Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action_Bastard
Nov 26, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Just once can't someone have a Dung Beetle or Hagfish soul? Why is always wolves and loving dragons. Hell, I'd even accept Hyena or Turkey Vulture.

If our culture came from ancient Egypt we'd probably have Dung Beetle otherkin and furries too. On second thought I think we already have Dung Beetle furries, if you know what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inaniloquent
Apr 7, 2007

Je suis génie.
How did you figure out that you have a space dragon soul, exactly?

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls
I think comparing Otherkin to religion is an unfair comparison. The idea of most religions (in theory) is to live in peace among your fellow men and to be a good person. The point of being an Otherkin is to retreat into some escapist fantasy rather than dealing with any of the problems you're avoiding, and more often than not includes hosed up fetishes and weird sexuality.
This is kind of derailing, but do we really need someone to get on their soapbox to say "Otakukin is no worse than organized religion!" it seems like a really bad area for the discussion to get into.

Rorac clearly has some issues if his best defense for being an Otherkin is "I'm a dragon, but I'm not delusional like other people that think they're dragons." Or maybe I'm wrong and Rorac is the Dovahkiin.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Just once can't someone have a Dung Beetle or Hagfish soul? Why is always wolves and loving dragons. Hell, I'd even accept Hyena or Turkey Vulture.

Fern, Virus, and Rutabaga.

Being a wolf or a dragon is an understandable nerd wish-fulfillment fantasy, but deciding that of all the creatures on earth you identify most with hagfish or viruses? That's serious issues.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

OldMemes posted:

If you don't do anything or get anything from being otherkin, what's the point?

So you just go "I was a alien dragon. Ok." then do....nothing?

I said what I get from being an otherkin. Appreciation for my humanity. Beyond that, yes. The answer is 'do nothing'. That's pretty much the entire point I've been trying to get across. Or perhaps the idea that the crazy people arn't insane because of otherkin, they're insane because there's something wrong with their head and they latched onto otherkin for gods know why. I'm hoping that everybody here sees that even if they think I'm not entirely sane I am at least functional, in contrast to fairy man and some otaku-kin. This is what otherkin is; it's not really that extreme.

quote:

I'd be willing to bet if you looked hard enough, you'll find both of the latter eventually. Probably the reason for the commonness for wolves and dragons is due to a high turnover rate. There ARE many that jump in and do want to feel special, generally make an rear end of themselves and then leave. I'm pretty sure those people, if they ever got around to asking themselves the hard questions ended up saying 'no, I wasn't a dragon/wolf/whatever' As for the insects and such, my hypothesis is even if somebody has a life as an insect or a hagfish, it's not very likely that they would have much in the way of memories or a strong spiritual influence because how big of a brain does your average insect have? How long of a life do most insects have? Insects are driven on virtually pure instinct; they're practically biological machines when you sit down and think about it. Compare that to say, a raven which has shown the capacity for independent reasoning and problem solving. Or was it crows that could do that, I forget.

quote:

What made you realise you are a dragon? Tell me about dragons. Do dragons exist but humanity never found them, or did they all die out and only their souls live on in human bodies or something. Tell me about dragon biology and stuff like that, why would a lion be able to defeat a dragon? How big are dragons? Tell me about the planet, what was it like?

Does being a dragon affect your day-to-day life in any way. Do you go around going all "rawr" and stuff.

I'm going to have to answer all this in a big blanket statement, because I have never ever seen two dragon otherkin that described themselves the same way. Literally every single dragon I've seen looks different from every other one. I cannot answer these questions because it would not apply to all of them.

Please understand that any answers I give to any questions are my personal experience; nothing more.

quote:

Also poo poo like this is escapism because it makes you feel you're special, you're different. You have this world where you were once this beautiful mythical animal and your life only sucks because you're trapped in this lovely body that's clearly not you!

