Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT ALEISTER CROWLEY AND AHURA MAZDA

Efresh posted:

So neither you nor slavedaela use oil on the skin? Just salt and keep it dry?

As I said before it goes in the oven, I do similar to what you did. The amount may be different though. It's a very, very light layer of oil just to help it "fry" while cooking. I'll often use a paper towel just to control the layer and ensure it's still all covered. Though I have been known to 'cheat' and use my oil mister as well. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Efresh
Oct 21, 2007
Sorry i missed that when I read it. Thanks a bunch to both of you, I'm cooking a rolled loin again for Christmas dinner so I'll see how I go.

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT ALEISTER CROWLEY AND AHURA MAZDA
Okay here is a fun one. My fiance grew up on some pretty atrocious foods. Spaghetti sauce out of a packet, random dishes mixed with cream soups and called a casserole, crazy loaves of meat like products. And never seasoning, not even dry in a plastic shaker bottle. Even I get a bit queasy eating at his moms on occasion because of the weird crap she comes up with. (Can of mushroom soup, can of cheddar cheese soup, rice and chicken in a dish mixed together and baked. :barf:) I've learned that if I want him to try something new I have to be very careful what I call it. Words like "loaf" and "casserole" are scary for him. It's become a lot easier even if I slip because he knows I've never made him bad food at this point, so he's never outright refused.

I wanted to make a potato gratin, he's never heard it pronounced correctly and thought it sounded really tasty. So asked what it is, and I described it... the look on his face. I didn't ask how his mom and/or grandma made it, I'm scared to know. But this time, he said absolutely not. :(

However, I think gratins are fantabulous and am wondering how to ease him into it. I was thinking maybe a vegetable gratin, but he's never been a fan of baked tomato and I'm worried just zucchini and squash would look too similar to potato. Anyone have any ideas?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

slavedaeva posted:

gratin

Well the most simple thought that comes to mind is to just cut slices out of the casserole dish so the gratin is "free-standing" and not this gooey mess.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

slavedaeva posted:

(Can of mushroom soup, can of cheddar cheese soup, rice and chicken in a dish mixed together and baked. :barf:)

I remember having this relatively often when I was a child. It was one of my favorite dishes, which should tell you the quality of food we were eating.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

slavedaeva posted:

I wanted to make a potato gratin, he's never heard it pronounced correctly and thought it sounded really tasty. So asked what it is, and I described it... the look on his face. I didn't ask how his mom and/or grandma made it, I'm scared to know. But this time, he said absolutely not. :(

However, I think gratins are fantabulous and am wondering how to ease him into it. I was thinking maybe a vegetable gratin, but he's never been a fan of baked tomato and I'm worried just zucchini and squash would look too similar to potato. Anyone have any ideas?

You're going to have to go the Calvin route, I guess.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Has anyone ever 'toasted' flour in a pan before using it to make cookies or cakes ro bread? just wondering what it would do the flavor or if it would ruin/enhance the properties of the flour?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Has anyone ever 'toasted' flour in a pan before using it to make cookies or cakes ro bread? just wondering what it would do the flavor or if it would ruin/enhance the properties of the flour?
The darker a roux gets, the less it thickens. I'd guess the same holds true with toasting flour before baking - the cookies wouldn't firm up as quickly, so they'd probably spread out more in the oven. They might be softer/moister than usual as well. As far as flavor is concerned, there might be some difference. Most of my cookies are at least slightly browned when they come out of the oven, though, which has much the same effect.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

slavedaeva posted:

Ask him what exactly the one he's eaten involved. There is probably some terrible step involved that is what disgusts him so much. Point out this terrible step won't be involved. Make him eat it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I have points on a rewards program that are going to expire, and just inside my point range is this knife set: http://www.amazon.com/Ginsu-Stainless-Steel-Knives-5-Piece/dp/B0017KI4J6/ref=sr_1_24?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1323802756&sr=1-24

I don't have any decent knives to call my own, everything is hand me down garage sale poor post-college-unemployment level. So, are those knives potentially worth it?

