Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

That was a good read, thanks for linking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

ChuckDHead posted:

Personally I find stuff like GTA's Blue Hell creepier than any of the "creepypasta" stories. Those big silent open expanses just feel wrong somehow, in a subtle way that crap like "and then amongst the glitching graphics, I saw what the previous owners of this cartridge (whose faces were forever captured in the Game Over screen) must also have seen: the haunted NES game showed me the date I would die and it was today" can never manage.

I had this very unnerving dreadful feeling the first time I saw GTA3's ghost town, this empty city street just floating over an open void behind a mountain, then you touch it with your plane to find it's not solid and fall through the void only to die.

Made even creepier by the fact the whole thing felt like dejavu as if I had dreamt it in some nightmare before I did it.

I wish more games used work arounds like that to find even more weird poo poo, but by the time rockstar got to san andreas they found ways to make things that work behind the scenes stay behind the scenes, like the liberty city section being hidden high above the sky and in another dimension.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Darval posted:

Agreed. That's a genuinely creepy story without any unbelievable stuff like 'the game was talking to me' or 'the game made me feel genuine pain'.

I really like the fact that it's told from another person's account and has no ending. The gaps in the story let your imagination go wild. The fact that the guy couldn't tell when he was dreaming or not let there be creepy elements outside the game without his copy of morrowind being a sentient, malevolent ghost.

I liked the Nes godzilla pasta but Melissa ruined it. Whenver stuff like that happens I just think 'Oooh, spooky ghost' and it ruins it.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Reive posted:

I had this very unnerving dreadful feeling the first time I saw GTA3's ghost town, this empty city street just floating over an open void behind a mountain, then you touch it with your plane to find it's not solid and fall through the void only to die.

Made even creepier by the fact the whole thing felt like dejavu as if I had dreamt it in some nightmare before I did it.

Blue hell was wonderfully creepy because it's just so wrong. You can't survive being in there for long, everything looks weird and incomplete, the sound goes off or something, and who knows how the normal rules of the gameplay would even apply in there. It messes with the player's head by not only introducing a huge element of uncertainty by breaking the "rules" that they're comfortable working within, but also with the sheer eerie feeling of total isolation.

If I was a developer and I knew that it was possible to glitch into a sub-world like that, I'd probably go out of my way to not just not fix the glitch, but to also put something horrible in there that didn't belong in the normal game (unkillable giant spider, indistinct blurry lightning-fast monster, creepy face staring at you from the distance, or whatever) just to screw with players. It'd get figured out by PC gamers hacking apart the game files pretty quickly, but it'd be worth it just for those first confused and terrified forum posts.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 12, 2011

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

13/f/cali posted:

Do you mind some speculation on your story? I thought I'd ask first because I don't want to post some idea I have and end up influencing your writing or something.

Go for it.

Also, I'm taking a lot of the criticism to heart and it's actually helping me plan out the next few parts. (I've had the overall arc in my head from the beginning, but a lot of specifics are fluid.) I'm probably going to post the next two parts at once, because I think they illustrate that the story is not quite as straightforward as Part 2 suggests.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
It's pretty good so far. It's not very creepy yet, but that could be because I'm not reading it before bed in the dark.

cumfartly numb
Sep 11, 2011

sex, drugs, & g funk

Darval posted:

See it would be great if some group actually made a "haunted" mod like this. I'm sure they could disguise it somehow as a custom questline, then vaguely surreal and unnerving poo poo starts to get eased into the game

I would love to actually make a mod like this but alas im lazy as gently caress

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

ChuckDHead posted:

Personally I find stuff like GTA's Blue Hell creepier than any of the "creepypasta" stories. Those big silent open expanses just feel wrong somehow, in a subtle way that crap like "and then amongst the glitching graphics, I saw what the previous owners of this cartridge (whose faces were forever captured in the Game Over screen) must also have seen: the haunted NES game showed me the date I would die and it was today" can never manage.

True. I've always found outside of level areas in games to be vaguely creepy. From the first time I discovered the noclipping commands in doom and ran out into the hall-of-mirrors it's always been something I find sort of fascinating.

