Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I've been considering on getting chins or yet another pile of gerbils for a while now. However, these days I got a white noise generator because I sleep a lot better with one. Does anyone here know if chins or gerbils get psychotic and/or murderous from having one of those on during nights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Fewd posted:

I've been considering on getting chins or yet another pile of gerbils for a while now. However, these days I got a white noise generator because I sleep a lot better with one. Does anyone here know if chins or gerbils get psychotic and/or murderous from having one of those on during nights?

Not specific experience with that, but in ten years of owning Chinchillas they seem to pretty much be awake whenever someone is around and interacting with them and sleeping any other time, day or night. If you are concerned, is it possible to put their cage in a different room?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

furushotakeru posted:

Not specific experience with that, but in ten years of owning Chinchillas they seem to pretty much be awake whenever someone is around and interacting with them and sleeping any other time, day or night. If you are concerned, is it possible to put their cage in a different room?

Yea, that'd be best but I live in a small apartment so can't really put it elsewhere.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

Hi there!

Hey! I have a couple suggestions for controlling temperature since I live in a desert. Fleece is something you'll want to use in the cage for things like hammocks and hidey places and stuff. You can also make a fleece pouch to put a water bottle in. Fill the bottle up with water and freeze it, then stick it in a fleece pouch so they can lay next to it.

Something you can find at pet stores is a little granite(?) slab called a "chinchiller" and you can put it in the fridge for a bit and back into the cage. Just don't put it on a really high ledge because chins are assholes and will push it off.

The best cage that most chin owners recommend is a Ferret Nation or Critter Nation. You can stack one or two levels and fill it with custom ledges and hammocks and random stuff.

Since I can't afford a ferret nation I went ahead and modified the cage one of my chins came with. It wasn't appropriate at all and had wire shelves and a wire bottom. I removed the bottom grate, and the shelves and added my own wooden ones.

This is what the cage looked like before. Definitely a terrible cage for chins.

And this is after some really cheap modifications. (that plastic food bowl is gone now)

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

I use Quality Cage Company's cages for my Chins. Ignore their stupid "package deals" and just look to the cages themselves, unless you want the other stuff of course. Their Chinchilla Condo (~$135) is more than large enough to comfortably house a pair of chinchillas, and is what I keep my current pair in along with a Chin Spin wheel and a nice wood box.

You can find cheaper cages at the pet store but they won't last, trust me. Quality Cages are all metal with easily replaceable wood ledges. I have had mine for more than 5 years and I am confident that it will last as long as my Chins do.

Their "Townhome" and "Mansion" cages are the same dimensions at the base and just add additional height.

They also were kind enough to provide ramps for me when I had a disabled chin years ago who could not jump up on the ledges.

You want to avoid plastic in your Chin cages if you can as the critters will chew them up over time. This makes a big mess and I can't imagine it is good for them.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

How do people here pick up their pigs?

Mine freak out if you touch the soles of their hind feet. Cupping the rump with one hand (leaving the hind legs free) while the other supports the chest and front feet seems to work best.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

cat with hands posted:

How do people here pick up their pigs?

Mine freak out if you touch the soles of their hind feet. Cupping the rump with one hand (leaving the hind legs free) while the other supports the chest and front feet seems to work best.

Haha, well, for me and my girlfriend's second pig (an all-black mama we named Pepper), we pick her up after chasing her around her pen for 2 straight minutes as she ducks and dodges us every chance she gets.

For our fatter pig who looks like a skunk, Penelope, she's not quite as quick -- so we just usually cup the rump and quickly lift by the belly/chest and quickly give them a surface to feel safer on.

I am also known to trick the pigs by getting them to climb into their bed, and picking the bed up while they're in it. Thankfully, they haven't caught on yet.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

railroad terror posted:

I am also known to trick the pigs by getting them to climb into their bed, and picking the bed up while they're in it. Thankfully, they haven't caught on yet.

This move is called the pig elevator in my household.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

This thread has been a source of EXCELLENT advice combined with the Guinea Lynx website. I credit this thread answering many of my questions with the reason my piggies being happy and me not freaking out when they acted in ways I did not understand.

I have a pair of adult female guinea pigs who are happy and healthy and have no problems I can see. They get along great with each other. As I understand it, one is unusually human-friendly for a guinea pig and rumbles when anyone picks her up, the other one is pretty normal. Neither has had any health or weight issues.

I have been thinking of adopting a young cat from a local shelter. I have wanted to get a cat for a long time. When I first got my piggies I got them because my living arrangement would not let me get a cat, but that has changed.

My #1 priority is to make sure I don't endanger my piggies. I have read lots of horror stories, but I have also read tips on owning both safely. I'd like input from the thread also, can it be done safely?

