Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

night_chrono posted:

All I want I want is something wired, with adjustable DPI through buttons, a scroll wheel that "clicks", and a back and forward button on the side. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

This exactly describes the G400, if you choose not to get another 500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

night_chrono posted:

The packaging never mentioned that, and Best Buy didn't advertise that feature.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in fairness, i'm really not a fan of togglable scroll wheels, because I'm scared of some 2-cent part breaking and sticking me with a smooth wheel. (the toggle button always feels so flimsy)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fag Boy Jim posted:

in fairness, i'm really not a fan of togglable scroll wheels, because I'm scared of some 2-cent part breaking and sticking me with a smooth wheel. (the toggle button always feels so flimsy)
Logitech's customer support has an incredible reputation, you're basically guaranteed to get sent a replacement if that happens. Lots of people got that even many years out of warranty.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
When my MX518 broke I sent a picture of the mouse to Logitech and they sent me a G400.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I got my G500 in the mail a few days ago and it's an awesome mouse, close enough to the G5 which I loved but feels a little nicer. I'll have to take care of the cord this time since it caused me g5 to crap out after a couple years.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My 2nd G5 bit the dust due to the same cord problem my first one had. I emailed Logitech, and even though I was a year and a half out of warranty, they still let me send mine in to be replaced. I think that was the only imperfection with the G5 mouse. Logitech has always been great when it comes to customer service.

Updating this post to say that they're sending me a fresh G500.

buglord fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 9, 2011

night_chrono
Dec 10, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It should be noted that it was in a Best Buy store so all it didn't have all the info of the site, and that the packaging was fairly beat up. So I guess it was supposed to be there, but I got the shaft.

*EDIT*
Also:

Apparently not all the packaging mentions it.

night_chrono fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 5, 2011

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Logitech's customer support has an incredible reputation, you're basically guaranteed to get sent a replacement if that happens. Lots of people got that even many years out of warranty.
In my case I had a very quick response time when calling them on phone regarding a webcam (specifically whether Skype supported the Logitech C260's claimed 720p capability), and since we were both uncertain -- it may only be supported by Logitech Vid HD, which the customer rep stated was way worse than Skype -- he suggested that I simply return it and pay the difference for an officially Skype-endorsed one (cheapest is the HD C310, and since Skype doesn't support 1080p video calling it looks to be my best bet).

Chortles fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 5, 2011

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
Not sure if this is the right place. But with Christmas coming up I'm thinking of unloading some of my old audio hardware onto family.

Currently I use an Astro mix amp with it's fake dolby logic blah blah (http://www.astrogaming.co.uk/mixamp/mixamp-usb) , which apparently allows 5.1 to play over two stereo speakers/headset. (I have an older version)

Instead of using a headset I'm using these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harman-Kardon-Soundsticks-Channel-Multimedia/dp/B003ZXDOMA (Harmon Kardon Sticks III).

I'm thinking this set-up has been fine for me currently, would I see a big/vast improvement by getting a decent 5.1 receiver and speakers? Any recommendations which to get? I have about a 300 pound sterling budget. Any advice? Obviously this is for my gaming setup.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

night_chrono posted:

It should be noted that it was in a Best Buy store so all it didn't have all the info of the site, and that the packaging was fairly beat up. So I guess it was supposed to be there, but I got the shaft.

*EDIT*
Also:
[timg]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2357927/g500.png[timg]

Apparently not all the packaging mentions it.

It's still an obvious button on the mouse. "Hmm, what does this do?"

"Oh, I see."

It's just a funny thing. I'm not calling you an idiot or anything. Everyone has these moments.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Fag Boy Jim posted:

My MX Revolution wheel is quite wonderfully broken. If I use it at normal speed, it's clicky, but if I fling it, it spins freely. I love it.

Logitech were awesome for me too. Sent them a picture of it broken with the serial number and I had a new one a few days later.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

night_chrono posted:

The packaging never mentioned that, and Best Buy didn't advertise that feature. Of course the newegg page has it blatantly in the title.

Well I already returned it, guess I could always just order one from newegg for $15 cheaper.

Thanks all for the help.

:psyduck:

The button is literally 5mm below the scroll wheel. You didn't try pressing that button that because the package didn't mention anything about it?

Some people....

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Wicaeed posted:

:psyduck:

The button is literally 5mm below the scroll wheel. You didn't try pressing that button that because the package didn't mention anything about it?

Some people....

It took me an hour or two to figure out what it did. Every time I tried it, I pushed it, saw nothing happen, then pushed it again before going back to what I was doing.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Heh. Not to add to the pileup, but you didn't give the button a good look either, did you?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

360 wireless receivers for Windows stuff. Thanks for the tip. After failing a service call with Microsoft to get a new one, I put out an order for one of these.

I got one of these recently and it perfectly replicates the official one, there's some amusing irony in there somewhere. There is an installation gotcha for Windows 7 64bit though, you need to manually install the driver as auto-detect will fail. Plug it in, click on Manually select driver then browse or choose from existing driver. Then pick Windows Common Controller Class (I think) and select Microsoft 360 Receiver. Then you're good to go. If you ever change USB ports you'll need to repeat that procedure as well.

