Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AppleCare cannot be transferred between machines like that, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Blah, thought so. My bundled AppleCare will probably end before the Ivy Bridge MBAs come out so I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers until then

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

quote:

Oneiros posted:

According to Mactracker the late 2008 will do 8GB. The early 2008, however, will only do 6GB.

Sweet, will these do:

quote:

Kingston HyperX Genesis 2 x 4 GB
Kingston's KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX is a kit of two 512 M x 64-bit DDR3-1600MHz CL9 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) memory modules, based on sixteen 256 M x 8-bit DDR3 FBGA components per module. Each module kit supports Intel XMP (Extreme Memory Profiles). Each module kit has been tested to run at DDR3-1600 MHz at low latency timing. The SPDs are programmed to JEDEC standard latency DDR3-1333MHz timing.

quote:

Oneiros posted:

Your MBP will only do 1066MHz. That RAM should be able to operate at the lower clock speed, but you could probably save a few bucks and just get a slower set.

Really? It says under "About this Mac" that it supports 1333 MHz DDR3.

Could anyone clear this up for me - does my Mac support 1333 or only 1066?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

I can't think of any current gen video that is limited to FW. I always thought pro audio was mostly on USB? Why not actually ask the OP?
FW was the main thing for audio for a while cause the low latency, I guess they've figured out tricks around it/dealt with USB since the early days probably cause it's everywhere. Video can take crazy bandwidth depending on what is being worked with.

Eight Is Legend posted:

Could anyone clear this up for me - does my Mac support 1333 or only 1066?
Technically it should clock down to 1066 but there's no guarantee that it will work cause some Macs can be picky with RAM. I've heard it showing 1333 on the similar hardware Mac minis but I forget the reasons behind it. If you really want the 1333 go for it I guess, and if it doesn't work, return it. Just buy from a place with a good return policy in case you have to use it.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Shaocaholica posted:

I always thought pro audio was mostly on USB?

Nope.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

beefnoodle posted:

Nope.

To expand, USB relies upon a software process that runs on the normal CPU die, where FW has it's own controller (in the majority of cases). This is why a FW400 transfer is often a lot faster and more consistent than the 'better' USB2.0 spec, and in audio you certainly don't want your monitoring to be affected by rendering out effects etc.

Any audio hardware that has moved over to USB is almost certainly just a compromise to increase potential sales to users without any access to Firewire. It's not because it's better in any way, other than ubiquity.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Do any of you Boston-area guys point me toward a good AASP? I want to get an SSD installed and don't want to do it myself. The Computer Loft in Allston gets good reviews but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a better place.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Shaocaholica posted:

I can't think of any current gen video that is limited to FW. I always thought pro audio was mostly on USB? Why not actually ask the OP?

Audio stuff, yes. There are only a small handful of interfaces that do 16 in / 16 out at 24/96 over USB. Everything else is still firewire.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Neurophonic posted:

To expand, USB relies upon a software process that runs on the normal CPU die, where FW has it's own controller (in the majority of cases). This is why a FW400 transfer is often a lot faster and more consistent than the 'better' USB2.0 spec, and in audio you certainly don't want your monitoring to be affected by rendering out effects etc.

Any audio hardware that has moved over to USB is almost certainly just a compromise to increase potential sales to users without any access to Firewire. It's not because it's better in any way, other than ubiquity.

Is this still relevant with today's CPUs? I never said USB was better and I understand the difference but I don't see any need moving forward for FW if you have USB + TB.

Mass storage (TB)
Peripherals (USB)
Pro audio (USB/FW?)
Modern pro video which is all file based (USB or TB flash reader).

If pro audio is the only one in that list that can't work around USB's limitations then its going to have problems going forward if Apple doesn't think its necessary to put FW on all their Macs.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The Air is the only thing that doesn't have FW and there's no reason for them to remove it from any of the desktop machines. We'll see what happens with the Pro redesign but I'd be shocked if they end up just making a 15" Air and killing off the Pros.