Except I don't believe my life sucks. My body isn't bad, and I don't feel special. Escapism implies being able to fix or at least think you can fix your problems by escaping them. I recognize I cannot fix any problems by being otherkin and more importantly, there are no problems I have to fix.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
But still...Dragons.

Dragons from space? :confused:

Who else knows about this?

EDIT: Is it still SA policy that people taking about thier good looks have to post proof? Or is that only in E/N? Watch out alien dragon guy! :ohdear:

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 13, 2011

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

Rorac posted:

At the point you figured out you were a space dragon, you said you were suicidal and that it helped you.

You just never let go of the idea.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Please, stop applying 'space' to this, it's irrelevant. I came to that conclusion due to the fact that there are pretty clearly no dragons here on earth; from what I've seen and heard few if anybody actually believe there were dragons on earth.

And again; I'm not special. I wasn't special back then, I'm not special now. As a dragon I did normal animal things: I lived, I killed stuff, I ate stuff, I hosed, I died. The end.

I guess the point I'm trying to get across here is; call a crazy otherkin crazy not because they're otherkin, but because they're just insane.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 13, 2011

Action_Bastard
Nov 26, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Ghoul posted:

I think comparing Otherkin to religion is an unfair comparison. The idea of most religions (in theory) is to live in peace among your fellow men and to be a good person. The point of being an Otherkin is to retreat into some escapist fantasy rather than dealing with any of the problems you're avoiding, and more often than not includes hosed up fetishes and weird sexuality.

Oh what-EVER dude. Mormonism was founded on a con artist's desire to gently caress some other guys' wives. The first Christians broke off of their Jewish bros because gently caress YOU DAD HE'S REALLY THE SON OF GOD. I'M GOING TO FOLLOW HIM IT'S FOR REAL AND I CAN DO WHAT I WANT.
Hinduism believes that there are Gods who are like half-monkey and half-elephant and poo poo. How's that for 'not 100% human'?
Here's another cult of the zombie dead hippy example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Circumcision
IT'S GOD'S DICKTIP DAY. The FEAST of circumcision. Tell me that doesn't put a smile on your face, and a lick on your lips.

Fffffffuck your made-up-holy-poo poo elitism. Every religion is based on and celebrates ridiculous poo poo. Deal with it. Somewhere you just *know* there is a little poo poo town with nothing to its name but the claim that the old gnarly tree growing next to their dried up well is the God's Christ's Dick Tip Tree. It's the loving Holy Schmuck Tree. It's the Tree that Grew From Jesus' Severed Wang Skin.
And dudes tear off a piece of bark and chew on it right before consummating their wedding night and believe that that will bring them a Strong and Godly Son.

BUT SPACE DRAGONS? THAT poo poo IS CRAAAAAZY.

Try to put things in perspective. Actually in perspective, don't just compare them to what you grew up with and feel comfortable with. Every new idea like this gets made fun of, right up until we have two Mormon candidates for President and Republicans have to argue over whether they are allowed to make fun of them or not. Catholics used to treated like poo poo in this country for being poor immigrants with swarms of grubby children, remember?

God I am enjoying the hell out of this thread.

Action_Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 13, 2011

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'm guessing you have a chip on your shoulder about religion and faith? Go and deal with it elsewhere, and stop making GBS threads on a good thread. You're ruining it for everyone. :colbert:

There is quite clearly a differance between a faith with history, narrative, meaning and "I'm a space dragon for reals!". Unless you're an otherkin too or something?

This is a good thread, and just gets better and better otherwise.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 13, 2011

Action_Bastard
Nov 26, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

OldMemes posted:

You're ruining it for everyone me. :colbert:

Well I think it's funny :colbert:. But since I've offended you and this is the be-nice-on-the-internet forum I'll just get back to work and stop posting. I did say not to be mean right to someone's face. Sorry to offend. You baby.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Rorac, what personality traits or feelings do you have that point inescapably to your having been a dragon specifically (and not something else)? How or why do those traits do not fall into the range of traits that can be held by "normal" humans?

