Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

ChadSexington posted:

For the DC area Sprint users, how do you like your service?

It's Ok. 3g is fast enough for pandora etc while driving but can be very sluggish when right downtown. Voice is always ok. 4g is sometimes fantastic but usually does not work (just like everywhere else?)

I've had it here for 4 years and never been irritated enough to switch to Verizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
I like the fact that my phone number is integrated with google voice and I like being able to text from my computer if my phone isn't right next to me, but the google voice app totally sucks (on android and on iphone). Is there a way to use the default texting app on iOS (for both outgoing and incoming) and just have google voice silently archive everything in the background? Right now i can send from the default app, but any incoming texts get caught by google voice...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

helsabot posted:

I like the fact that my phone number is integrated with google voice and I like being able to text from my computer if my phone isn't right next to me, but the google voice app totally sucks (on android and on iphone). Is there a way to use the default texting app on iOS (for both outgoing and incoming) and just have google voice silently archive everything in the background? Right now i can send from the default app, but any incoming texts get caught by google voice...

There should be an option to receive texts on both, and then you just disable the notification from GV.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Speaking of Google Voice, has anyone ever had issues with certain settings changing by themselves? I only use GV for the visual voicemail (and text logs) so I have all the other features off. But once in a while it'll screen a call or something which it should not do. What is going on here? It's kind of annoying.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
My wife has an LG Optimus S that I'm looking to upgrade for her for Xmas. The Evo 4g and Nexus S are ~$200 on craigslist now so that's the route I'm looking to take.

I had heard that the Nexus had issues with phone reception when it came out, I'm curious if those issues are resolved and if that's the better phone. I'm leaning towards it because it's slightly smaller and she may be shocked going from the Optimus to Evo 4g. Thoughts?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

falz posted:

My wife has an LG Optimus S that I'm looking to upgrade for her for Xmas. The Evo 4g and Nexus S are ~$200 on craigslist now so that's the route I'm looking to take.

I had heard that the Nexus had issues with phone reception when it came out, I'm curious if those issues are resolved and if that's the better phone. I'm leaning towards it because it's slightly smaller and she may be shocked going from the Optimus to Evo 4g. Thoughts?

I believe the Nexus got an update to fix any radio issues. If those are your two choices I'd go with the Nexus, mainly for ICS. This from someone who bought an EVO 4G and EVO 3D on their launch days and has been very happy with both.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.
My fiancee and I are on separate data plans right now. I'm with Sprint, she's with Verizon. Verizon coverage is probably slightly better here, but it's not a dealbreaker either way. We both currently have dumbphones and are looking to upgrade to smartphones, me an android of some variety (was thinking Galaxy Nexus if with verizon, dunno with sprint) and her an iPhone4S.

She called varizon and talked to them, and basically the deal they came down with was 700 anytime minutes (we use probably 200/month between us), 100 texts a month, and 2GB of data each phone for ~$150. (Not counting phone insurance for me or taxes) I called Sprint and was offered 1400 anytime minutes, unlimited text and data for $129.99 a month. I was thinking this was a good deal until they mentioned each phone had a $10 surcharge per month, making it cost the same as the Verizon plan before phone insurance for me and taxes.

I expected sprint to be cheaper, somehow. My question is: I've been with sprint for like 10 years, always pay my bill on time, and when I log into my account it says I'm a Sprint Premier Gold customer. (does this even mean anything?) I know way back they would send you to "retention" if you were going to leave. Are they going to offer me some great plan when I call them to actually cancel that will make me regret going with verizon, or are the days of a "retention" department having great deals done? Bearing in mind that the current offering is way more minutes than we'd actually use and both her an I will spend ~75% of our time within Wifi coverage (either home or at school) and so more minutes isn't better, only a cheaper plan would be better.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

frood posted:

My fiancee and I are on separate data plans right now.
On the Verizon side you can dump the text costs by using Google Voice for texts. For their lowest-minute family plan you're looking at $70/mo base + $30 x 2 for 2 GB smartphone data. If you get 4G LTE devices they might even still be running the 4 GB for $30/mo promo. So you're looking at $130/mo pre-tax.

