Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Dren posted:

Blue Dante + Blue Vergil is so annoying, I can never tell if I'm hitting the point or the assist.

Add Blue Phoenix Wright as your third team member to blend in with Blue Vergil, Team "Who Am I Hitting?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Seizure Robot posted:

There are a few videos on youtube showing Nova combos that make it all the way to level 5 frank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUvxJo7CYUY I think this is corner only? I don't play Nova so I dunno but it's also pretty good damage for what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQCSL6Bk87A One being done from midscreen.

I like these videos because he calls for the power of Frank!

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Welp, I've found my last team. And it seems super evil.

Dr. strange (bolts of balthaak)/super skrull(orbital grude)/morrigan (dark harmonizer).

Dr. strange bread and butter + morrigan assist is like 190% meter, over 200% if you lead into the combo off of a projectile. This is enough extra meter to read books like a professor, or to DHC into skrull, which does 950k damage btw. Skrull assist can help dr. strange make his buttons far safer to press.

Super skrull gets a lot of really silly set ups off of dr. stranges bolt's of balthaak assist. If the enemy crouches it you can command grab them, if they block it you can move in for mixup (even a tick grab off of standing l!), if they jump it or chicken block it that's just another chance to grab them. Skrull does 750-850k damage depending on if you wanna spend one or two meters for his basic bread and butter combos, and likely around 650k off of a command or normal throw. Morrigan assist helps skrull make sure he's always got enough meter to spend to get some extra damage.

And xf3 morrigan with some meter to spend is a fairly scary anchor, just based off of turning the game into bullet hell. I wasn't really concerned about how dr stranges and skrulls assists work with morrigan, but it turns out they both help her keep away game rather solidly.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
So goons I've got a question to ask, but first a little backstory. My team is Cap/Sent/Nova. I've been mainly OCV'ing with Cap or coming back with Nova, my Sentinel is always an assist/DHC, whenever he's on point I feel like he's dead weight. My current strategy with sentinel mostly consists of random j.S and c.M, with the occasional command grab.

Watching Barfights last night really inspired me to change that, Knives' Sentinel play was probably the best I've seen (even better than Fanatic's). So today I spent a couple of hours actually learning his real BnB (fly, unfly, double jump) rather than just magic series, and I've got that down. However I've still got two things I'd like to improve on.

Firstly my Sentinel seems extremely unwieldy in comparison, what I saw last night was some excellent space control using his aerial normals and flight cancelling. I'd like to know if there's any general rules I could go by to work towards emulating this.

Secondly, and the main thing that inspired my post, the mixup on incoming characters where you fly into j.S is giving me a few problems. If they pushblock I can never seem to get close enough to them before they land to go for the air throw, what am I doing wrong? It just occured to me that it might be a flight cancel to hit the ground fast enough, but I'd like some confirmation from anybody that knows. If they just regular block, I've been dashing in for the command grab, which worked a few times until my friend/training dummy came in, blocked, then jumped causing the whiffed grab.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fellblade posted:

Firstly my Sentinel seems extremely unwieldy in comparison, what I saw last night was some excellent space control using his aerial normals and flight cancelling. I'd like to know if there's any general rules I could go by to work towards emulating this.

Secondly, and the main thing that inspired my post, the mixup on incoming characters where you fly into j.S is giving me a few problems. If they pushblock I can never seem to get close enough to them before they land to go for the air throw, what am I doing wrong? It just occured to me that it might be a flight cancel to hit the ground fast enough, but I'd like some confirmation from anybody that knows. If they just regular block, I've been dashing in for the command grab, which worked a few times until my friend/training dummy came in, blocked, then jumped causing the whiffed grab.

Controlling the air space is a matter of positioning and having a read on your opponent so you do it when it's safe or they're about to jump. As far as the inputs go it's simple. Fly, j.M, unfly, j.M on falling. After you hit do a double jump and follow up with another j.M a j.H if you're close enough, and a j.S.

Not sure what you're doing wrong on fly into meaty j.S on incoming. I don't do that mixup very often. I do know that you can't unfly cancel the j.S to counter pushblock since doing j.S automatically makes you unfly. What I do on incoming is dash under (or don't dash under, mind games oooooooh) and go for s.M or c.M. If you time c.M right it's godlike. If they try to hit you out of your c.M (and you timed it right) the armor will be active and sent will win. If they don't hit buttons it's a low attack and you crossed up with the dash under, which means it's hard to block. s.M also has armor and stuffs attempts to press buttons. It's good when you're not sure you're in position for c.M.

As far as normal fighting goes you never want to throw out c.M in response to someone who is on you. You should pushblock to create some space then do something like dash up s.M, fly j.M's, jump forward j.H j.S, or activate flight, fly into their face and drop a j.S. And remember to throw out some rocket punches when you're at the edges of rocket punch range because rocket punch is awesome and you'll catch people who press buttons or try to zone you. When you get people conditioned to think you're coming at them from the air or with s.M you throw out a c.M. On block you can cancel c.M into rocket punch (which is a frame trap) then combo into HSF. You can also flight cancel c.M and follow up with j.L j.S.

