Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Finished my second animation ever! This time, I wanted to experiement with movement and expressions a bit more, and I'm quite happy with the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJJ3ZSe7uOk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
Working on a little motion graphics project with a friend of mine. Still very much in the planning stages. I'd forgotten how fun after effects was.

http://vimeo.com/33027528

BaShildy
Nov 12, 2004

Hollywood is filled with bad ideas, and so am I

Kikka posted:

Finished my second animation ever! This time, I wanted to experiement with movement and expressions a bit more, and I'm quite happy with the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJJ3ZSe7uOk

Congrats. Next time try making the second character interact more with the primary and object. Right now Bowser doesn't really move before getting smashed.

It seems you got some basics down of weight transfer, stretch/squash. Good luck on your next project.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

raging bullwinkle posted:

Working on a little motion graphics project with a friend of mine. Still very much in the planning stages. I'd forgotten how fun after effects was.

FFFUUU I could use some tips on this. Everything I do in After Effects is tedious, slow, and boring.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

redjenova posted:

FFFUUU I could use some tips on this. Everything I do in After Effects is tedious, slow, and boring.

I don't know how far along you are, but it pretty much all happens in the graph editor.

http://i.imgur.com/g1FYY.gif
Pink = scale, blue = rotation.

Not a particularly great example, but you can at least see how the curves affect the the animation. The steeper the curve, the quicker things happen. Just take what you already know about traditional animation (anticipation, etc.), and apply it to the curves. Clicking the easy-ease button isn't enough—this has to be done manually.

If you want me to elaborate on something, or if I didn't help at all, please let me know.

raging bullwinkle fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 4, 2011

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I'm a TOTAL After Effects beginner, so just pointing out that maybe I should try actually working in the graph editor was pretty helpful, haha. Thanks! I've got to tackle a kinetic type project here pretty soon and if it comes out not total crap, I'll try and post it here.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
Glad I could help.

Also, I don't know if you've heard of GreyscaleGorilla, but he has some pretty great beginner tutorials. They're actually what got me interested in motion graphics in the first place:
How to use simple shapes and masks to make an entire animation

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I've been designing a character for an animation I'm making currently. I've followed John K's guidelines to designing an efficient character for animation, and here's the design I have for my main character so far:

I'm pretty happy with him so far. He's also super fun to animate!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Kikka posted:

I've been designing a character for an animation I'm making currently. I've followed John K's guidelines to designing an efficient character for animation, and here's the design I have for my main character so far:

I'm pretty happy with him so far. He's also super fun to animate!

Looking good so far. Put more cushion drawings on the antic to slow it down.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I'm not entirely sure if the animation is a bit too fast due to Firefox; regardless, I agree. The jump from the crouched pose to the shocked one is a bit too jerky.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
To anyone who might work in Flash, I'm at the end of my rope.

I export a .swf file and it runs just fine and dandy at a decent frame rate. I go to export that as a Quicktime file (because .avi files suck from Flash) and it slows down at key moments (namely moments involving multiple tweens or masking effects)

Are there any settings I can adjust to make the Quicktime file not suck a big one? I tried exporting a .png sequence and recompiling it in QT, but it just crashes QT.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I had the same problem, and from the research I made, when you export a quicktime the computer is actually playing the movie and "print screen-ing" every frame, so if it slows down at any point it transfers to the quicktime.

I don't know if exporting on a faster computer would solve the problem, but you might want to try exporting a PNG sequence and then putting it together in Premiere or something else. However, that brings up the problem that Movie clips won't work so you have to convert them all to graphics beforehand which can be a pain in the rear end.

A third option is to export a .swf, import it to Premiere and then export it from there into a quicktime.

The Flash export tools are terrible, by far the worst part of the software. :argh:

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Yeah, Flash sucks at exporting anything other than SWF files. The workaround that I used (and the same one that the guys at Ghost Bot who did the Erin E-surance commercials used) was to export a lovely quicktime movie with full-quality sound, and then bring both that and the SWF into After Effeects, line them both up, turn off the visibility of the sound QT, and then export a quicktime from that.

