Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006
..blue fish, one fish, two fish: blue fish need not apply.

Woman posted:

Thanks for all the replies, and I will definitely be taking your advice JohnnyRnR. The more I see people talk about how happy they are with their moissanite rings, the happier I am with choosing to get one instead of a diamond. Even though, the rings on your website are really gorgeous.

I have a moissanite engagement ring, and I love it. It's in an Old European Cut as opposed to a Round Brilliant, because I love old cuts and antique settings. I wanted an antique setting and the OEC fits it better than the modern RB. I also like the big flashes of fire instead of the little pointy ones an RB cut stone has. Just an FYI that old cuts are now available in Moissanite, as well as some other specialty cuts, but there is a premium on the cut if it's not a 'standard' cut. Still way cheaper than a diamond, and without the nebulous pedigree that sends my husband into a rant if anyone mentions the d-word. :rolleyes:

RedFish fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

JohnnyRnR posted:

If you wanted an actual gemstone from a meteorite then I would encourage you to look at Palladot. Palladot is an extraterrestrial version of Peridot that came to earth on a meteorite. There is very little of it in the world.

I've never heard it called Palladot, and I don't think you'll get much returns from searching for that. Most places I've seen listing it have it as a Pallasite Peridot, and they're always very small. I found a cutter selling one but it was 900 for .33 carats :cry:

JohnnyRnR posted:

Not at all. You can easily get a nice solitaire in a .75 carat size for a budget of $2,500. I do them all the time.

There's also champagne diamonds, which look fantastic and are a hell of a lot cheaper.

Johnny, from the time I first posted in this thread to now I've gone from knowing gently caress-all to a high-end jeweler interested in hiring me. Thanks! :buddy:

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Sorry about the e/n, but I need advice:

Edit: Was asking advice for how to deal with my jealous mom who wants me to stay with her before the wedding. Decided I'll just not stay with her, and I'm going to try to make her not freak out.

Weddings are an upsetting time for people!

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 14, 2011

Cissa
Sep 23, 2007
One Lucky Duck

dopaMEAN posted:

Sorry about the e/n, but I need advice:

Edit: Was asking advice for how to deal with my jealous mom who wants me to stay with her before the wedding. Decided I'll just not stay with her, and I'm going to try to make her not freak out.

Weddings are an upsetting time for people!

Especially moms. We JUST picked a date about two weeks ago. I told her the day after and her first question is, "Where are you getting ready that day?" Seriously? I have no idea what any details are right now, besides the date.

I learned early on in this process that I am not going to make everyone happy, so my focus is solely on making my fiance and I happy.

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

I've heard a few different answers regarding this, but is it still considered proper to ask the dad prior to engagement? I'm thinking it couldn't hurt and at most would just be awkward for both of us. I'm just not sure if that is still the norm or considered an outdated practice.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

EnsignVix posted:

I've heard a few different answers regarding this, but is it still considered proper to ask the dad prior to engagement? I'm thinking it couldn't hurt and at most would just be awkward for both of us. I'm just not sure if that is still the norm or considered an outdated practice.

I was too chickenshit so she did it for me. :3:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

EnsignVix posted:

I didn't really think of doing it before I proposed, but what we ended up deciding on doing was that I would be the one to call her dad to tell him the news first.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

EnsignVix posted:

I did it, but I didn't ask for permission. When my fiance's dad was in town visiting I asked him if he'd like to have lunch with me. He pretty much knew what was up right then. We met up and I told him I was planning on proposing and asked for his blessing. He thought it was awesome I did that and then we had lunch and a beer and it wasn't awkward at all.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Johnny, from the time I first posted in this thread to now I've gone from knowing gently caress-all to a high-end jeweler interested in hiring me. Thanks! :buddy:

Hah, that's great! Congratulations. You'll have a blast.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I didn't speak with her dad beforehand, and he died this month. I really wish I had now, because I'll never know if he really liked me or not. Please try to make a better relationship with your in-laws-to-be than I did because you never know what might happen.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
My dad passed away so my fiancé plans to ask my mom for her blessing (not permission) before he gives me a ring. She'll Probably be the one to walk me down the aisle too. But my family is pretty conservative and we're really close so that kind of thing may not be important in other families.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

JohnnyRnR posted:

Just to clarify, moissanite isn't from an asteroid. Natural moissanite is only found in microscopic crystals inside of asteroids. A lot of retailers play up the "moon rock" angle to romance the product, but gem quality moissanite is wholly a synthetic product.

If you wanted an actual gemstone from a meteorite then I would encourage you to look at Palladot. Palladot is an extraterrestrial version of Peridot that came to earth on a meteorite. There is very little of it in the world.