There's probably some deep psychological reason behind it. At a guess, I'd say it's probably something to do with how mentally invested you are in the game's world. If you're at all immersed in it, then at some level your mind is reacting to it like it would to a real thing. So glitching through a wall and into a black void or whatever gives you a hint of the sort of feeling you'd get if you walked around a corner and found not a hallway but just an empty hole in the world. Obviously not to the same extent, because you're fully aware that you're playing a game. But still, at some deep level you get a tickle of the same thing.

It would be pretty neat if someone could actually build a game around this, but I don't know if it would be really possible. The problem is that the whole feeling revolves around the idea that you have gotten somewhere you're not supposed to be. It's the thrill of exploring something that isn't the pre-built and carefully designed path that the designer wants you to be on, but instead something not built for you to ever see. There's also the fun sense of danger when you're walking around on paths not designed for walking on and could just fall out of the world without warning. It's just about impossible to design something like that intentionally, and players wouldn't accept it anyway.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

BobTheJanitor posted:

True. I've always found outside of level areas in games to be vaguely creepy. From the first time I discovered the noclipping commands in doom and ran out into the hall-of-mirrors it's always been something I find sort of fascinating.

There's probably some deep psychological reason behind it. At a guess, I'd say it's probably something to do with how mentally invested you are in the game's world. If you're at all immersed in it, then at some level your mind is reacting to it like it would to a real thing. So glitching through a wall and into a black void or whatever gives you a hint of the sort of feeling you'd get if you walked around a corner and found not a hallway but just an empty hole in the world. Obviously not to the same extent, because you're fully aware that you're playing a game. But still, at some deep level you get a tickle of the same thing.

It would be pretty neat if someone could actually build a game around this, but I don't know if it would be really possible. The problem is that the whole feeling revolves around the idea that you have gotten somewhere you're not supposed to be. It's the thrill of exploring something that isn't the pre-built and carefully designed path that the designer wants you to be on, but instead something not built for you to ever see. There's also the fun sense of danger when you're walking around on paths not designed for walking on and could just fall out of the world without warning. It's just about impossible to design something like that intentionally, and players wouldn't accept it anyway.
The thing that creeped me out about no-clipping was when you stumbled upon enemies that hadn't been properly triggered or "woken up" yet. Something about the enemy sprites standing perfectly still, not even in their idle animations, always came off as very unsettling.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Falling through the world in any game will give me a very physical "oh poo poo I'm falling" feeling in my chest. One day I'm going to finally play a game so realistic that I literally hit the floor in real life and die!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohdear:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Creepy...

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 23, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I always thought the Portal games were decent at having intentional "you weren't supposed to be here" areas.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
In "Driver" (the PS game) there were some some walls that if you drove into, you will fall into the void.

I found it creepy at the time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Minidust posted:

The thing that creeped me out about no-clipping was when you stumbled upon enemies that hadn't been properly triggered or "woken up" yet. Something about the enemy sprites standing perfectly still, not even in their idle animations, always came off as very unsettling.

The first area of Half Life 2 is like this. There's what'shisface that's on all the monitors in the city. You can noclip your way over to where his model actually is and it's like a weird dead animatronic, especially since it's only the top half os his body. No legs. It's oddly creepy, the same way that seeing non-moving animatronics behind the scenes at Disney is.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
GTA3 is just one of those games- like OOT- that has a creepy atmosphere, at least to me. One thing that gave me chills was the “You werent supposed to be able get here you know” sign. I was like, "It's alive! *turn game off*"

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Reive posted:

I wish more games used work arounds like that to find even more weird poo poo, but by the time rockstar got to san andreas they found ways to make things that work behind the scenes stay behind the scenes, like the liberty city section being hidden high above the sky and in another dimension.

In San Andreas, there's a way to glitch yourself to an area where you can see all the interiors and find data for rooms and buildings they worked on but never finished. It's a rather famous glitch involving spawning a jetpack in the first gym, and close by are two interiors for what appears to be a sleazy brothel in two different stages of development. One is really plain, with simple textures of lower quality than most in the game and only a rough layout involving chairs, benches, and a bar. The second has better textures, doorways, and side rooms each with unique and fairly elaborate decorations. It's been a while, but I think if you stand in the newer one and look at the map, you're over the stadium in Los Santos.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Eggie posted:

GTA3 is just one of those games- like OOT- that has a creepy atmosphere, at least to me. One thing that gave me chills was the “You werent supposed to be able get here you know” sign. I was like, "It's alive! *turn game off*"

Oh yeah, that. What is that again? For those of us who didn't play that specific game.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

That reminded me, waaay back at the dawn of time, a demo for Marathon got released, v 0.0. After awhile posts started flowing in about voices coming from the walls, but it was seemingly inconsistent so it took some time to figure out that it was actually an enemy trapped inside a pillar. Okay mystery solved, except instead of simply accidentally spawning the enemy there like you'd expect, it was actually a weird bug that caused the pillar to suck up the enemy occasionally.

