Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Apparently a lot of the ideas for Rose Red also came from the time Spielberg asked him to work on Poltergeist but that fell through. I liked the whole idea behind the mini-series but the casting, special effects and plot just makes little sense. Also; Nancy Travis. Sure she's great to have if you need a character to be crazy but perhaps not so good to have if that character needs to have a "going batshit insane arc" because the moment she's on screen that arc seems to be complete. It's something in her eyes I think.

She's creepier than that mini-series all on her own.

Local Group Bus fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Local Group Bus posted:

I own Rose Red on DVD and feel like such an arse when I watch it because I get the feeling that the character David Dukes played had a bigger role and may have changed the whole thing for the better but he went and died and the rest of the mini-series just flounders.

One reason not to be ashamed to own Rose Red: Julian Sands was pretty damned great in it.
Another Rose Red DVD owner here. :h5: I thought the film was kind of mediocre overall, but I do like me some Julian Sands.

Haven't had much time to read 11.22.63 this week, but last night I read the chapter wherein Jake meets Richie and Beverly. I loved it, but I wonder how people who haven't read IT think of it, because the scene seems to rely on the reader knowing exactly what's just gone on with those kids.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Taliaquin posted:

Another Rose Red DVD owner here. :h5: I thought the film was kind of mediocre overall, but I do like me some Julian Sands.

Haven't had much time to read 11.22.63 this week, but last night I read the chapter wherein Jake meets Richie and Beverly. I loved it, but I wonder how people who haven't read IT think of it, because the scene seems to rely on the reader knowing exactly what's just gone on with those kids.
I had basically no clue what was going on other than those kids seemed to know Derry was bad and that kid's father was crazy. I think there's another brief callback that made no sense to me at the time.

I really liked The Shining mini-series.
I'll probably waste the 3 hours on Bag of Bones instead of erasing from my DVR.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I Ozma Myself posted:

When did he say he initially came up with the idea for 11/22/63?

In the afterward he says he was originally going to write the story in the 70s but didn't want to do the research into Oswald and thought that it was still too close to the event.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

I Ozma Myself posted:

(I actually own Rose Red)

(what the gently caress is wrong with me)

I own Rose Red, as well - mostly because that house is gorgeous, andI I am a sucker for cheesy haunted house mysteries.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Got a gift card for my birthday and went to B&N and among the stuff I picked up was 11/22/63.

Now I know what an addict feels like.

I looked at the book, noted that there were several poor reviews here, thought back to my recent King encounters (didn't finish Duma Key, currently reading Full Dark No Stars and am not impressed about 1/2 was in, have noted a general downward trend for the last 15 years or so) and BOUGHT IT ANYWAY.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Well, let's up the shame ante. Who owns the the diary of Ellen Rimbauer book? I do, and it is actually a pretty good read. I also own the movie version of that book which I wouldn't recommend so can anyone match my shame on both of these heinous acquisitions?

HappilyDeranged
Mar 17, 2009
I used to own the book, but I never owned the movie so I guess I'm only half as shameful.

Watched Bag of Bones last night- it was pretty terrible. Lots of little things were bugging me. For example, Kyra and Mattie both look quite a bit older than they were supposed to be in the book. Sara was known for her bawdy songs, not lullabies, damnit. Also, Sara hasn't laughed a single time. Whitmore does not look like a creepy albino at all. They were really over-doing it with the "once for yes, twice for no" stuff. In addition to the annoyances, it seemed to me like there were far too many commercial breaks. I think I'll pass on the second part and just watch WWE with my fiance, it will probably be more entertaining.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Local Group Bus posted:

Well, let's up the shame ante. Who owns the the diary of Ellen Rimbauer book? I do, and it is actually a pretty good read. I also own the movie version of that book which I wouldn't recommend so can anyone match my shame on both of these heinous acquisitions?

I owned Diary at one time but it went MIA during our last move, as did some other King books. I wouldn't put it past my boyfriend to have pitched them. The scene NosmoKing described is eerily similar.

"Why are you buying that stephen king book? You HATED the last one."
"Yeah, but it's stephen king."
"...and he writes total poo poo now, and arguably always wrote poo poo, so what's the point?"
"I READ THESE, OK! I READ THESE!"

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I wonder just how much of me reading King is just nostalgic at this point.

I mean, he hasn't actually frightened me in years, but he's one of the last authors still writing/alive from my childhood. And he did scare the poo poo out of me when I was younger.

I think 1408 (the short story, not the movie) was the last thing that really freaked me out. Was I the only one that found it really, really unsettling?

Anyway he's better then Dean Koontz. I actually cannot manage to remember which books of that man's that I've read. It's like they erase themselves from my brain the second I finish them, leaving only a vague memory of a magical dog behind.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

NosmoKing posted:

Got a gift card for my birthday and went to B&N and among the stuff I picked up was 11/22/63.