Frog
May 25, 2006
Ribbit

Walton Simons posted:

My MX Revolution wheel is quite wonderfully broken. If I use it at normal speed, it's clicky, but if I fling it, it spins freely. I love it.

Logitech were awesome for me too. Sent them a picture of it broken with the serial number and I had a new one a few days later.

Isn't that how it's supposed to work? Mine does exactly the same thing, and you can tune the 'normal/fling' force with Setpoint.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So I want to see if my Games For Windows Live Marketplace copy of Fable TLC will run on my netbook, but the Microsoft website only has a list of graphics cards its known NOT to run on(:psyduck:). Should an Intel GMA 950 cut it? It runs Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights, for reference.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Yeah, I think so - it's a port of the original xbox game, and I ran it on my laptop from 2007 fine.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So I want to see if my Games For Windows Live Marketplace copy of Fable TLC will run on my netbook, but the Microsoft website only has a list of graphics cards its known NOT to run on(:psyduck:). Should an Intel GMA 950 cut it? It runs Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights, for reference.
Just googling it brings up a lot of hits saying it runs but with poor (but playable) FPS.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Frog posted:

Isn't that how it's supposed to work? Mine does exactly the same thing, and you can tune the 'normal/fling' force with Setpoint.

Mine does,too. In all honesty, it is the thing I love most about the mouse. I used to worry about the scroll wheel breaking, but I got the thing a few years ago for Christmas, and it still works great. If, God forbid, it ever does break, are there any other mice with this same kind of feature? I know the 500 has it with the push button toggle, but I really like the auto-switch-depending-on-scroll-speed feature of the MX Revolution.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Threep posted:

Just googling it brings up a lot of hits saying it runs but with poor (but playable) FPS.

Yeah, I tried that, but reopening the tab I just noticed I typoed it. :doh: Thanks you two.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/n6a59/gsc_makers_of_the_stalker_and_cossacks_series/

I'm not sure if this is totally confirmed or not but the thought of no STALKER 2...:cry:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Amrosorma posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/n6a59/gsc_makers_of_the_stalker_and_cossacks_series/

I'm not sure if this is totally confirmed or not but the thought of no STALKER 2...:cry:

gently caress gently caress fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck noooo! I was looking forward to STALKER 2. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

On a whim, I picked up a Logitech M570 trackball from Fry's yesterday. Am I delusional if I want to hope to use this thing for (say) Skyrim or League of Legends or anything else, or can I get to mouse accuracy with practice?

It's a lot more comfortable on my poor wrist and better for desk space :unsmith:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Ledneh posted:

On a whim, I picked up a Logitech M570 trackball from Fry's yesterday. Am I delusional if I want to hope to use this thing for (say) Skyrim or League of Legends or anything else, or can I get to mouse accuracy with practice?

It's a lot more comfortable on my poor wrist and better for desk space :unsmith:

Trackballs work fine for gaming. You'll be a hair frustrated in shooters, not because of the form but because the sensitivity is less than 800 dpi. The advertising claims that it's adjustable up to 1200, but I've hunted and Googled and I'm not sure that anyone's figured out how to do it, if it is indeed possible. It'll be more than precise enough for Skyrim of League of Legends, though.

The M570 in particular seems to be the least bad option for a gaming trackball. Evidently you and I are the only two people who think that trackballs are cool any longer.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Ledneh posted:

I know a couple of people who swear by trackballs for gaming, and while I personally can't stand using one, those two were every bit as good as myself and my mouse cohorts at accuracy-dependent games like Counter Strike. No idea if that particular trackball is worth a drat though.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I'm using an M570 right now, in preference to the G400 sitting a foot away. Not that the G400 is bad, but the M570 is more pleasant. I practiced using the M570 playing New Vegas, so it should work with Skyrim, just know that you're going to spend a while getting used to it. It defaults to 800 DPI, and I could only notice the difference between it and the G400 at 3600 DPI when I needed the precision (e.g. sniping) but it was subtle enough to be completely irrelevant outside of shooters. Hell, maybe I just got better in the intervening months and it doesn't matter period.

The M570 is good.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Amrosorma posted:

Say it ain't so! I hope this isn't true, STALKER is one of my favorite PC exclusives. Even the first two, which were quite rough at launch, have mods that make them awesome, and Call of Pripyat showed that they were getting their poo poo together finally. Sad news if it's true.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Hey guys, my gaming laptop suddenly started running like poo poo. It has a switchable graphics card (on board to dedicated), but I don't think that is the problem. I don't think dust is the problem, as it was recently cleaned out. Is there any decent diagnostic tools that I can run to see if it is on the software side of things? I am not the most tech guy in the world, but is there some sort of program that could also tell me if my hardware is functioning properly?

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."

Dorepoll posted:

Hey guys, my gaming laptop suddenly started running like poo poo. It has a switchable graphics card (on board to dedicated), but I don't think that is the problem. I don't think dust is the problem, as it was recently cleaned out. Is there any decent diagnostic tools that I can run to see if it is on the software side of things? I am not the most tech guy in the world, but is there some sort of program that could also tell me if my hardware is functioning properly?