No, I am completely aware of that. But "Natural moissanite is only found in microscopic crystals inside of asteroids." is the important part.

I actually like that it's synthetic, but was "discovered because of SPACE" because it keeps the price low while adding that little bit of charming history. I don't mind retailers playing it up at all. It's not hard to look it up if one is interested in its origins/synthesis, and I think it deserves more press/attention since it's inherently conflict-free. I've been encountering a lot of women who said, "Oh if I had KNOWN about it, I wouldn't have asked for diamonds."

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Hooray wedding stuff! My fiance proposed in July, just sort of out of the blue while we were hanging out in our apartment. It was very sweet. We're not getting married until 2013, but I'm already scoping out venues. I've found this place: https://www.hcconservancy.org which has an awful website, but really gorgeous grounds. Any advice for long engagements and wedding planning?

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

EnsignVix posted:

I told both of her parents at the same time that I planned to marry their daughter, and asked if they had any issue with that.

We would have got married regardless of their answer, but it made them feel nice and is more modern since you actually involve both parents.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

"Natural moissanite is only found in microscopic crystals inside of asteroids."

And in mantle xenoliths in kimberlites :science:

marylou
Jun 30, 2005
Just putting out there as food for thought... Personally, I wouldn't want my boyfriend to ask my parents before proposing. Here are my reasons: I'm an adult and I'm perfectly capable of making life decisions without my parents' approval. I'm not their property to "give away." If I want their approval, I can ask for it myself, but honestly if I'm ready to marry someone, my parents' disapproval won't really make a difference. Also, I'm not at all close to my dad so I would be especially pissed if he were asked because of some paternalist crap (one man "giving" his daughter to another man).

Obviously, those are just MY reasons and I know that a lot of people don't feel the same way. I'm not judging anyone in the thread for asking. BUT if you can see your girlfriend feeling that way, maybe don't bother asking?

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
Yeah I agree it's definitely something you should know about your fiancée and her family before you just up and do it. But if you know a person well enough to marry them surely you know their family dynamics well enough to figure out what she and her parents want and expect and value.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

marylou posted:

Just putting out there as food for thought... Personally, I wouldn't want my boyfriend to ask my parents before proposing. Here are my reasons: I'm an adult and I'm perfectly capable of making life decisions without my parents' approval. I'm not their property to "give away." If I want their approval, I can ask for it myself, but honestly if I'm ready to marry someone, my parents' disapproval won't really make a difference. Also, I'm not at all close to my dad so I would be especially pissed if he were asked because of some paternalist crap (one man "giving" his daughter to another man).

Obviously, those are just MY reasons and I know that a lot of people don't feel the same way. I'm not judging anyone in the thread for asking. BUT if you can see your girlfriend feeling that way, maybe don't bother asking?

That's why I suggested telling the father and asking for his blessing - not permission - if she comes from a close, traditional family where things like that mean something special to both the bride to be and father. It did in my case and my fiance was really happy I did it even if it was just a formality.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I just wanted to take a minute to show off the video that I made for our save the dates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_YKnuodVR8

I'm really excited with how it came out...we were *ahem* heavily inspired by the beginning of (500) Days of Summer. As far as mailing them went, I bought a couple of extra DVD burners from the Goodwill outlet, threw them in an extra PC that I had, and turned it into a replication tower. I sat it by the couch, and while I was watching TV I'd keep feeding it blank DVDs. We also found a printer on Amazon for $99 that printed directly on DVDs, so they didn't have cheap-looking labels stuck to them. Another week of feeding the printer DVDs while watching TV, and they were ready to mail. Amazon also sells a brand of envelope that qualifies as first-class mail if you don't put anything aside from the DVD in them, so they only took a stamp to mail. Materials only cost about $75 + stamps :)

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

My wedding planning has started and immediately people have already passively aggressively complaining about everything. What's a good way to deflect criticism? Already the time of year isn't good (winter) and the date isn't good and are you sure it can't be just "regular" (interracial wedding) and it's just driving me nuts. But if I'm too harsh, I'm sure to be met with cries of "bridezilla!" and "well I'm paying for this bit soo". Any clever solutions that will make future MIL's both stop complaining and yet not be pissy would be greatly appreciated.

So far my ideas were to give her and other extreme complainers complete control over things I don't care about but will take up time (ie cake, flowers).

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Tell people what you're doing - don't invite discussion and opinion. Im proposing soon which is a secret from my fiance but we've already booked the key parts of our wedding which is secret from everyone else!

Our family are pretty good, but y'know, people have opinions and it's our wedding not theirs!

We are both looking forward to breaking the news along with the date and venue!

hermand fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 22, 2011

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

^^ that last bit is what I should have done originally!