Like, what I'm trying to get at is do you think that the range of human feeling does not encompass sometimes feeling primal, or alienated, or strong, or whatever?

Snapdragon750
Mar 7, 2007

PLEASE DISREGARD MY FAGGOT TREE

Action_Bastard posted:

But don't act like you can advise him to "GO GET HELP YOU SPERGLORD", unless you really waste all your time walking to Temples, Synagogues, and Churches, holding up a sign and telling everyone they are idiots on a personal level.

OH NO!! Someone save the thread!!

Summer's marriage to Piccolo

I realize I talked about the astral babies, but not the marriage. Let me try to keep a long story relatively short.

Summer and Piccolo were not married yet when she told me about all this. Apparently she had been embroiled with some love affair with Malachite from Sailor Moon, but he turned out to be really an image (which as I understand it was a plot line from Sailor Moon). So according to Summer, there were also images of Piccolo floating around, so when the REAL (quote unquote) Piccolo showed up, Summer tried to kill him because she thought he was yet another image sent by Queen Beryl. I hope I'm getting this right. I never watched Sailor Moon or Dragonball Z.

So, if I recall correctly, Piccolo totally beat her up and then nursed her back to health. He'd come to train her to fight the new enemy that was coming, I think Freeza from DBZ. I'm pretty sure this is the exact plot from DBZ except substitute Summer for Gohan and insert sex in between training sessions. Piccolo even called Summer “kid” the way he called Gohan “kid.” Sort of creepy given that Gohan was like 5.

Summer stayed amazingly faithful to Piccolo compared to other crazies like Denise with her 5 husbands. She stuck with him for the entire 6 years I was involved in her BS. Though they fought. Constantly. EVEN HER FANTASY COULDN'T STAND HER. Summer, unlike Denise, was not just a smelly weirdo. Summer was a full-on attention whore. She wanted attention all the time, and the best way to get it was to have “problems.”

Every day she had a problem, and it was my job to fix it by telling her how wonderful she was. Every. Day. She would make vague suicidy threats, like, “I'm such a bad friend I don't even deserve to live...” But she could only get away with that so much, so she was forever inventing conflict with Piccolo that I would have to solve with her for hours straight on the phone. I'm not exaggerating. It always involved my telling Piccolo how wonderful Summer was and how he was awful for leaving her and look how miserable he was making her, etc. etc. It was a soap opera. She felt validated, and I felt needed. It worked for a little while.

(I should mention that my “talking to Piccolo” was really my talking to Summer being “abducted” by Piccolo. But I'll get into that later.)

Eventually, when Piccolo would leave Summer because she was being so annoying, I started agreeing with him. So “Piccolo” (Summer) and I would spend literally hours on the phone bashing Summer, then we would try to come up with a way to help her be less of a douchebag. Then she would come back and usually be mad at us until she agreed to be less of a douchebag. Wrap your mind around THAT.

A week later we'd go through the whole song and dance again. If it was even a week later.

What an invisible wedding looks like

Summer and Piccolo sometimes resolved their arguments by “renewing their vows,” aka getting married again. So I'd have to sit through another wedding. At her house or mine, she'd get dressed up in a pretty dress and a little tiara, would hold some flowers, and walk down the aisle by herself while I watched. When she got to the front, she would hold her hands out in front of her as if she were holding Piccolo's invisible hands, then she'd say some long, flowery, drawn out speech about their relationship and their love and all that. Then she'd be quiet for about five minutes, presumably listening to Piccolo's vows, smiling, giggling, and trying very hard to be on the verge of tears and failing.

Then she'd put out her hand, then she'd give him an invisible ring and say “With this ring, I thee wed.” Then she'd look at where the “altar” was supposed to be (I think maybe Chichiri from Fushigi Yuugi officiated because he was a monk and that's like a priest right?), then she'd...yes. Yes, she would make out with the air. Then she would look at me and be all “Okay that's it we are married now!” And we'd get on with the rest of our day, whatever that could be like after that.