High-end interface companies (Avid, Apogee, RME, etc) are already at work on Thunderbolt interfaces because USB isn't going to do the trick, and Thunderbolt would replace not only firewire but the need for PCI cards on the super high-end stuff. It's just going to take a while.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Firewire does a lot of things USB doesn't. But for external storage, Apple really needs to get on the USB 3.0 train (or cheap Thunderbolt disk enclosures need to start showing up)

I don't see the 15" Air making any sense, unless they can get a quad-core in there...

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Does anyone know why adding 4GB of RAM to my Mac Pro 1,1 would make all the fans turn on full-blast all the time as soon as it starts up? I just RMAd this RAM from OWC to replace the 4GB that went bad earlier, but every time I put it in the fans just clock up to full and won't quit. It's the same PC5300 667MHZ as what's in there now.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

Does anyone know why adding 4GB of RAM to my Mac Pro 1,1 would make all the fans turn on full-blast all the time as soon as it starts up? I just RMAd this RAM from OWC to replace the 4GB that went bad earlier, but every time I put it in the fans just clock up to full and won't quit. It's the same PC5300 667MHZ as what's in there now.

What temperatures are being reported for the memory risers and the individual chips?

You can grab iStat if you don't already have something.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

With RAM in:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7872373/pix/WithRAM.jpg

Gonna take the RAM back out now and get another screen without the RAM in. It's really bizarre because the fans start speeding up as soon as the grey screen appears when I restart. CPU temp is also WAY up, 150 degrees when normally it hovers around 120º.

Here it is without the RAM:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7872373/pix/WithoutRAM.jpg

The biggest thing is that the CPU Fan & Exhaust Fan are at 500rpm whereas with the RAM in they're at 2800RPM.

Shaocaholica posted:

Do the fans stay at full blast when you get to the desktop? Are you sure its the memory thats causing it?

The fans rev up to full blast once the apple logo appears (it takes them about 30 seconds to hit full speed) and stay at full speed constantly until I shut the machine back down. Even if I let it sit at the desktop for a few minutes, there's no effect whatsoever on the fan speed. As soon as I turn the machine off and pull the RAM out, the machine starts back up and the fans are back to normal.

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 12, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

bassguitarhero posted:

Do the fans stay at full blast when you get to the desktop? Are you sure its the memory thats causing it?

micron
Nov 15, 2005

I'm looking to get my first Mac. I went from looking at the air to pretty much centering on a Macbook Pro. Portability isn't all that important as it will be used as a home laptop.

In here there is 2 Macbooks for the same price of $929. Why is the intel Core Duo the same price as the I5? The I5 seems a lot newer as well.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13

Also this will be an X-Mas gift and would like it to be a surprise. Anyone have any idea what the shipping packaging looks like for a refurb apple?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

micron posted:

In here there is 2 Macbooks for the same price of $929. Why is the intel Core Duo the same price as the I5? The I5 seems a lot newer as well.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13

Because people are stupid and will buy the one with MOAR MEGAHURTZ

micron posted:

Anyone have any idea what the shipping packaging looks like for a refurb apple?
Brown cardboard box. Of course it will have Apples address on the shipping label.

kryptonik
May 10, 2007

by Ozmaugh
my imac came in a massive white box, but was quite nondescript as to what it contained.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
With my student discount a 13-inch MBA and MBP (with a 128 gb solid state drive) cost about the same. Ignoring weight for a moment, at that point the main trade-offs would be higher-res display against an optical drive, correct?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

step aside posted:

With my student discount a 13-inch MBA and MBP (with a 128 gb solid state drive) cost about the same. Ignoring weight for a moment, at that point the main trade-offs would be higher-res display against an optical drive, correct?

Or the 4GB/256GB limit of the Air. If you actually 'need' 8GB of RAM or a 500GB HD, you will have to go with the Pro. The Pro has Firewire ports and a better battery, but only by about an hour and a half of light surfing.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
I do occasional Photoshop work and I might want to play Diablo 3 when it comes out but otherwise I don't really game much or really push my hardware all that hard.

