Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
You can always sign up using media go, but there really isn't much reason not to update any more. If an official sony update bricks your PSP then that's a fun case for their support that will probably end with you getting a new PSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Yay posted:

I just purchased a PSP (3004), and it's got firmware 6.39 on it, which was the last one I was even aware of, in a peripheral sense. Turns out I can't sign up for PSN, or open the store because it's not running the newest, 6.60 version.

Is there any downside to upgrading, or any [known] risk of it bricking?
I suppose the corollary of that is: if I don't upgrade, is it even possible to use PSN/Store etc? I almost certainly need to invest in the Oddworld games I'm told are on it ...

There is really little to no chance of it bricking, outside of it losing power or something during the upgrade. Just make sure the battery is sufficiently charged and it's also plugged into a power outlet. You can even run custom firmware on 6.60 if you choose.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Congratulations XSEED! Corpse Party was the best selling PSP game in November on the PSN

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
PSP games on the PSN is quite the bustling market right about now, too.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Awesome. Good chance we might see the other games as well!

Yay
Aug 4, 2007
Thanks, both Captains, for the reassurance. Updated with nary a hitch. Now I can whistle to mudokons all day long.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Does there happen to be a name to the "la la laaa" song that plays when the AI's are around in Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

As far as I know, no, but there is a good chunk of it in this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DywkglA4fwc#t=1m20s

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

MeinGott posted:

Does there happen to be a name to the "la la laaa" song that plays when the AI's are around in Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker?

I used vocaloid to make it say 'laaaa, laa laaaaaa, lalalaaaaa, poopoofaaaace' but it didn't want to say 'poo' :(

But I still sing that to my girlfriend.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Awesome. And fate/extra is up there too, double awesome

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ara posted:

This got me excited for a minute, then I searched and found that it doesn't exist. Are you talking about "No Heroes Allowed"?

Yes :downs:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Corpse Party - Toilet Quest

What the hell, Japan?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Just... ignore it. It's one of those strange, strange things.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Mithaldu posted:

Corpse Party - Toilet Quest

What the hell, Japan?

Can you spoiler this for someone who has no intention of playing the game?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
One of the main characters' little sister has to use the bathroom, however either they are all broken or sealed.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

RadicalR posted:

Ara posted:

Can you spoiler this for someone who has no intention of playing the game?
One of the main characters' little sister has to use the bathroom, however either they are all broken or sealed.

Plus, the game focuses on that a solid chapter out of five. PLUS: Right in the very first chapter you find the bucket she will eventually end up having used right next to the starting point of the game, have it highlighted in the second chapter and in the third one then you have her exclaiming she has to go right next to the bucket; which then leads to you walking AWAY to find a toilet.

So it's not even a question of "Where the hell do i find a working toilet?" but more of a "How many more unusable toilets will i have to discover unusable before resolving this retarded situation?"

The little fact that in ingame time this takes at least 2-3 hours and still isn't resolved doesn't help either.

It's just extremely loving mindbending, even more so than the gruesome deaths.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Mithaldu posted:

Plus, the game focuses on that a solid chapter out of five. PLUS: Right in the very first chapter you find the bucket she will eventually end up having used right next to the starting point of the game, have it highlighted in the second chapter and in the third one then you have her exclaiming she has to go right next to the bucket; which then leads to you walking AWAY to find a toilet.

She never uses the bucket. I guess you could consider it a red herring?

I'm not really sure why they put such a focus on finding a toilet, though. I guess it gives you a short-term goal to focus on while you slowly work on your long-term goals of finding your friends and escaping. (Both of which the game constantly hammers into you as being impossible) They could have come up with something less ridiculous to fulfill that purpose, though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

There's also the itching incident in the first chapter.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can anybody recommend me some of the better PSP games? I don't like anything that heavily uses the analog stick though (like Jak and Daxter, etc).

I've played Patapon (the original) but not much of 2 or 3. I've also beaten Jeanne D'Arc (AMAZING GAME) as well as Final Fantasy Tactics (for the Nth time).