This happened at least three times. Maybe more like five. What easier way to put yourself at the center of attention than to be a bride FOREVER?

The first time this happened, we did it at the side of her house, and her mother saw us out the window. She started singing “Here Comes the Bride” and then walked away laughing at how cute (or sad) it was that a couple of 15-year-old girls were playing wedding. We were both SO RELIEVED that she hadn't worked out THE TRUTH!! Looking back on it, she was probably relieved that I wasn't pretending to be the “groom.”

EDIT: Took her art down. I realized that this made her pretty easy to Internet Detective.

RalAegidius posted:

I just have to say this. I really, really hate that anime drawing convention with the sweat drop. More precisely, I hate how lovely fan artists use it as a substitute for emotional expression, or just use it at random with no actual meaning or context.

Actually I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be a tear of joy, but if Piccolo were holding his ear up to my (for some reason soft and pillowy) pregnant belly, I'd be more likely to have a sweatdrop too!

Snapdragon750 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 14, 2011

Action_Bastard
Nov 26, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yes I am an otherkin but my soul is a grumpy jackass human.

I dress up as a human male and go to work and sometimes get drunk and have fantasies about sex with women.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Dude was depressed, dude started thinking about his life from the perspective of an animal. Dude realized life is good, which helped him get out of depression.

From his posts, it seems like Rorac's "otherkin" is less believing he's a dragon himself, but more of choosing an animal to consistently view his life from as well as from a "human" perspective

Which if you still wanna do the religion :can:, is pretty much the same as WWJD.

On another note: Rorac, take back what you said about insects!!!! Ants exhibit learning and individual thinking. Put them all together and they think together in a way that is comparable to the neurons in a human brain.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Rorac, what personality traits or feelings do you have that point inescapably to your having been a dragon specifically (and not something else)? How or why do those traits do not fall into the range of traits that can be held by "normal" humans?

Like, what I'm trying to get at is do you think that the range of human feeling does not encompass sometimes feeling primal, or alienated, or strong, or whatever?

I've found dragons and bears share a lot of traits. Strong, loner, protective, wise, etc. I mostly mention this because I've had a few spiritualist friends who would identify me with the bear, including an ex who insisted I was of a bear totem or something. I guess bears and wolves don't get along, or something? But I've also seen the same things said of dragons, from my more youthful days of "dragons are fuckin' :black101: as hell!"

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

Action_Bastard posted:

:downswords:

You seem really angry and hellbent on derailing the thread. Did a Catholic priest touch you when you were a boy? This thread isn't about religious discussion and there's always /r/atheism if you need an outlet for your smug internet beliefs instead of opening a can of worms in a perfectly good thread.

On a more topical note, where the hell is Saddest Rhino?

The Ghoul fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 13, 2011

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Action_Bastard posted:

Well I think it's funny :colbert:. But since I've offended you and this is the be-nice-on-the-internet forum I'll just get back to work and stop posting. I did say not to be mean right to someone's face. Sorry to offend. You baby.

My point is, stop the derail and let's get back to the good stuff.

Snapdragon750 posted:

Summer

:stare:

This is amazing levels of crazy. Are you still in touch with Summer?

I'd like to thank everyone who has posted the stories about thier crazy friends. All of you are wonderful people, and have justified my :10bux: . I'm glad to see that you came out of these toxic friendships.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Action_Bastard posted:

Yes I am an otherkin but my soul is a grumpy jackass human.

I dress up as a human male and go to work and sometimes get drunk and have fantasies about sex with women.

All bastard, no action.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Rorac posted:

Dragon. However, I feel the need to qualify that. I personally have very little sense of respect to those that claim they even used to be able to poo poo lightning and breathe skittles(old in-joke) and are like 600 feet tall. I have no problem calling bullshit on 'otherkin' that I think are indeed bullshit, or treat it like some sort of game. As a dragon I feel that I was not any better or more advanced than any normal animal beyond maybe being clever. Set what I was against a lion, I would expect the lion to win more often than not. Set what I was against a human with a gun, no chance in hell.

