Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

they were paying eight dollars an hour
I wonder how long someone would have to work to pay off a digital arts degree at that rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

I wonder how long someone would have to work to pay off a digital arts degree at that rate.

It's cute that you think it's possible to pay off a digital arts degree doing digital art.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Using google and the art institute of San Francisco as an example; Working at $8/hr (lets consider that after tax) it would take you 12,500 hours. Assuming 8hr/day 40hr/wk that's 1562 days, or 312 weeks, or 6.25 years. That's just your tuition. The fastest you can complete the program is 3 years; assuming a low rent of $400/mo you are looking at another 1800 hr of work to pay off your rent, which is a full year of working.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

TheLastManStanding posted:

Using google and the art institute of San Francisco as an example; Working at $8/hr (lets consider that after tax) it would take you 12,500 hours. Assuming 8hr/day 40hr/wk that's 1562 days, or 312 weeks, or 6.25 years. That's just your tuition. The fastest you can complete the program is 3 years; assuming a low rent of $400/mo you are looking at another 1800 hr of work to pay off your rent, which is a full year of working.

Not to mention the interest on student loans, cost of transportation, and general cost of living.

One would be better off at starbucks. Maybe even department store family portraits.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
How not to request permission for a photo, personal information removed in case he takes it down later:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geeknerd99/6478119825/in/photostream
Some reasonable requests from NY Post, NPR.. then this

quote:

Sup brosef, its your man HotNSweaty222 aka DJ Funktacular Flex from Hot 97.1, America's #1 Radio Station for Hip-Hop And R&B. I'd be totes stoked if you could grant me permission to use dem pics on my blog and at Hot97.com. Hit me up on my Cell at 973-355-**** or kick me an email at Nothinbuttylenol*@*.com.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

PREYING MANTITS posted:

HotNSweaty222

Sounds like a profile on Adult Friend Finder.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Terry Richardson winds me up.
What's the appeal?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
He's absurd and I think he is pretty hilarious.

I'm not saying we'd be friends if we knew each other, as I had the initial reaction to him that you appear to have. He definitely grew on me though, and I now have one of his books on my coffee table now because it's so fun to show people.

Photography wise, he is very good at getting his subjects to unwind and let their personality show through in the photographs. It's a very different aesthetic than your standard beauty photos and you have to realize that he is not trying to take a photo that looks good by those measures.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

A5H posted:

Terry Richardson winds me up.
What's the appeal?

I wrote this up in my blog - http://blog.smread.com/2011/09/terry-richardson.html

basically TL;DR his style has been so copied that if you're just coming to him now he doesn't seem that original. His personal work and editorial work is super bare bones and I think a little lazy at this point. If you look at some of his earlier stuff he's got an awesome sense of humour to his work. He recently did a Margaret Thatcher inspired editorial which was awesome. He's reached a point in his career where he can basically get any model he wants and he's sort of taking the piss with it a bit which is hilarious.

Imagine how many photographers are desperate to shoot Giselle Bundchen or Lindsay Wixon? And what does Terry do when he gets them - shoots Giselle with a Nintendo 3DS camera and shoots Wixon chowing down on a big plate of spaghetti. He's sort of inverting the expectations of the peak of the fashion world. Instead of huge productions he's just wondering around with a bare bulb flash and having fun.

If you want to criticise his technical skill, remember that he's shot campaigns for H&M, Aldo, Mango, and I think one other big high street retailer. I had a friend who is incredibly anti-Terry Richardson and he just was speechless when he found out that Terry shot H&M's campaign which is incredibly crisp and commercial. (I personally thought it was a bit of a waste as you could hire almost any top level photographer for similar results, Aldo is a good blend of his style and commercial level work)

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

The simplicity of his style isn't necessarily indicative of the quality of his photographs. Lighting setups and technical ideas only lend so much to appeal, a lot of it comes down to personality, especially in portrait photography. You could easily shoot black and white portraits outdoors against a white background like Richard Avedon has, but that doesn't mean the quality of your work will be on the level of something like "In the American West". There's a lot more factors at play that aren't always immediately evident.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I was just looking through some old emails, and found this response I got when inquiring about a weird looking Tamron on craiglist :

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
For those of us in Mountain and Pacific time zones in the US, we'll have a good look at a Blood Moon tomorrow. Lunar Eclipse at about 6:05am PST.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

onezero posted:

For those of us in Mountain and Pacific time zones in the US, we'll have a good look at a Blood Moon tomorrow. Lunar Eclipse at about 6:05am PST.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm going to be getting up at 4am to try and get a shot of this.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S3NFW2c7hA

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's like a stereotype that was jolted to life in some unmentionable experiment on a dark and stormy night in some stone tower.

In Normal, Illinois.

Please tell me this is some elaborate prank.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

ExecuDork posted:

It's like a stereotype that was jolted to life in some unmentionable experiment on a dark and stormy night in some stone tower.

In Normal, Illinois.

Please tell me this is some elaborate prank.

I watched all 5 episodes. She gets more and more outrageous as they go on. Pretty sure she's just mocking photo-moms. They are quite entertaining.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I can't watch that because I'm pretty sure I know where it's going...

