Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Dominic? It runs on gzdoom. Use an extraction program like 7zip on the SKYMAYBE EXE file and shove _SMB417.WAD and BLESSED.DEH into your Doom. I recall it also worked on normal ZDoom last time I tried it. Unless there's some DeHacked stuff not going on that should, and I didn't notice.

From a brief glance, the game's even compatible with Russian Overkill! That'll take out the funny DEH stuff, though.

And 10x!

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nahob
Feb 21, 2011

[center]i am invincible[/center]
Does anyone still play Doom with only the keyboard and no mouse? I've switched back to that control scheme and it just has an entirely different feel to it. The only thing though is that playing multiplayer is impossible since a lot of the servers dont have the auto-aim on the Y axis enabled.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

nahob posted:

Does anyone still play Doom with only the keyboard and no mouse? I've switched back to that control scheme and it just has an entirely different feel to it. The only thing though is that playing multiplayer is impossible since a lot of the servers dont have the auto-aim on the Y axis enabled.

Some people, yeah. There have been some really skilled keyboard-only players over the years, including some speedrunning and competitive multiplayer guys. I dunno how they do it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

esselfortium posted:

I dunno why they do it.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Well, that too.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dominic White posted:

Nope. It abuses the Doom engine in ways that no port can comprehend.

This developer's walkthrough is an internet treasure.

Edit: He says that the Doom Legacy engine in openGL mode can handle it, though.
Am I the only one who thinks this guy sounds like Mr. Chriddof?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cobweb Heart posted:

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Dominic? It runs on gzdoom. Use an extraction program like 7zip on the SKYMAYBE EXE file and shove _SMB417.WAD and BLESSED.DEH into your Doom.

Ah, interesting! Last I heard, it broke horribly - haven't tried since. My bad, then.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

So my uploads of the skulltag party thing the other night finally finished, well mostly I guess. Like it says in the description I didn't get the entire thing because I didn't start recording until a bunch of people showed up, and then the recording got cut off because I set it to the wrong drive. But that's how it goes.

Episode 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuY6BNQFTNQ

Episodes 2 & 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iAzc_1nO-0

Oh yeah and

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nahob posted:

I do this all the time with old wads. Oh and not even WASD, arrow keys and strafing by holding Alt.

I mean, that's how I started playing Doom back when I was like 6 years old man, it's burned in.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

SavageMessiah posted:

He (John Romero) actually popped into the development thread to give advice and answer questions.

Install Gentoo posted:

Is there a link to that?
Here's the thread, no idea where Romero posted.

I've been playing some Doom recently, I finished up Plutonia Revisited and am working on Speed of Doom now, both are good.

Doom is really the only game I can come back to once a year or so and still really enjoy it, and it's awesome that there always seem to be great new map packs to blast through.

I've been playing with Doom mapping on and off for like 15 years too but have only put 2 maps out there. I've been itching to map some more, so I started another map tonight.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

PirateNipple posted:

Here's the thread, no idea where Romero posted.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/936515

That's his first post, he makes a few here and there from the on.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 13, 2011

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

0 rows returned posted:

videos

Thanks for this, session was awesome :)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

0 rows returned posted:

So my uploads of the skulltag party thing the other night finally finished, well mostly I guess. Like it says in the description I didn't get the entire thing because I didn't start recording until a bunch of people showed up, and then the recording got cut off because I set it to the wrong drive. But that's how it goes.

Episode 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuY6BNQFTNQ

Episodes 2 & 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iAzc_1nO-0

Oh yeah and

Just gonna point out how :black101: I was through all of it.
Twas fun.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does the version of Doom II on Xbox Live have any sort of local multiplayer? The description on the official site is confusing. It says that the game supports "split screen co-op over Xbox Live." That implies that it's online only, but why the hell would you use split screen if that was the case?

I realize I'll be completely spoiled by Brutal Doom with a mouse + keyboard, but the idea of "couch" multiplayer with Doom entices me. Also I could play that bonus episode I suppose.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
Does anyone know what the first game to use WASD is? Like who is the first person to say "Hey this is a good control scheme for a shooter"?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I think the transition to wasd happened over a few games. Which was the first game it was standard in? I don't know!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Pretty sure the first time I encountered it was when mouselook really became necessary in games like Unreal or Half-Life.

nahob
Feb 21, 2011

[center]i am invincible[/center]

hippieman posted:

Does anyone know what the first game to use WASD is? Like who is the first person to say "Hey this is a good control scheme for a shooter"?

