Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You would kill to save :10bux:? I would have gotten Widgetlocker by now but not sure if I want it since it's kind of a hack job and apparently pretty buggy. I'm sure it will work fine until I want to show someone how cool my phone is and then it will blow the gently caress up.

This happens to me with every app, so I don't worry about what I use. :v:

My phone factory reset itself last night. Then, when I had the Market open afterwards to triage it, before I had downloaded a drat thing, it factory reset itself again (the "register your phone" walkthrough was the only giveaway that it wasn't a standard reset which would have been irritating enough). Last night loving sucked, and I'm convinced this thing has a demon inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Jesus that blows. My phone resets itself, without fail, at least once a day, and always when I'm using Google Music. I'll be in the car, go to hit next track or pause and oh hey, Motorola splash screen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You would kill to save :10bux:? I would have gotten Widgetlocker by now but not sure if I want it since it's kind of a hack job and apparently pretty buggy. I'm sure it will work fine until I want to show someone how cool my phone is and then it will blow the gently caress up.

Well yeah, in the metaphorical sense. I can't justify laying out :10bux: just for some nice UI poo poo and I'm not sure I would understand Tasker well enough to justify buying that either.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Re: Google Music, is there a way to 'pin' a single song for offline play? I seem to only have an option to pin the whole album.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I thought there was, but I'm not finding it now. You could put all the individual songs you want to pin in a playlist and make that available offline.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Drifter287 posted:

Jesus that blows. My phone resets itself, without fail, at least once a day, and always when I'm using Google Music. I'll be in the car, go to hit next track or pause and oh hey, Motorola splash screen.

What phone? My X2 did this everyday without fail until I called Verizon up and told them to give me a droid 3 instead. Smooth sailing ever since.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Hmm, my Facebook widget seems to only grab updates every few days. This is a piddly and dumb thing to ask for help with, but I've not had any luck Googling it. Any combination of facebook + updates gets me instructions for how to change the refresh time.

I have: changed update frequency from hour to 30m to hour and back and forth, hoping to force it.
Deleted and readded the widget.
Cleared the cache.

Is this a known issue with a known fix, or am I just stuck?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What phone? My X2 did this everyday without fail until I called Verizon up and told them to give me a droid 3 instead. Smooth sailing ever since.

They let you do that? Was it a brand new 3 or did they give you a refurb? My sister had to get four refurb Droid Xs before Verizon finally just said gently caress it and let her get an iPhone.

Mine's a Droid X. This is actually a refurb too and other than the restarts, which only seem to happen while using Google Music, it works way better than my old one. Considering the data radio on my original died, and the first replacement they sent wouldn't even turn on, I'm hesitant to take my chances with replacing it again, but I might have to look into this if it gets any worse.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Drifter287 posted:

They let you do that? Was it a brand new 3 or did they give you a refurb? My sister had to get four refurb Droid Xs before Verizon finally just said gently caress it and let her get an iPhone.

Mine's a Droid X. This is actually a refurb too and other than the restarts, which only seem to happen while using Google Music, it works way better than my old one. Considering the data radio on my original died, and the first replacement they sent wouldn't even turn on, I'm hesitant to take my chances with replacing it again, but I might have to look into this if it gets any worse.

Its a refurb 3 but honestly there wasn't a scratch on the thing, and everything works beautifully so I could care less. I've had it for about a month now, no complaints. Its an awesome phone.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Geekner posted:

I used to have the Droid Eris (Verizon's rebranded Hero), and I'm pretty sure the audio line in the HTC extUSB connector is from the same source as the headphone jack. I'm not aware of any other way to stream audio from it, except putting it in mass storage mode but that would only work for MP3s and such.

The USB is client-only, too. They didn't add host mode until 2.3, which the Hero will never fully support.

Thanks, I was afraid of something like that. Oh well, I guess I'll put up with this for a while. Or maybe just use bass heavy phones with it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Retarded Pimp posted:

Thanks, I was afraid of something like that. Oh well, I guess I'll put up with this for a while. Or maybe just use bass heavy phones with it.

You're never really going to get high-quality audio playback out of any Android phone unless it's a Galaxy S or a derivative of the Galaxy S, because Android manufacturers are cheap.