As for Sprint, being a ten year customer does put you in a somewhat special category. There's been a shakeup recently with the whole premier thing, but I think since you're a ten-year veteran you (that is, the primary line on a family plan) quality for full-subsidy phone upgrades every year, not just every two years. Do either of you work a company that has a Sprint corporate discount? If so, and it's 15%+ you're in the neighborhood of getting the best deal with Sprint you can that way.

If neither of you quality for a 15%+ Sprint corporate discount, you might be best going with Sprint EPRP. A two-line family plan is 1600 minutes for $110/mo, plus $10/mo extra on each smartphone line, bringing it to $130/mo, the same price as Verizon. That gives you both unlimited data and unlimited texts, which does have some convenience over the Google Voice texting alternative as you don't have to give out multiple numbers to take advantage of free any-mobile calling and "free" texts.

Note that you can't switch to EPRP since you're an existing customer. Your fiancée would have to sign up for EPRP in her name (specifically SSN) and port her number from Verzion. Meanwhile, if you want to keep your existing number, you have to port it to some other "carrier" temporarily (Google Voice is probably the most convenient), then once she gets the EPRP family plan going you can port your number back in. In this case you'll lose your ten-year veteran standing with Sprint and will only qualify for full-subsidy upgrades every two years, like everyone else. That said, with the shakeups that Sprint has done with premier over the past year, who knows how much longer that benefit will stick around.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 10, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

On the Verizon side you can dump the text costs by using Google Voice for texts. For their lowest-minute family plan you're looking at $70/mo base + $30 x 2 for 2 GB smartphone data. If you get 4G LTE devices they might even still be running the 4 GB for $30/mo promo. So you're looking at $130/mo pre-tax.

As for Sprint, being a ten year customer does put you in a somewhat special category. There's been a shakeup recently with the whole premier thing, but I think since you're a ten-year veteran you (that is, the primary line on a family plan) quality for full-subsidy phone upgrades every year, not just every two years. Do either of you work a company that has a Sprint corporate discount? If so, and it's 15%+ you're in the neighborhood of getting the best deal with Sprint you can that way.

If neither of you quality for a 15%+ Sprint corporate discount, you might be best going with Sprint EPRP. A two-line family plan is 1600 minutes for $110/mo, plus $10/mo extra on each smartphone line, bringing it to $130/mo, the same price as Verizon. That gives you both unlimited data and unlimited texts, which does have some convenience over the Google Voice texting alternative as you don't have to give out multiple numbers to take advantage of free any-mobile calling and "free" texts.

Note that you can't switch to EPRP since you're an existing customer. Your fiancée would have to sign up for EPRP in her name (specifically SSN) and port her number from Verzion. Meanwhile, if you want to keep your existing number, you have to port it to some other "carrier" temporarily (Google Voice is probably the most convenient), then once she gets the EPRP family plan going you can port your number back in. In this case you'll lose your ten-year veteran standing with Sprint and will only qualify for full-subsidy upgrades every two years, like everyone else. That said, with the shakeups that Sprint has done with premier over the past year, who knows how much longer that benefit will stick around.

For once Mr blarg is incorrect. No worries, this rarely happens :)

Yearly upgrades on sprint are comoketely gone. You may have one left, bit otherwise they are completely kaput.

Sprint is not meant to be "cheaper," sprint is meant to package in everything at a lower rate, better value. One straight forward plan with unlimited data, text messaging and calling (anymobile anytime).

For normal people a lot of times sprint does come our ahead because Verizon charges $30 for texting on a family plan and $30 a line for data. However, goons are not always normal, especially call ratio wise. If you don't use the phone for phone calls, that evens it out a bit there. Using Google voice for texting evens it out (and in your case is recommended). So yeah, this case scenario Verizon comes out on top because you don't need all the features sprint packages in.

I don't recommend eprp, because you would lose years of customer standing. Even without any "benefits," carriers in general flex more for problems if its a long term customer. So either your account on sprint or hers on Verizon if possible. And given that you can get a discount via work of some sort sprint normal plans can usually be lowered to eprp ish rates anyway.

Discounts: possibly irrelevant in choosig the carrier, because both sprint and Verizon are good at offering them. One of you qualifies for a discount through work, and if not go get a AAA card.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Only 1.5 years till i'm eligible for a rebate so I can get the iPhone. Can't wait!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ChocNitty posted:

Only 1.5 years till i'm eligible for a rebate so I can get the iPhone. Can't wait!