My home is not that big. I keep my guinea pig enclosure in the same room as my computer desk/kitchen table, so I am within 15 feet of them almost whenever I am home. Half of my home is divided by one door, so it is easy to isolate a cat from the rest of my home whenever I am not present. I would get softpaws for the cat to prevent it from clawing at my piggies or anything else and keep them trimmed, nothing I can do about their teeth though.

Could I get some input on how practicable it really is?

Have any posters from thread owned both without problems?

Are the stories about owning both being a catastrophe waiting to happen exaggerated, to discourage irresponsible activities?

Are the stories about owning both without problems simply stories people shared BEFORE the accident happened?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 25, 2011

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Pigs and a cat is definitely possible -- I've seen too many pictures of a cat and a pig curled up asleep together in the cage to think otherwise. Having said that, though, I've never done it, so I can't really offer much in the way of guidance to make it happen. I do imagine that the younger the cat is, the easier a time you'll have getting it to accept your pigs as family members and not entrees, though.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
We have 2 cats along with our 2 pigs. The older cat, Franny, is simply curious about the pigs (we keep them in a separate room with the door closed unless we're around). The younger cat, Charlie, who is also the resident King of the Castle, will jump into the pig pens every chance he gets. Although now, he seems to not be interested in batting them with his paw, but literally sprawling out on top of the pen, or on a blanket -- we think it's because it's the one part of the apartment where he hasn't marked his territory yet, so it's his way of saying "WHAT UP, THIS IS MY HOUSE."

beekeepersdaughter
Jan 9, 2010
This should probably go in the Post your Pet thread, but I posted here about Chester a few months ago, so I thought I'd show you guys this.

My roommates and I all went home for Thanksgiving, so Chester is staying with his uncles down the street for a week. The guys sent us these pictures last night:

Chester receives his pool cue

Rack 'em up, Chester.

Attaboy

Getting out of the way

Staring down the enemy.

Sweet, sweet victory.

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

I have a bit of an issue with the way my biggest guinea pig drinks his water. It tends to drip onto the bedding every time. I know I shouldn't let things stay this way, but the problem isn't the bottle itself so the only solution I can think of is to put a dish under the bottle to catch anything. Could I do anything more permanent?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

beekeepersdaughter posted:

Sweet, sweet victory.

This is totally adorable. :3:

Skittle Wood posted:

the only solution I can think of is to put a dish under the bottle to catch anything

This is what I do, there's really nothing you'll be able to do to get them to stop dripping half the water out of the bottle. I've had pigs that like to just sit there and whack at the water bottle, spilling out as much as they possibly can. I have a small ceramic food bowl that I put under the water bottle, and I empty it once a day the same time I add more water to the bottle. Works great.

Edit: Like so

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 27, 2011

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

Another thing: I'm about to add on another Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat onto the one I already have. It will have a ramp between the two like in this photo (though without another divider on the second).

What I want to be sure of is that even with the ramp separating the two parts, it qualifies as adequate space for three pigs (each one is 8 sq ft). I wanna make sure they're getting their exercise, especially my oldest one; he's fat and sassy.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
8' times 3? That should be more than adequate. Your biggest problem will be that an older pig may not like using the ramp and will stay in one area - you'll need to watch for that and be sure he has full access to food and water there.

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

He's actually not that old, something like 6-8 months and I've seen him go up ramps. I'm thinking right now I'd rather just combine the two cages into one big 16 sq ft 47x48 beast so they all have wide space to run around. I'm throwing a couple tunnels and grass balls in and the last thing I'd want is for things to get cramped.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Skittle Wood posted:

Another thing: I'm about to add on another Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat onto the one I already have. It will have a ramp between the two like in this photo (though without another divider on the second).

What I want to be sure of is that even with the ramp separating the two parts, it qualifies as adequate space for three pigs (each one is 8 sq ft). I wanna make sure they're getting their exercise, especially my oldest one; he's fat and sassy.

Yeah, the only problem with ramps and the like is that they serve as obstacles for pigs running around; pigs like a fair amount of open space for the odd morning when they decide to run some laps. If you can combine them into one cage without the blockage somehow that would probably be best; otherwise I'd say leave one of them as empty as possible for exercise space and put the pigloos and such in the other one. (You can put toys or tunnels in the middle of the cage, but leave the outer edge as clear as possible to make a sort of track.)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Edit: Like so

This picture reminds me of my little pig Louis that passed away a while back. He used to do the same thing with his leg (all stretched out). Its just their relaxed, chillin, :whatup: pose.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

Awesome Kristin posted:

Temps and cages!