Yeah, seriously gently caress off with this elitist nothingness attitude. It's people like you who ruin the otherkin community and make it out to be a joke. Your logic is only reasonable until you get into it and get a sense of what the community is like, and you realize it's like any other community. Every community is going to have crazies, or people you're going to deem as "bullshit". But to even mention it with the otherkin community for the sake of putting yourself above them does nothing but try and say that you're One Of The Good Ones. Maybe we do have more crazies on average, but that's not the point you're making.

Snapdragon750
Mar 7, 2007

OldMemes posted:

This is amazing levels of crazy. Are you still in touch with Summer?

No, sadly I'm not in touch with her anymore, nor am I really in touch with anyone who still hangs out with her. I only say "sadly" because man I would really like to know what her latest brand of crazy is. The last time we spoke, she still believed in Piccolo and all the GA stuff.

She does have a livejournal that has been updated in the past week (I checked because of this thread). The LJ is friends-only so I can't read it, but her profile starts like this:

"I'm pets, collared slave and pet of Master."

And ends like this:

"Be Well,
pets
Priestess and Ordained Minister of Aphrodite
Ordained Minister and Priestess-in-Training of Haides
Traveler for Hermes
Honoring Persephone
Honoring Dionysos
Honoring Thanatos"

Not that I'm, you know, judging or anything.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Snapdragon750 posted:

Eventually, when Piccolo would leave Summer because she was being so annoying, I started agreeing with him. So “Piccolo” (Summer) and I would spend literally hours on the phone bashing Summer, then we would try to come up with a way to help her be less of a douchebag. Then she would come back and usually be mad at us until she agreed to be less of a douchebag. Wrap your mind around THAT.

This is all astounding but this bit is when I loving lost it.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

The four stages of E/N posting.

Snapdragon750 posted:

She wanted attention all the time, and the best way to get it was to have “problems.”

Every day she had a problem, and it was my job to fix it by telling her how wonderful she was. Every. Day.

I had a friend in high school who was like this, except without anime. She would make poo poo up on a daily basis, usually about guys she liked who were madly, psychotically in love with her. She would call me, hysterical, claiming that the mild-mannered guy from her chemistry class had shown up at her house with four dozen roses, threatening to kill himself if she didn't agree to marry him. Or she would tell me via AIM that the counter boy at her video-rental job had tried to kidnap her and take her to Mexico because he was just so very much in love with her. She later claimed to be engaged to her best friend's brother, even going so far as to buy a fake engagement ring and wear it to school, and even after they "broke up" (they never dated) and he moved to California she would claim that he was obsessively stalking her. She also once spent several months fabricating a singing career out of nothing, even going so far as to point out "her" recording studio as we passed by it on the train. The music career provided months of drama, as her manager and all the members of her backing band were all madly in love with her and would often threaten to derail her promising career if she didn't swear to love them back. To this day I have never actually heard her sing--apparently her voice was so amazing that the record label insisting it be kept top-secret.

I used to think she was completely insane, but now I realize that I should have been thanking Gd she at least focused her imagination on real people. On a happy note, she eventually got the help she needed to break out of that cycle, and is now a completely normal, successful behavioral therapist specializing in childhood autism.

quote:

What an invisible wedding looks like

The first time this happened, we did it at the side of her house, and her mother saw us out the window. She started singing “Here Comes the Bride” and then walked away laughing at how cute (or sad) it was that a couple of 15-year-old girls were playing wedding. We were both SO RELIEVED that she hadn't worked out THE TRUTH!! Looking back on it, she was probably relieved that I wasn't pretending to be the “groom.”

