Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wouldn't they still have to re-do certain digital effects? I thought that was the big sticking point for series like Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop. Even if the the animation cels are remastered and scanned at 1080p, the digital effects would have to be re-rendered to match the animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hatter106 posted:

:siren: ESCAFLOWNE on Blu-ray in Japan, Feb. 2012! :siren:

Oh god this is my favorite series ever. I hope it's not upscaled rubbish, I will import it in a second.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSS

Nate RFB posted:

Wouldn't they still have to re-do certain digital effects? I thought that was the big sticking point for series like Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop. Even if the the animation cels are remastered and scanned at 1080p, the digital effects would have to be re-rendered to match the animation.

I don't remember a lot of CG in Escaflowne, the movie has a ton though. Regardless this should come out looking fairly loving magnificent.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Infinitum posted:

I don't remember a lot of CG in Escaflowne, the movie has a ton though. Regardless this should come out looking fairly loving magnificent.
I think some of the guymelef effects such as the invisibility cloaks and the liquid metal stuff in the cockpits were CG. I want to say the fire shots they fired sometimes were CG too, but it's been a long time since I've seen it.

Regardless, this is almost certainly guaranteed to look better than the awful R1 DVDs I have so... :toot:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Oh jesus christ, hopefully this doesn't turn into a kara no kyoukai price situation. Still bitter about that. Love that series.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Very excited to see that. I really enjoyed that series.

Also, from looking around that site, it appears Howl's moving castle and Tales from earthsea (gedo senki) Are getting Blu ray releases in November. They carry the trademark ghibli BD case. Are these the latest ones after Laputa, or was there a release in between I missed?

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Very excited to see that. I really enjoyed that series.

Also, from looking around that site, it appears Howl's moving castle and Tales from earthsea (gedo senki) Are getting Blu ray releases in November. They carry the trademark ghibli BD case. Are these the latest ones after Laputa, or was there a release in between I missed?

In July, both the newest Ghibli movie Arriety and Whisper of the Heart werer released.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

gently caress yesssss escaflowne.

There were some really sparse and kind of crappy CG effects; no objects, luckily. Unlikely but it would be cool if they just redid the; Unlike Cowboy Bebop there are much less prevalent.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Nice to hear the good version of Escaflowne (i.e. the tv series) will finally get a BR release. Though unless it's an unexpectedly reasonable price, I'll wait for somebody in the US to hopefully release it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

So the rumor that Master Keaton, Borgman, Berserk and GPX Cyper Formula are getting BD box sets are true.

I'm really happy about Borgman being true because that was never released on DVD officially. I've wanted to watch it for a while now but all that's out there is the VHS rips.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Guyver posted:

So the rumor that Master Keaton, Borgman, Berserk and GPX Cyper Formula are getting BD box sets are true.

I'm really happy about Borgman being true because that was never released on DVD officially. I've wanted to watch it for a while now but all that's out there is the VHS rips.

Master Keaton?!? Seriously?!
Holy poo poo, I was just about to mention how that is one series that is in desperate need of a re-issue, considering how the DVDs (R1 anyway) had the single worst transfer I'd ever seen in my life. They bumped up the sharpness to 500% and called it a day. It's god-awful.

Great news.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Hatter106 posted:

Master Keaton?!? Seriously?!
Holy poo poo, I was just about to mention how that is one series that is in desperate need of a re-issue, considering how the DVDs (R1 anyway) had the single worst transfer I'd ever seen in my life. They bumped up the sharpness to 500% and called it a day. It's god-awful.

Great news.

Agreed, I love Master Keaton and am glad to see this. I guess the manga never made it over, did it?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Does anyone have a good site for news on the ghibli blu's getting a disney US release? Is there any news about them? All the ghibli sites I can find are either way outdated or only talk about the japan releases.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
If there is any news. Animenewsnetwork would have it.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....
Toradora! has finally gotten a release date of 12/21/2011 for a 6 disc box (4,4,5,6,6 episodes per disc and extras disc). It'll contain the SOS shorts and live action extras that weren't included on the NA set. Price is 39,900 yen, which is the same as Haruhi and Lucky Star. No subtitles will be included.

Most importantly, this box will have an OVA made for this box. No details have been released, but Starchild will be putting out details sometime between now and the release date.

