Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

See, I don't like the Rage one at all. It looks like the Hero of Big Bushy Mustache to me. Nothing about it screams rage to me, in any capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Rage reminds me of that lyre the bird girl in Wind Waker had.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Blood is one of the few I think you could get a pass on in public. It just looks like... well, some blood. People will get it and while it's a bit dorky I doubt anyone will think twice or even really notice. Wearing some sort of colourful abstract symbol though is going to stand out a lot more, and it might prompt people to ask about it which will only look bad.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
I'm still waiting for a callback to that scene between Karkat and Jack. I would be so happy if the meeting between John and Karkat is a callback to that scene.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dolash posted:

Blood is one of the few I think you could get a pass on in public. It just looks like... well, some blood. People will get it and while it's a bit dorky I doubt anyone will think twice or even really notice. Wearing some sort of colourful abstract symbol though is going to stand out a lot more, and it might prompt people to ask about it which will only look bad.

Yeah but "black hoodie with blood slice" is like, so fourteen year-old. So so.

LadySage
Dec 26, 2005

AA: i am very much alive
AA: and i intend to stay that way :)

Dolash posted:

Heaven forbid anyone know you like things.

I don't much like the new designs. Blood looks like generic teen goth vampyre wear, and Rage looks like an annoyed dude with a huge curly mustache.

It really saddens me that I look awful in orange, because I still think that Light has by far the nicest design.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Welp, glad I picked Space because I'm not really that interested in the others, except for Time, because Space & Time both look completely awesome. Coincidentally, this weekend was the first (confirmed) time someone knew what it was in real life. I was at a friend's daughter's 16th birthday gathering with a few other friends, and one of the teenagers shouted "HOMESTUCK!!!" as soon as she saw me, asked if she could give me a hug, then ran over and did. It was really cute. :)

I do like how Rage looks sorta like Churlish Toff from PS, as was mentioned.

SBAHJ, on the other hand: holy hell that got me laughing out loud so fast. What interested me the most, though, was the Skaia-looking blue curvature he sorta flies up into before getting chopper-gibbed. I know there have always been really vague, possible SBURB references in SBAJH, but this one stood out to me for some reason.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 13, 2011

Commutator
Jul 17, 2009
I hate to say it but I don't think Hussie's really lived up to his goal of "building a little self-consistent pictographic language". Breath, Life, Time, Mind, and Heart are all very simple symbols composed of only one or two large blobs of color, while Blood, Space, and Void are composed of many thin lines hanging out in the middle of a region of negative space, and Doom, Hope, and Rage just have too many elements coming together to make them. There are consistencies within sub-groups I guess, for example, Doom could work if the only other symbols were Time, Light, Space, Void, and Mind, since all of those have an overall circular structure bringing them together. Likewise Hope, Rage, Light, and Space would all work as a set because they all have so many lines composing them. But as a set of 12 there's not much consistency at all, you can tell Hussie only thought up the first four to begin with and left the rest for later, when he definitely should have made all 12 together.

dumb brunette posted:

the sort of fans who frequent the forums will get angry because moirails are totally different from best friends, you don't understand, let me show you my John/Vriska fanfiction that proves it by showing how moirails actually work!!! Then you'll see. You'll see ...

Hasn't it been made pretty clear that moirallegience actually is different from just being best friends, though? Moirallegience has to involve one troll being prone to flying off the handle and the other one preventing that from happening all the time. Not that that necessarily means it isn't part of a joke at fanfiction writers' expense, of course.

Commutator fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 13, 2011

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Waffnuffly posted:

SBAHJ, on the other hand: holy hell that got me laughing out loud so fast. What interested me the most, though, was the Skaia-looking blue curvature he sorta flies up into before getting chopper-gibbed. I know there have always been really vague, possible SBURB references in SBAJH, but this one stood out to me for some reason.

Yeah, it looks a bit Skaia-y. Is the helicopter blade supposed to represent one of the defense portals?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
In this SBaHJ, Bro represents Dave, and Jeff represents John.