Aftereffects can read the vector animations of the SWF perfectly, and can even keep the original vectors so you can scale your animation to any size you want with no loss of quality, but it can't read the sound info, which is why you export the crap quality quicktime movie first - to use as the soundtrack. The only limitations to this are that Aftereffects will ignore any actionscript, and it will also ignore any nested animations inside of movie clips. So, make sure all you use are graphic symbols and you should be fine.

Chernabog - I've been dealing with this problem for years, and it's nice to finally know the source of my frustration! Thanks for the explanation.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Kikka posted:

I'm not entirely sure if the animation is a bit too fast due to Firefox; regardless, I agree. The jump from the crouched pose to the shocked one is a bit too jerky.

I'm using Chrome and it's still fast.

I imported your GIF into TVPaint and it said the frame rate is 33.3 fps. When I slowed it down to 24 it looks much better.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Dodgeball posted:

To anyone who might work in Flash, I'm at the end of my rope.

I export a .swf file and it runs just fine and dandy at a decent frame rate. I go to export that as a Quicktime file (because .avi files suck from Flash) and it slows down at key moments (namely moments involving multiple tweens or masking effects)

Are there any settings I can adjust to make the Quicktime file not suck a big one? I tried exporting a .png sequence and recompiling it in QT, but it just crashes QT.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

When I had to do this in school, I would export as a sequence of images, then bring it into after effects and save it as a comp. After Effects has a couple of benefits to my personal work flow as I could do better scene changing (I hate working with multiple scenes in flash) and can do global color correction more easily. Plus, I've never really had an issue exporting from After Effects.

Actually, with Illustrator and the puppet tool After Effects, is there a reason to use flash for non-web motion graphics at all at this point? I'm not on my home computer right now so I can't check, but can't After Effects import .swf files now? Then you could export to a more desired format from there?

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I've been updating my blog regarding the Frederator pitch, but I feel bad shilling it here, so I'll recap.

Pitched, they said they liked it, wanted us to turn in another draft. Apparently, the guy that liked it is called "The pitch shredder" because he never likes pitches. Cool.

Anyways, I just submitted the final version of the Robot Head script to Fred Seibert for executive review.

If they approve, it'll be my first professionally done piece of animation, and my breakthrough into this world.

No pressure!

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

redjenova posted:

I'm a TOTAL After Effects beginner, so just pointing out that maybe I should try actually working in the graph editor was pretty helpful, haha. Thanks! I've got to tackle a kinetic type project here pretty soon and if it comes out not total crap, I'll try and post it here.

http://vimeo.com/33385520

Thanks again for the tips, raging bullwinkle, I'm going to check that out ASAP. In the meantime, here's my first project! Woo!

Basically I made this start to finish in five or six hours, just kind of made it up as I went along with zero planning involved. It's chock full of design/mo graph cliches but was a perfect opportunity to try and learn the program better by replicating stuff I've seen before. Since the semester's ending soon I'm probably going to give myself another project in a bit and really try branching out with it.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

Here's some animation testing for the character I posted a while back. I have since named him Rex.
Thanks to this character, I've fallen in love with frame-by-frame animation. He's just so fun to move around!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKMDlzUCTiA

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I've just finished my first year of 3D animation at a course, would you guys mind having a look at my final project?

http://vimeo.com/33394426

I thrive on critique, although I'm already aware her nose looks a bit like a peeled banana.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Question about importing image sequences into QT. Do I just select the first .png or is there another file I should be looking for? It doesn't let me multi-select anything, just single target.

The reason I ask is because QT just seems to lock up when I try to pick a png. Maybe I'm being impatient.

EDIT: Scratch that. Just noticed my that the exported PNG sequence doesn't play the movie clips right. Will Premiere actually play the animations for movie clips?

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 11, 2011

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Doug Tennapel removed me from his friends list because I said trigger warningdoctors shouldn't be allowed to deny help to rape victims because Jesus told them so.

