Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Found it lying on its side. -1 clutch lever, jacked up fairing. I never replaced the shifter, so that 1/4-20 bolt is bent.

The police came, dusted for prints, and found a huge handprint on the tank. Prints taken, report filed. The officer told me to get an estimate. If it's over $1000 in repairs, then it's felony vandalism. How much are bandit 1200 fairings now? OEM?

I'm not replacing the fairings. I don't think I'm even going to repair them.

I did order two clutch levers, though. At the rate this thing is going, I'll need them before the beginning of the year. I might also pick up some frame sliders and engine guards, just so I don't have to replace a clutch cover or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I did order two clutch levers, though. At the rate this thing is going, I'll need them before the beginning of the year. I might also pick up some frame sliders and engine guards, just so I don't have to replace a clutch cover or anything.

Let me know what you get. I have crash bars around my engine, but one of the three mounting tabs that bolt to the frame is busted on each side. So I'm on the look out for a new solution.

I can't imagine 1200 fairings are cheap. I don't think there were very common.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

mootmoot posted:

I do, when its dry and bright for a quick burn. Commuting, hell no. I do that in the comfort of my car with heated seats and climate control set to 'melt the icecaps.' Bikes aren't for riding in the rain or cold. The only people who have to do that deliver pizza.

So for the dude who's riding the bike which now looks like a retarded minature elk, get in a car. Any fool can be wet and cold riding a bike in the rain.

Edit:

Spikes are wicked, I don't see your point.

At least I won't look like a eunuch x

You're either trolling, or really really shouldn't be allowed anywhere near bikes. I'm actually really suprised you have a Daytona actually, you seem like the restricted R6 type.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I feel like this thread was riding straight and true and is now careening into the grass for no apparent reason

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

AncientTV posted:

If there were some exposed connections somewhere, you may have blown a fuse.
edit: Don't know if I missed it, or if you edited it in, but nevermind either way.
Nah, I edited it in after looking up the fuse location and trying to start it one last time before giving up for the night.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

_Dav posted:

You're either trolling, or really really shouldn't be allowed anywhere near bikes. I'm actually really suprised you have a Daytona actually, you seem like the restricted R6 type.

I bought the Daytona because IMO it looks the coolest. The 'Daytona' at the bottom is awesome - kind of like a font like how 'Baywatch' was written, some retro 80's Miami beach combined with modern cutting edge bike power. The whole shape of the bike looks great. Plus it's red so perfect. I heard that it was the best in it's range. Less bothered about that but it's still cool.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

mootmoot posted:

I do, when its dry and bright for a quick burn. Commuting, hell no. I do that in the comfort of my car with heated seats and climate control set to 'melt the icecaps.' Bikes aren't for riding in the rain or cold. The only people who have to do that deliver pizza.

So for the dude who's riding the bike which now looks like a retarded minature elk, get in a car. Any fool can be wet and cold riding a bike in the rain.

Please don't add to the statistics.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I feel like this thread was riding straight and true and is now careening into the grass for no apparent reason

Team Snowdens Secret.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mootmoot posted:

I bought the Daytona because IMO it looks the coolest. The 'Daytona' at the bottom is awesome - kind of like a font like how 'Baywatch' was written, some retro 80's Miami beach combined with modern cutting edge bike power. The whole shape of the bike looks great. Plus it's red so perfect. I heard that it was the best in it's range. Less bothered about that but it's still cool.
You're just trolling now right?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Got the estimate back from the insurance adjuster.

Left front fairing (with signal), gauge cluster fairing, left mirror, clutch lever, left bar end, starter cover w/gasket, shifter.

And the biggie: handlebar and tank. Apparently, it fell hard enough to bend the bar on the left side and dent the tank. Handlebar replacement is $80 in parts, and $180 in labor. Tank "small dent removal" is $350 from a local shop.

Total is $1500.
I'm thinking I'm going to make the claim, then source my own plastics at less-than-OEM prices, and use the difference to put the engine guards/frame sliders on. Of course, if the prints from the tank come back, then a civil suit to recover the damages is likely.

I will be riding this thing tomorrow, though, as the first thing I did after the police left was order a pair of clutch levers, and they'll be showing up tomorrow.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Got the estimate back from the insurance adjuster.

Left front fairing (with signal), gauge cluster fairing, left mirror, clutch lever, left bar end, starter cover w/gasket, shifter.

And the biggie: handlebar and tank. Apparently, it fell hard enough to bend the bar on the left side and dent the tank. Handlebar replacement is $80 in parts, and $180 in labor. Tank "small dent removal" is $350 from a local shop.

