Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

TVs Ian posted:

I wonder if it'd still be three years if Hussiebot just reached in there and shoved them through.

Relativity sure is confusing!

I was wondering if this was the way in which he would interfere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So John and Jade are alone on a ship for three years. Presumably without even being able to talk to their friends?

That sucks. Jade's gotta unshrink Davesprite, Nannasprite and Jaspersprite at some point, in that case. If only so they have some freakin' company.

Seoinin posted:

Three years alone together sounds like a sure-fire way to make siblings completely loathe each other.

Or just the opposite.

:stare:

:gonk:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 12, 2011

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Three years alone together sounds like a sure-fire way to make siblings completely loathe each other.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

VJeff posted:

So John and Jade are alone on a ship for three years. Presumably without even being able to talk to their friends?

That sucks. Jade's gotta unshrink Davesprite, Nannasprite and Jaspersprite at some point, in that case. If only so they have some freakin' company.

Hey, can they still meet up in the dream bubbles?

And I suppose they could go down on to the shrunken Incipisphere and do quests to pass the time/learn lessons. Maybe there's some carapace people left alive on the Battlefield that they could rally and refound civilization with, their own little Can Town.

Then again assuming that Rose, Dave, and the trolls get aged the same amount what the heck are those guys doing in the meantime?

Edit: This update is really funny in light of our discussion just a moment ago about compression and montages and stuff. Fan artists and fan fiction writers are going to go nuts with the three years of downtime. Whole epic sagas will be written to fill the void.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 12, 2011

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Homestuck started on 4/13/2009. John and Jade will be on the ship for 3 years.

When will we, as readers, see John and Jade again?

4/13/2012

BOOK IT.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dolash posted:

Then again assuming that Rose, Dave, and the trolls get aged the same amount what the heck are those guys doing in the meantime?
Act 6 Intermission 2 promises to be interesting indeed!

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
I hope John finds out Vriska is dead sooner than three years from now.

Because otherwise man that's going to be an awkward meeting.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

They're probably going to spend that time travelling through the furthest ring to get to the new session. They don't have a beacon to guide them like the trolls did when they set off for the green sun.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

marsattacks posted:

I hope John finds out Vriska is dead sooner than three years from now.

Because otherwise man that's going to be an awkward meeting.

In three years, he'll have a lot of time to sleep. Maybe he'll encounter her in there.

Rykert
Mar 13, 2010

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Homestuck started on 4/13/2009. John and Jade will be on the ship for 3 years.

When will we, as readers, see John and Jade again?

4/13/2012

BOOK IT.

Oh poo poo. You're probably exactly right!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So are Rose, Dave, and the surviving trolls going to have to make a three-year journey too? Or will they arrive instantaneously via freaky dream poo poo?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Well Manicured Man posted:

[...]preparation for the epic Lord English strife theme[...]

Wait... is this the one inspired the suggestion I relayed from my non-goon friend? :aaaaa:

VJeff posted:

Or just the opposite.

gently caress. Guess I'm going to be seeing a lot of :stonk:-inducing things on AO3 for a while.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 12, 2011

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

snucks posted:

yeah, I think Hussie is on the coattails of a big trend in epic contemporary fiction. My all-time favorite piece of fiction, Infinite Jest, actually did exactly what Hussie explicitly set out to do* 15 years ago. I actually got into Homestuck originally after needing something as a substitute with how obsessed I was over Infinite Jest, if anyone here reads regular books and not just online webcomic books I can't reccomend it enough.

*(to tell a narrative disjointed by perspectives and time frames that is at its core a puzzle for its readers to assemble. seriously the most engaging thing you can do in an otherwise non-interactive medium; Infinite Jest weirdly predicted the following decade's developments in videogames that Homestuck is heavily based on.)

This was a page ago, but I got into Homestuck and Infinite Jest at the same time for similar reasons. They're remarkably similar for two things so completely different.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I have to imagine this is going to end with Jade realizing she can simply use her Space powers to pinch the fabric of space-time together and shorten the relative distance between where she is and where she's going. It's like she's never played Mage the Ascension/Awakening or something.

Just make a distance of three light years shorter! Jeeze.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Cabbit posted:

I have to imagine this is going to end with Jade realizing she can simply use her Space powers to pinch the fabric of space-time together and shorten the relative distance between where she is and where she's going. It's like she's never played Mage the Ascension/Awakening or something.

Just make a distance of three light years shorter! Jeeze.

Hasn't she basically said that her powers aren't nearly as effective in this span in-between universes, cut-off from the Green Sun?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So how long has Homestuck been running again? Assuming they sync up then about 3 years will have passed both in and out of continuity by the time this is over.

Edit: vvv Personal feelings for the genre aside, I would totally watch a homestuck anime.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 12, 2011

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
WILL JOHN AND JADE GET STRONG ENOUGH IN THE HYPERBOLIC TIME CHAMBER TO DEFEAT LORD ENGLISH? TUNE IN NEXT TIME FOR ANOTHER EXCITING EPISODE OF MSPA Z

I'm so sorry. But it's the only thing I could think of.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

YggiDee posted:

Hasn't she basically said that her powers aren't nearly as effective in this span in-between universes, cut-off from the Green Sun?

That would be her First Guardian powers, not her Hero of Space powers.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Captain Oblivious posted:

WILL JOHN AND JADE GET STRONG ENOUGH IN THE HYPERBOLIC TIME CHAMBER TO DEFEAT LORD ENGLISH? TUNE IN NEXT TIME FOR ANOTHER EXCITING EPISODE OF MSPA Z

I'm so sorry. But it's the only thing I could think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMcEBX74AWE

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
I don't like this development if it means no John or Jade until 2012 gosh darn it I am kind of bored of scratched kids already?? Oh well, hopefully Rose and Dave don't end up in a similar predicament

FutureSushi fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 12, 2011

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I was just about to ask for this. Thanks for that :3:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Fast forward to 3 years when they finally make it to the fourth wall. The ship makes contact with the wall, doesn't break it and they fall on the floor. Suddenly the EOA7 animation happens and Spades Slick runs over them in a wheel chair.