I was thinking about Half Minute Hero and Persona 3 Portable but a 30 hour RPG is long for me so I'm not sure about an 80+ hour one, heh.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Half Minute Hero is excellent and good if you can only play in short bursts.
P3P is excellent as well, but you can save a lot in the game...

I've been playing Driver 76 on the PSP. Good fun, I think.
Can't think of any other one right off the top of my head.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Without an analog stick, I've loved:

Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe
BlazBlue
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles
Gran Turismo PSP (yeah, I like the dpad better. I use a wheel for GT5.)
Hot Shots Tennis
Field Commander

Monsters is a great version of the PS3 game. 20+ hours of content.

BlazBlue is a well-made Arc System Works fighting game. Sounds are a little lo-fi on PSP but an otherwise great port.

Dracula X: play the remake a bit to unlock Symphony of the Night. I played the poo poo out of SOTN (again) and then discovered the Dracula X remake is pretty drat good in its own old-school way. The secrets are different from the original Dracula X I believe (which is also hidden in the game).

Gran Turismo PSP: basically a choose-your-own-adventure racing game. No career mode, just licenses and design your own races. Graphics are gorgeous. Only three opponents in each race which pissed a lot of people off.

Hot Shots Tennis: silly rpg mode, but control is great. You can just play regular exhibition matches too. I've oddly played this more than anything probably. I severely dislike the doll-dressing feature, but the gameplay is solid.

Field Commander: like Advance Wars or Military Madness or UniWar or whatever. Turn-based tactical game. High production values, well-balanced.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Vinlaen posted:

I was thinking about Half Minute Hero and Persona 3 Portable but a 30 hour RPG is long for me so I'm not sure about an 80+ hour one, heh.

I'll vouch for Half Minute Hero, definitely one of the best RPGs the system has, and since you seem to be into SRPG's, I'll add Yggdra Union. The game system is just so much fun, definitely different from turned based SRPG's but still good.

edit: and do yourself a favour and grab Front Mission 3 from the PSN store.

Krad fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 12, 2011

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If you liked Final Fantasy Tactics you should play Tactics Ogre. It is a very long game, though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Vinlaen posted:

Persona 3 Portable is easily the best title I've played on my PSP, it's hard to overrecommend it.

I picked up Valkyria Chronicles II last week for a road trip and have been really enjoying it, the $22.49 bundle with a truckload of DLC is a pretty good deal. If you don't mind a little more SRPG goodness, it's worth a look.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

Half-Minute Hero should be an instant buy for anyone with a PSP. It's excellent.

P3P is the only JRPG that's managed to keep me interested for more than a handful of hours. This is coming from the guy who got burnt out on Chrono Trigger.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Captain Novolin posted:

P3P is the only JRPG that's managed to keep me interested for more than a handful of hours. This is coming from the guy who got burnt out on Chrono Trigger.

If you want a lighter JRPG I'd recommend PoPoLoCrois. It's really cheap on UMD nowadays. I got it for $5 and it's easily one of my favourite PSP titles.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

So Corpse Party just got added to the EU PSN. I've heard nothing but great things about it so I guess I'll have try it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The Badman series (ending with No Heroes Allowed) is a pretty good pick-up-and-play game but it can be loving frustrating at times and at times a little bad luck can make you want to hurl your PSP at the closest hard surface.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Try as I might, and despite the tutorials, I just cannot comprehend the mechanics of that series.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

They're based on random chance enough that there is no way in hell I'll ever be able to play decently. gently caress, I barely passed the tutorial in the demo for the first one.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I feel like the only person on earth who has completed every mission in every Badman title. I love those games and will most likely be picking up a Vita to play the next installment.

The aptitude tests in Badman 3 are a great way to learn about the more advanced game mechanics, but if you're having difficulties with the various tutorials it's probably safe to just not bother with the games at all. They definitely aren't for everyone. :(

#1 Tip: Obese Lizardmen will pretty much make a joke out of any set of heroes and are the easiest mutation to force to occur.

e: The first game is also a lot harder than necessary almost entirely because you face the full set of heroes in a single dungeon that you have to work very hard at not completely emptying by the home stretch. I found Badman 1 a lot easier after having gone back to it when I had played through Badman 2 some.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 14, 2011

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Emalde posted:

I feel like the only person on earth who has completed every mission in every Badman title. I love those games and will most likely be picking up a Vita to play the next installment.