Obviously this means that when they meet, John will pull the VAST PRANK, causing Dave to get killed by a whirlybird.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, it looks a bit Skaia-y. Is the helicopter blade supposed to represent one of the defense portals?

It was mentioned about 2000 pages ago now that Davesprite is writing sbahj now. It could represent how John was tricked in much the same way that charlie brown was, and went through the portal to his demise. Man Davesprite needs some companionship, he's getting pretty dark.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

dumb brunette posted:

The funny thing about this is how anytime you bring it up, the sort of fans who frequent the forums will get angry because moirails are totally different from best friends, you don't understand, let me show you my John/Vriska fanfiction that proves it by showing how moirails actually work!!! Then you'll see. You'll see ...

Moirails... are totally different to best friends, though? I mean, in human society, when your best friend goes on a killing spree then the friendship is generally considered over. In troll society, when your moirail goes on a killing spree, it means you've hosed up and you need to go calm them down. I think Nepeta even explicitly sets this out in the flash where Equius dies (when you look at her Karkat/Gamzee shipping diagram).

I think the same holds for the rest of troll romance, too. I mean, matespites are pretty similar to twu wuv, but the rest are fairly distinct from things most people feel on a day-to-day basis. Kismesis isn't just platonic hate, it's basically this - which in turn gives auspisticising a different dynamic from just helping people get along.

Basically, Hussie subverted our expectations. At first it looked like troll romance was just ridiculously codified human relationships, then BAM out came the nuance.
:goonsay:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Commutator posted:

Hasn't it been made pretty clear that moirallegience actually is different from just being best friends, though? Moirallegience has to involve one troll being prone to flying off the handle and the other one preventing that from happening all the time. Not that that necessarily means it isn't part of a joke at fanfiction writers' expense, of course.
This has the added bonus of making it so that the fans that insist on applying troll quadrants to themselves saying that "x person I know is totally my moirail" are making some fairly dark implications about either themselves or the person they're talking about.

Speaking about new hoodies though, that Blood design is way too "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING ABOUT HOW I FEEL MOM I'M GOING TO GO SLIT MY WRISTS" teenager for my liking. Rage is better but I personally wouldn't wear one.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 13, 2011

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The Blood hoodie is way too 14-year-old for me. In fact, I always feel really weird about wearing black t-shirts or hoodies, even if the design is otherwise cool, it just feels like such a cliche about basement-dwelling internet people.

That said, I do really like most of the designs. I could wear light, time, doom, void, or rage around town and not feel weird (until somebody wanted to have vriskachat on the street corner).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Considering the bulk of homestuck's fanbase, I think that the blood hoodie will sell just fine. Something Awful dot com forum members aren't really it's target audience. :v:

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

LadySage posted:

It really saddens me that I look awful in orange, because I still think that Light has by far the nicest design.

Same here. :( Some of the others are nice, but not quite 40 bucks worth of nice. Guess it's for the best - I don't really need to be spending that money right now anyway.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There will be people who buy it because the design is so "edgy". There will be people who buy it because Karkat theoretically might have worn it, and maybe does in their fanfiction. There's a market, so hey, whatever.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 13, 2011

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

There will be people who buy it because the design is so "edgy". There will be people who buy it because Karkat theoretically might have worn , and maybe does in their fanfiction. There's a market, so hey, whatever.

I can't help but feel like Karkat would find the design similarly eye-roll worthy. Which would be kind of hilarious to read, actually!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The thing about the ____ of Blood hoodie is that the symbol, like the others, doesn't actually look that much like blood unless you're familiar with what it's supposed to be / Hussie's style. It's a diagonal red line with three vertical lines underneath. That's not exactly hugely "ah yes, emo blood" natively, especially since those lines aren't very stylized into very obvious THIS IS BLOOD.

