Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Can anyone recommend me a wireless router that has more than four physical internet ports? Five is all I need but if that's not possible it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0zzyRocks
Jul 10, 2001

Lord of the broken bong
I have a 750GB WD Caviar drive. I was simply wondering if this is hot-swappable. I have a case with a hot plug port and I want to put it there but I can't find anything on WDs site about whether it is or not.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

0zzyRocks posted:

I have a 750GB WD Caviar drive. I was simply wondering if this is hot-swappable. I have a case with a hot plug port and I want to put it there but I can't find anything on WDs site about whether it is or not.
Yes, all SATA hard drives can be hot swapped. The controller needs to support it though, and it needs to be set to AHCI mode. I can't recall, but there may be some additional steps you take in Windows to make it show the "Safely remove hardware" dialog for SATA drives (which flushes caches and prepares the disk to be disconnected).

Alereon fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 13, 2011

0zzyRocks
Jul 10, 2001

Lord of the broken bong
Excellent. Where can I find out if AHCI is on, besides the BIOS?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

0zzyRocks posted:

Excellent. Where can I find out if AHCI is on, besides the BIOS?
Crystal Disk Info will tell you.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
As an FYI for RMAing Seagate drives...

I have returned well over 50 drives (used to work for a whitebox VAR) and have never once had to speak to someone or give them a code. Never had a drive rejected either.

Go here (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/warranty_%26_returns_assistance), click "Return Multiple Drives", and if you only need to return a single drive click "Return a drive as Guest User".

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Wonder_Bread posted:

As an FYI for RMAing Seagate drives...

I have returned well over 50 drives (used to work for a whitebox VAR) and have never once had to speak to someone or give them a code. Never had a drive rejected either.

Go here (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/warranty_%26_returns_assistance), click "Return Multiple Drives", and if you only need to return a single drive click "Return a drive as Guest User".
And then if you don't have a Seagate error code simply click on the "http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/seatools-test-codes.htmlWhat if I don%27t have a code" and use any of the generic codes and you'll get an approved RMA.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is there any danger in overclocking your RAM above its rated speed? I'm vaguely aware that the only difference between the speed ratings is binning, or something like that, but what's the worst that could happen if you OC it too much?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You'll have to clear your CMOS or switch BIOSes or whatever if you set it too fast is about all. If you're running a fairly new system there isn't much to be gained by overclocking ram, though.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

real_scud posted:

And then if you don't have a Seagate error code simply click on the "http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/seatools-test-codes.htmlWhat if I don%27t have a code" and use any of the generic codes and you'll get an approved RMA.

Don't even need codes for that method, which for us was fantastic since we had our own test suite.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

The Monarch posted:

Can anyone recommend me a wireless router that has more than four physical internet ports? Five is all I need but if that's not possible it's fine.

I think you'll be much better off getting a 4-port router and an inexpensive hub or switch. Newegg only has two wireless routers with more than two ports; one only has 10/100 ethernet, and one is a $1900 (+ $5 shipping) corporate-class access point controller with actual access points sold separately.

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender
I bought an MSI GTX 560 Ti off of Newegg back in March. About a month ago I started having graphical distortions with it (messed up polygons, purple specks on the screen). The temperature reading is fine, but since it came factory overclocked I underclocked it slightly using MSI Afterburner, which fixed both problems for a time, but now the purple specks are coming back again.

It seems like it's a problem with the card itself, so I'm planning to RMA it. What's MSI's RMA process like? I'd rather not have a long down time over Christmas, if I have to send the card in then wait to get a new one (as I don't have a spare). Also, any advice for shipping? I don't have the original packaging any more.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Monarch posted:

You could try to score a Cisco 1811/1812w

They have 8 Ethernet ports. The bad thing is they are only 100mb, and the wireless is only 802.11g

But they are rock-solid. Plus they are Cisco :smug: They're old and still pretty expensive on eBay but maybe they have a newer model with the same features. I've seen them once in a while for $150-$200.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

You could try to score a Cisco 1811/1812w

They have 8 Ethernet ports. The bad thing is they are only 100mb, and the wireless is only 802.11g

But they are rock-solid. Plus they are Cisco :smug: They're old and still pretty expensive on eBay but maybe they have a newer model with the same features. I've seen them once in a while for $150-$200.

AC power is pretty neat too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I posted last week saying how my boss has a desktop that won't boot with a hotswappable SCSI drive on the front.

I don't have a way of working with SCSI cards at home, but he wants me to salvage some files off the drive for him. A goon pointed me to this device, except now that I got the OK from the chief it is out of stock / de-activated.

I just wanted to verify with you goons that this drive enclosure and this SAS-to-SATA cable are all that I would need? SCSI is completely unfamiliar to me. I just want to be able to plug the enclosure in to my home desktop, hook it up to a SATA port like I'm familiar with and copy-paste whatever files off the drive to a flash drive or something.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Shaocaholica posted:

AC power is pretty neat too.