I looked at the book, noted that there were several poor reviews here, thought back to my recent King encounters (didn't finish Duma Key, currently reading Full Dark No Stars and am not impressed about 1/2 was in, have noted a general downward trend for the last 15 years or so) and BOUGHT IT ANYWAY.

It's had very positive reactions here. There weren't any negative reviews until just lately. I really enjoyed it.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I had basically no clue what was going on other than those kids seemed to know Derry was bad and that kid's father was crazy. I think there's another brief callback that made no sense to me at the time.
That's what I was thinking would happen. Some of the stuff mentioned even before that chapter were direct references to events in IT.

That reminds me, I'm disappointed there don't seem to have been any recent references to Rose Madder. I really loved that book and I think that Rose (the woman in the painting, not the main character) was badass, and was clearly part of the central universe of King's mythos. Then again, despite Duma Key being about an artist, maybe I should be glad Rose has stayed on her little hill instead of popping back up.

NosmoKing posted:

I Ozma Myself posted:

"Why are you buying that stephen king book? You HATED the last one."
"Yeah, but it's stephen king."
"...and he writes total poo poo now, and arguably always wrote poo poo, so what's the point?"
"I READ THESE, OK! I READ THESE!"
I'm in the same boat. I've thought a good deal of his recent stuff is crap, but I keep buying it, sometimes even grumbling while doing so. drat you, King! :argh:

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

spixxor posted:

I think 1408 (the short story, not the movie) was the last thing that really freaked me out. Was I the only one that found it really, really unsettling?

One of my favourites. The film isn't bad either. It's the kind of thing I wish David Lynch had directed though.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Taliaquin posted:

That reminds me, I'm disappointed there don't seem to have been any recent references to Rose Madder. I really loved that book and I think that Rose (the woman in the painting, not the main character) was badass, and was clearly part of the central universe of King's mythos.

I thought he made little references here and there in his work; isn't Rose Madder something he's particularly proud of?

I like 1408 quite a bit. Everything's Eventual has a couple pretty good stories, really.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

spixxor posted:

Anyway he's better then Dean Koontz. I actually cannot manage to remember which books of that man's that I've read. It's like they erase themselves from my brain the second I finish them, leaving only a vague memory of a magical dog behind.

Dean Koontz has a couple good ones like Phantoms and Odd Thomas(but not the sequels).

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Taliaquin posted:

I'm in the same boat. I've thought a good deal of his recent stuff is crap, but I keep buying it, sometimes even grumbling while doing so. drat you, King! :argh:

You guys aren't doing it right! Get a Kindle + Amazon Prime and just use the newish 'borrowing' library feature to read them for free from their unlimited library! Double the addiction, half the cost!

Also, thanks to whoever mentioned his son, Joe Hill. I got his short story book, 20th Century Ghosts and ate it right up. Starting on Heart Shaped Box now!

DeseretRain
Oct 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I really liked The Shining mini-series.

I really liked it, too. I actually think it's better than The Shining (the movie) because it's so much more faithful to the book, and I like the book.

I'm mystified by the fact that some people don't like Full Dark, No Stars. I love that one- I've read it twice now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

NosmoKing posted:

There were way, way more positive reactions than negative. Pretty much everyone I've spoken to offline has loved it, as well, and I'd put it up there with The Shining, myself. Book's awesome, I couldn't put it down and read it in around a day.

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.

spixxor posted:

Yep, me too. The stuff with the voice on the phone really freaked me out. The only King book to ever do so.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I don't recall a reference too boo'ya moon in Bag of Bones and yet there it is on his iPad while he's looking at the NYT crossword. Is this like a peculiar form of retconning? Are they doing a t.v. movie of Lisey's Story next?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I don't recall a reference too boo'ya moon in Bag of Bones and yet there it is on his iPad while he's looking at the NYT crossword. Is this like a peculiar form of retconning? Are they doing a t.v. movie of Lisey's Story next?

I don't remember it, either. But yeah, they're probably trying to tie it in with Lisey's Story. Wasn't Dark Score Lake mentioned offhand in Lisey's Story?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I watched the rest of Bag of Bones.

I want those hours back immediately.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Man, Bag of Bones was both one of the worst things I've watched recently.. and one of the most unintentionally hilarious.

I was in hysterics when a haunted tree started slapping Pierce Brosnan in the face. Seriously, that's the climax they use for the thing?

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Want another laugh? Stephen King has been nominated for Bad Sex Award for crimes against intercourse in his latest novel. I had no idea such an award existed but, yeah, I'd say it's time he picked one of them up.

I hope people read past the headline though. It could very easily be taken out of context.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Local Group Bus posted:

Want another laugh? Stephen King has been nominated for Bad Sex Award for crimes against intercourse in his latest novel. I had no idea such an award existed but, yeah, I'd say it's time he picked one of them up.

It gets worse with every book. Under the Dome's "be gentle with me" thing was so bad I had to put the book down.

