Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Avocados posted:

http://i.imgur.com/AIZSL.jpg

e:http://i.imgur.com/I5k0H.jpg
heres the unedited version by someone else...who I think was the original. It's a bit lower res though.
People have been repeating this often so its hard to find the "right one".

Perfect! Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I got a shirt here, and it has no tag. How do I know what's the front or back?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the posted:

The neck-hole is usually higher on the back then the front.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
If they're so similar that you can't even tell, does front and back even matter anymore?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wear it whichever way feels more comfortable. Who's going to call you on it if it doesn't have a tag?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

A blackbody is something that only emits light; it does not reflect light. What is the object called that behaves oppositely? In other words, what object only reflects light; it does not emit light?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

the posted:

The shoulders are cut a little differently too, so it should feel uncomfortable or at least not-quite-right if it's on backwards.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Abel Wingnut posted:

A blackbody is something that only emits light; it does not reflect light. What is the object called that behaves oppositely? In other words, what object only reflects light; it does not emit light?

A reflector?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

There's no such thing as a perfect blackbody, and something that could emit light without absorbing any would defy the first law of thermodynamics. Unless I'm not hearing your question right.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Noni posted:

Anyway, you're not screwed on fronting the shipping cost if you use paypal/ebay to print the label. They'll deduct that, at least.

Since I can't front the shipping cost on this item I will have to use paypal to print a shipping label. The only kind of scale I have is a bathroom scale. Will I be safe if I just overshoot the weight a bit? I also heard that you round up to the nearest pound with priority mail? Will that work. I don't think I have access to a better scale at all.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

NESguerilla posted:

Since I can't front the shipping cost on this item I will have to use paypal to print a shipping label. The only kind of scale I have is a bathroom scale. Will I be safe if I just overshoot the weight a bit? I also heard that you round up to the nearest pound with priority mail? Will that work. I don't think I have access to a better scale at all.

Yep, that'll work. Nearest pound? I don't know about that. If it's true, the shipping calculator would do it automatically. As for estimating weight, if you don't have a scale or are resorting to bath scale, find objects around your house with known weights and balance them with the package in your hands. Then switch hands. You should be able to estimate the package weight pretty well. (By the way, 1oz gold or silver coins are good for this).

When you go to the post office, just double-check the weight.

Also, post office scales can be really inaccurate, so I overshoot a few ounces for that reason even when using my decent shipping scale.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Wrong painting;

I, too, have always felt that Tetris was holy.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Who/what should I call when I find something blocking the road, like a downed tree or a massive half-pulped deer. I'd imagine that whoever I would call would vary depending on if it was a highway, interstate, or local road, but I don't know who that would be for each category.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NESguerilla posted:

You can never go wrong over paying for postage. You won't get a refund if you actually only needed less, but if you underpay instead then it becomes a huge mess and hassle to deal with.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Who/what should I call when I find something blocking the road, like a downed tree or a massive half-pulped deer. I'd imagine that whoever I would call would vary depending on if it was a highway, interstate, or local road, but I don't know who that would be for each category.

You should probably call 911 if you don't know the local Department of Transportation's number.

Something blocking the road is a clear and present hazard to anyone trying to drive after all.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Abel Wingnut posted:

Everything is a blackbody. The only thing that wouldn't be a blackbody would be something at absolute zero (i.e. nothing in the known universe). Anything that is above absolute zero emits radiation, which doesn't necessarily have to be visible light; thus making it a blackbody.

Basically the answer to your question is: we don't have a name for such an object because such an object does not (and cannot to our knowledge) exist.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
What's happening at the atomic level with metallic reflective objects?
My (naive highschool) understanding is that things absorb photons, which "kicks an electron up to a higher orbital and then the electron snaps back down" and a photon is emitted. Or something like that, but the point is that the photons are being absorbed and new (?) ones are being emitted. What's happening to photons that are reflected?
Also, what happens to photons that pass through glass (or anything else that isn't a vacuum) and get refracted?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

zachol posted:

What's happening at the atomic level with metallic reflective objects?
My (naive highschool) understanding is that things absorb photons, which "kicks an electron up to a higher orbital and then the electron snaps back down" and a photon is emitted. Or something like that, but the point is that the photons are being absorbed and new (?) ones are being emitted.

