Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Breaking in two?

Yeah, boats are trying to snap in half all the time. Here's an example. The :spergin: who took the time to read this will notice that the incident was caused, IIRC, by the crew deciding to empty out a pair of ballast tanks (Emptying just one would list the boat over way too much) in the middle of a storm to go weld.

Oh God, i've read too many of these, for any number of different preventable reasons where the section dealing with Master / Ratings included the names of friends and aquaintances. :negative:

All having to do with the time I used my license in various Bering Sea fisheries. Back in the day before the USCG had more of a presence in the fishing industry some of the players involved were less than concerned with safety of life at sea. Ugh, gently caress fishermen, (not all) stupid and greedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

potentiometer posted:

Ugh, gently caress fishermen, (not all) stupid and greedy.

There's also the fact that they don't have the shore based support / hindrance that we do, nor the binders upon binders of procedures and "FOR gently caress'S SAKES DON'T DO THAT!!!!" posters.

We take some pretty loving amazing shortcuts sometimes, if it wasn't for someone at some point in the chain going ":stare: You are not doing that." then you'd see a lot more amazing poo poo involving merchant ships.

Using the provision crane to check the after draft is always a favorite of mine; someone's gonna get dunked some day. Although a special mention goes to the guy who fixed a leak between a ballast tank and a hold with wall putty.

I'd say we should have a contest for the worst jury-rig ever, but a) The engineers would win and b) I don't have pictures of that time we had to rig chain blocks under the hatch crane, then have guys sitting on the hatch covers pulling them.

Edit: I can't reference the MV FLARE without quoting this part of the report:

TSB posted:

The stern section sank in about half an hour. As it was sinking, some of the crew on the port side of the poop deck saw the bow of a vessel apparently approaching on a near reciprocal course. Their immediate impression was that a rescue vessel was at hand; however, they were dismayed to find that it was the bow section of the "FLARE".

There's the making of an horror movie in there.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 27, 2011

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

We take some pretty loving amazing shortcuts sometimes

My point is more that this should be the exception to the rule, as opposed to the rule. Although as I mentioned this has thankfully changed in recent years

TSB posted:

The stern section sank in about half an hour. As it was sinking, some of the crew on the port side of the poop deck saw the bow of a vessel apparently approaching on a near reciprocal course. Their immediate impression was that a rescue vessel was at hand; however, they were dismayed to find that it was the bow section of the "FLARE".

I saw that, gently caress...words can't describe what these guys were feeling, thinking when they realized their rescue vessel was indeed their bow section that apparently the stern section had motored around to.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

potentiometer posted:

I saw that, gently caress...words can't describe what these guys were feeling, thinking when they realized their rescue vessel was indeed their bow section that apparently the stern section had motored around to.

Here's a more light-hearted Canadian maritime accident, the Windoc.

Youtube Video

TSB report

One of the few incidents in history where a bridge was held responsible for a collision.

(I say light hearted because amazingly, nobody got hurt, so it's generally regarded as more of a "What the gently caress" occurence.)

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 27, 2011

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Here's a more light-hearted Canadian maritime accident, the Windoc.

Youtube Video

TSB report

One of the few incidents in history where a bridge was held responsible for a collision.

(I say light hearted because amazingly, nobody got hurt, so it's generally regarded as more of a "What the gently caress" occurence.)

Ha! thats a hilarious read! I'm gonna go back and finish it, but first for comedy value, "we prefer to go under 'em"

http://web.archive.org/web/20080504230717/http://koti.mbnet.fi/~soldier/towboat.htm

I swear there used to be a video of either this or an identical incedent but my google-fu is lacking today.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Transocean and Maersk have decent offshore gigs, should be easy with a 2E. Someone on here just started with Transocean as a 2E I think.

Im just trying to get off here asap. I've stopped asking why questions.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I don't think there's a video existing since it happened in like the 70's or so... But you never know; those pictures have been everywhere anyway. I'm pretty sure I saw them in two different PowerPoints in Nautical School.

Pretty loving lucky that the engine would still go after being flipped upside down. can't imagine how much of a pain in the rear end it was cleaning out all the upholstery and poo poo... And the mess in the galley, I can barely imagine.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

FrozenVent posted:

Breaking in two?

Classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-QNAwUdHUQ

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
Just upgraded to 2nd Engineer Motor/Steam Any Horsepower. Only took a month for Coast Guard to review it.

Any questions about the process I'd be happy to answer.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Congrats, that's a big one!

Whatcha gonna do with all that money? And, uh, review? What's that about? They just hand us the ticket after the oral...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

Whatcha gonna do with all that money? And, uh, review? What's that about? They just hand us the ticket after the oral...

Better than the dutch system... I get depressed thinking about how many more exams I've got to do to get my chief's, then some dutch guy comes along eating some cornflakes and his chief's falls out of the packet...

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

USCG checks seatime, gives license. We take our 2E license exam for our 3E.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fish Shalami posted:

Just upgraded to 2nd Engineer Motor/Steam Any Horsepower. Only took a month for Coast Guard to review it.

Any questions about the process I'd be happy to answer.

You kept a steam endorsement, what's the requirement for keeping that upgraded along with motor?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

USCG checks seatime, gives license. We take our 2E license exam for our 3E.

Sea time review always take forever, I think that's universal.

I need something like 16 more months for my Master Mariner, time as Chief Mate counting double... And there's this gigantic study guide for Ship Management sitting right there on my desk, I should get around to reading it or something.

Edit: Also gotta take Engineering Knowledge 2. Fuel goes in, thingy spins, boat moves... How hard can it be?

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 2, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Engines work like this:
Fuel goes in, engine goes GRRRRR, and you get some power out. It's pretty simple, really.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

There's something involving "Load" too, but it doesn't involve cargo so it can't be that important.

Oh yeah, thing I learned the hard way last night: #1 GPS is hardwired into both radars, the AIS, and the ECS. So if it goes... Everything goes. Although once the ECS stops bugging out, you can switch position source to #2 GPS. Still don't have, you know, speed input for the ARPA. Not that you need that or anything.

(I'm talking in a coastal situation here; I kinda like having ground stabillized vectors.)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I can't understand you when you talk spanish. Can you just tell me what's needed and we'll do it?

Seriously, I'm sure what you just said means something pretty bad, I just have no idea what you're on about.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Seriously, I'm sure what you just said means something pretty bad, I just have no idea what you're on about.

It's not bad, it's just a lack of redudancy that could be solved by plugging wire B into slot B instead of wire A... But I'm not supposed to stick my hands in there, so it's gonna be my project for the month, trying to get that fixed.

FV's classic wall-of-text post incoming:

Basically, the djee-pee-ess is this little thingy that tells you where the boat is. (Ok, it tells you where the antenna is, but let's not get picky) The GPS puts out stuff like time, lattitude, longitude, speed over ground, course over ground, you know, your basic poo poo, and sends it out over a bunch of wires. (I'm not calling it a network, network implies some sense of order. This poo poo is rat nest bad.)

So first up we get the Electronic Chart System, which is a lot like the GPS in your car or whatever. Shows you where the boat is on a map. It also gets data from the gyros (So the little ship on the map is pointing the right way), wind indicator (Cause I need to know which way it's blowing), AIS (So the other boats around show up on it and I can miss them) and from the RADAR (So it looks cool. Ok, you can use it to check position accuracy, but mostly it's to crash the computer and/or look cool.)

The ECS is pretty important since it integrates most of the navigation information I need, so I can assess the situation at a glance. See where I need to turn and whatever. I can navigate without it, but it makes my life easier - Like doing your taxes in Quicken or whatever instead of using a calculator.

Then you got the radars. Them's the spinny things on top of the wheelhouse, with the green spiny thing on the round screen. It's kinda useful since it shows you where land is, and boats, especially those little fuckers that don't have AIS. Now radar'll work without position information no problem, although if you do have position info fed into it, you can overlay buoys and poo poo, and your navigational awareness improves. That's apparently a good thing.

Thing about radar is, it shows you where poo poo is NOW, in relation to the antenna, not where poo poo is going and where you're going and if both you and the target are going to end up trying to occupy the same spot of ocean at the same time. (That's bad.) What you do is you track how the dude is moving on your screen, and since the center of the screen is fixed at your antenna, that gives you a relative vector. Shows how the dude is moving in relation to you - if that vector runs over the center, that's bad. Cause you're the center.