The aptitude tests in Badman 3 are a great way to learn about the more advanced game mechanics, but if you're having difficulties with the various tutorials it's probably safe to just not bother with the games at all. They definitely aren't for everyone. :(

#1 Tip: Obese Lizardmen will pretty much make a joke out of any set of heroes and are the easiest mutation to force to occur.

e: The first game is also a lot harder than necessary almost entirely because you face the full set of heroes in a single dungeon that you have to work very hard at not completely emptying by the home stretch. I found Badman 1 a lot easier after having gone back to it when I had played through Badman 2 some.
If you'd feel like it, i'd love to see an LP of it, or at least some walkthroughs of levels that try to explain how to play it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I really want to love Badman, it's such a cool franchise and so much work goes into it but I feel so retarded when I play it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Mithaldu posted:

If you'd feel like it, i'd love to see an LP of it, or at least some walkthroughs of levels that try to explain how to play it.

An LP would be great since I really want to show off the series, but my computer isn't good enough to record PSP footage. All of the tutorials for the first game that I linked to in the thread (before it died, rip) are still on youtube, but the later games do much better jobs of walking you through the basic and advanced techniques in their relevant tutorials.

The one thing I've never been able to do properly in regular levels in Badman 2-3 is summon a Mara. Mana is really quite finicky and to somehow spawn a rune that has 0 nutrients and 15+ mana and then get a hero to walk directly over it 2+ times is just something that doesn't happen very much at all. Mara are ridiculous juggernauts but summoning them is extremely difficult and Obese Lizardmen usually get the job done just as well (if not faster).

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
When the next title is released, it might be a good opportunity to create a Badman thread with tutorials about how not to suck at Badman. I'd certainly be interested myself, as to date, by biggest achievement is beating the first set of missions in Badman 3. The games really do make you feel retarded.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'll have to look into the Badman games... they LOOK very interesting but also confusing.

Also, how long are some of the better PSP RPGs? For example, how long is PoPoLoCrois, Trails in the Sky, and Persona 3 Portable?

I'd really like to play P3P but I've heard it's 80+ hours and it sometimes takes me weeks even to finish a 10 hour game (due to family, kids, work, etc) so I would like that P3P would take me darn near a year and that's if I didn't even play anything else! :( (I used to really love RPGs though so that makes it even more difficult now that I don't have the time to really play them...)

Half Minute Hero seems to fit my game length criteria pretty good though, heh.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Persona 3 Portable is likely to take you around 90-110 hours your first time if you don't know what you're doing. You can whittle down a New Game+ playthrough to about 70 hours if you fast forward through cutscenes, but it's a very hefty game.

The thread for it is here
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286826

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Justice posted:

Persona 3 Portable is likely to take you around 90-110 hours your first time if you don't know what you're doing. You can whittle down a New Game+ playthrough to about 70 hours if you fast forward through cutscenes, but it's a very hefty game.

Just dug out my PSP to check, my final save game of my first playthrough clocked in at 73 hours and 1 minute. I went in blind never having played a Persona game before and didn't use any FAQs/etc aside from messing around with fusion combinations at the end. A good 20 hours of that was just trying to fuse crazy unnecessary stuff towards the end.

Best game I've played in years on any system. P3P alone justified the PSP purchase.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Justice posted:

The thread for it is here
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286826

I had never played a SMT game before, and my first Persona 3 Portable save was between 70 and 80 hours. I even did nearly every one of Elizabeth's requests, and leveled to 90 and fused Messiah. I also didn't use a guide beyond a little bit of fusion stuff at the end.

It's a long game, but if you don't care too much about doing requests or leveling enough to fuse the best Personas, you can easily beat it in under 70 hours your first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Yeah, 90-110 hours is an insane overshoot for P3's playtime. I'm sure that's what they printed on the box, but I don't know of anyone who took that long to beat the game unless they loved setting the game down to do other stuff and let the game clock keep going.

• Locked thread