According to Wikipedia:

Wikipedia posted:

The scheme wasn't popularized until competitive play in Quake and subsequently QuakeWorld made clear its advantages over the older arrow key configurations. In the same year that Castle Wolfenstein was released, 1981, the game Wizardry used the AWD keys for movement in a 3D dungeon. Both the programmers of Castle Wolfenstein and Wizardry were users of the earlier PLATO system where the game Moria used the AWD keys.

But I really only switched over to WASD until Half-life multiplayer. My dad still uses the arrow keys in combination with the mouse, uses "/" to jump, the ' key to use. It's all hosed up.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
For the longest time, I stuck with arrow keys, R-Ctrl to crouch, R-Shift to run, Numpad-1 to jump (in Dark Forces), and I think Numpad-0 for any other function that the game needed. And a flight simulator joystick in my right hand.

I dunno, I was a weird kid.

I still have my quirks these days, though. You can pry F=Use from my cold, dead hands.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Some people mentioned a big Blood mod recently, and as I'd never played Blood, I figured why not - GOG to the rescue, and with bmouse, off I went.

I just finished the first episode and... jesus loving christ this game is hard. Every encounter was essentially 'strafe around corner and fire once, then run and hide like a girl before you die instantly'. Ammo was limited, and I missed all the tricky hidden secrets most of the time, which probably made it worse.

I hope the second+ episodes are more fun :(

And bmouse is... sluggish. Shouldn't be surprised I guess, I should be happy it works at all. I probably ought to disable yaxis movement entirely, given how nasty it feels. It's possible to play through all of Blood without looking up or down right?

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Blood is a step up in difficulty from the shooters it was contemporary with.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Blood wouldn't have been so difficult if almost enemy wasn't hitscan and armed with rapid fire guns.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

hippieman posted:

If you mean the first game with the now standard WASD + free mouselook control scheme it was probably Terminator: Future Shock.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
You can play Blood without looking vertically but honestly I can play it just fine even without bMouse. Maybe I've just gotten used to it but since it mostly auto-aims for you it's not like you have to be completely exact.

0 rows returned posted:

Blood wouldn't have been so difficult if almost enemy wasn't hitscan and armed with rapid fire guns.

Serious Sam: BFE...

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Yodzilla posted:

Pretty sure the first time I encountered it was when mouselook really became necessary in games like Unreal or Half-Life.
Half-Life had auto-aim so it was doable without it.

I still think it's kind of strange that WASD caught on and not something like ESDF, which is closer to the usual home row position and gives access to more useful keys.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Minidust posted:

Does the version of Doom II on Xbox Live have any sort of local multiplayer? The description on the official site is confusing. It says that the game supports "split screen co-op over Xbox Live." That implies that it's online only, but why the hell would you use split screen if that was the case?

I realize I'll be completely spoiled by Brutal Doom with a mouse + keyboard, but the idea of "couch" multiplayer with Doom entices me. Also I could play that bonus episode I suppose.

Yep, local multi for up to 4 players. It's a very vanilla port, right down to being locked at 30fps, but the controls work very well. Also the extra episode is really good :)

edit: Just remembered that Doom 3: RoE for the original Xbox has all of Doom I, II and the Master Levels with 4 player multi, so if you have a hard drive you might want to pick that up instead. The only real draw is the extra episode I guess...

Convex fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 13, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
WASD feels slightly more comfortable to me, as my middle and ring finger touch when I use ESDF. I'm not sure why that happens. Do you really need more keys, though? I can't think of an application for more buttons.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

WASD feels slightly more comfortable to me, as my middle and ring finger touch when I use ESDF. I'm not sure why that happens. Do you really need more keys, though? I can't think of an application for more buttons.

I've always used WERD, for pinky access to QAZ. Or ESDF if you insist on that weirdness.

It also moves TGB and XCV into more comfortable positions.

