Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mr. Toast posted:

Sounds like that test driver was making the mistake of shifting at peak power, thinking that the powerband ended there. Area under the curve guys :doh:
Apparently he's a pro drifter :v:

Wikipedia posted:

Ken Gushi is one of Japan's top competitors in the sport of drifting. Born in Okinawa, Japan, but raised in Los Angeles, he was taught by his father Tsukasa Gushi at the age of 13 with a Toyota AE86.[1] Ken has become the youngest competitor in both the D1 Grand Prix of Japan and the Formula Drift Championships of the U.S. when he was 16 despite not passing his driving test at the time.
And found something on height...well not about the clearance but this guy likes it at least:
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/11/27/new-car-gt-a-closer-look-at-the-toyota-86.aspx

quote:

Best thing of all for me however was how drat well I fit inside. At 6'2" the driving position of most Japanese cars is always way to high for me but I sank right into the 86's supportive seat, an instant thumbs up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Worse than that, peak torque is @ 6600 rpm. He was shifting @ 6500 rpm.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

japtor posted:

And found something on height...well not about the clearance but this guy likes it at least:
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/11/27/new-car-gt-a-closer-look-at-the-toyota-86.aspx

Good find. I'm officially semi-hard now.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

ROFLBOT posted:

Given the current parity of the AUD with the USD the last few posts just highlight how much more we pay for cars over here :(

Don't forget us Canadians too. When you slap on a 13% sales tax and the fact that cars are naturally 1-2k more expensive here, suddenly the 370z doesn't seem so attractive anymore.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

Step 1. Ignore science

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Something tells me the most popular mod for this car will be lowering springs, followed closely by cheap coilovers. Although, I guess that can be said about any car marketed to young people.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The most popular mod is going to be a huge wing and a fart can. Do you live on mars?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Mr. Toast posted:

Sounds like that test driver was making the mistake of shifting at peak power, thinking that the powerband ended there. Area under the curve guys :doh:

This poo poo drives me insane you have no idea. There was a guy on rennlist who tracked his boxster and did the area under the curve bit but... with torque instead of power. He ended up shifting below peak power.

Just so frustrating how everybody seems to have their own idea on this.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
If this thread is any indication, the most popular mod will be an 86 badge.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Talking about 370Z pricing / any Nissan pricing / any Nissan future product is highly speculative since Ghosn rants constantly about how the yen conversion and Japanese manufacturing is loving his price competitiveness and that the days of Jap-built Nissans are over. So who knows how much your 220Z built in Singapore or Malaysia or Peru or wherever would cost.

But yes, the 370Z is coming from an architecture from before the Mustang was competitive, so Nissan allowed all sorts of compromises to share design/parts with the G3X's. It -might- make sense for Nissan to move the 300 series more upsize to compete with Mustangs, Camaros etc on power and make a new, smaller, lighter weight variant. Or it might not.

Not to get too meta but my worst fear for the Toyobaru is that it's coming out at a time where worldwide people's spare cash to buy sports cars is slim and lessening. This is why marketing it as a Scion - the Toyota division for millenials and grandmamas, i.e. the young unemployed and the elderly whose retirement plans have vanished - is probably the worst move Toyota can make. I'm worried that the general economy and mis-aimed marketing will stunt sales, making Toyota think the concept itself was a flop and that they need to keep ramming ever-larger Camrys down our gaping maws.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Snowdens Secret posted:

Not to get too meta but my worst fear for the Toyobaru is that it's coming out at a time where worldwide people's spare cash to buy sports cars is slim and lessening. This is why marketing it as a Scion - the Toyota division for millenials and grandmamas, i.e. the young unemployed and the elderly whose retirement plans have vanished - is probably the worst move Toyota can make. I'm worried that the general economy and mis-aimed marketing will stunt sales, making Toyota think the concept itself was a flop and that they need to keep ramming ever-larger Camrys down our gaping maws.

Branding it at as a Scion will be no worse than branding it as a Toyota - the Toyota division for boring people and people with no taste in cars.

If the sales of this car are bad, which is reviewing really well, Toyota will be absolutely correct in thinking this attempt was not successful.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Branding it as a Scion in Canada would be a poor decision on their part seeing how the brand only just came here officially a couple years ago and the average person that does not know that Lexus = Toyota = Scion will likely pay it no attention at all. Branding it as a Toyota would save them a lot of grief in marketing.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Naky posted:

Branding it as a Scion in Canada would be a poor decision on their part seeing how the brand only just came here officially a couple years ago and the average person that does not know that Lexus = Toyota = Scion will likely pay it no attention at all. Branding it as a Toyota would save them a lot of grief in marketing.

Honestly, I think the converse is true. A halo car like the FR-S for Scion would help raise brand awareness, which they really DO need to get people to pay attention here in Canada. I barely see any Scions on the road yet, and I routinely hop around the GTA. Scion Canada needs this car more than Scion USA.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

oRenj9 posted:

^^ You...must be a sight to behold...