This is just photon emission and is what gives us the light from neon signs, fluorescent lights, glowing nebulae, ad so on. This only happens if the material has accessible electrons that are able to be excited by the photon. Otherwise poo poo just gets absorbed as heat.

zachol posted:

What's happening to photons that are reflected?

This... is a very good question. I never even thought about what happens on a mirror at the atomic level.

zachol posted:

Also, what happens to photons that pass through glass (or anything else that isn't a vacuum) and get refracted?

I only know this question when light is considered as a wave, not a series of photons. Light travels at different speeds through different media. It travels slower through glass than it does through air, causing the light to bend in the "direction" of the shortest wavelength. I would like to know how this is explained with the photon model as well. I get that the light will still slow down, but why would it bend?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 13, 2011

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I want to ask that somebody wish me luck for tomorrow. I have a presentation that's discouraging me from getting to sleep; chugging down beers sounded like a bad idea. Anyone have some good calm down methods that can be done immediately without any financial investments?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

JDanielS posted:

I want to ask that somebody wish me luck for tomorrow. I have a presentation that's discouraging me from getting to sleep; chugging down beers sounded like a bad idea. Anyone have some good calm down methods that can be done immediately without any financial investments?
Dim your lights and sit quietly. Stay away from brightly lit things (like a monitor!). Try to clear your mind and think relaxing thoughts.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my phone's camera? Its an HTC Evo, I've had it for about a year. It was used, but the camera worked perfectly until recently. Nothing traumatic has happened to it as far as I remember. It adds this.. fuzzyness to all photos. It used to take decent quality, clear photos. I've wiped the outside of the lens multiple times, but that doesnt make it better or worse. Sometimes the fuzziness is worse than others, it seems. This is the best "not fuzzy" photo I can find.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

the posted:

Put it on a hanger and see how it drapes. The higher part will be the back and you can mark it off. If neither part is higher, wear it however you like.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

JDanielS posted:

Play a podcast of something that is both entertaining enough that you won't think about tomorrow, but unimportant enough that you won't mind falling asleep and missing part of it. For me, the NPR show, "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me," seems to do the trick. I wouldn't suggest listening to anything that has a plot and music doesn't help as it still permits you to think about stressful things.

While calming techniques can help, if it's not a part of your normal sleep routine then it might actually be detrimental. For example, paying attention to your breathing but lying perfectly still with your eyes closed and mentally going through every part of your body, from toes to head, and telling them to relax. Yeah, you'll relax and feel pretty grand, but the problem is that your rear end in a top hat brain is like, "This sure is relaxing, but it's not what I'm used to, so I'm going to wake you up just as soon as you start to sleep with some stressful thoughts."

You've got to trick that son of a bitch. Give your brain some unimportant things to think about. That's why you should seek something that fills the criteria of being boring as poo poo, but distracting to your mind.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

OrangeGuy posted:

Not sure if this should be its own thread in Tourism & Travel, but to be on the safe side:

I'm (very faintly) possibly looking at emigrating from the United States in the future and would like to at least work for a few years as a temporary foreign resident in a foreign country.

More specifically, I'd be looking for a country that is demonstrably much more socially liberal and open-minded, places a greater emphasis/priority on the social welfare of the country (e.g. higher quality/lower cost for education, health care, etc), more open to immigration/diversity/pluralism, enjoys a booming economy, an openness to entrepreneurship, and etc. Would I be wrong in looking at countries like Brazil or the Netherlands first with these aspects in mind? I would also highly welcome suggestions for countries to look at in Asia even if they do not necessarily fit all of the above requirements (e.g. Taiwan, Thailand, etc).