Total is $1500.
I'm thinking I'm going to make the claim, then source my own plastics at less-than-OEM prices, and use the difference to put the engine guards/frame sliders on. Of course, if the prints from the tank come back, then a civil suit to recover the damages is likely.

I will be riding this thing tomorrow, though, as the first thing I did after the police left was order a pair of clutch levers, and they'll be showing up tomorrow.

That price for the bars sounds nothing short of extortionate. Changing the bars won't take more than an hour, so unless their labour is $180p/h I'd steer well clear. In your place I'd be looking at aftermarket bars too, perhaps Renthals.

It's the old Bandit12 right? There's loads of tanks on eBay UK, postage would probably sting though. You might be able to find somebody parting one out with handlebars and tank to save on shipping though.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

mootmoot posted:

I know mootmoot is our new abunchofnumbers/Jack-the-Smack style resident troll and all.

But seriously "retarded minature elk" is loving hilarious.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
45 degrees today and sunny, weird ole Rochester.

Ripped the Ninja outta storage and screamed around downtown for a bit on it and ensured that the Sta-bilized gasoline cycled quite well through the fuel system. Then tucked it back away and headed to work in my boring ol' Honda. :smith: :smith: This is enslavement.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

the walkin dude posted:

45 degrees today and sunny, weird ole Rochester.

Ripped the Ninja outta storage and screamed around downtown for a bit on it and ensured that the Sta-bilized gasoline cycled quite well through the fuel system. Then tucked it back away and headed to work in my boring ol' Honda. :smith: :smith: This is enslavement.

You watch it with that boring old honda poo poo. (or you're ridingdriving the wrong kind of honda)

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/11/garage-makeover-30.html

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
drat you. I'm awfully, awfully tempted to get a cheapo beater bike for my 2-month internship in Connecticut next month. Something like a dirt bike. I won't even be having a car for the internship (the Honda's the girlfriend's, she's keeping it in NY for school).

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Ordered new kickstand springs after they fell off on the freeway. I should probably check WHY they fell off when I get home today. That hadn't occurred to me until I wrote this post.

This will be a test of how long it takes Aprilia spares to make it to me..

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Man, that is nice. Every time I see a pic of one of these I really really want one, then I remember several people's nightmare GL carb rebuilding posts.

E: In retrospect they may have been your posts, Charlie

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 13, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Snowdens Secret posted:

Man, that is nice. Every time I see a pic of one of these I really really want one, then I remember several people's nightmare GL carb rebuilding posts.

It was, and still is. :sigh:

In the bike's defense I have received the boot clamps but I haven't tried them out. I'm balls deep in 3 simultaneous projects that don't belong to me, so I just do not have time to do anything to my bikes.

I could put them on and find out whether or not they're the reason that there's an air leak. However, if they don't fix it, I'm hosed.
I can't do anything about the carbs right now so I'd just rather not know at the moment; not until I have time to deal with potential carb problems.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 14, 2011

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Got some Seafoam into the DRZ and GSX-R. DRZ started right up and after warming up, idled perfectly, and took throttle wonderfully.

GSX-R wouldn't start. Its always been a pig when it hasn't been run in awhile. Going to recharge battery and try again.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

MrZig posted:

Got some Seafoam into the DRZ and GSX-R. DRZ started right up and after warming up, idled perfectly, and took throttle wonderfully.

GSX-R wouldn't start. Its always been a pig when it hasn't been run in awhile. Going to recharge battery and try again.

I've used seafoam on my old bike and my wife's bike. I also tried it on my jeep and had to replace two O2 sensors a couple weeks later, which I don't know if it is connected.. but I am too afraid to put it into my new bike. Am I being paranoid?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GanjamonII posted:

I've used seafoam on my old bike and my wife's bike. I also tried it on my jeep and had to replace two O2 sensors a couple weeks later, which I don't know if it is connected.. but I am too afraid to put it into my new bike. Am I being paranoid?

Yes. But why would it need it?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Z3n posted:

Yes. But why would it need it?

I should say the thought makes me uncomfortable, not that I've had to actually do it yet. I've read to use it as a fuel stabiliser if I leave the bike sitting for extended periods as is the case with those other bikes at the moment. At this point I don't really need it.

Edit - when I used it on the jeep it was due to someone recommending it to clean out the injectors etc as the fuel economy was starting to get worse, which I'm guessing was probably a symptom of the oxygen sensors dying..

GanjamonII fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 14, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GanjamonII posted:

I should say the thought makes me uncomfortable, not that I've had to actually do it yet. I've read to use it as a fuel stabiliser if I leave the bike sitting for extended periods as is the case with those other bikes at the moment. At this point I don't really need it.

