Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009
This is the first time John has met Jade in person right? And hes never met Dave and only saw Rose when she was sleeping/grimdark/dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Dolash posted:

Consider though that we're probably not going to see the three years time-skip much, if at all, meaning that if they can all be in touch for three years then basically there's absolutely no interpersonal issue they won't have worked out off-screen when we see them again.

If, on the other hand, we skip ahead three years and the last time John and Rose and Dave and Jade saw each other involved one each of them dying in tragic circumstances, that's a lot of time to dwell on it and wonder what you'd want to say to them once you see them again - and we'd get to see it this way. Not everything would become irrelevant in the downtime, a lot of things would just simmer and become even weightier.

Heck, just for example, John's dad dying. He'll probably deal with his grief in the next three years off-camera, but since Rose isn't around then when they meet up again he might want to talk to her about it. Ask her how she dealt with the grief of losing her mother, give us a window into what both of them went through in the last three years. If they could talk on the internet though, they'd probably work that out just to pass the time at some point and we'd never see it.

Well, things would simmer and become weightier for a while, and if it was something like three weeks then that might make sense. But three years is a really long time! I'd think that most people would come to terms with their interpersonal issues in one way or another after that much time, and if they finally met up with the other person again there might be an emotional reaction but it would probably not be so strong. And this applies especially to 16-year-olds dealing with interpersonal issues from when they were 13, and even more to any of the interactions between kids and trolls (since at that point they would literally be "someone I talked to on the internet for a few hours, three years ago" to each other).

Anyway, my guess would be that everyone meets up in the furthest ring (either by dreaming or by being physically there), and in a future intermission we get to see how everyone works out their internal conflicts and interpersonal issues and see the direction their character development is going in before the three-year time jump. (Though obviously at this point it's a bit early for serious speculation on what's going to happen!)

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I don't know, they don't have anyone else to relate to. Team battleship and team green sun basically have nobody left outside themselves and the other group. Three years is a long time, but they'll have nothing but anticipation to go on. No external friendships to overwrite it all.

Doc Uzuki posted:

Well, Jade does have an array of board-game-based fetch modi. Who's up for Scrabble?

But her fetch modi, like the inventory they access, are stuck with her corpse down on LOFAF. So that's not an option either! It's a big battleship, though - maybe there's a squash court or a pool table or something, for the troops.

Also, now we know why UU mentioned Rose and Dave but not the trolls: given the assumption that everyone will end up at roughly the same age, they'll obviously all starve to death long before the cast reconnects because they aren't immortal and don't have three years' worth of food. Only Aradia will survive, and she'll be staying behind to supervise and coordinate bubble activities.

If only Nepeta were still alive! Then she could use her powers to summon up a hearty meal for everyone. :downsrim:

sansuki
May 17, 2003

God drat, 3 years on a spaceship by themselves? I'm just wondering how they are gonna eat and breathe, or other science facts.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

We still don't know if Jade's space powers would let them explore their pocket incipisphere, in which case they should have plenty to do as well as food and water if they even need that sort of thing. Do they need that sort of thing as God-Tiers?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Unless dying of hunger/thirst can count as heroic or just I guess.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nate RFB posted:

Unless dying of hunger/thirst can count as heroic or just I guess.

...they wouldn't have their just desserts?

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

sansuki posted:

God drat, 3 years on a spaceship by themselves? I'm just wondering how they are gonna eat and breathe, or other science facts.

Just think to yourself "It's just a webcomic. I should really just relax."

What am I saying? This is Homestuck we're talking about.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dias posted:

YOU FOOL!

You've killed them!

You've killed them all!

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

But her fetch modi, like the inventory they access, are stuck with her corpse down on LOFAF.

This is iffy, considering she accessed the fourth wall she captchalogued without directly interacting with her corpse that we saw. She might very well have found some way to access her stuff. Or maybe that was space powers at work! :iiam:

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Lord of Laughton posted:

No, they're pretty much stuck on the ship unless they jump off. Jade even said first guardian powers have no effect in this gap between dimensions. Therefore she can't shrink/expand the planets, herself or John. Maybe if they had a microscope

That's not what she said at all. She didn't say first guardian powers have no effect, she said they were incapable of instantaneous travel between universes and sessions. They may not be going as fast as a First Guardian might theoretically be capable of elsewhere, but she's still moving a battleship at the speed of light without the occupants being reduced to paste. Whether the shrinking/expanding is Space or First Guardian powers, she's probably still able to do it. (Most likely shrinking, so they won't need to leave the ship.)

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Yeah, this is all true. Forgot she had independent powers now other than the ones from Bec. :shobon: Although, we still don't really know if god tier powers work in Hussbot dimension. Chalk it up to RAFO I guess.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

sansuki posted:

Hopefully they'll use any special parts they find on the ship to alchemize some robot friends.

Although knowing Jade's luck they'd just end up with Johnny 5.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Ummm, unless Hussie has said that he's serious about the three years thing, either Jade is going to be very wrong in her estimate or John is gonna bust out some kickin' Windy powers to speed this poo poo up.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Ummm, unless Hussie has said that he's serious about the three years thing, either Jade is going to be very wrong in her estimate or John is gonna bust out some kickin' Windy powers to speed this poo poo up.