I think so too, but power supplies are a common point of failure, so it's nice to be able to replace them.

What we need is more modular design, where the power supply slides out or unclips from the rest of the case. I'm thinking along the lines of the Nintendo 64 power supply, but with a standard socket on it instead of a built in AC lead.

Because nobody likes wall warts.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sab669 posted:

I posted last week saying how my boss has a desktop that won't boot with a hotswappable SCSI drive on the front.

I don't have a way of working with SCSI cards at home, but he wants me to salvage some files off the drive for him. A goon pointed me to this device, except now that I got the OK from the chief it is out of stock / de-activated.

I just wanted to verify with you goons that this drive enclosure and this SAS-to-SATA cable are all that I would need? SCSI is completely unfamiliar to me. I just want to be able to plug the enclosure in to my home desktop, hook it up to a SATA port like I'm familiar with and copy-paste whatever files off the drive to a flash drive or something.

If it's a SCSI drive that gear won't do you any good, that stuff is SATA and SAS which are different. I have a bunch of old SCSI cards and I'd be happy to let you have one for cheap. I can also help you get it set up. Can you PM me?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Not sure if this should be in the Software or Hardware thread.. is there a way to wipe password-locked hard drives? I don't care about getting data off of them. DBAN runs for a while, claims I have 7,000 hours left, then 'fails', with the generic error message. I've tried the drives in several machines, thinking maybe it was locked to the original hardware, but no luck. The drives are from various manufacturers, but all came from the same server.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sloppy posted:

Not sure if this should be in the Software or Hardware thread.. is there a way to wipe password-locked hard drives? I don't care about getting data off of them. DBAN runs for a while, claims I have 7,000 hours left, then 'fails', with the generic error message. I've tried the drives in several machines, thinking maybe it was locked to the original hardware, but no luck. The drives are from various manufacturers, but all came from the same server.

Hit them with a hammer.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Bob Morales posted:

Hit them with a hammer.

Yeah, we've got a box that goes to a metal shredder every so often, but these are pretty nice 400GB drives I'd like to reuse if possible.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sloppy posted:

Yeah, we've got a box that goes to a metal shredder every so often, but these are pretty nice 400GB drives I'd like to reuse if possible.

I was assuming you didn't have the password so you couldn't unlock them to use them.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I was assuming you didn't have the password so you couldn't unlock them to use them.

Yeah, I was just hoping there was some way to 'reset' the drives for reuse rather than destroying them. I should have been more clear, sorry. Anything I can't wipe has to be destroyed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sloppy posted:

Yeah, I was just hoping there was some way to 'reset' the drives for reuse rather than destroying them. I should have been more clear, sorry. Anything I can't wipe has to be destroyed.

Maybe you could try something like this?

http://www.hddunlock.com/

I'm not sure if that would work or not. Maybe check the data recovery thread (I think there was one) or ask Gromit.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Should I turn off Intel Turbo Boost if I manually overclock? What I'm afraid is that if I have my processor at 4.5 Ghz and then Intel Turbo Boost kicks in too it will fry my CPU. :ohdear:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Zilkin posted:

Should I turn off Intel Turbo Boost if I manually overclock? What I'm afraid is that if I have my processor at 4.5 Ghz and then Intel Turbo Boost kicks in too it will fry my CPU. :ohdear:

No, no.

You should be setting the turbo multiplier as your overclock target!

That is to say, turbo is your friend. It does the overclocking for you under load, then drops back without it, then speedstep cuts back even more in idle time.

Infact, I'm confused, is there even another way to do it? I don't even recall seeing base multiplier changes in my bios..

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

No, no.

You should be setting the turbo multiplier as your overclock target!

That is to say, turbo is your friend. It does the overclocking for you under load, then drops back without it, then speedstep cuts back even more in idle time.

Infact, I'm confused, is there even another way to do it? I don't even recall seeing base multiplier changes in my bios..

I got core i2500k and I'm pretty sure you change the CPU multiplier directly. I'm seriously confused about the whole Turbo Boost thing, as far as I've learned if you are only using one core it will boost the frequency by x amount. What I'm afraid is that if I got CPU at eg. 4.5 Ghz and only using one core Turbo Boost will boost the frequency even higher.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I have a 2500K and I set my turbo multiplier to 43, and left everything else on auto. Oh, except changing my RAM frequency to DDR3-1600. It worked OK at 4.5 but I want less heat/so it'll run quieter, basically.

There wasn't anything else to it.

Also, no, the BIOS usually has an option to change Turbo boost to all cores (although mine seemed to do this off the bat). That is to say, it turbos no matter how many cores are loaded.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 13, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Zilkin posted:

I got core i2500k and I'm pretty sure you change the CPU multiplier directly. I'm seriously confused about the whole Turbo Boost thing, as far as I've learned if you are only using one core it will boost the frequency by x amount. What I'm afraid is that if I got CPU at eg. 4.5 Ghz and only using one core Turbo Boost will boost the frequency even higher.