It is an upscale, but they're using Sony's latest technology. Here is a sample image and here are some blown-up comparison images.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Looks like Arrietty is getting a US theatrical release in Feb 12, so expect a blu ray release around...summer sometime. Also noticed there's a new listing for the complete eden of the east series. It's coming out at the end of Dec. Anyone know the story on this? It looks like the same thing as the series set they released a year ago.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Are they the two movies? Eden of the East had two movies made to wrap up the series.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Kingtheninja posted:

Looks like Arrietty is getting a US theatrical release in Feb 12, so expect a blu ray release around...summer sometime. Also noticed there's a new listing for the complete eden of the east series. It's coming out at the end of Dec. Anyone know the story on this? It looks like the same thing as the series set they released a year ago.

It's a re-release of the series that's a bit cheaper than the Blu-Ray or DVD set initially released and it's also a combo pack (DVD/Blu-Ray)

FUNimation has gone on record saying re-releases always give a spike in sales. So it's not surprising.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I was thinking on getting a tv show on bluray and thought of Yu Yu Hakusho. Supposedly the transfer is pretty great, but what about the actual show? I've never seen it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's very, very 90's long-running shounen. When I was young, I used to think of it as "DBZ for the cool kids", since it had the usual sort of appeal in terms of fights and power-ups but was a lot darker. Even now I have a lot of nostalgia for it, although it has aged animation-wise about as well as you'd expect. The end to the Sensui arc is really dumb (though the arc itself was fun), and everything after that is pretty lackluster. But I still think everything prior to that was pretty enjoyable, and also I still think YYH holds the distinction amongst shounen as having the best arc-based Tournament ever conceived.

That said, when it comes to works by Togashi, I adamantly prefer it over Hunter x Hunter (mostly because it loving finishes and actually goes somewhere).

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
I actually tried to rewatch Yu Yu Hakusho last/this year. I love the early episodes, and it has a great sense of style and character, but it gets very, very dull very fast. People always talk about the Dark Tournament, but most of the fights are quite dull, and they're all very badly animated. They stretched the budget of this show so thin that they often reanimated scenes from previous episodes in the 1-2 minute recap each episode. It was also much longer than it needed to be. It actually looks pretty good otherwise.

The Sensui arc wasn't that bad, and the end (I mean the very end, Yusuke's 'transformation') was pretty cool. All of the arcs except for the first few drag out far too long.

I quit watching before the final tournament started because they were just chatting about power levels (literally) and few of the new characters were interesting.

About the transfers:
The US DVDs are awful. They're quite grainy, way too dark, and shaky. The Japanese DVDs are actually much better. The Japanese Blu-ray looks fantastic though; hopefully the US versions use the same master.

Those Toradora images look great. I don't know how they're making that upscaled image look so good, but I hope they start using it for everything.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I thought Flame of Recca did 90's Tournament anime a hell of a lot better than Yu Yu Hakusho ever did.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Infinitum posted:

I thought Flame of Recca did 90's Tournament anime a hell of a lot better than Yu Yu Hakusho ever did.
I hated the Flame of Recca anime for that very tournament :colbert: Literally, "what the gently caress, this sucks and is totally ripping off YYH."

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I thought Flame of Recca was amazing when I was in high school.

I tried to watch it again ten years later, oh god what a mistake.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

B-b-b-b-but Dragonball Z is a masterpiece, I remember watching it as a kid! I'll go back and watch this fine quality work again right now to prove you all wron... oh

:negative:

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO

arisu posted:

I thought Flame of Recca was amazing when I was in high school.

I tried to watch it again ten years later, oh god what a mistake.

This happened to me recently with Tenchi Muyo. :negative:

doomisland posted:

Are they the two movies? Eden of the East had two movies made to wrap up the series.

Phff, the second movie doesn't wrap up poo poo, it leaves it wide open :mad:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

I just watched through the OVAs again and then finally watched the last one that came out like... 10 years later.

I thought it was pretty fun, the last OVA was bad though, mostly because it introduced a lot of stuff that went absolutely nowhere, and it had a different animation style :geno:. Also it contradicts Tenchi Muyo in Love, which has the superior mom :colbert:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

Well obviously. There's no need for it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Creeping through the BR.com forums, found a post regarding ghibli:

digitalbits posted:

Disney has revealed that they're going to be repromoting their previous Studio Ghibli DVD and Blu-ray animated releases on 2/5, presumably tied to their 2/17 theatrical release of Ghibili's 2010 animated film The Secret World of Arrietty. Titles included are Castle in the Sky, The Cat Returns, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, My Neighbors the Yamadas, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Pom Poko, Ponyo, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Tales from Earthsea and Whisper of the Heart, most of which have been released here in the States on DVD only. We would HOPE that more of them will find their way to Blu-ray in 2012, either in February or later in the year when The Secret World of Arrietty arrives on Blu-ray and DVD. We've begun asking around, so we'll let you know if we hear anything.