Or it will be 3 years relative to the earth, coming out now in 2011 since the kids are still in April 2009. If theyre going at relativistic speeds, they should essentially travel into the future.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

dumb brunette posted:

This is iffy, considering she accessed the fourth wall she captchalogued without directly interacting with her corpse that we saw. She might very well have found some way to access her stuff. Or maybe that was space powers at work! :iiam:

I wasn't being terribly serious there; that bit was just continuing to spin out the premise that Jade has no access to those pocket planets during the voyage from wall to wall. I agree that she presumably does have at least some measure of spacey powers even where they are now, or she wouldn't be talking about keeping up the ship's speed as something she has any chance of doing.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

KoB posted:

Or it will be 3 years relative to the earth, coming out now in 2011 since the kids are still in April 2009. If theyre going at relativistic speeds, they should essentially travel into the future.

I think Hussie actually got the time dilation wrong. If Hussie observes the ship in his room for a span of 3 nanoseconds, then Jade and John would experience that event in LESS than 3 nanoseconds, according to special relativity; not 3 years. This is really simple relativity exercise, and it kind of bothers me that Hussie got it wrong.

Thus, I have to dismiss this as "weird time poo poo". It's not the first completely insane thing that's happened in Homestuck.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
So... 2 kids, 13 years old, aged 3 years, would be 16.

Also the 2 kids aging 3 years are the two kids with 6-letter last names.

:tinfoil:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Dias posted:

there is no pun hussie can resist.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Lupus Rufus posted:

I think Hussie actually got the time dilation wrong. If Hussie observes the ship in his room for a span of 3 nanoseconds, then Jade and John would experience that event in LESS than 3 nanoseconds, according to special relativity; not 3 years. This is really simple relativity exercise, and it kind of bothers me that Hussie got it wrong.

Thus, I have to dismiss this as "weird time poo poo". It's not the first completely insane thing that's happened in Homestuck.

He knows how it works. He hosed it up in Problem Sleuth as well (but in a different way), told everyone how it should work but then said he didn't care.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So, this is the anime time-skip to the new season then?

Also, two teenagers left alone for three years, this can only end in one thing...

...awkwardness. "Hmmm, so...Nic Cage, huh?".

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Bobulus posted:

I made an thing, for the next time we get incredibly confused!

Also available in avatar form...

Snagged like theres no tomorrow

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
If the time-dilation thing is really bothering you, you can just tell yourself this is a relativistic effect occurring in a place categorically different from that of observed space-time. I mean we already have a menagerie of universes suspended in a medium which almost by definition resists all consistent spatial and chronological flow, who's to say jumping from one narrative to another through Andrew Hussie's house doesn't have a similar thing going.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The fact that this is a universe where "shrinking" is a thing that is real tells you that conventional physics need no longer apply. John and Jade are breaking like a million physical laws just standing there, what's a couple more to the list?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dias posted:

So, this is the anime time-skip to the new season then?

Also, two teenagers left alone for three years, this can only end in one thing...

...awkwardness. "Hmmm, so...Nic Cage, huh?".

...Go on...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

...Go on...

That's the full transcript of the conversations transpired in those three years. John and Jade just stared at the vast green for the rest of the trip.

I was hypothetising that maybe they would take the place of their descendants in the session since Jane was exploded and all that, but that won't really happen, I'm pretty sure. Hussie wouldn't introduce a new character just to kill it off.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
They're not traveling at light speed, just a teeny-tiny bit less. That's a few less laws of physics punched in the snout, if it helps any.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
So, meteor hurtling towards the green sun in the background, I'm guessing we're checking in on the trolls next? And then Dave, Rose, Aradia, and half of Sollux' consciousness?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Seems likely. When this intermission started I figured we'd maybe get one per group in between the mini-acts setting up the B2 kids and their session - but if each set of old characters has three years to kill, I guess there might be room for more than one per. We'll see!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mind you, the weirdest part isn't that time is passing slower for John and Jade than it is for Hussie, even if it should be the other way round according to relativity.

The weirdest part is that Hussie only thought to go look at the battleship, grant John and Jade the power of normal speech and cover the whole set-up with a curtain with one nanosecond left on the clock.

So by the time John and Jade start talking and go "what the gently caress is THAT" and stuff, they should already be two years into their three-year journey.

And if something like that's off, then arguing about whether time should be going faster or slower is small fry.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

But that's not Hussie that is his robot. It is capable of feats beyond that of mere humans.

Hussie is probably off in some corner, shivering as the wolf head trophy glowers menacingly from above.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Probably a little :spergin: but... since the ship is technically not in a frictionless air environment and just crashed through a large piece of glass, in order for it to still be, and stay at, the velocity of "just below speed of light", I believe Jade would still have to have Witch powers pushing the ship forward. Otherwise, the ship should constantly be slowing down due to friction with the air around them and the crash with the 4th wall's glass.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

DaveKap posted:

Probably a little :spergin: but... since the ship is technically not in a frictionless air environment and just crashed through a large piece of glass, in order for it to still be, and stay at, the velocity of "just below speed of light", I believe Jade would still have to have Witch powers pushing the ship forward. Otherwise, the ship should constantly be slowing down due to friction with the air around them and the crash with the 4th wall's glass.

She still has witch powers, she just doesn't have first guardian powers and it's hard to tell which is which.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

dumb brunette posted:

it's hard to tell which is witch.

Fixed this for you.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

dumb brunette posted:

She still has witch powers, she just doesn't have first guardian powers and it's hard to tell which is which.

Which which is witch indeed. Well whichever power Jade is using to move the ship along this green switchback, as it bewitchingly twitches in the background, I'm sure Hussie will expound on which witchcraft the witch is using to bewitch the ship and the mechanics thereon eventually.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Weird space poo poo. Got it.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
HUGE SPOILERS:
jack falls in love with PM. sloppy makeouts over WV's dying body.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I like the tumor callback.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That could probably make a bitching avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh god, the buildup. Are we going to see them throw down, or are we about to cut away?