This is what we have her in now (and dang are Ferret Nation's expensive. I thought about a Quality Cage but I think we're going to save that for when she's bigger.)

The little house on the bottom is above a marble slab in case she gets too hot. She loves her tube though.

The shelves are completely metal (thank god!)

I have another shelf on order + a whole bunch of fleece and toys. Baby chinchillas can't have enough toys :)

Here's a gratuitous picture!

We bought an air conditioner. As soon as the outside temp gets back above 60 that baby is getting fired on. She seems pretty comfortable now with the house in between 63-70.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Going to the vet, my hamster has a spherical hard mass in his gut, and looks like he has trouble passing urine or feces last 24 hours. Imma load him up on veggies and hope its just constipation instead of something bad.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

This is what we have her in now (and dang are Ferret Nation's expensive. I thought about a Quality Cage but I think we're going to save that for when she's bigger.)

The little house on the bottom is above a marble slab in case she gets too hot. She loves her tube though.

The shelves are completely metal (thank god!)

I have another shelf on order + a whole bunch of fleece and toys. Baby chinchillas can't have enough toys :)

Here's a gratuitous picture!

We bought an air conditioner. As soon as the outside temp gets back above 60 that baby is getting fired on. She seems pretty comfortable now with the house in between 63-70.

Cute chinnie! Thanks for sharing.

Rule of thumb is to keep them below 80 degrees so you are doing just fine!

Want to mention that I am the Treasurer of California Chins, the rescue for most of the San Francisco Bay Area and Silicon Valley areas. When any of the local shelters get a chin in, they call us. If anyone in the area wants a chin please consider adopting instead of buying. We generally have 20-30 available for adoption at any given time and can find one to get along with just about anyone! We also have a large stockpile of food, cages, toys, and other supplies for those who need them.

/plug

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

furushotakeru posted:

Cute chinnie! Thanks for sharing.

Rule of thumb is to keep them below 80 degrees so you are doing just fine!

Want to mention that I am the Treasurer of California Chins, the rescue for most of the San Francisco Bay Area and Silicon Valley areas. When any of the local shelters get a chin in, they call us. If anyone in the area wants a chin please consider adopting instead of buying. We generally have 20-30 available for adoption at any given time and can find one to get along with just about anyone! We also have a large stockpile of food, cages, toys, and other supplies for those who need them.

/plug

Are you on chins-n-hedgies?

And oh man, once Vincenza gets settled in a little more we're going to try and find her a new friend.

I wish I lived in California!

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
SO I had to euth my dwarf hamster today, it seems he had a urinary blockage that came about pretty quick in the last 3-4 days. The vet tried clearing the obstruction and drained his bladder and tried backwashing out whatever was blocking it, but nothing worked. I had thought about taking him home for the night then having him euthed in the morning, but instead I had him put down then. Im terribly allergic to every other living thing so this was my first real pet in a decade and I and collapsing.

Little guy was just over a year old and perfectly healthy beyond this, he just got over biting my nose and started to lick it.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

Gaj posted:

SO I had to euth my dwarf hamster today, it seems he had a urinary blockage that came about pretty quick in the last 3-4 days. The vet tried clearing the obstruction and drained his bladder and tried backwashing out whatever was blocking it, but nothing worked. I had thought about taking him home for the night then having him euthed in the morning, but instead I had him put down then. Im terribly allergic to every other living thing so this was my first real pet in a decade and I and collapsing.

Little guy was just over a year old and perfectly healthy beyond this, he just got over biting my nose and started to lick it.

Aw, that's so sad I'm sorry. The nose-licking is totally adorable too.
Good on you for doing right by him and getting him to the vet though. Even if it was short you gave him a great little life :sympathy:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Gaj posted:

I love little hamsters, but they are not long for this world :(

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Gaj posted:

I'm really sorry. They're adorable little guys but they just don't stick around long enough.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I think I've come to the conclusion that, of all the pets I've had, these mice have to be the stupidest.

I mean holy poo poo they are still absolutely terrified by the sound of the tank lid being removed (even though no harm has ever come to them, and I've paired removal of the lid with dropping a bunch of mealworms into the tank probably a couple dozen times), and they'll all scatter to their bed and then return a minute later, eager to see what's on my hand.

Maybe mine just hate me i dunno :saddowns:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Eh. As much as I love guinea pigs and other little rodents/critters, their brains are about the size of raisins. Most of them are really just quite stupid. ^:shobon:^

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Fraction posted:

I think I've come to the conclusion that, of all the pets I've had, these mice have to be the stupidest.

I mean holy poo poo they are still absolutely terrified by the sound of the tank lid being removed (even though no harm has ever come to them, and I've paired removal of the lid with dropping a bunch of mealworms into the tank probably a couple dozen times), and they'll all scatter to their bed and then return a minute later, eager to see what's on my hand.

