Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

DrakePegasus posted:

"YOU SUCK!!!"

Aren't most of these panels just reused from [S] Cascade?

Though I'm happy if there's an incoming PM fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
It's tricky to visually parse, but I think that frog hand is the dissolving remains of bilious slick B1, in the foreground of a shiny new, unharmed universe B2 that took his/its physical place in the troll session immediately on his demise.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
Look again at the panel of the Skaiapond. There's no new frog taking the old one's place. That arm is all that's left of B. Slick.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
I kind of thought that spherical lilypad filled representation was another aspect of a universe-frog. Now that you describe it as a pond it makes a lot more sense as just the place where a universe frog sits.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
Yeah, the way it made sense to me was that the Hero of Space breeds B. Slick, and then the battlefield/Skaia morphs into the pond to act as the incubator and home for him in the Incipisphere.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I wonder if there's going to be anything more than this? Sure, aging them 3 years to the same point as the post-scratch kids is handy, but essential? Hrmmmm.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh Serenity :D

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Am I the only one who read the three years scene as something that was going to be fixed? I guess it could go either way, and it would be useful to age them up.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Even if John and Jade actually do end up aging three years before we see them do anything else, that doesn't mean Dave and Rose have to do something for three years too. They're in the Furthest Ring, which is known for giving the finger to the concept of time, so simply by leaving the Green Sun and entering the new session, what appears to take them five minutes or whatever could wind up being three years when all is said and done.

DrakePegasus posted:

"YOU SUCK!!!"

Hahaha did you actually translate that or is that a guess? Hilarious if that's really what she's saying.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
I just realized, this may have been mentioned earlier but, after looking through a part of the adventure couldn't UU be http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005653? I dunno, it still seems weird that we never learned who that was (or if we did I just never learned who that was then)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Forer posted:

I just realized, this may have been mentioned earlier but, after looking through a part of the adventure couldn't UU be http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005653? I dunno, it still seems weird that we never learned who that was (or if we did I just never learned who that was then)

UU could be a gigantic Alternian law monster? Yeah, it's possible.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Bobulus posted:

All the trolls were fan-named, so I don't think we can give Andrew credit for that one.

You mean to tell me that fans came up with all these names that have other-language ties to the zodiac signs of each troll and the creatures they represent?

I thought the closest one to a fan-named troll was Gamzee, who was named after forums user Gammy.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

You mean to tell me that fans came up with all these names that have other-language ties to the zodiac signs of each troll and the creatures they represent?

I thought the closest one to a fan-named troll was Gamzee, who was named after forums user Gammy.

They were all named by fans. Andrew re-opened the suggestion box very briefly during each troll's introduction segment and picked the name he liked best.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

Well, the way it worked was that we knew each troll's Trollian handle, appearance, and zodiac affiliation before their suggestion boxes were opened for names. For those who appeared in act 4 like Karkat and Terezi even more was known about them. So the fans had a lot of time to think up 6 letter names for them. Then Andrew picked ones he liked, always mixing a first name from one suggestion with a last name from another.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Roger Explosion posted:

I wonder if there's going to be anything more than this? Sure, aging them 3 years to the same point as the post-scratch kids is handy, but essential? Hrmmmm.

Let's face it, a bunch of 16 year olds isn't going to listen to some 13 year old babies, gods or not. They are more liable to tell them to go sit at the little kid's table in the cafeteria. The one with the fat kid who breathes heavy and jams his finger into other people's hamburgers and says "are you gonna eat that?"

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Regy Rusty posted:

Well, the way it worked was that we knew each troll's Trollian handle, appearance, and zodiac affiliation before their suggestion boxes were opened for names. For those who appeared in act 4 like Karkat and Terezi even more was known about them. So the fans had a lot of time to think up 6 letter names for them. Then Andrew picked ones he liked, always mixing a first name from one suggestion with a last name from another.

drat. I'm genuinely impressed.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Then Andrew picked ones he liked, always mixing a first name from one suggestion with a last name from another.