You can read more at http://marathon.bungie.org/story/ (ctrl+f for 0.0 ), marathon itself is pretty rife with potential jumping off points for this kinda stuff

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Rare Collectable posted:

Oh yeah, that. What is that again? For those of us who didn't play that specific game.

There's a little Alley on Staunton Island that you can't really access without doing something like getting onto an adjacent roof and using a tall vehicle as a platform to bridge the gap and get you over the wall. Getting into the alley rewards you with a sign form the developers that says something like "you weren't supposed to be able to get here, you know". I never really thought it was spooky, though as far as GTA goes, the open expanses of San Andreas could be a little creepy, particularly the ghost towns, the body bag dump, and the dilapidated shacks and barns (also the forests because what if Bigfoot came after you?).

You can see a new version of the same sign in Liberty City Stories (which, despite taking place a few years before GTA3, says something like "you're still not meant to be here"), and there's also one in San Andreas if you jetpack up to the top of the Golden Gate Bridge analogue. Vice City might have one, though I can't remember. There was definitely a room with an actual easter egg on a pedestal, though.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 12, 2011

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

in GTA IV you could get into the Statue of Happiness(Liberty) and see the heart of the city, a literal giant beating heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5MRXY7t3A

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Edit: ^^^ gently caress. Beaten. ^^^

Since we're talking about GTA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4EHZFbWrhM

The statue of liberty in GTA 4 has a beating heart inside. It's suspended by chains. What the gently caress?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Derp, ignore me.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Something just reminded me of Bio Force Ape. Someone on a forum somewhere whipped up a fake demo and posted pics that caused the entire forum (and a lot of the internet) to lose its mind. People wanted to believe so bad that they continued buying into every ridiculous screenshot that came out, including the ones that basically outed it as a hoax.
The most recent episode of The Indoor Kids podcast (episode 23, "Lost Games") talked about the Bio Force Ape hoax. I just found a page on Lost Levels that tells the whole story and it's pretty great.

That "Paul Brown" guy trolled those Digital Press guys hard. So hard.

It's also wild that sometime after the hoax someone discovered the actual game.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

ChuckDHead posted:

You can see a new version of the same sign in Liberty City Stories (which, despite taking place a few years before GTA3, says something like "you're still not meant to be here")
:spergin: In the PSP version, it says "Hello again!" and in the PS2 version it says "You just can't get enough of this alley, can you?" There's also a little smiley face that kinda looks like Yes Man from Fallout New Vegas, with outstretched arms.

Also, in Vice City Stories, there's a series of tiny cardboard signs hidden around the city, each showing the same Yes Man face, and a number. You don't get anything from finding them, just something to look for. In the PSP version, there's a ship you can clip your head through, and floating inside it is a sign saying something like, "There's no easter eggs here!" Also, the secret room in the VCN building, where literal chocolate Easter Egg was in Vice City, was gone. In PS2 VC Stories, the ship sign said "There's still nothing here, but try looking in the VCN building!" Go there, and you'll find the hidden room is back, with the final Yes Man sign, and the chocolate egg under construction by a tiny crane.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

ChuckDHead posted:

I'm definitely in agreement with this. As silly as it sounds, I got to the secret level in Wolfenstein by cheating as a kid and that Pacman ghost freaked me the gently caress out. It didn't fit in the rules of the game (and it was unkillable or at least really tough) so while it should have been funny it just scared me.

Most recently for me this happened in Shadow of the Colossus back on PS2 - I killed the flying Colossus over the desert and instead of falling to the ground, fell through it so I could see the whole world above me. Luckily I wasn't stuck since the blackness came and got me, but chucking that on top of falling through the world and it was a hell of a creepy experience.