And the Bag of Bones miniseries has probably gone so far as to ruin the book for me in some ways, though I have only myself to blame for continuing to watch despite realizing almost immediately that I was making an awful mistake.

edit: I don't know why I attributed that sex scene to duma key, sorry!

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Bad Sex Award is stupid anyway. Yeah, sex in novels can be awfully written sometimes, but sex is completely different for everyone and what's awful and book-ruining for one person might be perfectly fine for another depending on their idea of "normal" sex. 11.22.63's scenes were a little awkward at times (yeah, OK, poundcake, we get it), but I wouldn't have said the passage quoted in that article was terrible in context, given Sadie's character and sexual history. I certainly wouldn't hold up those parts as needing to be called out and shamed. They're just not to everybody's taste, that's all. How could they be?

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Honestly, if they're going down that road 11/22/63 was only mildly annoying compared to some of King's sex scenes. I don't think it even gave me pause, but then I do get into a certain frame of mind when reading King. (Ayuh!)

This seems to be an annual thing though, so I guess it has to be novels from that year.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Poundcake got very annoying very quickly, but I smiled at that quoted line, given who was saying it and the time period. It does sound ridiculous out of context, though.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Finally saw Children of the Corn last night for the first time. In the one opening scene when they are driving they have a copy of Night Shift on the dashboard. Night Shift just happens to be the short story collection that had Children of the Corn in it. Why couldn't they just read that book to find out what was going to happen?

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Because they were driving :colbert:

The King movies are just as rife with cross-referencing as the books are. At least in the books it's for a reason; we find out Thad ended up divorced and then killed himself over the course of the two or three books following The Dark Half and there's a new Paul Sheldon Misery novel.. which makes sense in a connected kind of way but movies and mini-series are throwing them in way too often and just for the novelty of it. I cringed when The Mists main character was painting a Dark Tower themed book cover at the start.

Local Group Bus fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 15, 2011

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Local Group Bus posted:

Because they were driving :colbert:

And in a King joint a woman can't sit quiet without naggin' her man.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
Two trends I noticed in a lot of his books is that almost every fat person is an annoying person with horrible traits and no one just laughs, they break into hysterics or laugh uncontrollably, usually with "tears running down their cheeks".

I don't know why these two things stood out, but I just noticed it after re-reading a few of his books.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm about 80 pages into 11/22/63, and please don't tell me that saving JFK's life fucks up the future so he has to go back and be the second gunman behind the grassy knoll to set things right again because Red Dwarf did it already :argh:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Hedrigall posted:

I'm about 80 pages into 11/22/63, and please don't tell me that saving JFK's life fucks up the future so he has to go back and be the second gunman behind the grassy knoll to set things right again because Red Dwarf did it already :argh:

That doesn't happen. Your tastes in TV are good. Move along.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Boofchicken posted:

Two trends I noticed in a lot of his books is that almost every fat person is an annoying person with horrible traits and no one just laughs, they break into hysterics or laugh uncontrollably, usually with "tears running down their cheeks".

I don't know why these two things stood out, but I just noticed it after re-reading a few of his books.
Off the top of my head, Ben from IT is described as being fat constantly and is probably one of, if not the, nicest of the losers.

EDIT: King does seem to overuse physical ugliness as a sign of mental or spiritual ugliness, though that might just be because the horror genre tends to skew that way.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Nah, that wouldn't be possible given how time travel works in the book. The Red Dwarf episode was the first thing I thought of when I heard about the book, though.

a silver spaceship
Dec 27, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Finally saw Children of the Corn last night for the first time. In the one opening scene when they are driving they have a copy of Night Shift on the dashboard. Night Shift just happens to be the short story collection that had Children of the Corn in it. Why couldn't they just read that book to find out what was going to happen?

Because in that universe Children of the Corn wouldn't have been in the book : either it would simply be missing, or another story that might not really exist might have been in its place. That story wouldn't have been in the book because it hadn't happened yet, they were just then living it.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

drat, that's got me imagining King writing the ultimate author intrusion short story where what he is writing is happening because, you know, so many people read his books that it wouldn't be a stretch to have a supernatural creature as a fan who is able to act only through Kings own fiction.

Sort of like that really old campfire tale where a woman is alone in her house doing a jigsaw puzzle, noticing that the puzzle looks more and more like her house and as she puts the last piece in, which is a window, she hears the window smash and the last puzzle piece is a smashed window with a masked man climbing though.

Edit: If King writes himself into another book I'm going to blame you.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Local Group Bus posted:

drat, that's got me imagining King writing the ultimate author intrusion short story where what he is writing is happening because, you know, so many people read his books that it wouldn't be a stretch to have a supernatural creature as a fan who is able to act only through Kings own fiction.

Goddamn you for dredging up this old memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

a silver spaceship posted:

Because in that universe Children of the Corn wouldn't have been in the book : either it would simply be missing, or another story that might not really exist might have been in its place. That story wouldn't have been in the book because it hadn't happened yet, they were just then living it.

I don't know, it worked in The Dark Tower.