I always wonder where the hell the parents are in these stories of kids setting up fake weddings to Piccolo or communing with the spirit of Kurt Cobain in their own homes. If I saw my teenage kid playing wedding with an invisible groom in the yard I'd be looking up child development resources wondering if that poo poo's normal.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

quote:

This is a rather complicated thing to answer, for me. I said before that any answers I give are my personal experience; I feel I should expand on that first. Every single otherkin interprets their own sense of what otherkin is and what it means differently, so if I somehow inspired another otherkin to start talking, their answers and replies would probably be different from mine. While there is some common ground, the devil is in the details. The only times I've felt 'primal' was in times of very high stress or emotions, but feeling primal isn't a requirement or anything. Some people really don't 'feel' anything, while others do on a longer timescale. It's impossible to say "if you feel X, you are Y and if you feel A then you are B", because everybody has a different interpretation. Otherkin isn't a religion, although if you had to shoehorn it into something recognizable it is a bit tao like (that which is the tao that can be said is not the true tao).

I feel also that I should mention; anybody and everybody that would ridicule me; go ahead. I already threw everything I could at myself, nobody is likely throwing anything at me that I haven't heard before. Any external problems I had got replaced with self-identity problems, which I worked out. Being otherkin isn't fun, I have never treated it like a game. I have always taken it very seriously because otherkin, being inherently a self-identity issue, is my understanding of myself.

I would also like to ask a question as well, to anybody. You've read the things I said, how I've said it, heard what otherkin is to me and what it isn't. I want to know: do you think I'm really, truely insane? If yes, do you think I'm capable or incapable of functioning in the world in parity with any of you? And if yes to that, I would like to know that given that, does it ultimately matter? If I am wrong or even insane, do I or did I not at least try to approach it in a healthy manner?

Edit:

quote:

Yeah, seriously gently caress off with this elitist nothingness attitude. It's people like you who ruin the otherkin community and make it out to be a joke. Your logic is only reasonable until you get into it and get a sense of what the community is like, and you realize it's like any other community. Every community is going to have crazies, or people you're going to deem as "bullshit". But to even mention it with the otherkin community for the sake of putting yourself above them does nothing but try and say that you're One Of The Good Ones. Maybe we do have more crazies on average, but that's not the point you're making.

I'm sorry, I must've misspoke. I am honestly not trying to elevate myself above anybody. I was trying to reinforce the point you said; every community has crazies, otherkin probably does have more than average. I cannot prove that any given person's spirituality is right or wrong and if I think somebody is crazy or not, I simply keep it to myself. I probably should have mentioned that in retrospect.

edit again(drat it, I made a mental note about this):

quote:

On another note: Rorac, take back what you said about insects!!!! Ants exhibit learning and individual thinking. Put them all together and they think together in a way that is comparable to the neurons in a human brain.

I was not aware of that. I knew of a 'hive mind' for those types of insects but was not aware it was that developed. I take back my statement.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 13, 2011

Action_Bastard
Nov 26, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Ghoul posted:

This thread isn't about religious discussion and there's always /r/atheism if you need an outlet for your smug internet beliefs instead of opening a can of worms in a perfectly good thread.

No dude you need to realize that this is about religious discussion.

I have a cousin whom I love dearly. I helped her through a very tough time in her relationship where her long-time boyfriend was cheating on her. She got through it because she got religion, and got her boyfriend to get religion too. They bonded over their new belief in something that I think is a big huge funny/depressing joke. I would never tell them that, their entire life is based on it!
Now they're married and they have a child. They gave the child a good Christian Name. You know. They named it after a character in their favorite anime Book.

And they will raise the child in their religion, to believe in immortal souls, and talking burning bushes. These beliefs include the belief that Abraham did the right thing when he took his son Isaac to the mountain to kill him. He took his son out into the wilderness to murder him because a voice in his head told him to, and my cousin, whom I love and respect, thinks it was the right thing to do.

If that were an Anime, you'd be suggesting that the child should be taken away and put into protective custody.

If the child is a male, they will circumsize it - ritualistically cut a piece of its genitals off just after birth, because their favorite book characters do that.