To make sure it's not the GFX card/s, use MSI afterburner. It will show you graphs of temps and usage and core clocks. Monitor these and see what happens when your system sarts to run lovely. If you notice high temps, or clocks being throttled you might have your answer.

The CPU is a bit trickier, you could try prime95 which will push your CPU to the limit, but this is normally a stability test for overclockers. To be honest I really think it will be a GFX card issue. As CPU related problems generally cause hard freezes, or BSOD.

Realtemp (program name if I remember) will show you CPU usage and temps incase that is an issue. As far as I know there is no one solve it all diagnostic program and you will have to eliminate parts as you go along. Start with you GFX card and post updates in this thread and we will see what we can do.

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 12, 2011

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Dorepoll posted:

If by running like poo poo, you mean it's running very slowly, the first thing I would do is check the hard drive using some kind of S.M.A.R.T. software. Almost all the manufacturers of hard drives offer a free tool for you to use (It's called SeaTools if the HD is Seagate and Western Digital version is called Data Lifeguard Diagnostic. You can also type "chkdsk" in the search for Windows and this will take a couple hours. This will rule out whether the issue is an urgent problem with the hard disk.

Possibly, it might just be too much crap piling up on your computer. CCleaner will remove junk on your computer like outdated registry entries and a defrag tool like Defraggler will clean thing up too.

If you just mean you're having trouble running games properly, then yeah it probably is some kind of overheating issue.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
From last page:

nickhimself posted:

Okay, I'm hoping someone who frequents this thread can help me out with this.

I want to create a sym link from Skyrim to my Dropbox, however when I attempted to create it, I received an Access Denied message.

Skyrim is on my C:\ Drive and Dropbox stores files on my D:\ Drive. Can anyone write out what the command prompt should look like? I know I'm forgetting something but the basic directions I saw online obviously weren't exactly what I needed.

NihilCredo posted:

Just use Link Shell Extension instead so you can do it with two right-clicks.

Does this simply create a clone of specific folders onto another drive?

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/12/richard-garriott-in-talks-with-ea-at-very-high-levels-about-making-ultima-online-2/

quote:

“We’ve actually talked to Electronic Arts about [Garriott leading Ultima Online again],” Garriott told Eurogamer. “I would love to have access to the Ultima property. We’ve had discussions at very high levels with Electronic Arts about access to the property.”

“We’re in discussions with Electronic Arts even now about a possible marketing and distribution relationships and things of this nature.”

That said, it’s not all sunshine, butterflies, and Siege Perilous shards. Garriott acknowledged that there’s “resistance” to the idea in certain parts of EA – especially where Garriott’s involvement is concerned. He noted, however, that the Ultima name is ultimately a very small piece of the puzzle.

Oh Garriott :allears:

edit:

Yet another reason why RPS is one of the few online gaming publications worth reading.

The first comment made me laugh so hard.

Strong Female fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 13, 2011

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

No PC gamer should have to go without their trusty Xbox 360 controller.
So I have an Xbox 360 WIRED controller for PC. Its brand name. It works great, except that it will randomly power off and not work at all (no light on the big button). I've never had it quit working during a game. I usually go to play and it won't be lit. Sometimes it goes for hours, sometimes days without shutting down. What is weird is it never did this before and now it does it all the time.

I pulled the following from Device Manager:

Device Status
"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

Also, I have 64 bit Vista and a Quad core. More details if needed.

What hasn't worked:
1. Drivers: Uninstall, reinstall, update, roll back, etc.
2. Unplugging it and plugging back in.
3. Putting it into different USB ports.
4. Disabling and enabling it in Device Manager.
5. Combinations of the above +/- Crying.

What has worked:
1. Restarting my machine

Any ideas? I'm off to restart so I can game and check this thread at the same time.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
As much as I like my Xbox 360 controller, the barebones Windows property manager is really irritating. My left analog stick has an annoying tendency to go out of center and cause drift if the sensitivity is set too high, all I want is a deadzone meter MS!

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

Any ideas?
Tried different USB ports or a powered hub? It might not be getting enough power.

A powered USB hub is a solid purchase for any PC gamer since sooner or later you're probably gonna run into a combination that tries to draw too much power - not to mention how convenient it is to have the USB ports on your desk.

ninja edit: just saw you tried different ports, do you have much else plugged into USB?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

As much as I like my Xbox 360 controller, the barebones Windows property manager is really irritating. My left analog stick has an annoying tendency to go out of center and cause drift if the sensitivity is set too high, all I want is a deadzone meter MS!

I think that's just a design problem with that controller. Every single 360 controller I've owned has developed that weird drift with the left stick problem and I've seen it at friends places too.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
So those headsets that promise surround sound are bullshit right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

notZaar posted:

Try ditching the official drivers for XBCD ones, you get a lot more stuff to tweak - deadzone and custom button mapping included

http://vba-m.com/forum/Thread-xbcd-0-2-7-release-info-updates-will-be-posted-here

The drawback is that it's only for wired 360 controllers

• Locked thread