Sell your EVO 3D (I sure hope this is what you bought within the last six months (though even better if it's the SGSIIE4GT)) for $200 on Craigslist, purchase iPhone on eBay for $500. You end up paying $100 more than you would with a 2-year discount on Sprint, but you get the iPhone now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Btw, recently Sprint retention has been willing to let people upgrade early if you buy out your contract. IE, if your eligibility isn't until April and the ETF is $50, you just pay $50 and you are fully eligible. Not sure if there is a threshold where they won't do it (as in, you upgraded too recently).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Btw, recently Sprint retention has been willing to let people upgrade early if you buy out your contract. IE, if your eligibility isn't until April and the ETF is $50, you just pay $50 and you are fully eligible. Not sure if there is a threshold where they won't do it (as in, you upgraded too recently).

My wife's upgrade is in April. How would I go about doing that? Is it a policy or do you have to hope you get the right person on the phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My wife's upgrade is in April. How would I go about doing that? Is it a policy or do you have to hope you get the right person on the phone?

Call retentions and tell them you want to buy out your contract so you can upgrade that line. Should s pretty straight forward. They weren't doing it for a while, but seem to be allowing it again.

Nothing drives me crazier than when I take the time to do all that research for a customer so they can get the iphone before Christmas, and then they just react "$50, oh I won't pay that I have been with sprint 10 years, and I'll cancel and go to verizon. " Drives me absolutely crazy.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Duckman2008 posted:

Call retentions and tell them you want to buy out your contract so you can upgrade that line. Should s pretty straight forward. They weren't doing it for a while, but seem to be allowing it again.

Nothing drives me crazier than when I take the time to do all that research for a customer so they can get the iphone before Christmas, and then they just react "$50, oh I won't pay that I have been with sprint 10 years, and I'll cancel and go to verizon. " Drives me absolutely crazy.

Just inform them of how much that service costs.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Duckman2008 posted:

When I got my iPhone they totally did not allow that, they said that policy is dead, I even talked to a retentions supervisor. Maybe they changed it back I guess, if so gently caress, mine was less than $50 at the time.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I've got a SERO account with android and all that jazz that I end up paying around $55 for after taxes.

Can I add my fiance on to my account as an iPhone EPRP? Assuming I can't get another SERO that would be the best thing to do, right?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
I have an Epic 4G and 280 days left till upgrade... what can I do?

Although to be fair, I do in general like my phone with custom ROM's... I just want something with maybe a bigger screen and more memory.

Eyecannon fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 11, 2011

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Does the Epic Touch have a multi-colored LED or is it only blue? I couldn't seem to find an answer on Google.

Pet Stain
Dec 29, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does the Epic Touch have a multi-colored LED or is it only blue? I couldn't seem to find an answer on Google.

The notification led i've seen be both blue and red

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I believe the Nexus got an update to fix any radio issues. If those are your two choices I'd go with the Nexus, mainly for ICS. This from someone who bought an EVO 4G and EVO 3D on their launch days and has been very happy with both.
Thanks. I had a harder time than I thought acquiring a Nexus S on local craigslist, I was able to find a decent price on an Evo 4g in SA-Mart so I went that direction. I would think that the Evo 4g would be one of the phones to have a functional CM9 anyway, and if not meh, it's just my wife's phone.

Unrelated. My Evo Shift has not been able to send/recieve MMS for many months. I've flashed from CM7 back to its Stock 2.2, same issue. Last week I stopped being able to hear calls. I went to the sprint store and they're sending me a refurb this week. Should I flash it all back to stock/unrooted or does it not really matter? I didn't find an actuall .exe RUU download on HTC's site, also I would have to seek out a machine that runs Windows to do so if such .exe does exist.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Eyecannon posted:

I have an Epic 4G and 280 days left till upgrade... what can I do?
Pay the prorated ETF to reset your upgrade eligibility, ~$90 or so, then pick up an E4GT for $200. That's ~$300 and locks you into two years. Alternatively pick up a used E4GT for $360-400 on eBay and maintain your (future) upgrade eligibility.

Personally I'd stick with the Epic for a little longer if you can. The bigger screen and memory is about the only advantage of the E4GT at the moment. They both still run Gingerbread, with an unknown timeline for an official ICS update for the E4GT, and they both are 4G WiMAX devices.

