Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

So basically anyone who breaks the mold gets ridiculed. :colbert:

Just people who wear inline pants on the ice or goalies who don't wear safe equipment. I don't care about the white gloves or visors, though I generally expect the guy in a blue tinted visor to be a decent player and it is funny if they're not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

This is how poo poo works. You either break the mold and look like a douche, or you break the mold and have enough confidence and swagger to make it cool. But copying that cool person could very well make you a douche as well. It's a delicate matter.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Aniki posted:

Just people who wear inline pants on the ice or goalies who don't wear safe equipment. I don't care about the white gloves or visors, though I generally expect the guy in a blue tinted visor to be a decent player and it is funny if they're not.

Inline pants on ice infuriates me. Also, goalies with unsafe gear make me want to rip my eyeballs out. I generally find the guys that go out of the mold with their gear visors, pink, etc have the skills to style on fools anyway.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Surfing Turtle posted:

Inline pants on ice infuriates me. Also, goalies with unsafe gear make me want to rip my eyeballs out. I generally find the guys that go out of the mold with their gear visors, pink, etc have the skills to style on fools anyway.

We played against a goalie the other night who had no hockey pants on underneath his pads. When he dropped to his knees you could see skin.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Who's the big idiot to fracture their wrist in the middle of the championship playoffs? this guy. Worst part is its best of three and the final game is next sunday and now I can't play. At least I scored a goal in game 2. Being without hockey for the next 2 months or so is going to suck

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

toxicsunset posted:

We played against a goalie the other night who had no hockey pants on underneath his pads. When he dropped to his knees you could see skin.

hack the bone, etc etc

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

toxicsunset posted:

I can't fathom playing without goalie pants, is it possible that he wasn't wearing knee pads? There is another goalie that I play against and after watching him get pegged in the knee again and again one week, I gave him my old knee pads the next week. Some people can wear pads without a knee pads and be fine, but I really don't understand how you could play goal without goalie pants. I really don't want to contemplate taking an uprotected shot to the hip or pelvis.

The worst example of bad/no gear I saw with a fellow goalie (outside of the usual Itech/Bauer 1200/1400 widowmakers) was a goalie who apparently forgot his cup, but played anyway. The other players didn't know this and he ended up getting pegged in the groin by a wrister from an ex-Juniors player. He had to be carried off the ice and the thought that shot just makes me sick.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

toxicsunset posted:

When I first started playing net I did not have any knee protection. It only took 1 puck to get in there to get me to wise up. With my old pads I wore goalie knee pads. My pads now have an attached thigh wrap that covers that whole area. Having no knee protection is just super dangerous.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
Reffing requires a totally different mindset, it's really incredibly hard because there is literally judgment in every single call. Something that might be a no brainer penalty in one game, you might not even think about calling in another. It's weird as gently caress.

Also, I broke my Synergy last night :(. At least we don't play another league game until January...

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Minister Robathan posted:

Reffing requires a totally different mindset, it's really incredibly hard because there is literally judgment in every single call. Something that might be a no brainer penalty in one game, you might not even think about calling in another. It's weird as gently caress.

And while you're making these constant judgement calls, you also have to make sure to be 100% mindful of your positioning, your partners' positioning, the players on the ice, activity around the benches, the movement of the puck and activity away from the puck, the general game flow, etc. I mean even something that seems so trivial as calling a penalty or attributing a goal + assists to the right players can be super difficult if you haven't been 100% ON and tuned in to all of these things at once. Especially at the very beginning when none of that is yet coming 'naturally' to you it can be super daunting. There have definitely been times in my (still very few - 4 games as a referee in a 2 official system and 5 games as a linesman in a 3 official system) officiating experiences where I've seen a play where I probably should call a penalty but by the time I processed it and thought through what to call and the logistics of making the call, I've lost track of which player actually committed it, play has moved on and well, I can't call it then.

