Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

RBX posted:

I know you might get this question a lot but i'll ask anyway: is it cool if I skip Fallout/Baldur's Gate/Icewind dale 1 and just get the sequel to those 3? Or would it be better to just get the first? Never played any of them.

You don't need to play the first on any of them. I love playing the first BG before the sequel because it allows me to import my character and have some additional bad rear end items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

GreenNight posted:

You don't need to play the first on any of them. I love playing the first BG before the sequel because it allows me to import my character and have some additional bad rear end items.

Yeah, there are also some cool mods that turn BG and BG2 into one relatively seamless game.

That being said, BG is a pretty frustrating game if you've never played it before. If you're not exactly into dying to wolves on the road 10 minutes into the game or having no skills/spells for the first few hours of gameplay feel free to skip it and go to BG2 where the quests and combat are both much more fun and interesting.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Quick question guys: how good is Ultima 7? Is this the game that inspired UO? And finally, how does it compare to the Black Isle/Bioware games?

Get it. Ultima VII is just fantastic. It doesn't really compare to the Black Isle/Bioware games especially on a mechanical level. When I first played them I was disappointed at how they didn't have that Ultima feel as that was a major factor in my trying them out after the disaster of U9. Combat doesn't really matter in U7 like it does in those games. In fact I would really just consider U7 to be more of a graphical adventure-rpg hybrid than a pure rpg. It's main strengths are it's setting and story.

The key thing when playing is just to immerse yourself in the world. Talk to people (each person is unique and has their own story), bake some bread, get arrested by the guards for moving the wrong item while baking bread, step into a moongate and try and find out where you are and how to get back to where you where, paint a picture, hand translate runic road signs, drag a cannon across the city in order to blow open a shed to get at a magic weapon, or if you play the game long enough find out where the missing key is, answer the questions of life and death, cast the Armageddon spell and talk to the survivors, rob the bank and steal everything that isn't nailed down.

I know it's mainly nostalgia but to me the other open world rpgs such as the TES series are only just starting to catch up with U7. I just wish we could have a competent developer make new and better sequels to the franchise.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

RBX posted:

I know you might get this question a lot but i'll ask anyway: is it cool if I skip Fallout/Baldur's Gate/Icewind dale 1 and just get the sequel to those 3? Or would it be better to just get the first? Never played any of them.
I haven't played all of them, so I might be mistaken, but I don't think there's any significant carryovers between the two Fallouts or between the two Icewind Dales. However, with the original IWD using 2nd edition AD&D rules, and the sequel using the 3rd edition ruleset, you might find it worthwhile to try both.

As for the Baldur's Gate series, there is nothing to stop you from skipping the first, but if you do you'll probably go "who the hell are these people and what's all this stuff about my player character". And although the original is indeed clunkier and more basic in many respects than the sequel, there's more to explore at your leisure, and I've always liked its slightly more whimsical and light-hearted atmos. If you do decide to play BG1, I recommend you get BG1Tutu/EasyTutu. This essentially imports the whole of the first game into the second's engine, which offers a number of advantages.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

al-azad posted:

I've done it. Thanks to a combination of major sales over the past 3 years, I officially own everything on GoG. I'll never be able to play all these old games.

I should start a blog or an LP. "Let's Actually Play the 200 something games collecting virtual dust on your virtual shelf."

You don't own everything unless you also own Colin McRae Rally, TOCA Race Driver and Operation Flashpoint, and downloaded them before they took them away permanently!

(But seriously, everything? Even MOO3?)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Am I a bad person for disliking the Baldur's Gate games? AD&D is a mess of a system and not getting to make my own party is painful to my Might and Magic roots.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

THE BAR posted:

Am I a bad person for disliking the Baldur's Gate games? AD&D is a mess of a system and not getting to make my own party is painful to my Might and Magic roots.

The NPC's is why I like the game so much. I can't stand making my own party - they have zero personality.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

THE BAR posted:

Am I a bad person for disliking the Baldur's Gate games?
Yes. I understand your reasons, but you are still a Bad Person.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Putting in your party's personality can be done in your own mind. Actively roleplaying the game while making dialogue for your characters in your thoughts is actually more immersive for me than most characters you find in RPGs. I do like the BG characters, but, more often than not, they just seem like a nuisance for my own plans.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

THE BAR posted:

Putting in your party's personality can be done in your own mind. Actively roleplaying the game while making dialogue for your characters in your thoughts is actually more immersive for me than most characters you find in RPGs. I do like the BG characters, but, more often than not, they just seem like a nuisance for my own plans.