Only reason I'd want a larger hard drive is for all of my music, but with itunes match I wouldn't need to have it all taking up hard drive space.

I have no firewire peripherals whatsoever.

Honestly it's kind of moot as I probably won't be springing for another computer until late next year and the next round of refreshes will be out by then. Hopefully they improve the screen resolution on the pro, since that is the main problem I have with it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not sure if this counts as hardware or software, but I'm amazed at this: when did my mid-2010 27" iMac get the option of turning off the display with Control-Shift-Eject? I swear to god only my MacBooks could do it in the past and it was a huge gripe for me with my iMac. Am I going crazy and it could do it all along or was it added in with Lion or something?
Heh, I have a hot corner set up for this. Nice to know.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

4GB/128GB 2010 11" Airs for $849 at MacMall

http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-MacBook-Air/product~dpno~8836727~pdp.gigdcjd

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.

Bob Morales posted:

4GB/128GB 2010 11" Airs for $849 at MacMall

http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-MacBook-Air/product~dpno~8836727~pdp.gigdcjd

Definitely smells like a revision is coming soon. There seem to be a lot of MBA sales.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mid-2007 iMac - Is the limit really 6GB (2GB+4GB) or can you stick 4GB+4GB in there without it crashing like some people say?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Qaz Kwaz posted:

Definitely smells like a revision is coming soon. There seem to be a lot of MBA sales.

This is the last gen model. That's why it's on sale. They JUST had a revision.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003

El Duke posted:

This is the last gen model. That's why it's on sale. They JUST had a revision.

Like 6 months ago

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Qaz Kwaz posted:

Not until IB.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Not until IB.

So if you were in the market now would you wait for IB, whenever that might be?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Qaz Kwaz posted:

So if you were in the market now would you wait for IB, whenever that might be?

You either need and buy it, or don't need it and wait.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Could I get some advice on my MacBook? I have a late 2009 MacBook (the white thing). I bought it as an official Apple refurbished unit. I didn't get AppleCare although now it looks like I may have made a mistake there. Several months ago I started getting "Service Battery" warnings that would come and go. For the past couple of months it's just stuck on "Service Battery." The system reports that the battery currently has 438 cycles on it and I'm still getting around 4-5 hours of battery out of it. It seems to get warmer than it used to as well but other than that I haven't noticed anything weird.

I originally chalked all this up to the battery getting old so I looked into how much it would cost to replace it, figuring that this is a pretty routine thing. I thought it was $129 since that's the only number I can find on Apple's website but I asked a nearby not-official Apple store and they quoted me $229. They told me that the new batteries are made of special materials and that's why they cost so much. They also said my battery must be defective because they are supposed to last 1000 cycles or something. :confused:

So I have two questions . . . Firstly, are these guys right or are they trying to rip me off/feed me bullshit? Secondly, what should I do? Should I just stick with this battery until it totally fails or would replacing it soon be worthwhile? Does "Service Battery" mean something significant besides "give Steve Jobs' ghost your money?" If it was $129 I'd probably just do it but now I'm wondering if it's worth it given the thing's age/value and the fact that the battery isn't really visibly acting up.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

HondaCivet posted:

Could I get some advice on my MacBook? I have a late 2009 MacBook (the white thing). I bought it as an official Apple refurbished unit. I didn't get AppleCare although now it looks like I may have made a mistake there. Several months ago I started getting "Service Battery" warnings that would come and go. For the past couple of months it's just stuck on "Service Battery." The system reports that the battery currently has 438 cycles on it and I'm still getting around 4-5 hours of battery out of it. It seems to get warmer than it used to as well but other than that I haven't noticed anything weird.