Unfortunately that is exactly what I've already been doing, but MIL in particular doesnt seem to think that matters. I'm not a pushover type, and everything's been all "we've set a wedding date!" instead of "what do you think of this date?" but I guess I'm a little hesitant to push that further and just say "no discussion about it" because I know she will just whine and say "I was just making some suggestions!".

Maybe fiancé putting down the foot will come off better. It is a bit annoying to have everyone come to me with concerns even though he is also planning and deciding.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Thats kind of how we went about things. Dress, venue and date were basically done before we told anyone. Date had to change due to a graduation. Which I was okay with. Food can't be changed because it comes with the venue.

Also helps that we're paying for it ourselves. I just have to deal with my father, now you know, this is a big commitment. Yes, Dad I know, this is why it says, "till death do you part" I got it!

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

gogogiraffes posted:

Thats kind of how we went about things. Dress, venue and date were basically done before we told anyone. Date had to change due to a graduation. Which I was okay with. Food can't be changed because it comes with the venue.

Also helps that we're paying for it ourselves. I just have to deal with my father, now you know, this is a big commitment. Yes, Dad I know, this is why it says, "till death do you part" I got it!

I think it's best if people deal with their own parents, having to say "no" to your mother-in-law at this point probably isn't best if you can avoid it. If you're paying for it yourselves then you should at least be polite, since they're your parents, but ultimately you just do what you want and tell them after. Now, if they were paying I think that wouldn't be a good idea.

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011

gogogiraffes posted:

I just have to deal with my father, now you know, this is a big commitment. Yes, Dad I know, this is why it says, "till death do you part" I got it!

Trust me, it is a hard day to let his daughter go (even if she has already been living on her own). I am married as of Nov. 12 and my dad still makes comments about "death do you part" etc. When we were about to go down the isle I felt really calm and I looked at him, I thought he was going to lose it. Poor Dad.

SouthernHelle
Nov 21, 2011
Looks like I can be an official member of this thread now. :D

It's surreal right now. I've been an active lurker of wedding blogs/threads for many years - but now that they apply to me...sheesh! Excited, dazed...all those things. :)

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

SouthernHelle posted:

It's surreal right now. I've been an active lurker of wedding blogs/threads for many years - but now that they apply to me...sheesh! Excited, dazed...all those things. :)

This is exactly how I feel right now. After 3 years of lurking this thread, I can finally join it!

He proposed Christmas Eve after nearly six years together. Completely caught me off guard. I've been dreaming about it for so long that I feel like I'm gonna wake up any moment now and it won't have happened. Tentative date is 11/10/12.

The ring is a .75 carat ideal cut diamond in a platinum setting from a reputable local jeweler. I had always thought that I wanted a sapphire, but the more I wear it, the more I see myself wearing it forever. I LOVE the stone. However, we're going to go back and look at different settings later this week. Is it common to keep the stone and swap out the setting after a surprise proposal? I like the setting, but it is high profile and I work in veterinary medicine, so I'd like to maybe find something a little more practical for my lifestyle.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

SouthernHelle posted:

Looks like I can be an official member of this thread now. :D

pastor of muppets posted:

He proposed Christmas Eve after nearly six years together. Completely caught me off guard. I've been dreaming about it for so long that I feel like I'm gonna wake up any moment now and it won't have happened. Tentative date is 11/10/12.

Congratulations to both of you! I love SouthernHelle's ring, it's just gorgeous!

pastor: I would imagine that it's somewhat commonplace. I know some jewelers will actually let you use a standard setting temporarily, if you know you want something else. That's a very nice stone!

Oh, and I work with animals and wear gloves a lot too. This is the ring I got: http://www.johnnybrookheart.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.32/.f That sort of profile seems to work great with gloves! It's got a little bit of definition, but it only ever presses against my gloves. I haven't lost a single glove in the past year and a half.

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 27, 2011

Low Carb Bread
Sep 6, 2007

Try it out with gloves - you might be surprised. I've seen 2 carat diamonds fit.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Low Carb Bread posted:

Try it out with gloves - you might be surprised. I've seen 2 carat diamonds fit.

I'd believe it. I wear my gloves a bit tighter than I should, and I bet I could accommodate a larger stone no problem. It only gets annoying when my ring rotates because of the pressure and because it's too big for my finger.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
My fiance and I want to do buffet style Greek food for our wedding and I was wondering if anyone had good recommendations for caterers in the Austin, TX area? Long shot, I know, but here's to hoping.

Low Carb Bread
Sep 6, 2007

dopaMEAN posted:

I'd believe it. I wear my gloves a bit tighter than I should, and I bet I could accommodate a larger stone no problem. It only gets annoying when my ring rotates because of the pressure and because it's too big for my finger.