I would appreciate any advice. :)

If you need further clarification, just let me know.

I think you'll find your choices surprisingly limited. If you have significant specialized experience in a high demand work field then you can immigrate to many places (after a very long and tedious application process), otherwise you need a job offer willing to sponsor you or find a country that offers working holiday visas.

From personal experience I can highly recommend Australia and New Zealand, though I'll leave it up to you to decide if they fit your criteria.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there any cold medicines out there that actually reduce a cold's length? Or am I better off just going through the motions of drinking a lot of fluids and getting my rest?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

what kind of dog is this

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Avocados posted:

Are there any cold medicines out there that actually reduce a cold's length? Or am I better off just going through the motions of drinking a lot of fluids and getting my rest?

There's none that have been rigorously scientifically proven to do more than shorten it by 12 hours. And to get that effect, you basically have to get said medicine as soon as you think you're getting a cold, so it's not really worth it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I recently watched a "humorous" internet video made by some British kids that was a parody of Jackass, but instead of doing stunts, they performed small feats that would make normal people only slightly put-off. Amongst these was drinking tea without milk.

I'm American and I enjoy drinking Earl Grey and English Breakfast tea without milk, but came to it on my own rather than culturally. My mother is English and has always put milk in her tea, but I find it unnecessary and often distracting of what I consider the pleasant natural flavors of the tea. Is it really considered "gross" over there to not put milk in your tea?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Our customers love paper. We needed some data from them. They had the data in a spreadsheet, they pasted it into a Word document, printed it and then mailed it to us. After it got here, we scanned it, OCRd it, corrected the OCR errors and then input the data. Our customers refuse to just email us the data. Is this a common thing, or do we just put up with way more stupid poo poo than most people?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
There's several reasons this might be, but the snail mail thing makes me think it is a security issue. Your customers might not be able to email encrypted items, so just ask them to put it on a USB and mail it to you that way. It could also be because they've had bad experiences with people getting their data and screwing it up when trying to work with it and losing the formats or labels, but that shouldn't be a big deal with Excel.

overseerbrian
Jun 25, 2005

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Our customers love paper. We needed some data from them. They had the data in a spreadsheet, they pasted it into a Word document, printed it and then mailed it to us. After it got here, we scanned it, OCRd it, corrected the OCR errors and then input the data. Our customers refuse to just email us the data. Is this a common thing, or do we just put up with way more stupid poo poo than most people?

We have the same problem, especially with our larger customers. There are probably some hidden columns or formulas they don't want you to see. Especially when there are multiple clients in the same workbook; they want to make it as unlikely as possible that you be able to see other clients data. Maybe you could get them to send you a pdf copy instead. At least that would skip an analog step. Might be easier on the OCR also.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

overseerbrian posted:

We have the same problem, especially with our larger customers. There are probably some hidden columns or formulas they don't want you to see. Especially when there are multiple clients in the same workbook; they want to make it as unlikely as possible that you be able to see other clients data.

I'm absolutely certain this is not the case and that they are just incompetent. The particular data isn't even sensitive and we have a VPN to them that could be used as well. Maybe "refuse" was the wrong word. The phrase "are not smart enough" would probably have been more accurate. Getting them to put data on a USB drive and mail it to us would be more difficult than getting Congress to agree on something. Our customer does retarded things on a regular basis that we have to fix. I was just wondering if this kind of stuff was common.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So, I have box seats for How to Succeed in Business tonight, but having only been to one(!) other broadway show, what should I expect? (from the seating arrangement, not the show. I've never been in box seats before)

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
Are there any car insurance companies that do not require family plans if you are married? I posted earlier, I still can't get insurance because of my husband's suspended license so now I want to see if there's an insurance option that doesn't require your husband to be on the plan.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

I'm absolutely certain this is not the case and that they are just incompetent. The particular data isn't even sensitive and we have a VPN to them that could be used as well. Maybe "refuse" was the wrong word. The phrase "are not smart enough" would probably have been more accurate. Getting them to put data on a USB drive and mail it to us would be more difficult than getting Congress to agree on something. Our customer does retarded things on a regular basis that we have to fix. I was just wondering if this kind of stuff was common.