It's easy to criticize officials from the ice or bench, but as I've probably said multiple times, I've been a lot more respectful towards them since I started reffing myself.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 14, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Y'all still suck, stop disallowing my goals :argh:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Y'all still suck, stop disallowing my goals :argh:

Stop using your hands.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Topoisomerase posted:

And while you're making these constant judgement calls, you also have to make sure to be 100% mindful of your positioning, your partners' positioning, the players on the ice, activity around the benches, the movement of the puck and activity away from the puck, the general game flow, etc. I mean even something that seems so trivial as calling a penalty or attributing a goal + assists to the right players can be super difficult if you haven't been 100% ON and tuned in to all of these things at once. Especially at the very beginning when none of that is yet coming 'naturally' to you it can be super daunting. There have definitely been times in my (still very few - 4 games as a referee in a 2 official system and 5 games as a linesman in a 3 official system) officiating experiences where I've seen a play where I probably should call a penalty but by the time I processed it and thought through what to call and the logistics of making the call, I've lost track of which player actually committed it, play has moved on and well, I can't call it then.

It's easy to criticize officials from the ice or bench, but as I've probably said multiple times, I've been a lot more respectful towards them since I started reffing myself.

I reffed before I moved away for university, and a hugely difficult part is being in the right place at the right time without thinking about where you need to be so that you can be completely focused on the play. 3-man system is a lot easier because there is, 99% of the time, a place where you should be. 2-man, is so much harder because you need to be in place to make the linesmans calls (offsides, icing) as well as being in the right place to make the refs calls. It helps a bit to have a partner to make those ref calls, but the other ref will usually be in a pretty lovely place to make a call. Hell, in the neutral zone you're both in a lovely positions to make calls.

One of the tricks to learning how to just instinctively be in position is, when you're doing a lower level than normal game, make sure that you get into the right spots as quickly as possible. You'll notice 2 things. 1) you spend a lot of time standing around, and 2) when you get back to the higher level games, you'll just go to those spots since you don't have time to think about it.

I miss reffing, but when I started back up out here I was bumped down from doing high level competitive hockey to low level non-contact houseleague, and it just wasn't fun, no intensity, and after 2 years with no advancement despite having every official I worked games questioning why I only got lovely games, I eventually said gently caress it. I might get back into once I'm a bit more settled, but for now, I'm done with reffing.

I really only get truly pissed at refs when they make the wrong call because of their terrible positioning, or when they make a rules mistake. I know the book a bit too well, since it was my uh, bathroom reading for years. I've only lost it in 6 years of beer league once, and that ref deserved it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

lazerwolf posted:

Who's the big idiot to fracture their wrist in the middle of the championship playoffs? this guy. Worst part is its best of three and the final game is next sunday and now I can't play. At least I scored a goal in game 2. Being without hockey for the next 2 months or so is going to suck

I did this when I was in high school playing summer league, the hospital threatened to cut off my brand new Eagles, it was bad enough they cut off my jersey.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
I want to become a better skater/player and was thinking that playing D might do this for me. I have a few friends in the lower leagues that I could play with while I get use to playing D. Would it be even worth it to learn at a lower level or should I try to play D at my current level against a weaker team?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

What about defense makes you think you'll become a better skater/player as opposed to forward? Just curious.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Gio posted:

What about defense makes you think you'll become a better skater/player as opposed to forward? Just curious.

I don't have a lot of confidence with the puck, I'm hoping that leading the breakout will help cure these issues.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

^^^ In that case get ready to take a confidence hit every time you flub the pass or turn it over as the last man back and the resulting scoring opportunity rests squarely on your shoulders (it's me I'm the guy who does this a lot)

Skating backwards and transitioning from forward to backward to forward seems to handcuff a lot of people, especially if they are used to playing forward where you can very easily tailor your game to always be going forwards.