It's obvious to us looking at it why it'd the "___ of Blood"'s hoodie, but I don't know if that's necessarily apparent to everyone everywhere.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'm not sure how you can look at the blood and think it's just three vertical lines instead of a dripping fluid. Then you add the colour and the shape of the diagonal into it and I think it'd be hard for anyone to not tell it's supposed to be blood dripping from a wound.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Why's there so much hubbub over the blood hoodie design and not more love over the spiro sprite necklace? Because that sprite pendant is hella subtle and stylish while still being an obvious Homestuck reference for in-the-know onlookers. (If only you could use it to summon your dear old Nannasprite for a delicious homecooked meal.)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

YF-23 posted:

I'm not sure how you can look at the blood and think it's just three vertical lines instead of a dripping fluid. Then you add the colour and the shape of the diagonal into it and I think it'd be hard for anyone to not tell it's supposed to be blood dripping from a wound.

Yeah, it just straight up looks like a bleeding cut. Which is appropriate, since it's essentially a stencil of a drawing Andrew did of a bleeding cut. The fact that it's red on a nearly-black background pretty much seals the deal on it being obviously blood.

I think in the context of the comic it would be fine and/or look cool but if I saw someone wearing that in real life, bereft of context, I'd definitely think it was a little lame/unimaginative/plain/gothy.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Android Blues posted:

Yeah but "black hoodie with blood slice" is like, so fourteen year-old. So so.

So is most of this comic. :irony:

I mean sure it has interesting themes and junk, but let's not forget we're following a bunch of teenagers around here.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Renaissance Robot posted:

So is most of this comic. :irony:

I mean sure it has interesting themes and junk, but let's not forget we're following a bunch of teenagers around here.

I'm not saying like "oh psh, this is BENEATH you Homestuck", more "wearing that would be an act of shame".

Unless you are a fourteen year old, in which case go, make your mistakes, be wild and free!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Now we have all the symbols/colours here I wonder if or when we'll find out the god-pajamas design for each class. We know Hier, Maid, Thief, Seer and Knight, so only 7 to go! I would wonder if there is fanart of Jane and all the Trolls we know both for yet, but I think this fanbase's art turnaround is like 4 minutes

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Don't forget that these costumes have to pass through the filter of the fourth wall and are ostensibly costumes granted to teenagers upon a death. I imagine their plausibility in canon takes precedence over their suitability for casual wear! Seems a bit lame to put out a bunch of merch and then go "yeah but the designs aren't really for you" but them's the breaks!

Also, it doesn't seem to have been mentioned anywhere, but the non God Tier shirts (troll symbols, atom, broken record and some others I can't remember) seem to be removed from the WhatPumpkin site, and are now only available from TopatoCo.

Also dang does that spiro necklace look good.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Prison Warden posted:

Now we have all the symbols/colours here I wonder if or when we'll find out the god-pajamas design for each class. We know Hier, Maid, Thief, Seer and Knight, so only 7 to go! I would wonder if there is fanart of Jane and all the Trolls we know both for yet, but I think this fanbase's art turnaround is like 4 minutes

Heir of Breath - John
Seer of Light - Rose
Knight of Time - Dave
Witch of Space - Jade
Knight of Blood - Karkat
Bard of Rage - Gamzee
Mage of Doom - Sollux
Seer of Mind - Terezi
Sylph of Space - Kanaya
(?)Rogue of Void - RL
(?)Prince of Heart - DS
Maid of Life - Jane
Page of Hope - Jake

Assuming, of course, that these guys all get to God-hood, I think we might get all the designs before the end. I don't see any narrative reason for no one else to ascend, since a credible threat to godtiers and an overall objective (beyond 'meet up') still need to come about.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

MrBims posted:

Heir of Breath - John
Seer of Light - Rose
Knight of Time - Dave
Witch of Space - Jade
Knight of Blood - Karkat
Bard of Rage - Gamzee
Mage of Doom - Sollux
Seer of Mind - Terezi
Sylph of Space - Kanaya
(?)Rogue of Void - RL
(?)Prince of Heart - DS
Maid of Life - Jane
Page of Hope - Jake

Assuming, of course, that these guys all get to God-hood, I think we might get all the designs before the end. I don't see any narrative reason for no one else to ascend, since a credible threat to godtiers and an overall objective (beyond 'meet up') still need to come about.