When you overclock, you're not changing the base frequency. You're setting Turbo Boost to "by all cores" (i.e. all cores have the same Turbo frequency rather than binning for 1/2/3/4 core loads), removing the Turbo Boost short-term power draw limits, and having the chip Turbo all the time. Turbo Boost is an essential part of the process, and it won't do what you're afraid of.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Zilkin posted:

What you're doing when you overclock the Sandy Bridge chips is effectively setting the maximum turbo IIRC. So, as long as it needs the CPU power, it'll go up to the multiplier you set, otherwise (assuming you don't disable it), speedstep will kick in and it'll idle at a much lower clock speed.

e:f;b x 2

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Zilkin posted:

e:fb

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Thanks for the answers, think I understand how it works now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Its taking 30 minutes to transfer 7GB of files from a sandisk Cruzer 16gb flash drive to my computer. Is it supposed to take that long? A few people are saying that's really slow..

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Avocados posted:

Its taking 30 minutes to transfer 7GB of files from a sandisk Cruzer 16gb flash drive to my computer. Is it supposed to take that long? A few people are saying that's really slow..

Thats around 3 MB/s which, yeah, is pretty slow. Is it a ton of small files such as pictures?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Full Circle posted:

Thats around 3 MB/s which, yeah, is pretty slow. Is it a ton of small files such as pictures?

A 7GB steam game folder. Friend bought a game, going to give him the files that way he doesn't have to spend hours upon hours downloading it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Avocados posted:

A 7GB steam game folder. Friend bought a game, going to give him the files that way he doesn't have to spend hours upon hours downloading it.

Here's a few things that would make it faster for future reference:

1)Zip/archive all the files into one big file. This will reduce overhead and the total size.
2)Use a portable hard drive and not a flash drive

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Just a note that if you use the Steam "Backup Game Files" function it will archive it for you (with any filesize you select) and include an installer that will import it into Steam on the target machine.

FireBlade
May 29, 2008
Sorry if this is not the right place to ask but I have hit a bit of a wall in my searching. Years ago, I bought myself an INOi media player. Essentially a portable HHD with enough brains to play some files to a TV (music and video mostly). I have done some digging but cannot find anywhere this product or a similar one is sold except second hand. I have found streaming boxes. But, those are not nearly as nice as being able to just grab the drive and just plug into a TV without needing any network infrastructure or technical know-how beyond putting the files on the portable drive.

New Egg Deactivated Product Page for the one I got

Have any of you seen this type of thing recently?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FireBlade posted:

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask but I have hit a bit of a wall in my searching. Years ago, I bought myself an INOi media player. Essentially a portable HHD with enough brains to play some files to a TV (music and video mostly). I have done some digging but cannot find anywhere this product or a similar one is sold except second hand. I have found streaming boxes. But, those are not nearly as nice as being able to just grab the drive and just plug into a TV without needing any network infrastructure or technical know-how beyond putting the files on the portable drive.

New Egg Deactivated Product Page for the one I got

Have any of you seen this type of thing recently?

All the cheaper WDTV (Western Digital TVs) do what you want. They do not have hard drives in them. You just plug an external one into the USB port. Here's an example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136997

Anyway, my question is about a "server" I just built. It's basically just a case with 8 hard drives in it, and one of those cheap, low powered Zotac motherboards. It ran fine for a few days, but now it seems to be just turning itself off for no reason. What is the most likely reason? It's cold where it is (basement in Vermont weather) and all the parts are new. The only thing I can think of is the PSU can't handle it? Except it did just fine for a good week, and all the hard drives are WD Green drives. The PSU is a 450 watt Antec EarthWatts. Is that too small of a PSU? Considering there's no video card, no optical drive, and it's just running Windows7, could a 450 watt, good quality PSU really be too weak?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

8 hard drives, onboard graphics, and a low power CPU are never going to saturate a good quality 450 watt.

The size of power supply is, I would suggest, not the problem here. Even on a high end system, you'd struggle to reach 450W pulled at the wall, let alone DC side.

It's possible that it's faulty, but it's just as possible anything else is faulty, too. Since it's all new you can't really rule anything out easily as nothing is "known good" to you.

Sure, it's cold where it is, but maybe the heatsink isn't fitted right, or there was too much paste applied (I'm assuming the CPU and heatsink were already installed on the board), so it might be worth looking at temps.

Are you sure it's not just something silly like the default power management settings being aggressive? That said, that wouldn't explain why it worked for a week. Hm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah everything was installed on the motherboard, I didn't apply any paste. It's actually fanless. It uses an Atom processor.

If this helps, this morning when I tried to turn it on again, I couldn't turn it on using the power switch (nothing would happen when pressing it). I had to unplug the 24pin PSU connector from the motherboard, plug it back in, and then it would let me turn it on. I guess this means it's either definitely the PSU or the motherboard?

• Locked thread