Mind you Sprint is making a bunch of network improvements in the next couple years, such a ESMR band CDMA EVDO rev B and LTE deployment. Probably around the time you're upgrade eligible again we'll have desirable Sprint LTE devices, at which point being stuck on an E4GT might be less desirable.

That is, unless you plan to upgrade again in a year's time.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

falz posted:

Thanks. I had a harder time than I thought acquiring a Nexus S on local craigslist, I was able to find a decent price on an Evo 4g in SA-Mart so I went that direction. I would think that the Evo 4g would be one of the phones to have a functional CM9 anyway, and if not meh, it's just my wife's phone.

Unrelated. My Evo Shift has not been able to send/recieve MMS for many months. I've flashed from CM7 back to its Stock 2.2, same issue. Last week I stopped being able to hear calls. I went to the sprint store and they're sending me a refurb this week. Should I flash it all back to stock/unrooted or does it not really matter? I didn't find an actuall .exe RUU download on HTC's site, also I would have to seek out a machine that runs Windows to do so if such .exe does exist.

No problem. I'm assuming the EVO 4G will get CM9 eventually, but I can practically guarantee the Nexus S 4G will get it first. But the EVO 4G is a great phone and if ICS isn't a priority then you can't go wrong with either.

StuntDouble
May 31, 2009
I've been on basic SERO for the last 3 years and I'm finally ready to upgrade this horrible free dumbphone. I want to upgrade to the $40 a month plan--what's the best phone available in that price bracket? I mostly use my phone for texting and occasional web browsing.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Krime posted:

I've got a SERO account with android and all that jazz that I end up paying around $55 for after taxes.

Can I add my fiance on to my account as an iPhone EPRP? Assuming I can't get another SERO that would be the best thing to do, right?
You can add an EPRP line to your account, no problem. EPRP is only equivalent to a 16.67% discount though, and prevents you from taking advantage of awesome deals at third party stores like Radio Shack and AmazonWireless. So maybe check around to see if you can't get a better discount through your employer or something.

StuntDouble posted:

I've been on basic SERO for the last 3 years and I'm finally ready to upgrade this horrible free dumbphone. I want to upgrade to the $40 a month plan--what's the best phone available in that price bracket? I mostly use my phone for texting and occasional web browsing.
The LG Marquee has the best specs, but is currently showing as Sold Out on Sprint.com. There's also the Windows Phone 7 HTC Arrive if you want a keyboard and nice screen. And the Motorola vertical keyboard "blackberry form factor" phones if you don't care about having a nice big screen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kynetx posted:

Just inform them of how much that service costs.

Ha, some people just won't listen. No big deal, but it happens.

StuntDouble posted:

Lg marquee all the way. Arrive if you want windows phone.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have an Arrive and like it so far. I've only had it 3 days though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Krime posted:

You'd have to upgrade the plan on your account to EPRP first, then add her as a second line. Or you could see about finding her another SERO account on eBay.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Nah, he can keep a SERO line and just add an EPRP line to the account. He doesn't have to lose his awesome plan.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
Is there any way other than calling Sprint to figure out my buyout for my contract? I have an Optimus S and am having some significant issues with it (random rebooting, turning itself off, major intermittent performance problems) and want to get a new phone, but the full cost of a phone I would want is just too high.

My next upgrade isn't until January 1, 2013 :[

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I am transferring from T-mobile to Sprint and I did it via online. I put it in a transfer for my old number - will Sprint cancel my T-mobile account?

I know AT&T cancels the service for you but what about Sprint?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

They all work that way. Porting your number from Carrier A to Carrier B cancels your Carrier A account effective immediately and your final bill from them is prorated (only for the days used in that billing cycle). Doesn't matter who's who.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mistikman posted:

Is there any way other than calling Sprint to figure out my buyout for my contract? I have an Optimus S and am having some significant issues with it (random rebooting, turning itself off, major intermittent performance problems) and want to get a new phone, but the full cost of a phone I would want is just too high.

Buy a nexus s or evo used off craigslist. And a call to sprint takes two minutes to figure out what your buyout is, so not sure why you wouldn't check. Yours would be high though, I would just buy a used nexus.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm going to be out of the country for 2-3 months next year so I'll be placing my account on hold.

