jamie Oliver is good people, but you could do with something a bit more comprehensive. Might I suggest James Beard Cookbook? He covers /everything/ in it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

slavedaeva posted:

Your basic brittle is:

1/4c water
1c sugar
1/2c corn syrup
pinch of salt
1c nuts

Bring to boil over medium heat stirring constantly to dissolve all the sugar. Clamp on your thermometer and stir occasionally so the nuts don't scorch on the pan. At hard crack remove from heat, stir in 2Tbsp butter and 1tsp soda (and if I'm using raw peanuts I'll add in 1tsp vanilla as well) and stir 30 seconds just to get it all mixed, pour immediately onto the baking sheet.

I've been seeing all kinds of fun posts about brittle lately, and I think I want to try it. I have a big tub of mixed nuts that are "lightly salted" - it's a pretty good quality mix, not just a million peanuts and a handful of more expensive stuff. If I wanted to use that instead of spending more money on nuts, and omitted the salt from the recipe you gave, do you think it would end up too salty anyway?

I made candy glass again this year, since it's so crazy easy and cheap to make. Everybody loves the stuff. 1:1:3, water : corn syrup : sugar, plus a little food coloring and alcohol-free flavoring added in at the end. Cook it up to hard crack and pour it out in a big pane, then shatter it when it's hardened.

What I really need to do is call my mom and get all my great-grandmother's holiday candy recipes. I made her Turkish delights last year and they were awesome. We always rolled them in chocolate instead of powdered sugar, so they're really decadent.

I don't really like Christmas much, but it does give me the excuse to cook all kinds of wonderful stuff.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

slavedaeva posted:

Your basic brittle is:

1/4c water
1c sugar
1/2c corn syrup
pinch of salt
1c nuts

My recipe varies slightly and I get yelled at if I don't make brittle this time of year.

2C sugar
1C corn syrup
1/4C water
2T butter
1t vanilla
2t baking soda
1.5C peanuts

Cook first 3 ingredients over medium until sugar dissolves. Heat to 285*. Remove from heat, throw in everything else, stir quickly, pour onto well-buttered cookie sheet and let it sit until its hard.

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

^^^ Brittle is nice in being quite flexible in portions. The key really is just to remember half the syrup as sugar, and it just doesn't taste right without butter.

RazorBunny posted:

I've been seeing all kinds of fun posts about brittle lately, and I think I want to try it. I have a big tub of mixed nuts that are "lightly salted" - it's a pretty good quality mix, not just a million peanuts and a handful of more expensive stuff. If I wanted to use that instead of spending more money on nuts, and omitted the salt from the recipe you gave, do you think it would end up too salty anyway?

There are a couple ways to do this. I put my nuts in for the cook process because I like using raw nuts, so this both cooks the nuts and passes the flavor to the sugar. However, if I'm using roasted nuts they go in at the end with the butter and soda. For a mix they're usually not raw, so your best bet is to throw them in at the end. This also minimizes the amount of salt that will cook into the sugar. If they are seriously salted (lightly salted always seems like a lie to me), you can rinse them off and pat them dry to remove a bit of the salt. Again adding them right at the end.

The fun of brittle is that there really are very few rules as far as what can go into the brittle. If you are worried about the salt on the nuts you can also kick them up a bit, toss them in a bag with some cumin and give them a really good shake, get them nice and coated. Add them at the end. It helps cut the salt flavor and adds a nice spice to the brittle that compliments the buttery sweet.

llbdtiberio
Mar 27, 2010
Quick question about marinating chicken breasts.
Have a date coming over friday and I've promised to cook her dinner.
Obviously I'm going to try and cook something so delicious she cannot help but instantly fall in love with me, was thinking of marinating some chicken breasts and having them with pasta and some sort of sauce.
My friend suggested I chuck the chicken in a bag with lemon juice, lime juice, some garlic and thyme/rosemary for a marinade but anyone got some better ideas?
I won't have the time to spend hours in the kitchen as I work 2 jobs so anything that can be prepared beforehand is awesome.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

llbdtiberio posted:

Boneless tasteless chicken breast

Try making this chicken marsala instead, it is probably the most delicious way to cook that part of a chicken and it is also pretty easy to do: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3443725

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Ended up cooking a mighty fine pork chop. Got them thick cut, good sear, finished in oven. Had a meat thermometer that was wonky. Put it in, 130. Put it in a few minutes later 180. Freaked out and took the pork out and it was cooked almost just right. Assume maybe I had it in too deep and too close to pan. Came out fine, if maybe right on medium. Def not over cooked.

Little cinnamon, fennel, sesame oil. Was good. Steamed some snap beans, slow roasted some squash, home made tomato paste and put that in some sticky rice.

Dinner was great and so was dessert ;)

taint massage
Jun 13, 2008

We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
Quick question. I want to cook up some chicken thighs and legs in a skillet and start it on the stove to get some crispy skin then transfer the skillet to the oven to finish them off.

What temp should I heat the oven to?

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Is this a decent macaron recipe? Never made them before and have a few filling ideas, just need a recipe for the cookie part. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2007/10/how-to-make-macarons-recipe.html

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding diabetic cookbooks, preferably ones geared toward inexperienced cooks on a budget? Basically looking for easy, tasty low-carb recipes to supplement or replace a diet of cold-cuts, peanut butter and Habitant canned soups.

I poked around in the cookbooks thread, but that seemed a much moer technical discussion than what I was really looking for.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

dms666 posted:

Is this a decent macaron recipe? Never made them before and have a few filling ideas, just need a recipe for the cookie part. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2007/10/how-to-make-macarons-recipe.html

Dunno, but here's the recipe me and Kathandrion used successfully for comparison:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437879&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post397441951

edit: I would guess that although they have different ratios, either one will probably work fine

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Efresh
Oct 21, 2007

Cavenagh posted:

You need dry pork skin to get good crackling. If you look at slavedaeva's methods, both dry the skin (the first with towel and fridge, the second air dries it in the oven). I normally dry it with kitchen towel, salt it and leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight. Then rinse it, dry it again and roast it uncovered in hottest oven possible for half an hour, then move it to low. Ever since I began that method, I've never had a crackling failure. Rolling it can also mean that you'll only get crackling on the top, so I'd avoid that.

So neither you nor slavedaela use oil on the skin? Just salt and keep it dry?