Anyway, back to the Princess - how much of a threat can she be if you just turn the game off when she appears? Clearly the rabbit hole goes deeper, but hopefully not in a "I must face her, I won't turn the game off *dies*" kinda way.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ChuckDHead posted:

there's also one in San Andreas if you jetpack up to the top of the Golden Gate Bridge analogue.

One thing that sucked about playing on the PS2 was that the graphics were so blurry and muddy that you missed out on a lot of great little easter eggs in the text on signs. Like the little information placard in front of the Golden Gate bridge actually lists how many polygons the model has and its size on the disc.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

ChuckDHead posted:

Blue hell was wonderfully creepy because it's just so wrong. You can't survive being in there for long, everything looks weird and incomplete, the sound goes off or something, and who knows how the normal rules of the gameplay would even apply in there. It messes with the player's head by not only introducing a huge element of uncertainty by breaking the "rules" that they're comfortable working within, but also with the sheer eerie feeling of total isolation.

You'd get a kick out of the room in Max Payne that you have to glitchily climb along windowsills to get to, which is completely empty except for a tombstone for a developer's dead family member.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Radiapathy posted:

The most recent episode of The Indoor Kids podcast (episode 23, "Lost Games") talked about the Bio Force Ape hoax. I just found a page on Lost Levels that tells the whole story and it's pretty great.

That "Paul Brown" guy trolled those Digital Press guys hard. So hard.

It's also wild that sometime after the hoax someone discovered the actual game.

That's amazing. Absolutely amazing.

They were going to make a HeroQuest game!?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lone Rogue posted:

That's amazing. Absolutely amazing.

They were going to make a HeroQuest game!?
They made two of them.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
The talk of hiding creepy things in a game reminds me of the Hondo maps from the Action Half Life mod. They're pretty much exactly that: an actual series of strange interconnected secrets hiding in the middle of a deathmatch FPS mod, complete with odd methods of finding them that sound like rumors from gamefaqs.

A good documentation of one of the Hondo maps is here. The weirdness of Hondo maps reminds me of these video-game short stories, except they focus more about the weird stuff than SPOOKINESS, and they don't overplay their hands.
I mean, the Hondo maps do have a vague storyline about some otherwordly force, but they never play it like the "evil videogame ghosts are going to invade the world" or that sort of crap "creepypasta" is usually about. They're these rather neat, interactive puzzles with a sometimes unsettling theme, and I wish more mappers hid stuff like that in their work.

Twiggy Johnson
Jun 10, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

They made two of them.

And they weren't very good.

Well, that's not true. They played exactly like the board game. So really, what was the point?

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks

cobalt impurity posted:

In San Andreas, there's a way to glitch yourself to an area where you can see all the interiors and find data for rooms and buildings they worked on but never finished. It's a rather famous glitch involving spawning a jetpack in the first gym, and close by are two interiors for what appears to be a sleazy brothel in two different stages of development. One is really plain, with simple textures of lower quality than most in the game and only a rough layout involving chairs, benches, and a bar. The second has better textures, doorways, and side rooms each with unique and fairly elaborate decorations. It's been a while, but I think if you stand in the newer one and look at the map, you're over the stadium in Los Santos.

You could also fly all the way to that one segment where you're in Liberty City in the winter. As you'd expect only the immediate area around the bistro was there but there'd be random patches of land where you would not fall through the floor.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

NovaPolice posted:

The talk of hiding creepy things in a game reminds me of the Hondo maps from the Action Half Life mod. They're pretty much exactly that: an actual series of strange interconnected secrets hiding in the middle of a deathmatch FPS mod, complete with odd methods of finding them that sound like rumors from gamefaqs.

A good documentation of one of the Hondo maps is here. The weirdness of Hondo maps reminds me of these video-game short stories, except they focus more about the weird stuff than SPOOKINESS, and they don't overplay their hands.
I mean, the Hondo maps do have a vague storyline about some otherwordly force, but they never play it like the "evil videogame ghosts are going to invade the world" or that sort of crap "creepypasta" is usually about. They're these rather neat, interactive puzzles with a sometimes unsettling theme, and I wish more mappers hid stuff like that in their work.