Edit - when I used it on the jeep it was due to someone recommending it to clean out the injectors etc as the fuel economy was starting to get worse, which I'm guessing was probably a symptom of the oxygen sensors dying..

Ahh, yes, you can do that. I do agree with your guess that the mileage was going down cause the sensors were going out though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I took some pictures of the mostly painted XS650 motor.

More pictures here:
http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/12/xs650-motor-paint-part-deux.html

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Snowdens Secret posted:

I also posted Goldwing carb rebuild stuff, but it was almost 3 years ago. Not a nightmare at all, at least not on a GL1100. Oddly enough fewer expensive wear items than the XJ650 carbs that I have spent a lot of time with. The headers are sealed with o-rings so it seems like air leaks would be a lot easier to address than any rubberized manifold system that uses clamps.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

AnnoyBot posted:

I also posted Goldwing carb rebuild stuff, but it was almost 3 years ago. Not a nightmare at all, at least not on a GL1100. Oddly enough fewer expensive wear items than the XJ650 carbs that I have spent a lot of time with. The headers are sealed with o-rings so it seems like air leaks would be a lot easier to address than any rubberized manifold system that uses clamps.

Oh don't get me wrong the GL1000 (and later, but less capable GL1100) carbs are well designed. I've just got the set from hell that was an amalgamation of 4 different sets of carbs. and have been trying to fix since I got the bike.

They do have a rubber boot and clamp that attaches the carb to the intake runner. These boots, much like your rubber intake manifolds are a common source for air leaks.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ok. The insurance check is still warm from the printer, and I'm going to buy parts.

The bar isn't too bad; I'm going to take it to work and take the kink out with the 3/4 bender. The tank isn't bad either. Bondo, sanding, and paint.

I need a front left fairing and center fairing, cheep. Where should I go? I can find a BUNCH of places selling OEM fairings, but is there someplace cheaper?

Edit:
Everything's bought. Babbitt's online turned out cheapest for fairings. Total for all involved parts was $615 shipped, so I bought some engine guards from twistedthrottle.com.

The only other repair that is paid for is the tank. I'm going to sand and bondo the dent myself, should I attempt to paint it, as well, or is that something I should have a shop do?

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 18, 2011

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I got the stupid bolt out holding my muffler onto the frame. gently caress this square bolt, I basically had to pry off the bit of metal bracketing preventing me from getting to it with a 12 - 14 mm open ended wrench, it was a huge relief to break it loose. I was on the verge of giving up and riding around with an ugly rear end muffler.

Took me a while to figure out how the exhaust servo cables worked out but I eventually got everything figured out and fired it up with no issues or FI lights coming on.

Exhaust was leaking out of the part where it ate the pavement real good.

"new" ebay exhaust,

Looks like new again!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yours looks way nicer than mine. I should get around to washing it at some point.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Looks great, why not do an after market while you were at it, if I may ask?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sometimes, in rare occasions, the stock exhaust can look really good. It's all a matter of taste, of course, but I think the stock on that bike is dead sexy.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Nitramster posted:

Looks great, why not do an after market while you were at it, if I may ask?

I rather like the stock exhaust on the K5/K6, sounds great, looks great, and it's not like the bike really needs any more power if a slipon/full system would change much. Also it was cheaper for find a nicer stock muffler or some scratched up aftermarket ones that were used, and new ones are more than I wanted to spend.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Cool, I personalty hate the current triangular exhaust trend so I'd swap that thing out asap. Your bike does look great now though, and I hope you didn't get hurt if you were riding that thing when it went down.

Blegh

They just keep getting bigger too! Almost all the new models at the long beach show had massive exhuasts.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
In Japan "massive exhaust" = "massive horsepower" in a similar way to American demand for ever pointlessly wider rear tires. That's why the big japbikes hang those giant cans off the side instead of tucking them under like the Panigale.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

It's a convenient way to meet pass-by noise regulations, that's all. The more air you can pump through the engine, the more power you make, and the more noise it produces when it displaces out the other end. Conservation of energy and all that.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Say 'emissions' three times and an ugly muffler appears.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Seems I'm basically alone in the world in thinking this but I think 4-2 exhausts look the best, even on modern bikes... v:shobon:v

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've been spending the past day troubleshooting my friend's drat bike. Sometimes, it seems like older bikes aren't worth it.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

I've been spending the past day troubleshooting my friend's drat bike. Sometimes, it seems like older bikes aren't worth it.

If you're drat sure it doesn't have a vacuum leak at the intake boots, it sounds like you have very worn or maladjusted needle jets.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
D/P

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Have you separated RPM-dependent issues from throttle opening? What happens if you've got it at high RPM on a downhill and give it 1/4 throttle?