That crap is why I never liked D&D. I don't want to play make believe with my own thoughts. I guess that's why I read a lot of books.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

THE BAR posted:

I have a rubbish imagination and thus much prefer reading other peoples stories.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
It would appear that we killed GOG. Again.

OlMaster
May 12, 2008
Are Space Quest 4+5+6 easy to pick up if I've not played 1+2+3?

I've heard the first three are old school and dick you around a lot with cheap deaths and unwinnable outcomes if you miss an item at the beginning of the game, which I don't really have the patience for. Is this accurate?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

OlMaster posted:

I've heard the first three are old school and dick you around a lot with cheap deaths and unwinnable outcomes if you miss an item at the beginning of the game, which I don't really have the patience for. Is this accurate?

To a lesser extent, but it still happens. It's first class Sierra bullshit punishment all the way down.

I still enjoyed 5, though.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I've been looking at Master of Orion 1 and 2 and Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri for a while now, but I literally have 3 dollars and some change in my bank account. Both look really cool to me but I'm not sure which to go for. If I had a leaning I suppose it would be twoards master of orion. Is having both games nessacary or will I only ever boot up the second one?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Is the Dungeons & Dragons Anthology for $20 on Gamersgate the lowest price it's going to get?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

OlMaster posted:

You'll miss a few jokes but it's not too bad. And if the 1+2+3 collection has the 1 remake then it's pretty good (and is the basis for a joke in 4, which my teenage memories peg as being the funniest one). I thought 6 was pretty unfunny, though.

quote:

IIRC SQ2 is the really bad one. As memory serves you can endgame-gently caress yourself by the 5th screen or so. Most of the solutions are total horseshit, too (burn in hell RUB BERRIES ON BODY). gently caress you Sierra Hint Line SO HARD.

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I've been looking at Master of Orion 1 and 2 and Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri for a while now, but I literally have 3 dollars and some change in my bank account. Both look really cool to me but I'm not sure which to go for. If I had a leaning I suppose it would be twoards master of orion. Is having both games nessacary or will I only ever boot up the second one?

I would vote for Alpha Centauri, specially if you like the civ series (pre-civ III).

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I've never played a civ game before 3 and I've barely played 3. Also I've heard combat in Master of Orion isn't that great late game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
They are both excellent (MOO2 and SMAC that is), if I had to choose I would probably pick SMAC but there's not much in it.

THE BAR posted:

You can make your own party :eng101:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Is having both games necessary or will I only ever boot up the second one?

Both have their merits. The first game has big ol' fleets and a much slicker planet management, but the second has Civ-style city (planet) building and the combat centers around individual ships with the hero system from Master of Magic. (spoiler: it collapses into big ol' fleets of single ships in the endgame)

The graphics on the second one are also really pretty. The first game has those charming 320x200 256 color pixels.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 12, 2011

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

I think MOO 1 & 2 are both fantastic. I actually probably like the first one better, but it's more simplistic than MOO 2.

I don't hate Alpha Centauri, but it's basically Civ 2 in space as far as I'm concerned. If you don't like civilization much you probably won't love it.

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

I've never played a civ game before 3 and I've barely played 3. Also I've heard combat in Master of Orion isn't that great late game.

Alpha Centauri is, imo, what civ III should have been. Deformable terrain, customizable units, "random" events that actually affect the game.

MOO's late combat does end up as "who can build the most death-spheres", however, it's the other 99% of the game that makes it fun.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Alright boys, Dungeon Keeper and Alpha Centauri. You tell me they're good, but how do they play?

I grew up with Civ II and heard Call to Power II was like it, but it didn't hook me. Now I hear Alpha Centauri is like it, and I'm worried.

RBX posted:

Both Fallout games are pretty self-contained, but compliment one another in little ways. You don't need to have played the original to "Get" the sequel, but you'll be missing out on some of the finer things in life. Personally, I'd recommend playing both. The basic game mechanics aren't radically different between them, so it's not like you'll be unable to go back to Fallout after Fallout 2.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
^^^Yup, figures.

RBX posted:

I wouldn't recommend skipping over the first Fallout. Not that doing so would make Fallout 2 any less fun, but mechanically the games are almost identical. Much more so than Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale and their sequels.

Fallout arguably has the better story and pacing of the two as well.

EDIT: So are the Earthworm Jim ports pretty lovely or what? Vaguely recall some discussion about them earlier in the thread.

Antignition fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 12, 2011

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I became interested in TOCA Race Driver when I heard Tiff Needell did narration for it, but now I can't get it. It's not even on Steam either :(

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can make your own party :eng101:

Pardon?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

THE BAR posted:

Pardon?