Oh man, now I'm having AHL flashbacks from spending hours trying to work out those crazy secrets on Hondo's maps. Me and some friends actually did legitimately get to the end of the secret in NoCredit, I think. And most of the way through the one in Endless Rain. NoCredit just ends by dumping you in a tiny room with a light above you and no way out, unless I was just missing something. I spent a lot of time just noclipping around his maps trying to work out what the hell was going on with them. That guy was an insane genius.

That article's brilliant too. The guy is totally right. A deathmatch map without people running and gunning all the time is inherently creepy. Especially AHL maps, since they were mostly stark industrial cityscapes. Now I feel the urge to go boot up a Hondo map again and take another crack at it.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Farbtoner posted:

One thing that sucked about playing on the PS2 was that the graphics were so blurry and muddy that you missed out on a lot of great little easter eggs in the text on signs. Like the little information placard in front of the Golden Gate bridge actually lists how many polygons the model has and its size on the disc.

But you can read the sign just fine if you look at it by aiming a gun. :confused:

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

NovaPolice posted:

I've never played Action Half Life but I've spent hours just reading about the secrets behind 5am and some of his other maps, something about this highly-detailed and complicated that's even bigger than the rest of the level it's hidden in really interests me.

I've managed to find one wlakthrough that gets nearly all the way through but there is still one room that they can't get through(I think it was the 5am room). If anyone knows what happens when you solve the secret of 5am, I'd be eternally grateful.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I cannot believe that I have gone through this whole thread without mention of Fallout 2. Okay, here's a game that's glitchy as hell and unfinished so most of the urban legends about this game are based on would-be game content. Sulik's sister, the abandoned war depot- this game doesn't have a few lingering plot lines, it has a LOT. Plenty of strange stuff like the crashed heliship in Klamath or just... any random item lying around where it shouldn't. The FO2 fan community has put together an unofficial patch that adds on a lot of these lingering plots since, after all, they were supposed to go in the game but got cut due to budget and time issues.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ChuckDHead posted:

If I was a developer and I knew that it was possible to glitch into a sub-world like that, I'd probably go out of my way to not just not fix the glitch, but to also put something horrible in there that didn't belong in the normal game (unkillable giant spider, indistinct blurry lightning-fast monster, creepy face staring at you from the distance, or whatever) just to screw with players. It'd get figured out by PC gamers hacking apart the game files pretty quickly, but it'd be worth it just for those first confused and terrified forum posts.

It's been my dream for the longest time that whenever I get around to finally learning C++ and such game dev stuff, I will make this cool as gently caress game and hide horribly creepy poo poo everywhere. The reason is:

BobTheJanitor posted:

True. I've always found outside of level areas in games to be vaguely creepy.
[Psychological stuff]
It would be pretty neat if someone could actually build a game around this, but I
I remember Sonic Adventure being a glitchy mess, and getting outside of the level boundaries rewarded you with a blue mist that would freeze your game.
In Spyro the dragon 2 (or was it 3?) you could fly through some geometry in a way that you'd be swimming on air, and you could go anywhere in the game, and thus hang it due to some memory bullshit.

As a kid, glitches fascinated and terrified me. How can a game, a series of cmputer orders, something completely logical, behave in a way it was not meant to?
Games just doing stuff they were not meant to do freaked me out, like I knew this thing shouldn't be capable of suddenly growing a blue mist and freezing your game.

Then I grew up and that magic was kind of lost, I blame the internet.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, that 5 am thing is really interesting, and I'd also be interested in reading a write up/watching a video of someone who actually made it all the way through (if anyone has?).

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, that 5 am thing is really interesting, and I'd also be interested in reading a write up/watching a video of someone who actually made it all the way through (if anyone has?).
Seconding this request. I managed to find the one he talked about with the giant eyeball, but 5am sounds even better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

I couldn't find much on it after some searching. It suffers from being popular in the days before youtube existed. All I can find is a video of someone playing out the secret in ahl_er2 which is another Hondo map. Split up into tiny 1 - 2 minute segments, for some dumb reason, but the first one is here if anyone is curious. To even get into the secret, you have to drag a random chair halfway across the level and then carefully shove it off a bridge into a big tank of water and jump in after it. So that's the level of 'secret' you normally get with Hondo maps.

I did find this ancient guide to doing most of the ahl_5am secret, but even that guy never figured out the end, and that guide is so old you can only get there through the web archive.