How does that affect upgrade and contract terms? Is it safe to assume that it will pick back up where I left it off, meaning current contract and upgrade eligibility will be pushed back 2-3 months.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 12, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aredna posted:

I'm going to be out of the country for 2-3 months next year so I'll be placing my account on hold.

How does that affect upgrade and contract terms? Is it safe to assume that it will pick back up where I left it off, meaning current contract and upgrade eligibility will be pushed back 2-3 months.

Yep, seasonal standby is $8 a month per line, and time in seasonal standby does not count against your contract.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Mistikman posted:

If your upgrade is 13 months away, isn't your phone likely still under warranty?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I have and Evo 3D. I sometimes experience an issue where the screen stops responding until I lock/unlock the device. Recently, while playing some games, I notice the real cause is that a spot in the middle of the screen registers a touch and that's what's causing this to happen.

I'm assuming this is a hardware issue, since it's not dependent on what app I'm in. What are my options here? Bring it to the service center and try to convince them I'm not crazy?

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 12, 2011

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I know it's stupid of me to complain about something like this, but I paid my bill yesterday and was marvelling at how much I shell out to this company. I have 5 smartphones between my. Wife and I, my son and my wife's parents. All but my son on his HTC Hero (I am a terrible father) require the $10.00 smartphone tax, most of the phones have full insurance and mine and my dad-in-law's have the Sprint Hotspot. Even with a slightly shady discount given to me by one of the corporate store sales reps, my phone bill is around $320.00 per month.

I guess what irritates me is that out of the 1500 minutes I'm paying for, only 111 were used, far less than 10%. Really, these are data consumption devices. I had the highest total cellular data consumption of 3.9 GB since most of my automated downloading occurs at night on my wifi. In the end, I paid for about 10 gigs of cellular data and a fairly trivial amount of absolute poo poo voice quality phone calls and a couple hundred SMS transmissions which are entirely free and always have been for the carrier.

The really depressing thing is that I won't be able to get a better deal anywhere else. For the first time in 10+ years of owning a personal cell phoone I'm really starting to feel ripped off. Despite these ridiculous fees, Sprint hasn't made a decent profit (or a profit at all, not sure) in years. What am I missing?

Sorry about the text wall of bitching. I feel better now, thank you.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Kynetx posted:

I know it's stupid of me to complain about something like this, but I paid my bill yesterday and was marvelling at how much I shell out to this company. I have 5 smartphones between my. Wife and I, my son and my wife's parents. All but my son on his HTC Hero (I am a terrible father) require the $10.00 smartphone tax, most of the phones have full insurance and mine and my dad-in-law's have the Sprint Hotspot. Even with a slightly shady discount given to me by one of the corporate store sales reps, my phone bill is around $320.00 per month.

I guess what irritates me is that out of the 1500 minutes I'm paying for, only 111 were used, far less than 10%. Really, these are data consumption devices. I had the highest total cellular data consumption of 3.9 GB since most of my automated downloading occurs at night on my wifi. In the end, I paid for about 10 gigs of cellular data and a fairly trivial amount of absolute poo poo voice quality phone calls and a couple hundred SMS transmissions which are entirely free and always have been for the carrier.

The really depressing thing is that I won't be able to get a better deal anywhere else. For the first time in 10+ years of owning a personal cell phoone I'm really starting to feel ripped off. Despite these ridiculous fees, Sprint hasn't made a decent profit (or a profit at all, not sure) in years. What am I missing?

Sorry about the text wall of bitching. I feel better now, thank you.

Sprint EPRP family is a better deal, I know you can't switch without a lot of work, but for anyone else it's a hell of a deal for 5 phones. My bill is about $250/month for 5 phones, all with the $10 fee. If you have trustworthy friends or family, this is a great plan for heavy data users, assuming your Sprint service is decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kynetx posted:

I know it's stupid of me to complain about something like this, but I paid my bill yesterday and was marvelling at how much I shell out to this company.
It's only stupid to complain about as long as you're still paying it.

Seriously, switch to a T-Mobile value plan. Five lines with 1000 minutes, unlimited text and 2 GB/mo data is $125/mo. Buy used Nexus Ses, MT4Gs, MT4G slides, G2s, whatever. Also, unless you have a history of filing claims, drop the insurance. When a phone dies, just pick up a new (used) phone.