This is true, with one exception. Karkat took the full name of the person who suggested it. (Who, if memory serves, is a goon) All the others had first and last names taken from different suggestions though.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
If everyone's going to age 3 years, it should turn out that you get a sprite upgrade on your 16th birthday, like Final Fantasy 1.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Let's face it, a bunch of 16 year olds isn't going to listen to some 13 year old babies, gods or not. They are more liable to tell them to go sit at the little kid's table in the cafeteria. The one with the fat kid who breathes heavy and jams his finger into other people's hamburgers and says "are you gonna eat that?"

To be honest, I thought it would have been hilarious to watch the alpha kids learn about a potentially life threatening situation from people who were 3 years younger than them.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
LONG JAUNT, JOHN! LONGER THAN YOU THINK!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Jazu posted:

If everyone's going to age 3 years, it should turn out that you get a sprite upgrade on your 16th birthday, like Final Fantasy 1.

There is a slight sprite difference between the 13-year old kids and the 16-year old kids, they're probably going to look a little older in both sprite and non-sprite forms.

After thinking about it, I'm willing to bet that they won't be able to see the others in their dreams (probably because, like with the green sun, they're "Between universes" and can't access them). Likewise, the other kids and trolls are probably going to undergo the three years delay so that they all match, and also to serve the narrative purpose of giving everyone three years to miss each other.

The time skip is a useful tool for a coming of age story, sine we've gotten to see a couple days of frantic activity on the part of the kids where they've made all these choices and had all these experiences. Giving them three years to simmer with it all is a good way to show how they've changed as a result of them.

It also - at the risk of touching on a delicate subject - sounds kind of like a prelude to more relationship stuff. When Hussie changed the starting age from 10 to 13 after Homestuck Beta, he remarked that it probably enabled the relationship stuff he ended up doing. Aging the kids right into the awkard mid-teens is probably going to take this logic even further. Not to mention the separation, which narratively might fit with a theme of "absence makes the heart grow fonder"...

I guess what I'm saying is we can probably expect more relationship rigmarole as a result of this time skip.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Being stuck on an empty spaceship flying through an empty void for three years with nobody around but your sister can't be good for social development.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Doc Uzuki posted:

Being stuck on an empty spaceship flying through an empty void for three years with nobody around but your sister can't be good for social development.

They have five planets to explore filled with denizens and life.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
They might still have internet too, we can't be sure that they can't communicate with the others.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

They'll have time to develop that brother/sister sniping sarcastic relationship rife with the small petty feuds that they previously missed out on having been separated by the Pacific Ocean. All they need is a video game console with a two-player game and they will be occupied trying to beat each other for years.

quote:

I guess what I'm saying is we can probably expect more relationship rigmarole as a result of this time skip.
Awesome. My favorite part of Homestuck :shepicide:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I can't help but think it'll cheapen the consequences of "Three years!" if they can still talk to Dave and Rose and the others, in their dreams or on the net. The idea of being separated for three years and finally getting to see each other again carries a lot more punch than basically going back to their pre-Sburb internet friendships.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
Is there any way to read the Homestuck Alpha? It'd be interesting to see the first draft, but he doesn't have it on his website as far as I can tell

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Mr. Pumroy posted:

They'll have time to develop that brother/sister sniping sarcastic relationship rife with the small petty feuds that they previously missed out on having been separated by the Pacific Ocean. All they need is a video game console with a two-player game and they will be occupied trying to beat each other for years.

Awesome. My favorite part of Homestuck :shepicide:

John's movie collection is still in his house on LOWAS. Jade has yet to see Con Air. Clearly this must be amended :buddy:

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Cyrai posted:

Is there any way to read the Homestuck Alpha? It'd be interesting to see the first draft, but he doesn't have it on his website as far as I can tell

If you mean the April 10th stuff, that's right here:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=5

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.

Cyrai posted:

Right here.

Commutator
Jul 17, 2009

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

Right here.

It's so... so smooth... :o:

Edit: I wasn't beaten to the link, no sir, no sir.