Besides the looks, what made the Silva so great? I understand the love for the Miatas, RX-7s, Camaros (to some degree), 90s Hondas, and other sporty cars. But, I never really did see the draw of the 240sx. I understand that it is RWD, but didn't it get a crappy truck motor in the U.S.? I always felt that the Integra or Prelude were much better cars over all than the 240. The only people I ever hear talking about them do so in the context of drifting.
They behave largely like a slightly overgrown Miata. TThe single cam KA was a real dog, but, like the chassis, took a huge amount of abuse. Either KA takes pretty well to boost, and you can always stick all manner of other motors in their easily. A durable, upgradeable chassis with good performance characteristics out of the box, excellent driver feedback and position, reliable, huge performance potential. What's not to like?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Naky posted:

Toyota realizes this. All the new Canadian Scion ads I've seen have all said, "MADE BY TOYOTA, CUSTOMIZED BY YOU."

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Wrar posted:

What's not to like?

The rust? That's what got mine. :(

nattrass
Feb 2, 2009
Uh oh, looks like it has been cancelled again....

http://sniffpetrol.com/2011/12/12/toyota-changes-mind/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nattrass posted:

Uh oh, looks like it has been cancelled again....

http://sniffpetrol.com/2011/12/12/toyota-changes-mind/

:golfclap:

Never change, sniffpetrol.com.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

\\\"japtor\\\" posted:

Apparently he\\\'s a pro drifter :v:

That wiki is an utter joke. Ken Gushi being one of Japan\'s top drifter, yeah right. He was one of America\\\'s top drifters back in the early to mid 2000s but lately he hasn\'t broken into the top 10 Formula D.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 16, 2011

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Never change, sniffpetrol.com.

Wait, am I looking at an automotive themed/version of the onion? Or is this actual news?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

thealphabetsez posted:

Wait, am I looking at an automotive themed/version of the onion? Or is this actual news?

it's like the onion if you made the onion about cars and then replaced all the staff with hamfisted retards

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, they don't really do things like 'subtlety' or 'wit', for instance.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Q_res posted:

Yeah, they don't really do things like 'subtlety' or 'wit', for instance.

that is not to say it isnt hilarious, however.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Laserface posted:

that is not to say it isnt hilarious, however.

It's not hilarious for the reasons that they want it to be hilarious.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

thealphabetsez posted:

It's a blog done by some of the writers of UK Top Gear. And occasionally Clarkson, May and Hammond.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TRD edition and Modelista have both been spotted at some event.

TRD option is pretty :fap:

Modelista is uhhh, good I guess? better than the average one.

I wish there was some decent photographers invited to this poo poo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It doesn't take either body kit to conclude that the car's curves look great in white.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

It doesn't take either body kit to conclude that the car's curves look great in white.

Washing your car every week so it retains some semblance of cleanliness for a few hours is not so great though*

*white car owner.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Laserface posted:

Washing your car every week so it retains some semblance of cleanliness for a few hours is not so great though*

*white car owner.
But you can't polish a TRD?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Lowered, and a definite rims improvement. The body kit is 'ok', getting a bit of a GTR vibe on the those streaks along the front extension. At least the wing is a trunk lip extension and not some ghastly Autozone abortion.

Still, can't be a body kit without red brake calipers! :v:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

InitialDave posted:

But you can't polish a TRD?

You're simply the best.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Laserface posted:

Washing your car every day so it retains some semblance of cleanliness for a few minutes is not so great though*

*black car owner.

Fixed. White car owners don't get to complain.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

TrueChaos posted:

Fixed. White car owners don't get to complain.

Agreed, having owned both, I feel that white is extremely low maintenance compared to black. gently caress black cars.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I have a black car, too, so it'd be a wash. :laugh:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I have a black car, too, so it'd be it needs a wash. :laugh:

All kidding aside, I think black is the best color on most cars (especially on "nice" cars), two of three cars that I've owned have been black, and my current car is black.

But there's a very good chance my next car will not be black. Having a car painted in a color that doesn't highlight every single imperfection, swirl mark, and speck of dirt will be a welcome change.

I'm really torn on white. On most cars, white is so bland and soul-sucking, but that's because most white cars are dull Toyotas and Hyundais and Fords which all seem to use the same ugly white paint that you can find on your washing machine. Due to that I equate white in my head with other terribly bland colors like beige and silver. On the other hand, I'm really liking white on some of the newer BMWs and Porsches, and also on the BRZ/GT86; cars that actually have interesting body styles and features that are not just big slabs.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 18, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
FT86 will be in the upcoming Gran Turismo 5 update, no word on the BRZ or Forza 4 yet.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

Agreed, having owned both, I feel that white is extremely low maintenance compared to black. gently caress black cars.

Silver seems to be the most immune to showing marks. my friend has a black car and it looks dirty even after a wash. White gets very dirty for me from soot and brake dust.

at least silver hides paint chips a lot better than any other colour, its just too bad its boring as gently caress to look at.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Laserface posted:

its just too bad its boring as gently caress to look at.
Agreed, I hate silver cars and I hate how prevalent they are now. Most silver cars just look like dirty white cars to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

oRenj9 posted:

Agreed, I hate silver cars

But this one looks gooood:

Oh wait, actually it looks totally bland when the light is just right and erases the surfaces:

• Locked thread