I'm guessing its more dependent on who you work with. I work at a survey research facility and our customers tend to be academics and major research institutions, so we don't have that much of an issue in terms of not being able to get them to give us data sets.

Now the state the data sets are in....

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

JDanielS posted:

Good luck tomorrow.

Personally I find that listening to the BBC World Service on a timer that is just loud enough to be easily audible helps me get through insomnia of various kinds. You should be able to listen to it online or on a digital radio, or on a radio app for a smartphone.

feedmyleg posted:

I recently watched a "humorous" internet video made by some British kids that was a parody of Jackass, but instead of doing stunts, they performed small feats that would make normal people only slightly put-off. Amongst these was drinking tea without milk.

I'm American and I enjoy drinking Earl Grey and English Breakfast tea without milk, but came to it on my own rather than culturally. My mother is English and has always put milk in her tea, but I find it unnecessary and often distracting of what I consider the pleasant natural flavors of the tea. Is it really considered "gross" over there to not put milk in your tea?

I don't think it's gross, but I do prefer tea with milk. It also really depends on the tea.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

feedmyleg posted:

Milk's almost ubiquitous, but I think the rich make a point of taking their tea with lemon. I wouldn't call drinking it straight gross, but I would be surprised.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

feedmyleg posted:

No, it's not considered gross, I know loads of people who drink tea without milk here. Especially earl grey and green tea.

Most people have milk but some don't.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Rurutia posted:

I'm guessing its more dependent on who you work with. I work at a survey research facility and our customers tend to be academics and major research institutions, so we don't have that much of an issue in terms of not being able to get them to give us data sets.

Now the state the data sets are in....

If we're lucky we'll get an rtf, which is at least has real digital data, but the data is positioned using twips so it's drat near impossible to extract automatically. Sometimes we'll get forwarded jpgs that were emailed from their scanner to them because it's easier for them to print something out and then feed it back into the same machine than it is to attach it to an email. If we're really lucky, we'll get a spreadsheet with 87 images in it and relevant data. Usually they'll put the identifier in one row, then data pertaining to it in the next X rows, followed by another identifier. I don't understand how some of these people get dressed in the morning much less use a computer. You guys are making it sound like this isn't a normal scenario.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

You need, I think, to have a talk with the manager of the customer team. Explain that by going through this process, they run a significant risk of losing or corrupting data, because printing to a physical copy could result in data being chopped off (if the page size is too big, for instance) mailing a physical copy introduces the risk of damage to the copy, the OCR is imperfect, and the person who has to be taken away from their normal duties to correct the OCR errors might make a mistake.

That's four possible failure points that could be avoided if they just emailed or VPN-transferred the original spreadsheet file.

Then, tell the manager that you'll train ONE person to use the VPN properly, so that when you need data, they can call on that person. That way, you don't have to rely on an entire team remembering what the procedure is; they can just go to VPN Person and ask them to do it. Make sure to leave behind a paper copy of the procedure, too, in the possession of VPN Person, so that they can refer to it if they need to (and so that if, for example, they're out sick and you need data right this second, someone else can theoretically do the transfer).

(When you do this, suggest the person on the team that YOU like the most, because doing this is going to give whatever person you train a HUGE amount of job security and promotability.)

(This is, incidentally, how I solved an almost-identical problem a while ago; the data-entry guy they chose to be VPN Guy is now head of IT at that company...)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

This behavior is widespread, almost to the point that you think it must be being taught somewhere. There are a couple of computer janitor-type threads in SH/SC, and this is a running gag in them.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Besesoth posted:

Advice

This would be great, but it's not possible. It's impossible for us to get our customer to change anything they do, no matter how good the reason. I was just trying to see if anyone else had to deal with the same problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
When clothing says "air dry" can you also put it in the dryer on no or low heat?