VietAssRapeFuckBros
Mar 8, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Does anyone know of any good apps that would read my rss feeds to me? Something that would preferably link up with Google Reader. I've searched the market and only found one which did what I'm looking to do, but it sucked beyond belief.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007
Today's $0.10 Apps (Day 8):

The first four are repeats. Definitely get Flick Golf and Sketchbook Mobile if you haven't already.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

AlexMoron posted:

[*]Instant Heart Rate - Pro

This really works & is awesome, I've been looking to upgrade from the free version.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Cakefool posted:

This really works & is awesome, I've been looking to upgrade from the free version.

I'm still not buying that this works. How can my lovely pinhole camera, when completely covered, track subtle changes in skin color? Not to mention it has to work across different brands of cameras with different color profiles.

Harvey Wine Time
May 15, 2011

by angerbeet
My company makes Android apps and needs some US-based freelancers for knowledge base development, promotion, and so on. All you need is some free time, an Android device and a Paypal account for your wages.

If you're interested, please write to me at xmasxcash ат gmail.com and enclose a resume, and I'll let you know as and when something comes up. It's generally good creative stuff and always pays pretty well.

I may make a thread about this but I want to give you guys first refusal :yum:

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

GigaPeon posted:

I'm still not buying that this works. How can my lovely pinhole camera, when completely covered, track subtle changes in skin color? Not to mention it has to work across different brands of cameras with different color profiles.
Easy. They don't even need to track colour as I recall (that's for fancy things like blood oxygen saturation) for pulse, simply a matter of measuring relative change in brightness. When your blood pulses through, more light is obscured from the sensor. Admittedly this works a lot better with a flash (or a torch behind your finger). Even if your device is not particularly sensitive to changes in brightness (being a camera it should be very much so!), you don't really need a significant change to pull out a rhythmic pattern.

You don't even need a camera for this type thing, a much simpler photodiode or something would more than suffice (in fact I believe that is mostly what actual medical ones consist of).

Now what would be really cool is turning it onto a pulse oximeter, that would indeed make use of the colour information, but that would definitely be subject to all the problems you mentioned and more.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 13, 2011

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
My gmail stopped syncing properly sometime in the last month and I cannot get it to work properly. I've set my data to automatic and cleared the cache multiple times. Am I going to have to do a factory reset to get this working again? I haven't tried uninstalling it yet.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

GigaPeon posted:

I've tried an app like that before and it worked. You were supposed to put your finger over the camera and the lit flash. On mine anyway it took way longer to get it to lock-on to your pulse than the 10 secs you could take to check yourself with your fingers and be done though.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 13, 2011

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Evo 4G:

Recently (I think it's within the past week, when my phone was reset, although it's hard to tell because I get so few calls) when I answer my phone I'm prompted to press 1 if I want to accept the call. Is this some weird Google Voice feature? At first I thought it was some kind of collect-call scam, but it's not, it's every call.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

foodfight posted:

My gmail stopped syncing properly sometime in the last month and I cannot get it to work properly. I've set my data to automatic and cleared the cache multiple times. Am I going to have to do a factory reset to get this working again? I haven't tried uninstalling it yet.

Did you put the Gmail app on your SD card?

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

It actually works pretty well, I've been on a new ADHD medication the past few days, and it's an amphetamine so for the first little while my heart's going to do a few crazy things while my body catches up with it. I've noticed that both using the app and timing my pulse over a minute, my results are within a few beats of each other every time (including the time my resting pulse was 120, that one was fun).

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Nope.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

GigaPeon posted:

Try the free version? Do you have a flash on your camera? I rest the phone on my finger as top much pressure interferes with the result. Also, last medical I had at work I whipped it out (hurr hurr) & compared the result to the megabucks blood pressure/pulse machine, within a beat or two definitely.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I think I figured out my gmail issue. I don't normally use the power control widget but apparently I had hit the sync button on there and that turned off auto syncing. You would think that the button would correspond to a setting somewhere but if it does I can't find it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is HD Widgets worth buying if I already grabbed Beautiful Widgets?

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

foodfight posted:

I think I figured out my gmail issue. I don't normally use the power control widget but apparently I had hit the sync button on there and that turned off auto syncing. You would think that the button would correspond to a setting somewhere but if it does I can't find it.

Should be Settings > Accounts & Sync > Auto-Sync [X]

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

C-Euro posted:

Is HD Widgets worth buying if I already grabbed Beautiful Widgets?