Awkward.

Also, hearing back from Frederator once and for all this week. Hooray.

Digi_Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 12, 2011

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Dodgeball posted:

Question about importing image sequences into QT. Do I just select the first .png or is there another file I should be looking for? It doesn't let me multi-select anything, just single target.

The reason I ask is because QT just seems to lock up when I try to pick a png. Maybe I'm being impatient.

EDIT: Scratch that. Just noticed my that the exported PNG sequence doesn't play the movie clips right. Will Premiere actually play the animations for movie clips?

Probably not. If you're just making straight-up animations with no interactivity, you should really stick with Graphic symbols, since Flash ties the graphic timeline to the parent symbol, rather than making it independent like it does with Movie Clips.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Griff M. posted:

Doug Tennapel removed me from his friends list because I said trigger warningdoctors shouldn't be allowed to deny help to rape victims because Jesus told them so.

To be fair, Doug Tennapel is a gigantic fuckwit.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

gmc9987 posted:

Probably not. If you're just making straight-up animations with no interactivity, you should really stick with Graphic symbols, since Flash ties the graphic timeline to the parent symbol, rather than making it independent like it does with Movie Clips.

Yeah, at no point is there any interaction, these get uploaded to Youtube.

I converted all my movie clip symbols to Graphic symbols (in a back-upped copy of the .FLA) and the image sequence still doesn't render mouth/character movements in the symbol (tweens on the timeline still work, of course). Is there an additional step I should be taking? The SWF still works/looks fine, but it's the image sequencing that fucks up.

Is actionscript on the graphic symbol loving anything up? On the last frame in each symbol that involves mouth/movement, I have the stop script for that symbol.

By the way, thanks to everyone who provided advice; I really do appreciate the help. I've been stuck on this drat episode for so long, I'll be more than overjoyed once it's done and out.

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 12, 2011

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
It could be what's screwing it up, you never know with Flash. If you want better control over what frames your grpaphic symbols, check out the "looping" option in the properties whenever you have your symbol selected on the stage. You can set it to loop indefinitely, play once, or play a single frame. You can change that property at any keyframe, too.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

gmc9987 posted:

It could be what's screwing it up, you never know with Flash. If you want better control over what frames your grpaphic symbols, check out the "looping" option in the properties whenever you have your symbol selected on the stage. You can set it to loop indefinitely, play once, or play a single frame. You can change that property at any keyframe, too.

Trying this out, now. If I never have to hit F9 again, it'll be too soon.

I have some symbols that need to loop, like walk cycles, and some that need to stop on the last frame, like a line of dialogue, so this option will be a tremendous help.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Thanks everyone, I finally was able to pull this one out.

Particularly proud of the walk cycles and facial expressions in this one. There's a few hiccups here and there (spot the three lines in a row without mouth movements), but I'm just glad to be done with this one.

I'm going to go take a two week nap, now. Thanks again!

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Still waiting to hear back from Frederator, and until then I can't really start anything new in case I have to drop everything and start production on Robot Head.

So far, all the talk has been positive.

CABIN FEVER!!!

EDIT: I scheduled a 5 day sabbatical to Boston out of the blue to just bang out this short film pitch. Lets do this! :cthulhu:

Digi_Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 28, 2011

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

My friend and I released our first cartoon we're not completed embarrassed by last week for Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYE8VwEXn7A

I did the script and roughs, and he outlined and coloured it. We both did voicing. The overall narrative might be confusing as hell for some of you, but it's basically a "we're getting our game done next year!" program anyways, so don't pay too much attention to it!

My question is; how good is the animation and voicing? We want to do some more short toons next year, maybe even make a series of them, but we need to know what direction to go in. Thanks for watching! :)

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

korusan posted:

My friend and I released our first cartoon we're not completed embarrassed by last week for Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYE8VwEXn7A

I did the script and roughs, and he outlined and coloured it. We both did voicing. The overall narrative might be confusing as hell for some of you, but it's basically a "we're getting our game done next year!" program anyways, so don't pay too much attention to it!