For these old games? No. For more modern stuff, yeah absolutely. Having the extra buttons in reach is handy for the ton of extra stupid functions games have. Or WoW. But I'm going to pretend I didn't play that and hope to never play another mmo that needs that many buttons.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I feel like it's pretty easy to have more than enough buttons in WoW. I haven't played since cataclysmcame out so maybe rotations got more complex but 1-7 with ctrl and shift, plus q, e, and some other nearby buttons to wasd, I had more than enough room for everything, plus some random macros and utility spells that didn't need to be bound necessarily.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Very minor, but this is kind of driving me crazy - is there any way to remove the 'tink tink tink' sound effect of the shells dropping in brutal doom? It sounds so tinny and cheap, and its a constant noise when you're fighting with/around shotguns. Is it possible to dig that sound out of the wad and remove it?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm a leftie, so I use IJKL. Back when I played Quake 3 a lot, I had most of the guns mapped to keys around that for really quick combos.

Modern shooters have like a millions different quick-use keys that need to be mapped, it's so much more comfortable when they're right next to your movement keys.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm a leftie, so I use IJKL. Back when I played Quake 3 a lot, I had most of the guns mapped to keys around that for really quick combos.

Modern shooters have like a millions different quick-use keys that need to be mapped, it's so much more comfortable when they're right next to your movement keys.
What modern shooters have you been playing?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hard Doom Resurrection apparently just came out

http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30341

I was just about to ask why there don't seem to be many monster upgrade/add/replacement mods, well, there's one!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Even back in the day, most people I knew played Doom with a mouse. Arrow keys for move/strafe and the other functions on r-ctrl and numpad.

Also, NOVERT.COM.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I used to play Doom on a Mac, and I didn't strafe. Completing the first episode on Ultra Violence was quite the experience.

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...
I don't know how we ended up with this control scheme, but everyone in my family uses it.

Forward (left click)
Back (right click)
Strafe Left (S)
Strafe Right (D)
Fire (V)
Alt-fire (B)
Jump (Space)
Run (Shift)
Crouch (Ctrl)
Use (Usually F for my brothers, I like my Performance MX's thumb trigger)

Sounds weird, but it's absolute magic. My hands get super cramped with WASD, but if you just put your pinky on shift your other fingers will rest on s, d, and v naturally. And you have quicker access to more hotkeys.
Also works on keyboard only games if they let you rebind controls.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Stuntman posted:

What modern shooters have you been playing?

Wondering this as well. I can't name a modern shooter where WASD makes the controls cumbersome.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Even back in the day, most people I knew played Doom with a mouse. Arrow keys for move/strafe and the other functions on r-ctrl and numpad.

Also, NOVERT.COM.

Well excuse me mister fancypants but my 486 didn't even have a mouse!

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.
I have no idea how I passed the shareware version of Duke Nukem 3D on Come Get Some without strafing or using the mouse when I was 11 or 12. It seems so hard to me now. I must have gotten worse at playing FPSs as I aged. Or just less patient.

I did play Blood the other day with no mouse. I used WASD to move and the arrow keys to turn. So basically normal modern controls but with arrow keys instead of the mouse x-axis and no looking up or down. It wasn't too bad but it still seems wrong.

I started using the mouse the "modern" way while playing Unreal. I read in the manual or somewhere that they recommended using the mouse and the number pad, so that's what I did until I got Half-Life, which had WASD by default. Now that's all I use. But the first few times I played Unreal, I didn't use the mouse. It was hilarious. I was so clumsy. I knew something was wrong with my control method when I had to ask my friend to aim for me at an enemy that was shooting me while I tried to avoid sliding down a slope into lava.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

Gargonovitch posted:

I don't know how we ended up with this control scheme, but everyone in my family uses it.

Forward (left click)
Back (right click)
Strafe Left (S)
Strafe Right (D)
Fire (V)
Alt-fire (B)
Jump (Space)
Run (Shift)
Crouch (Ctrl)
Use (Usually F for my brothers, I like my Performance MX's thumb trigger)

Sounds weird, but it's absolute magic. My hands get super cramped with WASD, but if you just put your pinky on shift your other fingers will rest on s, d, and v naturally. And you have quicker access to more hotkeys.
Also works on keyboard only games if they let you rebind controls.

At first I thought you were crazy but this actually sounds pretty ergonomic, especially if you're using a laptop where the keyboard is fixed to the monitor and using WASD would require bending your wrist sideways.