I think that having all the trolls' dreamselves killed is a pretty good reason for them not to ascend. Dave and Rose had their waking selves killed, and were revived by having their dreamselves take over. The only thing we've seen in common for everyone who's ascended so far is that it involves the dreamself somehow.

But this is Homestuck and everything can change in an update so... v:v:v

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
You don't need a dreamself if you die in the Prospit/Derse dreambed, as seen with Aradia, Rose and Dave. And I bet that if we need the trolls to ascend, either the beds will be universal, or there will be predestination shenanigans.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

You don't need a dreamself if you die in the Prospit/Derse dreambed, as seen with Aradia, Rose and Dave. And I bet that if we need the trolls to ascend, either the beds will be universal, or there will be predestination shenanigans.

Those were dreamselves. As far as we know, the only way to ascend to God Tier is to die on your quest bed on your planet with a living dreamself or die on your quest bed on Prospit/Derse as your dreamself. On the latter, we can assume that your other self needs to be dead and we only have evidence of this working for Derse dreamers but that could just be coincidence.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Didn't Hussie come out and say after Cascade that the Derse/Prospit moon beds would only work if the player is a revived dreamself? That is, their real body died and they were then revived. So the trolls, who had the reverse happen to them, would not have that avenue available to them.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Nate RFB posted:

Didn't Hussie come out and say after Cascade that the Derse/Prospit moon beds would only work if the player is a revived dreamself? That is, their real body died and they were then revived. So the trolls, who had the reverse happen to them, would not have that avenue available to them.
Except Sollux. Assuming the half-dead version of him currently piloting the asteroid makes it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Also that their Prospit and Derse are completely destroyed.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
At some point it'll suddenly have happened offscreen and the only explanation will be "shenanigans" for a very long time. :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My guess is that if troll god tier shenanigans are to happen, they will involve UU and whatever session she is supposedly a part of.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I'd want some more trollgods if only to have Karkat's reaction to wearing pajamas with a big red splash of blood on the front.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
The dreamselves could just locate their corpses. Dave's corpse is probably still on LOFAF where it was riddled by bullets, and Rose's will be on top of the castle on skaian battlefield, still brewing away with grimdark energies. John and Jade could go down there, find them, and dump them on their respective quest beds. Who knows, it might even cause Dave and Rose to go god tier again, making them super saian level 3.

We know that there's two ways to go god tier, what would happen if someone used both of them?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Wrist Watch posted:

I think that having all the trolls' dreamselves killed is a pretty good reason for them not to ascend. Dave and Rose had their waking selves killed, and were revived by having their dreamselves take over. The only thing we've seen in common for everyone who's ascended so far is that it involves the dreamself somehow.

But this is Homestuck and everything can change in an update so... v:v:v

Narrative reasons. You can come up with technical reasons why they couldn't, but those are subject to change at Hussie's whim, and always in a way that allows the narrative to flow logically. For instance, Gamzee turning out to be responsible for John's obsession with clowns, through psychic troll powers that we hadn't seen him use before. It was something that was pretty obviously going to happen somehow, we just had to get to a point where Hussie could show us how it happens.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
To clarify, while we know the full titles of all the trolls we don't, for example, know what the design of the Page god-jammies would even be. Whereas Karkat, as the Knight would presumably have the same godhood design as Dave, only with the colours/symbol we just found out.

As far as all the trolls becoming gods, sure they can't with the methods we currently know but before the Aradia thing I think most of us would have said that since all these characters had only one life instead of two they couldn't become god tier since they wouldn't have a life to sacrifice on the quest bed.

vvvv e: Ah okay, sorry. I blame the inexact nature of internet communications.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Prison Warden posted:

To clarify, while we know the full titles of all the trolls we don't, for example, know what the design of the Page god-jammies would even be. Whereas Karkat, as the Knight would presumably have the same godhood design as Dave, only with the colours/symbol we just found out.

My list was to show that all the classes you were talking about, along with all the symbols, can still be shown on godhood clothing in the comic.