I originally chalked all this up to the battery getting old so I looked into how much it would cost to replace it, figuring that this is a pretty routine thing. I thought it was $129 since that's the only number I can find on Apple's website but I asked a nearby not-official Apple store and they quoted me $229. They told me that the new batteries are made of special materials and that's why they cost so much. They also said my battery must be defective because they are supposed to last 1000 cycles or something. :confused:

So I have two questions . . . Firstly, are these guys right or are they trying to rip me off/feed me bullshit? Secondly, what should I do? Should I just stick with this battery until it totally fails or would replacing it soon be worthwhile? Does "Service Battery" mean something significant besides "give Steve Jobs' ghost your money?" If it was $129 I'd probably just do it but now I'm wondering if it's worth it given the thing's age/value and the fact that the battery isn't really visibly acting up.

Well, those batteries are rated to last for 1000 charge cycles and the official Apple replacement should be $129, definitely not anywhere near the $229 that place quoted you. Do you have a real Apple store nearby?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

1997 posted:

Well, those batteries are rated to last for 1000 charge cycles and the official Apple replacement should be $129, definitely not anywhere near the $229 that place quoted you. Do you have a real Apple store nearby?

I can get to a real one, yes. The one I visited IS listed on their website as an authorized provider . . . Does that mean much or can pretty much anyone snag that title? Anyway, thanks for your answer, looks like I should just take it in and get it looked at if it's supposed to last 1000 cycles.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

HondaCivet posted:

I can get to a real one, yes. The one I visited IS listed on their website as an authorized provider . . . Does that mean much or can pretty much anyone snag that title? Anyway, thanks for your answer, looks like I should just take it in and get it looked at if it's supposed to last 1000 cycles.

They may be an AASP, but they aren't run by Apple by any means. Leave them some feedback on consultants.apple.com if you can.

Whoever you talk to at the Apple store is going to run a specific test for the battery that will determine if the battery has an issue or if it has been used as expected. The test is customer facing and you should be able to see the results. Even though you have less than 1000 cycles, it does't mean they're just gonna replace it but it's definitely worth getting an appointment for.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The battery has a 1 year warranty. Beyond that you're expected to pay for replacements. I'd say yours has held up well and most laptop batteries will need replacing after 3 years.

Apple only started advertising that their batteries last for 5 years when they switched to integrated batteries.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

1997 posted:

They may be an AASP, but they aren't run by Apple by any means. Leave them some feedback on consultants.apple.com if you can.

Whoever you talk to at the Apple store is going to run a specific test for the battery that will determine if the battery has an issue or if it has been used as expected. The test is customer facing and you should be able to see the results. Even though you have less than 1000 cycles, it does't mean they're just gonna replace it but it's definitely worth getting an appointment for.

If they are trying to rip me off I will definitely leave feedback on them. $100 over MSRP, what the hell.* <:mad:> Thanks again for the help, just made a Genius Bar (god I hate saying that) appointment.

*It was also going to take like 3-7 days to get it done . . . Now I'm guessing they take your money, pay a real Mac store to change the battery, then pocket the $100. :cool:

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 14, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It sounds like that service center thinks you have one of the newer Macbooks with integrated batteries. With yours there's no servicing required. You pop the battery out and put in the new one. It takes 5 seconds.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Mu Zeta posted:

It sounds like that service center thinks you have one of the newer Macbooks with integrated batteries. With yours there's no servicing required. You pop the battery out and put in the new one. It takes 5 seconds.

It's a late 2009 model (6,1) with the plastic unibody so it has a non-removeable battery. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong because that would be awesome.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yours does have the integrated battery then. Make that appointment, the Apple site says they can replace it same day.

I never knew there was a unibody plastic Macbook. How the heck did they make that?

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Yours does have the integrated battery then. Make that appointment, the Apple site says they can replace it same day.

I never knew there was a unibody plastic Macbook. How the heck did they make that?
Probably a lot easier than making the aluminum ones :v:

I'd guess just have a mold and dump plastic into it like any other plastic molded part.