Personally, I don't use sent's L and c.L enough and I'm not sure when the best times to throw them out are since they're sort of slow.

Dren fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 13, 2011

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

For any of you who need help on RR, this vid should help y'all out with getting in and mixing up with Basedcoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLnMYbKxcd8

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Guilty posted:

I like these videos because he calls for the power of Frank!

I literally changed my starter team to Nova/Frank/Wesker because of this video and POWER OF FRANK is never going to get old.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

What the gently caress? No Local Multiplayer? Are you serious?!

I bet we can work around it by playing in training mode with regenerating health off.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Elephunk posted:

What the gently caress? No Local Multiplayer? Are you serious?!

I bet we can work around it by playing in training mode with regenerating health off.

Is this a copy/paste from somewhere?

Offline mode -> Versus.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
I thought the buffs in Heroes and Heralds were permanent but I just noticed those little icons below the lifebars. Some seem to active after a specific instance like Invisibility after snapback and super armor while getting hit.

What kind of decks are you guys planning on running?

I have two I want to try out:

Wesker on point
Team of One (Assuming this gives a ton of health like a Ratio 4 character in CvS2)
Super Armor
Projectile Immunity

Sentinel on point (for quick wave dash and super armor normals)
Assist Stun
Super Armor Assist
X-Factor Burst (For when you do get hit)
(Mystic Eye and Vajra Assist for maximum salt)

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

The_Cack posted:

I thought the buffs in Heroes and Heralds were permanent but I just noticed those little icons below the lifebars. Some seem to active after a specific instance like Invisibility after snapback and super armor while getting hit.

What kind of decks are you guys planning on running?

I have two I want to try out:

Wesker on point
Team of One (Assuming this gives a ton of health like a Ratio 4 character in CvS2)
Super Armor
Projectile Immunity

Sentinel on point (for quick wave dash and super armor normals)
Assist Stun
Super Armor Assist
X-Factor Burst (For when you do get hit)
(Mystic Eye and Vajra Assist for maximum salt)

Team of one gives you 3 of the same character (which is why it has Multiple Man's picture)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Niddhogg posted:

Team of one gives you 3 of the same character (which is why it has Multiple Man's picture)

3 sentinels baby. Never gonna stop.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Niddhogg posted:

hahaha that's just as good!

Actually that's better for red life regen...

AntifaSupersoldier fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 13, 2011

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
So many drones. :gonk:

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day
3 Weskers.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Chocolate America posted:

3 Weskers.

Three against three :smug:.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Watching the "Team of One" bit in the trailer, there's only one health bar. This might mean there aren't any assists with it.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Boxman posted:

Is this a copy/paste from somewhere?

Offline mode -> Versus.

No, read the article...

It really sounds like you can only choose between playing vs. online opponents, or playing vs. the AI.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I know it's a long shot but I hope they start having Heroes and Heralds tournaments. Because god drat I'd love to see that poo poo at least a couple high-level players go at it with the added depth of the cards.

edit: I guess if it's online only then not...

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I'd like to play a teleporting speed boosted whoever. For the third card I'll take super armor or extra cancels or something.

When I noticed the Nightcrawler card I got sad that he's not already a character.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Ximum posted:

Watching the "Team of One" bit in the trailer, there's only one health bar. This might mean there aren't any assists with it.

Yeah, it just looks you have three versions of the same character. One dies, the next comes in.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Elephunk posted:

No, read the article...

It really sounds like you can only choose between playing vs. online opponents, or playing vs. the AI.

Whoops, completely missed that you were talking about H&H.

Anyway, Rocket Racoon Invisibility for life. Just try and hit me. :smug:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Elephunk posted:

No, read the article...

I'm with you there. If it doesn't have local VS, I'm probably never gonna touch H&H.

If it does (and I feel like it probably will because not even Capcom could gently caress up that badly) my friends and I are gonna rock this poo poo on the regular. H&H mystery game tournaments, gently caress yeah.

E: I also hope there's an option to pick 3 random cards. That would make for some pretty fun matches.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Liku posted:

I know it's a long shot but I hope they start having Heroes and Heralds tournaments. Because god drat I'd love to see that poo poo at least a couple high-level players go at it with the added depth of the cards.
This already exists (will already have existed shortly?) and it's called Street Fighter x Tekken tournaments :smug:

e: But yes, if there's an offline option H&H random characters, random assists, random cards will become a staple of my mystery game tournaments.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fellblade posted:

I rewatched Knives's Sent and this is what he does:
fly and hit them on incoming with meaty j.S, dash as soon as Sent lands, jump and airthrow.