Alright now you know where the guy is gonna end up in relation to you, that's awesome. Except you don't know which way he's facing, where he's headed and so on, which would be useful info considering that the collision prevention regulations (The rules deckies spend a year studying that basically says "TURN RIGHT, EXCEPT WHEN YOU DON'T!") mostly depends on what side the other guy is showing you. Plus you want to know what the guy's doing - You can resolve a situation without true vector info, but it makes you a bit more confident when you have it.

So you take the relative vector, and substract your own vector to it (Your speed and course) to get the other guy's course and speed. Now the speed indicator on your boat is broke (Lochs are always broken.) so where do you get your speed info? From a bunch of US DOD satellites, where else?

So the radar's got this computer-type thing integrated called an ARPA - Automatic Radar Plotting Aid. It saves me the trouble of doing the vector mumbo-jumbo by hand. That thing needs speed and course info to work, tho, hence the connection to the GPS (Yeah, I know about echo reference, but let's keep it to the basics here)

Then there's the AIS, Automatic Identification System. You know what a transponder is? Yeah, it's that. Transmits your position, course over ground, heading (Yeah, there's a difference), speed over ground, status, name, callsign... Of course if it doesn't have position information, you're suddenly no longer transmitting a position. Vessel Traffic Services do not like that, depending on how busy it is and how awake they are, they will sometime tell you your AIS is down before you realize it yourself.

Alright, so we got two radars / ARPA, the AIS and the ECS, all needing position info. We have two GPS to supply that information (Plus a third on a different circuit, but whatever), which makes sense, right? GPS #1 goes down, you still got GPS #2, one of the radars, and for the low low cost of a loving switch you could also have the AIS.

Except it's not set up that way. GPS #1 feeds everything, GPS #2 exists in it's own little world. So last night, GPS #1 went down. You know those airplane crash documentaries, when the poo poo hits the fan and everything's beeping? Kinda like that.

Except instead of a recorded voice going "Too low terrain! Too low terrain!", I had an AB goin "Uh that thing's frozen. Oh now the screen's blue. Do you really have to call the Captain? Oh hey that radar's crashing too now. Can I stop the beeping on this thing? You kids nowadays are completely lost without technology... Oh hey it won't tell me how far off the course I am now."

TL;DR: Somebody didn't plan the navigation suite on this boat quite right, and we're a single failure point from navigational hell.

Edit: Oh God it's me I'm the sperg.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hahaha, you're as bad as me when I start talking about engineering stuff. Last time I tried it this chick's eyes just totally glazed over, it was hilarious.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Does this video bring a tear to your eye whenever you see it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's the first time I've seen it, so no.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Merlot Brougham posted:

So one time, we're in a gale around Seven Islands - IE, as far down as you can take a lake boat. The drat boat is twisting and bending like crazy, and we're rolling and pitching all over. Everything that isn't nailed down is either laying in a heap against the wall or on its way there.

Captain's on the bridge, trying to figure out what heading she'll ride better on, and we got the satellite radio on the country channel when that song comes on. I don't think I've ever seen a Captain change a radio station that loving fast; we had Top 20 or whatever for the rest of the watch.

But no, it doesn't bring a tear to my eye. Either overexposure or cynicism.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Two Finger posted:

Hahaha, you're as bad as me when I start talking about engineering stuff. Last time I tried it this chick's eyes just totally glazed over, it was hilarious.

I'm so glad there was a nice coastie boat here a few months ago that I could grill about all the fancy screens and buttons they had in their pilothouse.

Merlot Brougham posted:

Freaks me out because the school I go to had a cadet on that boat at the time, poor bastard never got to have a career. Every cadet's worst nightmare... never getting your license. Just think of his friends, family, anyone who cosigned his student loans :v:

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 3, 2011

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Does anyone know the state of jobs in the UK, I see some companies will sponsor the training for a diploma or degree, does anyone know how hotly contended the maritime job market is here?

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

shovelbum posted:

You kept a steam endorsement, what's the requirement for keeping that upgraded along with motor?

Sorry, I'm in Costa Rica with crappy internet service so wasn't able to check this for a while.

You need at least 300 days on one propulsion type to upgrade your license, and then another 120 days on top of that if you want to upgrade a different propulsion type.

So I did 300-something on steam and then exactly 120 on a diesel.

e; that's for going 3rd to 2 a/e obviously. I believe it's also an extra 120 days supplemental on top of whatever sea days you need to require you're base license. I don't plan on advancing my steam anymore though.