The logical conclusion to Homestuck.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
At first, I thought time dilation was stretching three nanoseconds from Hussiebot's point of view to three years from the kids' point of view, because they were traveling at really, really close to the speed of light. After a glance at the Wikipedia page for time dilation, I think I got the effect reversed. Now I don't know what the hell's going on.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

A good poster posted:

At first, I thought time dilation was stretching three nanoseconds from Hussiebot's point of view to three years from the kids' point of view, because they were traveling at really, really close to the speed of light. After a glance at the Wikipedia page for time dilation, I think I got the effect reversed. Now I don't know what the hell's going on.

Nah, I think my friend told me mspa forums worked out hussie did it backwards for some reason, probably explained by it not being our real universe and creative license.

Also they worked out that the distance the ship was travelling wasn't exactly a foot due to it coming out of the middle of the windows. Basically incredible nitpicking.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I think one of the only ways this can work is if by John and Jade's frame of reference they're traveling close to 3 light years at nearly light speed.

For Hussiebot's frame of reference it is one yard and 3 nanoseconds.

In the end it doesn't matter since the fourth wall will toss them out where they need to go.

edit: Or yeah..he just flipped it turnways to conveniently age up John and Jade.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 12, 2011

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I feel like this is an effective way to raise the stakes, since the kids now have an actual goddess in their back pocket. Jack Noir has already shown us how one character with space-folding power can torpedo an entire Sburb session. Though... that means all those planets are gonna be in transit for three years, too. John and Jade could use the downtime to meet their denizens and complete their Campbellian hero's journeys or whatever, I guess!

Or maybe it'll just be a big time skip, like when Jack dived into that time flower thing, sweating out a million years just to open a can on Prospit royalty.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=001982

You have a feeling it's going to be a long day.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So that's the significance of the yard: Three feet is three nanoseconds is three years. That's his direct influence. He's aging the characters by three years.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Huh. At first, I thought Hussie was doing this so all eight kids (and the trolls) would be the same age, but unless the B2 kids spend several months in their session, I don't see how it'll work out.

I can see some possibilities to pass the time, though:

- The Gift of Gab, we know, lets them talk to people without communication devices. Perhaps this extends to long-distance communication, too? So they can keep chatting with Dave and Rose and all at the Green Sun. But since they haven't yet, it's possible this isn't the case.

- As mentioned, they've got planets to explore, if they wish. Plus Davesprite and any surviving denizens/consorts/prospitians/dersians to interact with.

- This one is a pretty big stretch, but... Aradia arrived at the Green Sun by going through Jack, if you recall. Jade is also now a conduit of Green Sun energy. Perhaps once the surviving trolls arrive, everyone can pop out of Jade and they can journey to the new universe together.

On an unrelated note, anyone know what font is used in that last animated gif panel? I have...reasons.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bobulus posted:

On an unrelated note, anyone know what font is used in that last animated gif panel? I have...reasons.
AndrewHussieFreehand.ttf

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Time skip. Makes sense. Looking forward to seeing this play out.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

So I'm betting that it took Dave and Rose three years to travel through the green sun.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Spellman posted:

AndrewHussieFreehand.ttf

You'd think someone would have made a font by now... grumble grumble. Guess I'll have to do this the hard way...

Sepherothic posted:

Time skip. Makes sense. Looking forward to seeing this play out.

Maybe not the way you're thinking. If people are right and they show up in the B2 universe in April, they'll have aged 3 years, but we'll have been away from them for, what, five months? So, yeah, a time skip, but not like an anime timeskip where we just cut right to the end.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Also, on a note; (I'm probably super late)

I heard the word "acquiesce" used today which I hadn't really heard before and I thought "hang on a minute, that sounds like Equius, right? Well, let's see what that word means.."

ac·qui·esce
Verb:
Accept something reluctantly but without protest

HUSSIEEEE :argh:

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Bobulus posted:

Huh. At first, I thought Hussie was doing this so all eight kids (and the trolls) would be the same age, but unless the B2 kids spend several months in their session, I don't see how it'll work out.

Dave and Rose haven't (as far as we know now) aged three years, for what that's worth

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

VJeff posted:

If nothing else, they're going to have a lot to talk about with Davesprite. "Hey man, four months? Try three years!"

But yeah, hope that they think to work on their miniature planet personal quests. And that dreaming still works.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I made an thing, for the next time we get incredibly confused!

Also available in avatar form...

Tw1tchy posted:

HUSSIEEEE :argh:

All the trolls were fan-named, so I don't think we can give Andrew credit for that one.

edit: Okay, I'm probably overthinking this, but am I the only one amused that the tumor, which appears as a giant ying-yang, symbolic of male and female, is labeled 'gently caress'?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 12, 2011

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Bobulus posted:

All the trolls were fan-named, so I don't think we can give Andrew credit for that one.

But he did choose that name AND he may have worked out character quirks based slightly on their names!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I thought about it, and I like the idea of Jade unshrinking the Sprites and Consorts and all of them hanging out for three years quite a bit.

They can watch Nic Cage movies at John's house. It'll be awesome.

WHAT'S SERENITY SAYING :byodood:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

VJeff posted:

WHAT'S SERENITY SAYING :byodood:

"YOU SUCK!!!"

DrakePegasus fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 12, 2011