Really not sure what this means for disney releasing more blu's, but hopefully something will come out in February. I'm almost resigned to never seeing anymore US blu ray ghibli releases.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Man, if Whisper of the Heart comes out on blu-ray, that's instantly mine.

L-O-N fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 28, 2011

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Out of the movies listed there, I think around nine are on blu ray in japan (including arrietty). It's intensely frustrating to know that so many titles are waiting to be transferred over, but I guess at the very least we can expect arrietty on blu ray sometime in the summer.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

Kingtheninja posted:

Out of the movies listed there, I think around nine are on blu ray in japan (including arrietty). It's intensely frustrating to know that so many titles are waiting to be transferred over, but I guess at the very least we can expect arrietty on blu ray sometime in the summer.

And for what it's worth, they all have English subtitles and in some cases English audio. The only problem is that you're paying, with shipping, $90-100 per movie.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Which sucks, those covers are so awesome I'd easily spend that much on them if I could. As it is, the only one willing to do that for is princess mononoke.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Well here's something to look forward to.

More importantly than this, I'd assume a DYRL? transfer cannot be too far behind!!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I don't know, I'm all for macross on blu, but can they really make it look good? There's a bunch of muddled shots in that show, I feel like it'd be really difficult to sharpen it up. Then again I know almost nothing of the transfer process.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Didn't see it mentioned but Redline is coming out on Bluray this month. (in case you don't visit cinema discission)

We should also be getting The World God Only Knows this month but you really should wait for a price drop on it. It's only the first season (12 episodes) and it's got an MSRP of 10 bucks, with the lowest preorder price on amazon being 49.99.

Sengoku Basara 2 out next month as well. Expensive at the moment, but it could drop fast.

2012 is looking good for US domestic anime releases, especially if ghibli releases start picking up. If I were you, I'd wait until Amazon does an anime sale (last year they did this and Basara season 1 was down to like 23 bucks for the bluray set and a lot of other series were in the $25 range.)

edit: I guess Zorak would want this mentioned :siren: BUY REDLINE :siren:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ineffiable posted:

We should also be getting The World God Only Knows this month but you really should wait for a price drop on it. It's only the first season (12 episodes) and it's got an MSRP of 10 bucks, with the lowest preorder price on amazon being 49.99.

My copy is on hold for me at Rightstuf for 38$

Fun fact with Rightstuf. If you order in advance and they run a studio sales that knocks the price down before it gets sent out, just e-mail them and they'll change the price. I order a month or 2 in advance for the things I want and as the various sales take place I keep e-mailing so my order gets cheaper and cheaper.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Creeping through the BR.com forums, found a post regarding ghibli:

Really not sure what this means for disney releasing more blu's, but hopefully something will come out in February. I'm almost resigned to never seeing anymore US blu ray ghibli releases.

Whatever Ghibli Blu's get released in the US, I will purchase at some point. You listening, Disney?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I just remembered that Master Keaton got a Blu-ray box in Japan last year. Man, that was a great series, but had an abysmal DVD transfer.
I'm so glad they're giving it the HD treatment!
After all, it's selling for 42,000 yen ($545 USD), it must be worth it, right?

:stonk:

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hatter106 posted:

I just remembered that Master Keaton got a Blu-ray box in Japan last year. Man, that was a great series, but had an abysmal DVD transfer.
I'm so glad they're giving it the HD treatment!
After all, it's selling for 42,000 yen ($545 USD), it must be worth it, right?

:stonk:

Burn the anime industry to the ground. You know how you see 5 new copies of a book on amazon and 4 of them are under 20 dollars and one is 500? It's like an actual medium being controlled entirely by that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Rakugoon posted:

Burn the anime industry to the ground. You know how you see 5 new copies of a book on amazon and 4 of them are under 20 dollars and one is 500? It's like an actual medium being controlled entirely by that guy.

The price isn't the main issue with this release, sadly.

• Locked thread