Maybe mine just hate me i dunno :saddowns:

They're so pretty! I understand your frustration though, one of my two gerbils is very skittish for some reason, even though I interact with them a lot. If I make any sudden movements she'll either freeze or run away. I love those gerbils, but I can't defend their intelligence. Sometimes when I put a treat on the top level of the cage, they will forget that the huge ramp leading to that part exists and just start jumping in the bottom corner, expecting to phase through the floor.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Yeah I understand your pain. One of my chinchillas bites all the time and hates attention. I don't think he'll ever not try to bite my fingers off.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Awesome Kristin posted:

Yeah I understand your pain. One of my chinchillas bites all the time and hates attention. I don't think he'll ever not try to bite my fingers off.

Considering how long chins live, I hope he'll come around. Nothing like being stuck with a fingermangler for 15 years.

I had one gerbil that was absolute fingerterror for about two years, then she suddenly figured out that hating me all the time isn't cool and was the fluffiest happyball for her last two and a half years. Raisinbrains indeed.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Our second chinchilla, Kiki, we have now had for about 9 years and she has never been one for snuggling or being held. Fortunately she doesn't bite, she just squirms like mad and sends clouds of white fur into the air if you try to pick her up. She will also eat just about anything you stick in front of her face, which has led to some hilarity at times. Our first, her cagemate, is much more affectionate to us and is thoroughly broken in. He used to be a freaking ninja who would always race to find the one spot in whatever room we let him out in where we couldn't get to him, but now my 2 year old pushes him around in her toy shopping cart without issue (although we always keep a close eye and are never more than a foot away, just in case....).

We owned at one point 7 chins, and have fostered dozens of the little buggers over the years. Each chin seems to have their own personality, but hopefully you can get yours to be less violent. Some are more accepting of human interaction than others.

Then there was our good buddy Ed the chinchilla who unfortunately isn't with us any longer. He was.... Special. His favorite food in the whole wide world seemed to be a toss up between the plastic shelves in his cage and, I poo poo you not, Swedish Fish. You could just pick him up any time and plop him down in the middle of the front lawn aNd he wouldn't go anywhere. He may very well have been too stupid to realize he could run away, or perhaps to realize that he might want to run away.

This and much more in my upcoming book: Chinchillas I Have Known.

furushotakeru fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 12, 2011

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Awesome Kristin posted:

:( They can be vicious!

Our little girl is skittish but is coming around. She's very precocious.

She's also disturbingly smart. Put her in front of something once, she checks it out. The next time she's remembered everything about it and starts zooming around with absolutely no problems.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Sirotan posted:

Eh. As much as I love guinea pigs and other little rodents/critters, their brains are about the size of raisins. Most of them are really just quite stupid. ^:shobon:^

Dude, guinea pig brains are like four times the size of a raisin! :downs:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Sirotan posted:

Actually, rodents are pretty high up there in terms of animal intelligence. They're not quite on par with, say, crows or african greys, but they're certainly competitive with dogs and cats. Although my experiences with guinea pigs does make me wonder about them...

Anyway, I've got a chinchilla myself. He's never been big on being handled, but he generally just pushes my finger away when I try to pet him for too long instead of biting. I don't think he's ever actually seriously bit me, though he will do a gentle nibble if he wants me to get the gently caress away.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Guinea pigs aren't really overly stupid, it's just that they will almost never learn anything that isn't somehow related directly to food. For the longest time, the night-time routine was I'd use my inhaler, go rinse, and then get veggies out of the fridge for the girls. When my doc moved me to twice-daily dosage, the girls started getting pissed at me in the morning, because they had grown to equate that little hiss-hiss with incoming veggies.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

kazmeyer posted:

Guinea pigs aren't really overly stupid, it's just that they will almost never learn anything that isn't somehow related directly to food. For the longest time, the night-time routine was I'd use my inhaler, go rinse, and then get veggies out of the fridge for the girls. When my doc moved me to twice-daily dosage, the girls started getting pissed at me in the morning, because they had grown to equate that little hiss-hiss with incoming veggies.

That isn't so bad. My wife's old peeg would squeak like mad any time someone opened the refrigerator :psyduck:

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

furushotakeru posted:

That isn't so bad. My wife's old peeg would squeak like mad any time someone opened the refrigerator :psyduck:

My two pigs do this, doubly so if they hear you open the crisper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I just want to clarify that my chin that bites came from a bad home. He was 4 when we got him and a little boy was allowed to play with him (from what I heard it was rough handling), and his conditions weren't great either.

I do what I can for him but he's just so grumpy.