If that were an Anime, you'd be suggesting that the child should be taken away and put into protective custody.

Crazy people believe what crazy people believe. When they turn it into a whole belief structure with internal logic, even though it's lovely logic, it becomes a religion. If you don't think it's a valid religion be my guest I don't care. You can probably guess that I don't think any religion is "valid".
Yes I know Denise is way the gently caress crazier than the vast majority of the followers of any religion (except maybe Scientology).

Catholic Nuns literally believe that they are Married to God.
Literally Married to an Invisible Man with Amazing Powers and there are all these mangas books written about how great he is and his adventures.
Tell me that doesn't ring a bell.

Don't get all mad because I think you're funny too. It is funny.

Edit:

General Ironicus posted:

All bastard, no action.
:iceburn:
Actually I enjoyed consentual coitus last night on our 7-year anniversary. :smug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Action_Bastard posted:

zombie dead hippy

REVERSE Zombie, we eat his flesh.
If you're going to be all :smug: and edgy, at least be correct.

Snapdragon750
Mar 7, 2007

Action_Bastard posted:

If the child is a male, they will circumsize it - ritualistically cut a piece of its genitals off just after birth, because their favorite book characters do that.

Hahaha please no one take this bait. Are we going to talk about breastfeeding in public next?

Hey this thread was never about religion dude. Not everything that people believe can be classified as religion. Even Summer never claimed her craziness was religion. Something tells me that any time anyone says anything is crazy you react by saying "BUT RELIGION IS JUST AS CRAZY!"

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Action_Bastard posted:

:smug: and misunderstood ideas about religon derail.

Take it outside. This thread for for anime people who did crazy things. I'd rather hear about UglyNoodles overcoming hardship, or The Saddest Rhino and his adventures with Henriette - not your rambling, derail. :frogout:

Now, Snapdragon, tell use more about Summer, please - I'm actually interested in hearing this :allears:

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 13, 2011

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Rorac posted:

I was not aware of that. I knew of a 'hive mind' for those types of insects but was not aware it was that developed. I take back my statement.

I'm gonna go all entomology goon sperg and mention that there's no such thing as a hive mind. Individual ants undergo individual actions under their own free will (as much as you can have "free will" with an animal). They will work together, but it is through communication. You don't have a trail of ants eating your sandwiches because some greater being said "YO GET THAT FOOD", it's because one ant went "Holy poo poo guys I found some food follow me!" and then a bunch of other ants go there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Like I gotta admit I got no problems with someone who's a furry and is just in for it because they like to draw like that or pretend they're a wolf in video games etc. Same with otherkin if it's all about "man being a dragon/robot/goku would be so rad".

But getting in to stuff like "the dragons are real" or "I am totally actually a wolf" is crazy-land. Like Denise talking about how she likes to pretend that she marries anime characters would be fine, but claiming its for real makes it creepy.

Action_Bastard
Nov 26, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Guesticles posted:

REVERSE Zombie, we eat his flesh.
If you're going to be all :smug: and edgy, at least be correct.

Sorry I was just using a phrase I'd heard before and didn't really think about it.

I'm serious though and if you haters think I'm wrong and a jerk and bitter and smug and poo poo, you can just go start a thread about how much you hate George Carlin and Louis Black and Richard Dawkins (ok he's a oval office) and Christopher Hitchens.
And to a lesser extent Carl Sagan and Neil Degrasse Tyson, who are two of the best human beings ever.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Action_Bastard posted:

:iceburn:
Actually I enjoyed consentual coitus last night on our 7-year anniversary. :smug:

Yeah I was totally talking about your dick and not the fact you're the kind of person to use the term 'consentual coitus'.

Action_Bastard
Nov 26, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
^^^^^ If I say consensual will it make you hard/wet? Don't answer me.