But having played a game and a half on the wing after basically being stuck on defence the last 4-5 years of my beer league career, my legs were absolutely killing me compared to playing on the blue line. So much more actual skating, up the ice on the rush and then back on the backcheck. On defence, unless you get caught running around in your own zone, you can be really really lazy and still be a really effective player.

If you're looking to get some practice on the technical stuff, transitions, skating backwards, etc etc, defence would be better (but you're more of a liability as you learn), whereas conditioning, acceleration and speed are things I would stick at forward to improve.

Of course that's just based on how I play in each position, there's any number of variables on style that could affect which one would be "better" for improving your skating in any given situation.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

poser posted:

I don't have a lot of confidence with the puck, I'm hoping that leading the breakout will help cure these issues.

You'll become a better skater by virtue of reacting to forwards rather than being the forward making the decision. Being able to get your head up and make a good outlet pass is easier than it looks, especially with beer league players that don't move at all.

Having fresh legs and jumping into a rush late in a shift is a great way to end up with an easy goal, too. I say go for it.

Watch this and every other m2hockey video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9rfpFENmpY

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

Either that or you will be one of those D that just flings the puck up the boards whenever it touches their stick without looking around first.

For me, I grew up playing defense and I think that was a lot of what caused me to not have a lot of confidence with the puck. As a D, you're the "last line" so to speak so if you turn it over, it's on the goalie or your partner to cover it. At least as a forward, if you turn it over there are more players to cover for it.

Anyway the only thing that helped me have confidence with the puck was working in practices/scrimmages with the puck and some teammates to make sure I'm pulling my head up and taking a couple of beats before just instinctively throwing it to where I "should" like a robot and actually analyzing the situation in front of me before making a decision.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

Either that or you will be one of those D that just flings the puck up the boards whenever it touches their stick without looking around first.

Hey, that's better than flinging it straight at your own goalie, right??

I did that last week, was collecting a loose puck at the halfboards, three guys converging on me. There was no way I could send it up ice without turning it over, and I hear the other d-man yells at me to ring the puck. So I spin around in an attempt to do so, it doesn't quite roll off my stick right, and I shoot it straight at my goalie. :sigh:

It turned out okay, but I felt like a moron.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Hmmm, well not to give a non-answer, but I think it ultimately depends on which you’re most comfortable with. Obviously I don’t know how you match up in either league, so yeah.

I’ve played in a league that had a lot of players that were simply better than me (and one particular drop-in that was mostly guys who played college or juniors), and I found myself getting beat to pucks and unable to gain possession for more than a few brief moments a game. I’d say more often than not I found it to be more frustrating than what it was worth, and I wasn’t really improving.

At the same time, I’ve played drop-ins with a lot of old guys/beginners and against low skill teams that probably didn't help me become a better player much either since it wasn't really a challenge. However, at the very least you can practice fundamentals when the skill level is too low, which is something you can’t say if the skill level is too high.

Hopefully one of the two levels you're talking about is a happy medium between the two.

As far as skill development, I agree that defense will improve your backwards skating tremendously--in transitioning, building up speed, and lateral movement. In terms of overall skating, not so much since you're skating a hell of a lot more on forward. Overall though I think D is a great spot to build fundamentals and building poise since forward is, ultimately, a more skilled position.

Gio fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 14, 2011

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

poser posted:

I transitioned to D about halfway through the season (by virtue of no one else wanting to play D) -- I wouldn't say it helped or hurt my confidence really, although you do feel super lovely when you misplay a puck that leads to a break away. This probably did happen to much. I thought I was ok making the transition because I was still going to drop in and practicing my stickhandling at home, but after I made the transition I stopped doing all of that and I think my play suffered.

What I'm getting at is: I don't think in a game is the time when you build confidence or skill. That's where you use the confidence you've cultivated by practicing.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Honestly, I've played D my whole life, and I still think the hardest thing is making a good first pass. Especially if you have a bunch of forwards who do little to get open, which will only frustrate you more.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Gio posted:

Honestly, I've played D my whole life, and I still think the hardest thing is making a good first pass. Especially if you have a bunch of forwards who do little to get open, which will only frustrate you more.