My question is; how good is the animation and voicing? We want to do some more short toons next year, maybe even make a series of them, but we need to know what direction to go in. Thanks for watching! :)
I like the acting, the animation really fits the delivery of the lines. I think the character design and particularly the color design could be better. When it comes to limited animation, max out the assets you have to make them as appealing as possible. It doesn't have to be slick (in fact, I particularly like the organic linework of the designs you have), but try to bring your characters into a unified color scheme.

JohnK talks about the Flintstones a lot on his blog as an example of a limited animation show which was made extremely appealing and attractive by good character design, good color design and good acting:

Flash cartoons frequently suffer from computer-itis, where the colors are wayyyyy too "hot" and feel like they're glowing or vibrating against each other.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I think the problem was that these were characters from three completely different mediums I have that I put together and tried to make work. Kinda like Super Smash Bros. With what you said in mind though I'll make sure everyone in the main Monocle Ape cartoons are uniform. I'm noticing now what you mean about the colours - they're bright and acidic and would be great if I was on drugs but if I'm not they beat against the eyes. Thanks!

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005

raging bullwinkle posted:

You mind telling me exactly how you animated that sunburst that is being the cog and the ribbon? I'm sure it's a shape layer and a repeater - but I always have issues achieving exactly what I'm looking for with shape layer stuff.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Me and a certain animation goon in this thread are excitedly starting a full day's work in Boston for our new short. Hooray!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Here's a thing I made for my reel
http://youtu.be/Q6RNg98LHdg

I'm still rendering the ambient occlusion so it looks cooler.

Edit 2: http://youtu.be/FC8JyYZWCHA

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 4, 2012

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Griff M. posted:

Me and a certain animation goon in this thread are excitedly starting a full day's work in Boston for our new short. Hooray!

Goongrats!

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Matty D posted:

You mind telling me exactly how you animated that sunburst that is being the cog and the ribbon? I'm sure it's a shape layer and a repeater - but I always have issues achieving exactly what I'm looking for with shape layer stuff.

It's actually not a repeater. It's about 50 shape layers controlled by a couple of sliders. One slider adjusts the time offset and the other slider adjusts the rotation.

This tutorial will teach you pretty much everything you need to know: http://vimeo.com/19668371 (he doesn't make a sunburst, but all the same principles are there).

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Chernabog posted:

Here's a thing I made for my reel
http://youtu.be/Q6RNg98LHdg

I'm still rendering the ambient occlusion so it looks cooler.

Character design is fine (although the length of the bridge of the nose is kinda freakin me out) but some of the movements in the first few seconds are really jerky and the final jump at the end doesn't have any weight to it. It's good, it just needs a little more work to look professional.

When he adjusts his foot at 11 seconds in it happens way too fast and there's not a clear arc to it so it looks jerky. Try exaggerating that movement a bit more. Both the step in the middle and the jump at the end could be funny if they're a bit more exaggerated and look like there's some weight behind them.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 2, 2012

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks, that is all great advice (That I actually agree with, because I don't always do). I'll go back to fix those things. Except for the nose, it was a stylistic choice I made and some people have commented on it but at this point it's probably too late to do anything about it.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I've been thinking of trying out Stop motion animation as a hobby and I'm looking for a basic program for doing this.

Preferably freeware and without fancy complicating features. Just for stringing together a bunch of stills, duplicating frames and, uh, anything else that is integral to making stop motion movies. Is Windows Movie Maker adequate for this?

Googling around I mostly found sites trying to sell some specific software or sites with layouts from 96 and walls of texts. Did find a program called Monkey Jam but I'd rather not try to learn the program and set everything up only to realize it's somehow limited or there's some better software out there.

Also, I checked the creative resources thread but if there is some other obvious place here on SA I haven't looked at, slap me on the head and direct me there, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

Finished a preview for an upcoming animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj_LcOzq5Tc

Kikka fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 6, 2012