GenericOverusedName posted:

I'm gonna go all entomology goon sperg and mention that there's no such thing as a hive mind. Individual ants undergo individual actions under their own free will (as much as you can have "free will" with an animal). They will work together, but it is through communication. You don't have a trail of ants eating your sandwiches because some greater being said "YO GET THAT FOOD", it's because one ant went "Holy poo poo guys I found some food follow me!" and then a bunch of other ants go there.

Leafcutter ants are the best animals ever.
If I were a furry I'd live on a commune of leafcutter ant furries. We'd farm and get high on fungus every day and I guess we'd all be women.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Rorac posted:

I would also like to ask a question as well, to anybody. You've read the things I said, how I've said it, heard what otherkin is to me and what it isn't. I want to know: do you think I'm really, truely insane? If yes, do you think I'm capable or incapable of functioning in the world in parity with any of you? And if yes to that, I would like to know that given that, does it ultimately matter? If I am wrong or even insane, do I or did I not at least try to approach it in a healthy manner?

I'm not a psychologist (yet), but no you do not appear to be what would be considered mentally ill. Do you have problems? Yes. But, as I've mentioned in the past, it is only considered a proper mental illness when it negatively impacts your life. However, I once had a professor point out that by that definition you could be a paranoid schizophrenic and be considered "healthy" if you were able to twist your condition to your daily benefit. I suppose that goes somewhat in line with sociopaths tending to be more successful in business, due to a lack of empathy with others.

So, in short, you be crazy but not insane.

Edit: VVVVVVVVVV This is the right thing to do.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 13, 2011

Hex Vision
Jun 6, 2010

Game over, boys.
If anyone ever asks me "what's otherkin," I'm going to tell them it's like a dragon in space.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

Right, I didn't know if there was a proper term for the general functioning system of hive insects so I just called it what I did. I don't really understand how those systems work beyond ants laying down chemical/scent trails that other ants follow, I'm not a biologist or anything.

Action_Bastard
Nov 26, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
^^^
The best part is that if you're an Ant Otherkin, you can call yourself a Hymenanimus.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
A mental condition is not a disorder or illness until it affects your life in a negative way somehow. It sounds like your feelings of being an otherkin doesn't affect your life, outside of stupid internet arguments, but everyone here has those.

If you feel like your having a dragon soul means you have difficulty interacting with people, with empathy, or something like that, then it is affecting your life. You seem pretty nonchalant about it, though. I may be wrong, and I'm probably not describing things well.

People who declare themselves to be something that they're obviously not (see this entire thread) are almost always clearly mentally ill in some way, which will of course make us all think that anybody that thinks this way is ill. May be, may not. I'm not a psychologist.

E: \/\/ Insects and swarm theory are both amazing, but this isn't the thread for that. Do look it up if you're interested, though.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 13, 2011

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
^^^^^Rorac, if you're interested in that stuff, check out Swarm Theory. Its about using over arching algorithms to control vast numbers of autonomous/semi-autonomous agents and have them accomplish goals.

Action_Bastard posted:

Sorry I was just using a phrase I'd heard before and didn't really think about it.

This sort of describes all of your posts thus far, honestly. :haw:

I think other than the previous suicidal tendencies, the only symptoms of insanity Rorac is exhibiting is admitting to being an otherkin in a thread where we're disparaging internet crazies, and those two groups have a lot of overlap.

Now, Snapdragon give us more Summer so this derail can end!
e: rephrased for clarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Install Gentoo posted:

Like I gotta admit I got no problems with someone who's a furry and is just in for it because they like to draw like that or pretend they're a wolf in video games etc. Same with otherkin if it's all about "man being a dragon/robot/goku would be so rad".

But getting in to stuff like "the dragons are real" or "I am totally actually a wolf" is crazy-land. Like Denise talking about how she likes to pretend that she marries anime characters would be fine, but claiming its for real makes it creepy.
Swing and a miss, chief. If you don't understand something about someone, that doesn't mean they're insane. I don't expect people to always understand it, but I don't disrespect them for it either.

• Locked thread