Start the game as a multiplayer game, if I recall.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

This. Connection mode is irrelevant.

My "multiplayer" games had a few snags, though, the most annoying being the spacebar pause taking two keystrokes to connect. To avoid them all, just save the started game and move the savegame folder from the mpsave folder to the single player one.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Antignition posted:

I wouldn't recommend skipping over the first Fallout. Not that doing so would make Fallout 2 any less fun, but mechanically the games are almost identical. Much more so than Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale and their sequels.

Fallout arguably has the better story and pacing of the two as well.
I agree with this. FO2 isn't a bad game by any means, but I've always preferred the first one – it's grittier, much less of a pain to get started in, and just feels more coherent as a whole.

Also, as petty as it may be, the inferior quality (animation-wise in particular) of the NPC models added in the sequel always dragged it down a bit for me.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

Is Driver PL better than Driver 3? Yeah.

Is it better than, or equal to, GTA III? Not really.

Is it anywhere near as good as Vice City or San Andreas (or even the Stories spinoffs or IV for that matter)? Absolutely not.

And Simcity 2000 had some killer music, though the Win/Mac versions are much better orchestrated than the DOS version which GOG.com sells.

There's some Simcity 2000 Music Chat earlier in this thread (revised opinion here).

Cool, thanks. The music of Simcity 2000 windows edition was strangely more important to me than the actual game, so screw that.

Is Scratches scary? I mean, Dark Fall 1/2 weren't scary whatsoever, because nothing happens.

Wish there were more Amnesia: Dark Descent style games. :(

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 12, 2011

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Gadzooks! This looks very promising, thanks!

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Cool, thanks. The music of Simcity 2000 windows edition was strangely more important to me than the actual game, so screw that.

Is Scratches scary? I mean, Dark Fall 1/2 weren't scary whatsoever, because nothing happens.

Wish there were more Amnesia: Dark Descent style games. :(

It's a little bit more scary then the Dark Fall games. There is one really good scare in it. I didn't really like it, but I'm no fan of Myst-style adventure games.
The only scary point and click adventure I played lately was "The Last Crown", it's by the same guy who did the Dark Fall series, but it's far, far better.
Hope it comes to GoG someday.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Bad Seafood posted:

Alright boys, Dungeon Keeper and Alpha Centauri. You tell me they're good, but how do they play?

I grew up with Civ II and heard Call to Power II was like it, but it didn't hook me. Now I hear Alpha Centauri is like it, and I'm worried.

Call to Power II wasn't made by Civilization people. Alpha Centauri was. You can tell.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Might & Magic 6 pack and 8 (had 7 previously), Realms of the Haunting, Unreal Tournament GOTY (thats the 4th copy i own now) and Ultima VII. That should be it this christmas with GOG oh and Empire Gold for Free, not bad :frogbon:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Hank Morgan posted:

:pcgaming:

I think you just sold me on the game, pal. I was afraid that since The Avatar or Homedude or whatever is supposedly some sort of paragon of virtue I wouldn't be able to mess around and cause hell in quite the way I'd like.

OlMaster posted:

They're a bit self-referential I think. You're not missing out on tons, but you're going to miss a joke now and then. For what it's worth I got way, way into 5 way back when.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

Meldonox posted:

I think you just sold me on the game, pal. I was afraid that since The Avatar or Homedude or whatever is supposedly some sort of paragon of virtue I wouldn't be able to mess around and cause hell in quite the way I'd like.

You really should read Nakar's LPs, they're some of the finest threads ever written.

The virtue stuff is basically biggest in 4, and gets less and less relevant as the series continues. And in 4, being a paragon of virtue involves stuff like robbing a kindly blind merchant blind(er), then selling the stuff, coming back, and overpaying for more stuff - and still turning a profit :black101:

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

Haven't played Pure Pinball 2: Redux yet, but will probably pick it up if/when it goes on sale and post an updated trip report.

Picked it up, so here's the trip report:

It's Dream Pinball with somewhat better tables that feel slightly more alive. Which isn't exactly saying much. They all have that Budget Title Feel to them (maybe it's the fonts, maybe it's the really anemic voiceovers, maybe it's a little bit of both).

It's not a waste of $3, but for God's sake just download Future Pinball and find some tables that interest you or play the Williams Collection on PS3 or something.

uncle wrinkles fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 12, 2011

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Unreal Tournament GOTY

That's still being played online?

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

THE BAR posted:

That's still being played online?

If you like Facing Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Toadsniff posted:

If you like Facing Worlds.

Or other maps playing with goons. UT99 is also a game that even netbooks can run smooth and really easy to set up lan matches.