The only issue you would have is if you were scrubbed in for a case. I've seen people sneak in wedding bands but you would have to take an engagement ring off anyway regardless of size.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

WerrWaaa posted:

My fiance and I want to do buffet style Greek food for our wedding and I was wondering if anyone had good recommendations for caterers in the Austin, TX area? Long shot, I know, but here's to hoping.

This may sound weird, but you could try asking at the local Greek church. The secretary there may have a good idea based on who's catered their affairs.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Low Carb Bread posted:

The only issue you would have is if you were scrubbed in for a case. I've seen people sneak in wedding bands but you would have to take an engagement ring off anyway regardless of size.

Thanks for all the advice! I also have super small hands, so maybe just going up a size with the exam gloves will keep it from getting in the way.

I will not be able to get around having to take it off when I'm scrubbing in, though. We're a surgical practice so it'll be at least twice a day. My plan for now is to wear a chain and keep my ring on that when I'm in surgery. No way in HELL am I leaving it sitting around on a countertop or something.

Low Carb Bread
Sep 6, 2007

Good plan. Another alternative would be not to wear it on those days. Someone lost her engagement ring at a nearby hospital. Could have been stolen, or simply lost in the massive cleanup. I've never been in a procedure on a dog or cat but for people there is a masssssiiiive amount of waste generated, due to the huge size of the many drapes involved. So many garbage bags of blood soaked drapes and equipment, the ring would be lost...

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
I work in veterinary medicine as well. I just got my ring and I plan on using a chain for days that I am in surgery. Luckily it's not a huge stone and is fairly flat.

Either way I came into this thread with a question about my ring. It was originally my husband/fiancé's (long story) grandmother's ring, and I am ecstatic to have it. Not only is it a dark blue sapphire (which I wanted) but its simple, means a lot to us and his family, and well.. It was free! The band is white-gold with three little diamonds on each side. It's about half a size too big and hasn't been cleaned in like 50 years but it's beautiful and sentimental. I feel so lucky.

How easy is it to resize rings? We are going in with my father in law to get it resized eventually but im hoping it won't get damaged or anything. How much does it cost to resize things?

We're already married but our families don't really know.. So we finally announced our "engagement" on Christmas. It's a loong story but either way, I have been periodically browsing this thread for forever! Btw It was totally worth announcing in person instead of on Facebook or the phone like I've seen other family members do.

I really want to do fall 2012 but money is an issue.. Luckily I do want a small, inexpensive wedding. I'm pretty excited to start planning this.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
We used an antique ring for my engagement ring and some of the filigree was broken. It only cost around $100 to fix that and resize the ring from 7.5 to 6, so it's not an expensive thing to do. As long as there aren't stones all the way around I imagine just about any ring could be resized.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
Ok that doesn't sound too bad. Anyone have idea what size stone this is?

It's just so weird how his grandmother (who just passed) happened to have a ring so close to what I wanted. No offense to anyone with gigantic rocks, but i personally cant stand flashy stuff, it feels gaudy to me. I like low-set stones with pretty bands. Simple makes me happy :)

Carebear fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 27, 2011

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Carebear posted:

How easy is it to resize rings? We are going in with my father in law to get it resized eventually but im hoping it won't get damaged or anything. How much does it cost to resize things?

Depending on the intricacy... $50 - 350. You shouldn't have any trouble. Resizing your ring looks to be a very straightforward affair so I wouldn't be afraid of damage.

Now, that is a beautiful sapphire (about 2.5 carats, I'd say). If it hasn't been cleaned in 50 years then it's going to be even more beautiful. It's already excellent, but I imagine the gem is going to leap to life once it has been cleaned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
My girlfriend and I have been talking about getting married for a couple of months now. She's definitely the first girl I actually see a future with, as opposed to my last serious GF who I had the discussions with but never saw it materializing in my head.

It's been pretty great so far, her mom is going a little far. She started talking about wedding venues and asking when we'd want to get married after my GF and I had only been together for like, 3 months. I guess it's better than her other daughter, who she wishes had never married her current husband and lovingly calls him "little hitler". Yeah...

Anyway, here's where I am: She wants this diamond ring and like, nothing else. She is in love with this setting and wants a 1 carat stone. I seriously don't know a god damned thing about diamonds and I don't want to go into a shop looking for a princess cut but only have that to go off of.

Please help! I'm on pricescope.com and I am completely in over my head here.

http://design.jared-diamonds.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-matching-bands/ring/item_59-5971.asp

That's the setting she's looking at. Please help me not spend 50,000 because I'm diamond-stupid.

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 27, 2011