Commutator fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 12, 2011

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
While the "acquiesce" thing is clever, I always figured Equius was just plain substantifying the root word for horse in Latin because centaurs.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.

Zoolooman posted:

They have five planets to explore filled with denizens and life.

No, they're pretty much stuck on the ship unless they jump off. Jade even said first guardian powers have no effect in this gap between dimensions. Therefore she can't shrink/expand the planets, herself or John. Maybe if they had a microscope

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dias posted:

While the "acquiesce" thing is clever, I always figured Equius was just plain substantifying the root word for horse in Latin because centaurs.

It can be both of those things! Wordplay is fun like that.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Lord of Laughton posted:

No, they're pretty much stuck on the ship unless they jump off. Jade even said first guardian powers have no effect in this gap between dimensions. Therefore she can't shrink/expand the planets, herself or John. Maybe if they had a microscope

They have been a little vague as to how much of Jade's power is Witch of Space powers, and how much is inherited First Guardian powers. While she can't speed up or teleport the ship, she may still be able to grow and shrink items to some degree. Granted, we won't know for sure until she does it or says she can't.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Dolash posted:

I can't help but think it'll cheapen the consequences of "Three years!" if they can still talk to Dave and Rose and the others, in their dreams or on the net. The idea of being separated for three years and finally getting to see each other again carries a lot more punch than basically going back to their pre-Sburb internet friendships.

Really? I'd think just the opposite - that everyone being separated for three years would cheapen the payoff from all of the character development that the kids and trolls have been undergoing. Everyone's been frantically busy up through act 5, but have had lots of life-changing experiences and interpersonal tension that they need to come to terms with when they get some downtime. And waiting around for three years would provide a lot of downtime, to the point where it would be hard to believe that any of the emotional conflicts would be relevant anymore! John would have already have plenty of time to grieve his Dad's death and then heal from it, Vriska would just be a distant memory to him, and so on. If you've been waiting through all of Homestuck so far for everything that's happened John to sink in, that would seem like an incredibly unsatisfying way for it to happen.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Lord of Laughton posted:

I'm pretty sure First Guardian powers are supposed to be the super-physics powers, like faster-than-lightspeed travel (like teleporting!) Jade's own powers should include stuff like being able to shrink and enlarge stuff and move things around with her will alone.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

FrictionlessEmu posted:

Really? I'd think just the opposite - that everyone being separated for three years would cheapen the payoff from all of the character development that the kids and trolls have been undergoing. Everyone's been frantically busy up through act 5, but have had lots of life-changing experiences and interpersonal tension that they need to come to terms with when they get some downtime. And waiting around for three years would provide a lot of downtime, to the point where it would be hard to believe that any of the emotional conflicts would be relevant anymore! John would have already have plenty of time to grieve his Dad's death and then heal from it, Vriska would just be a distant memory to him, and so on. If you've been waiting through all of Homestuck so far for everything that's happened John to sink in, that would seem like an incredibly unsatisfying way for it to happen.

Consider though that we're probably not going to see the three years time-skip much, if at all, meaning that if they can all be in touch for three years then basically there's absolutely no interpersonal issue they won't have worked out off-screen when we see them again.

If, on the other hand, we skip ahead three years and the last time John and Rose and Dave and Jade saw each other involved one each of them dying in tragic circumstances, that's a lot of time to dwell on it and wonder what you'd want to say to them once you see them again - and we'd get to see it this way. Not everything would become irrelevant in the downtime, a lot of things would just simmer and become even weightier.

Heck, just for example, John's dad dying. He'll probably deal with his grief in the next three years off-camera, but since Rose isn't around then when they meet up again he might want to talk to her about it. Ask her how she dealt with the grief of losing her mother, give us a window into what both of them went through in the last three years. If they could talk on the internet though, they'd probably work that out just to pass the time at some point and we'd never see it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, Jade does have an array of board-game-based fetch modi. Who's up for Scrabble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

and here i was thinking the post scratch stuff was going to be boring.

Poor john and Jade, 3 years and not even any wizard fanfiction to read while waiting.