Edit: watched more and yeah, she's just trolling...

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 11, 2011

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Fraud spotted, used "exposed" as a verb.

Seriously though, like 95% of that is depressingly accurate and not really a spoof at all. :sigh:

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

BobTheCow posted:

Fraud spotted, used "exposed" as a verb.
But "exposed" is a verb :confused:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm 98% certain it's a parody, leaving that 2% there just in case.

She does an amazing job of portraying someone incredibly annoying.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Mwac attack owns

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

David Pratt posted:

How did she use it?

I mean, the most common use of that form of expose is as an adjective: "This is properly exposed".

"I exposed that" is appropriate I guess...

tuyop fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 11, 2011

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

David Pratt posted:

Exactly. She's certainly a troll, she let it slip that she actually knows what she's talking about, no clueless photomom would say something like "I exposed that right".

She was too consistent hitting the points - every sentence was carefully constructed to irritate a serious photographer, and confirm every stereotype about stay-at-home moms in middle America ("I talked it over with my husband, and now I'm going to be a professional photographer!" "A mother of two precious, precious children" etc.). Even her name is perfect.

I feel better now, knowing she's trolling.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tuyop posted:

How did she use it?

I mean, the most common use of that form of expose is as an adjective: "This is properly exposed".

"I exposed that" is appropriate I guess...

She said "It will expose how it sees fit." Her lip smacking, dragging end sounds out, and whiny voice almost killed me. Her name is also Missy :(

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Sevn posted:

She said "It will expose how it sees fit." Her lip smacking, dragging end sounds out, and whiny voice almost killed me. Her name is also Missy :(

Just watched it, MWAC? As in, Mom With A Camera? Yeah so fake.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Four Banger posted:

I had the most :psyduck: moment the other talking to a co-worker as she's a model outside of work, she does fantasy stuff, has been a guest at comicon and tons of other ones (if you're into that stuff), lots of experience, she's been doing it for over 10 years now. And we were just talking about contracts/model release. She told me that she makes all photographers sign a contract she's had written up, that basically says she owns all rights to the images. And everyone she's worked with has signed it.

It just blew my mind. How could anyone agree to that? "Why yes, I would love to pay you for your time to model, and I wish to gain nothing from it, why not?"

If you have PM or don't mind sharing her name with the class, let me know who it is. Chances are, I know and have worked with her, being the sort of neckbeard that works those events. I'd be happy to let you know if she's full of poo poo.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

It probably belongs in the terrible photography thread, but this got a good chuckle out of me: Pro internet photographers critique actual pro photographers

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

squidflakes posted:

If you have PM or don't mind sharing her name with the class, let me know who it is. Chances are, I know and have worked with her, being the sort of neckbeard that works those events. I'd be happy to let you know if she's full of poo poo.

I don't have PMs unfortunately. but she's on this list

http://ca.askmen.com/top_10/celebrity/top-10-fantasy-art-models_2.html
and is an even number, between 3 and 1

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Is there a person under that painting?

[edit] I'm going to make a wizard metal album about space dragons in the futurepast. It will be pretty steampunk, and she can be on the cover holding a big sword that shoots laser bullets.

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 12, 2011

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Who shot this:

I've been using it as my background for a long time, and my girlfriend's coworker saw it and claimed he took it! Just doing a "wow, small world" check. I got it off this forum a while back.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

dunkman posted:

Who shot this:

I've been using it as my background for a long time, and my girlfriend's coworker saw it and claimed he took it! Just doing a "wow, small world" check. I got it off this forum a while back.

There was 118 results for it using TinEye, Google's image search had quite a few too, but the largest version was from here which appears to be the original:
http://kionee.deviantart.com/art/Rainy-Day-113815706

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

dunkman posted:

Who shot this:

Every owner of a dslr ever?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Reichstag posted:

Every owner of a dslr ever?
:lol:
Here's one I took on my phone:

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

PREYING MANTITS posted:

There was 118 results for it using TinEye, Google's image search had quite a few too, but the largest version was from here which appears to be the original:
http://kionee.deviantart.com/art/Rainy-Day-113815706

He says he put it up on 4chan a while ago, and thinks that guy might have stolen it.

I'm gonna guess it's a "oh poo poo, I claimed I took it but got busted on it, backtrack! backtrack!"

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
Once you see the sadface in the yellow bokeh that image will be really annoying :(

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Four Banger posted:

I don't have PMs unfortunately. but she's on this list

http://ca.askmen.com/top_10/celebrity/top-10-fantasy-art-models_2.html
and is an even number, between 3 and 1
Ugh, yeah, that girl.

A friend of mine who does the circuit in Canada from time to time wanted to do a couple of shots of her in some sort of Boris Vallejo looking metal bikini thing she was wearing. She agreed and he snapped maybe three picture of her doing some bog standard poses in front of a water feature. She found him later and said he needed to sign some release and promise to send the un-retouched photos to her and get permission in writing before he posted them anywhere.

Instead of deal with that non-sense, he deleted the photos.

Cool story I guess.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Who shot this:

No one, it's a painting (series)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Would have fooled me any day of the week at that size :golfclap:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
That is a pretty crazy series, I would like to see some of them in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah that owns.