A key to being effective defensively is knowing where everyone else is on the ice. You don't have enough time with the puck when trying to get it out of the zone to try and find a pass. It helps when your team plays some sort of breakout system so, once you are familiar with your wingers, you don't need to focus on where your team is as much. Then you can concentrate on where the other team is and not passing the puck near them.

Also, knowing that you can almost always reverse play be sending the puck behind and around the net to your defensive partner helps. Communication and chemistry is important in defensive pairings. Sometimes the mindsets of the two players contrast to the point of hindrance.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Uggghhhhhhhh. This drives me up the goddamn wall because it happens so often. We have so many turnovers in the neutral zone because of this. In other annoyances, the D needlessly dumping the puck into the zone, even if there's room to skate or people that are open. gently caress off, YOU chase it.

Regarding the transition from D to F... In games that get out of hand, we'll sometimes put our D up at forward. It's pretty funny to see them sucking wind after their first shift :haw: "gently caress this, let me go back on D!!!"

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 14, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

poser posted:

I want to become a better skater/player and was thinking that playing D might do this for me.

How often are you skating?

If you can skate another 1-2x a week it's going to make a bigger difference in your ability far more than the position that you're playing.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
I know we have some Ann Arbor goons here. Any of you done anything with Deve Debol or Brian Sipotz from Hockey Masters? Thinking of doing their adult skills clinic Tuesday and Thursday mornings in addition to playing three times a week.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

sellouts posted:

How often are you skating?

If you can skate another 1-2x a week it's going to make a bigger difference in your ability far more than the position that you're playing.

I play on two teams but it comes out to about a game a week. A friend of mine works at the rink so I can get in to any stick n puck for free and I plan on skating a bunch over the holidays.

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011

Uggghhhhhhhh. This drives me up the goddamn wall because it happens so often. We have so many turnovers in the neutral zone because of this. In other annoyances, the D needlessly dumping the puck into the zone, even if there's room to skate or people that are open. gently caress off, YOU chase it.

Regarding the transition from D to F... In games that get out of hand, we'll sometimes put our D up at forward. It's pretty funny to see them sucking wind after their first shift :haw: "gently caress this, let me go back on D!!!"

Well if the wingers were in the right position it'd be fine! :downs: Honestly I do that a lot because I don't have a lot of confidence in my puck handling skills. I'm trying to get better and skate with the puck and look before passing it up. Our wingers are hardly ever in the right position to help out with a breakout though, so we get stuck in our end and we end up having to ice it to get a change.

I play D most of the time, but occasionally get put up on a wing. Usually I can get by without too much trouble by keeping my shifts short. In our game on Sunday though I got put up on LW and we only had two LWs for half the game. I was sucking wind by the 10 minute mark.

When playing wing, I know what to do in the offensive zone pretty well, but back in our zone my defensive instincts takes over and I start getting too low and playing as a D instead of covering my point and helping out on the breakout like I should.

My team really needs to start having team practices, but the closest place with decent prices is around 40 minutes away and all the open times are late. :(

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
The thing about wingers being in position is it actually allows you to make the hard clear up the boards or the nice pass up the middle. Timing is an element of it that's hard to get down but if someone is going to skate hard to the point and a puck is rimmed around the glass they should be able to do something with it the majority of the time. Get it cleanly, chip it past a defender, or get the D to have to turn around and chase the puck and apply pressure - Something good will happen.