After playing around with it for a bit I'm gonna say no, its the pretty much same thing but doesn't look as good in my opinion.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

jackpot posted:

Evo 4G:

Recently (I think it's within the past week, when my phone was reset, although it's hard to tell because I get so few calls) when I answer my phone I'm prompted to press 1 if I want to accept the call. Is this some weird Google Voice feature? At first I thought it was some kind of collect-call scam, but it's not, it's every call.

Yes, it's a voice setting. Check the settings page on the website.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I have a massive iTunes library (mp3 and m4a) that I would like to locally stream to my Android phone, what's the best way to do that?

I should add that the library is on a mac, and that if there was a way to mount the library folder to my phone and open that in PowerAmp, that would be amazing.

Olivil fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 13, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

AlexMoron posted:

SketchBook Mobile
I agree that SBM is really good and worth grabbing, although the $1 it normally costs is still a great deal.

But it's weird. I bought it on Amazon a long time ago, back in April, and was displeased when it fell behind the Market version (1.2?) for months, and I've since learned my lesson about purchasing from Amazon. Although I don't think it was really Amazon's fault, Autodesk just forgot about them.

Anyways, it appears that SBM finally did get updated on Amazon shortly before it was released as a freebie, to coincide with the Fire's release as I recall. Anyways, now the version on Amazon is newer (1.3.3 vs 1.3.1). Perhaps that doesn't make a difference, but I don't know what's up with Autodesk and why they can't keep their Amazon and Market versions consistent.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Just bought Where's My Water. My battery will be taking a beating for the next few days at least.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
I'm running an old HTC Magic, which is stuck on Android 2.1. The default keyboard and SMS apps feel super laggy, and it is driving me nuts. Can anyone recommend steps I can take to speed things up, including replacing some of the apps? I don't want anything fancy, I just want to be able to open a text message and reply without 5 seconds worth of loading time :S

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

atastypie posted:

I'm running an old HTC Magic, which is stuck on Android 2.1. The default keyboard and SMS apps feel super laggy, and it is driving me nuts. Can anyone recommend steps I can take to speed things up, including replacing some of the apps? I don't want anything fancy, I just want to be able to open a text message and reply without 5 seconds worth of loading time :S

On my old HTC Eris, I found that the Handcent SMS app generally was much snappier than the default SMS agent, however, iirc it started to slow down with each new update it received.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
A few questions:

1) Are there any alternatives to Chrome to Phone that also does the opposite? (i.e. Phone to Chrome)
1a) Is there an alternative to ReadItLater that does this?

2) Any better alternative to track data usage than My Data Manager? I'm just wondering if there are any other good options.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

atastypie posted:

The best results I have had on my Magic was with a version of the 2.2 OTA I found on XDA ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=947852 ) and the new radio (which frees up a bit of RAM for the OS)

There are plenty of traps though as there are quite a few different and incompatible hardware revisions so watch out if you do decide to go ahead and change the ROM.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Speaking of Chrome 2 Phone, is it not working for other people? I can't even log in on my Epic Touch. For the past few months on my Evo, it would work, but it would take five to ten minutes to receive whatever I sent to it.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Siroc posted:

A few questions:

1) Are there any alternatives to Chrome to Phone that also does the opposite? (i.e. Phone to Chrome)
1a) Is there an alternative to ReadItLater that does this?

https://market.android.com/details?...2lkMmNsb3VkIl0.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hkelgkihphkegiaagbcgglfidabmgkgp

I've used this before, but right now they're doing maintenance apparently, right when I post the app and add-on. I was trying to test it out before recommending it but the server is not responding, hopefully it does what you want. Though ever since I got ReadItLater Pro I haven't had the need for the 2cloud app.
This is only phone->chrome, though, you still need chrome->phone as a separate add on/app.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Speaking of Chrome 2 Phone, is it not working for other people? I can't even log in on my Epic Touch. For the past few months on my Evo, it would work, but it would take five to ten minutes to receive whatever I sent to it.

No problems for me, I use it maybe once a week and have always been able to get my pages sent pretty much immediately. I'm on a MT4G

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Beaver doesn't seem to be registering as web browser. That is, when I'm following a link, say, from within the Awful app, every other web browser that I have installed shows as an option but not Beaver. Is that intentional, am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

If you have a Roku device this is the best app for controlling it.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.byteapps.rokuremote.beta

• Locked thread