I was talking to a naval architect for Chevron and he was telling me that no more ships are going to be built with steam plants because they are just too inefficient. He was working on the LNG side of things too who are normally keen to use steam plants.

Fish Shalami fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 4, 2011

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Hm, extremely condescending chief and 1st? Time to play stupid 3rd! Which is actually kind of fun and amusing but really the only hard part about this job is finding some way to gently caress it up.

I hate this poo poo so much I want to go home.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
If you act stupid they won't ask you to do as much.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Yeah but then you never get to do anything fun.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Fish Shalami posted:

If you act stupid they won't ask you to do as much.

Corollary for deck officers: You've never heard of this "Excel" thing.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

lightpole posted:

Yeah but then you never get to do anything fun.

Well this is where it gets tricky. You have to seed some ideas in the beginning of the trip and hint that you hate certain things that you actually like to work on. Then when they think they are giving you a poo poo job you'll actually enjoy it

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009
I'm graduating school this month with an Associates Degree from a tech school in Electrical Technology which is basically a bunch of industrial electrical classes, some commercial, and residential with a healthy dose of the NEC. Is there a school or apprenticeship program for becoming a marine electrician? I'm perfectly willing to spend money on classes provided I can do it while working or on some distance learning program.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Fish Shalami posted:

Well this is where it gets tricky. You have to seed some ideas in the beginning of the trip and hint that you hate certain things that you actually like to work on. Then when they think they are giving you a poo poo job you'll actually enjoy it

This never works as planned. Besides, there's always sewage. Noone bothers you then.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

tworavens posted:

I'm graduating school this month with an Associates Degree from a tech school in Electrical Technology which is basically a bunch of industrial electrical classes, some commercial, and residential with a healthy dose of the NEC. Is there a school or apprenticeship program for becoming a marine electrician? I'm perfectly willing to spend money on classes provided I can do it while working or on some distance learning program.

I don't know about the US, but the rest of world has pretty much scrapped the Marine Electrician/Electro Technical Officer (ETO) Role. So basically if you want to do Electrical stuff on ships, you are going to have to work for a living and get dirty and just be a Engineer.

And spend 8 hours a day cleaning purifiers.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Self unloaders still have electricians; they're unlicensed and they mostly just operate the self-unloading system. There's some electrical work in between dumps, light bulbs and wiring, electro brakes on the hatch crane, that kind of poo poo. I sometime suspect our guy of just walking around with a meter to look busy.

In Canada they ship out through the SIU. There's a short electrician course they offer in the winter, I don't know what qualification they look for exactly.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I may be mistaken, but doesn't the new STCW have Electrical Officers or something?

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011

shovelbum posted:

Also interested in hearing about breaking into the oil field jobs, what has been helpful in landing those for people? I'm just a scrub-rear end cadet so I figure better start asking this stuff early.

Deck or engine?
Offshore is booming. Just got hired by transocean as a thirdmate on a drill ship in west africa. Pay is stupid good. Industry is hurt for DPO's as a result of a some new laws. Honestly if you can get into drilling i don't know why you would go any place else.

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011

tworavens posted:

google QMED (qualified member of engineering department). It is an unlicensed rating. One of which is electrician....along with pumpman, machinest, ect. Lots of places offer classes.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PowerJew posted:

Deck or engine?

I'm engine side in the US, that still a good gig to look into? I know the deck guys can get on one hell of a gravy train with that DPO stuff.

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009

PowerJew posted:

google QMED (qualified member of engineering department). It is an unlicensed rating. One of which is electrician....along with pumpman, machinest, ect. Lots of places offer classes.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Electricians are still around. I sailed as one through the MFOW making more than most 3E's doing a lot less work and learned on the job. The 1sts leave you alone if they think you know what you are doing and you have a job far away from them.

REO's are also still around if you have any basic endorsement and the relevant FCC license or whatever it takes. The one on my last ship got 2nds rate and 100 hours guaranteed OT a month. All anyone really wanted was for him to sit in his room and not touch anything but he insisted on sitting around, bugging the mates on the bridge for some reason.

gently caress AK in the winter. I've never been seasick, let alone so bad I spent a day vomiting and 2 not eating. Also gently caress this ship for the excruciating pitching.

• Locked thread