It's the standing still that just fucks everything :mad:

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
So I had originally planned to sit certain people if we were down or tied with 5 minutes to go in playoffs, due to much urging from several players, but I kind of decided gently caress it and didn't 'cus I feel like such a douche to do it since I'm not the best player on the team ( I was going to sit myself to be fair ). We ended up tied 2-2, still tied after over time, still tied after the first best of five shootout 2/5 vs 2/5 and then we won in sudden death shoot out. gently caress yes. 2 games to the cup baby. If we win I'm taking a keg, welding something cup-like to the top of it and engraving our names in it and calling it the Stanley Keg. Work tomorrow is going to suck.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

For me, anyway, a lot of this comes from just not knowing instinctively where to be as a forward, so I end up skating more and covering more ground than I need to. Still a better outcome than a forward playing D. :colbert:

Poser - playing D isn't likely to increase your confidence with the puck. I play more of a forward roll at pick-up games to work on that, myself. :) It will help you become a better skater, it will help you with your positioning, and it will help you read the game better. But the amount of time you actually handle the puck coupled with the pressure you will be under virtually every time you touch it is not a good combination for developing confidence.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
What do y'all use to keep your gear smelling fresh and...well, not like death, anyway? I air my pads out after every game (they're actually being aired out anytime I'm not playing, ie: they spend very little time in my bag) and have historically had pretty inoffensive equipment. But increased playing activity over the last 2+ months due to paternity leave (and then being laid off) that allowed me to attend afternoon pickups has definitely caused it to get pretty rank. I've used Febreeze before, but am not a huge fan as it just makes my stuff smell like Febreezed death,. Not much of an improvement. Is there some spray? One of those little bag fresheners? What should I do?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Habibi posted:

What do y'all use to keep your gear smelling fresh and...well, not like death, anyway? I air my pads out after every game (they're actually being aired out anytime I'm not playing, ie: they spend very little time in my bag) and have historically had pretty inoffensive equipment. But increased playing activity over the last 2+ months due to paternity leave (and then being laid off) that allowed me to attend afternoon pickups has definitely caused it to get pretty rank. I've used Febreeze before, but am not a huge fan as it just makes my stuff smell like Febreezed death,. Not much of an improvement. Is there some spray? One of those little bag fresheners? What should I do?

play real (ice) hockey like a man.

or try this place

http://tiegoal.com/

E: I guess they are relocating and are closed at the moment.

poser fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 15, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Habibi posted:

Nothing. Accept the fact that your gear will always smell terrible. It's a badge of honor :colbert:

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Habibi posted:

Along with airing it out, you can spray it down with a mix of isopropyl alcohol and water, will kill the bacteria without any smell

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.
Or put it in the freezer!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or run it through the wash every couple months. Hot water, no detergent, air dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
At the end of each season, try washing your gear. You figure it just sits there and collects bodily fluids its whole life, the only way to even remotely get rid of the smell is to try and remove some of it.

Try actually washing the gear that is washable (shin guards, shoulder pads, elbow pads, socks, jock, jersey).

Easiest are the socks/jersey/jock that can go straight into the washing machine.

For me personally, the worst offenders are my shin guards, gloves, and skates. You can wash your shin guards in a tub or sink, pay no attention to the brown water that will come out. My shins have removable padding that I can throw in the washing machine making the process 10x easier. Add a bit of alcohol to the water as mentioned before to kill any bacteria. Do the same with shoulder pads and elbow pads. I normally just go out into my backyard with a hose and bottle of alcohol spray.

Gloves are tough because of the leather palms. Dont get them wet or the palms will harden up when they dry and lose their softness. Use something like Silica packets, socks full of rice, or baking soda to try and absorb any smells/moisture from your gloves while they dry out. Don't try to wash out the gloves. Usually by the time my gloves smell to the point of it being unbearable, the palms need to be replaced anyway.

For skates, its nearly the same thing. You can typically rinse out the footbeds, but whatever is in your skate is going to be there. I personally think that socks make a difference, not a ton but some. Just spray them with alcohol every now and then and try some slicia/rice/baking soda to absorb whatever you can.

Airing things out is still key, but eventually everything will smell. It would be a miracle if stuff over 5 years old with a decent amount of use didn't smell like rear end.