It looks like what happens when the opponent pushblocks is that they stay in the air longer due to the pushblock, which gives sent enough time to fall and dash back in for the airthrow.

When Knives has the opponent expecting the airthrow he substitutes s.M for the airthrow after the dash (the idea is to catch them hitting H in an attempt to throw tech).

Dren fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 13, 2011

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Dren posted:

I rewatched Knives's Sent and this is what he does:
fly and hit them on incoming with meaty j.S, dash as soon as Sent lands, jump and airthrow.

It looks like what happens when the opponent pushblocks is that they stay in the air longer due to the pushblock, which gives sent enough time to fall and dash back in for the airthrow.

When Knives has the opponent expecting the airthrow he substitutes s.M for the airthrow after the dash (the idea is to catch them hitting H in an attempt to throw tech).

This is what I assumed it was as well, but it didn't work. I guess I might not be timing the meaty j.S correctly, will have to give it more practice.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
In the guide they mention a trick with Ironman where you can make them block an attack and then fly or unfly, causing him to not go anywhere because his flight mode starts up incredibly fast and cancels his momentum in any direction. Can Sentinel do the same thing? Seems like that could be a good variation on the above mix-up.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Even if Heroes and Heralds doesn't have local vs. play (which I can't imagine it doesn't) it does mention being able to 'test your deck' in training mode which could be used as a workaround for playing someone locally via setting the dummy to 2P control. I think that's how they did the 'infinite x-factor, 1 bar network simulation, Rock Band drum controller' part of the mystery game tournament.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

H&H not having local play would be just about the dumbest thing ever. So, because Capcom, I'm going to assume it doesn't have local play.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Do the DLC characters have 6 colors without further DLC? Wondering if the card allowing 3x of one character is why.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

Elephunk posted:

No, read the article...

That's ridiculous. How else could I have a fighting chance/excuse against you or Tank?

gently caress Ca$$hCom

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Do the DLC characters have 6 colors without further DLC? Wondering if the card allowing 3x of one character is why.

Every character has six. The DLC characters have their seventh for free though, yeah.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

NecroMonster posted:

H&H not having local play would be just about the dumbest thing ever. So, because Capcom, I'm going to assume it doesn't have local play.

Yeah, what do want to bet on H&H having no local play. Vanilla Marvel Shadow Mode couldn't be played unless you were connected to the internet. Which is ridiculous, b/c Shadow mode packs cost a dollar or two each and didn't even need online to function.

Same with events: couldn't access them unless you were online.

Player 2
Sep 11, 2011

by T. Couchfucker
Maybe I'm just shaking off the rust after not playing any fighting games for 6 months but Magnus mission 9 is driving me nuts:

S, SJC, j.H, ADD, j.H, H, S, SJC, j.H, ADD, j.H, H, Hypergrav...there's more but in about 100 attempts I've landed the last H before hypergrav maybe 10 times. Haggar tends to recover too soon.
I can do all of it up to the last s.H no problem and I've tried varying the timing on every part of it. The time when i have connected it just doesn't feel any different to when it whiffs :psyduck:

Any tips?

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
I'm really more excited about a nerf to Wesker so I don't see him on every team, than about H&H. v:v:v

VVV Im hoping, anyway

Waverhouse fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 14, 2011

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Waverhouse posted:

I'm really more excited about a nerf to Wesker so I don't see him on every team, than about H&H. v:v:v

What nerf to Wesker?

e; Don't get your hopes up man

Bland fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 14, 2011

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Waverhouse posted:

VVV Im hoping, anyway

Wesker doesn't need a nerf noob.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Waverhouse posted:

VVV Im hoping, anyway

I'm pretty sure they explicitly stated that they aren't doing a balance patch, just fixing some glitches (no Wesker's glasses are not going to count as a glitch) and adding H&H.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Wesker doesn't need a nerf noob.

Seriously. Even EVO 2011 champion Viscant says that yeah he's on every team now because he's brain-dead easy to play, he has Iceman syndrome right now and that in 4 or 5 months people will figure him out and he won't be on every team anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Player 2 posted:

Maybe I'm just shaking off the rust after not playing any fighting games for 6 months but Magnus mission 9 is driving me nuts:

S, SJC, j.H, ADD, j.H, H, S, SJC, j.H, ADD, j.H, H, Hypergrav...there's more but in about 100 attempts I've landed the last H before hypergrav maybe 10 times. Haggar tends to recover too soon.
I can do all of it up to the last s.H no problem and I've tried varying the timing on every part of it. The time when i have connected it just doesn't feel any different to when it whiffs :psyduck:

Any tips?

I more or less main Mag If Haggar is recovering too soon, then you're probably doing the st. H too late. Ideally, you want to hit your opponent as early as possible with st. H to connect with Hyper Grab/as part of the hg loop.

You may also be canceling into Hyper Grab too late.

Also, once you get to Mission 10, just remember to sjc into GS at the end.

• Locked thread