For my point level, if it makes a difference, the only other things I have an interest in getting are this cutting board: http://www.amazon.com/EKCO-Inch-Bamboo-Cutting-Board/dp/B002SVWUNO (because my current cutting boards are those thin plastic grocery store things that aren't much more than protectors for cutting on the countertop) or a $25 gift card to various places (amazon, gamestop, barnes and noble, etc)

P.S. to the folks who gave me soup info ~350 posts back, thank you. I'm going to be attempting a soup experiment for some meal in the next month and I plan to report back how it went. First time cooking things is fun!

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Does anyone have a recommendation on a cornish pasty recipe? I've tried several off the internets, and they're all tasteless. All of the recipes have the raw veggies and meat put inside half-moon pastry with a bit of salt and pepper, but they do not come out with the tender meat and a bit of thick sauce that I am looking for. I am beginning to wonder if I need to make a stew-ish meat and potato mix, and then put it in a pastry?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Nighthand posted:

I have points on a rewards program that are going to expire, and just inside my point range is this knife set: http://www.amazon.com/Ginsu-Stainless-Steel-Knives-5-Piece/dp/B0017KI4J6/ref=sr_1_24?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1323802756&sr=1-24

I don't have any decent knives to call my own, everything is hand me down garage sale poor post-college-unemployment level. So, are those knives potentially worth it?
Short answer: no. The biggest knife in that set is a 6" chef's knife, which is smaller than you really want unless you're Percy Foster or something. And they're Ginsu knives.

If you want inexpensive but not cheap knives, the standard recommendation is for the Victorinox/Forschner chef's knives. The 8" chef's knife will run you around US$25, which is more than that set, but it's actually a hell of a lot of knife for the money, and isn't toy-sized. Throw in a paring knife of the same brand for around US$8 and that's around twice the asking price of the Ginsus, but you'll have all the knives you actually need from that set, and the quality will be better.

Also: holy poo poo, they're still selling Ginsu knives? I thought they went out with the pocket fisherman.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

squigadoo posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on a cornish pasty recipe? I've tried several off the internets, and they're all tasteless. All of the recipes have the raw veggies and meat put inside half-moon pastry with a bit of salt and pepper, but they do not come out with the tender meat and a bit of thick sauce that I am looking for. I am beginning to wonder if I need to make a stew-ish meat and potato mix, and then put it in a pastry?

I can't answer the sauce question because I myself prefer a drier pasty, but for flavor I add tons of garlic, parsley and then change up the rest of the spices based on what I'm feeling. Sometimes I'll toss in some paprika for a sweeter pasty, other times I'll add oregano for a more savory flavor. The great thing about pasties is that you can throw in whatever you want for flavor and it'll turn out fine.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

SubG posted:

Short answer: no. The biggest knife in that set is a 6" chef's knife, which is smaller than you really want unless you're Percy Foster or something. And they're Ginsu knives.

If you want inexpensive but not cheap knives, the standard recommendation is for the Victorinox/Forschner chef's knives. The 8" chef's knife will run you around US$25, which is more than that set, but it's actually a hell of a lot of knife for the money, and isn't toy-sized. Throw in a paring knife of the same brand for around US$8 and that's around twice the asking price of the Ginsus, but you'll have all the knives you actually need from that set, and the quality will be better.

Also: holy poo poo, they're still selling Ginsu knives? I thought they went out with the pocket fisherman.

That's pretty much exactly the answer I expected, thanks!

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe

LittleBob posted:

So I was going to make one of these tomorrow, since I have ingredients sitting around. I don't have half and half, but I have a fattier cream - would using that have any discernible effect other than just making for a richer pie?

I ask the stupidest questions :downs:

Just going to quote myself since I'm a useless goon who needs internet help.

Also going to ask, people who know about the science of cooking and all: will roasting potatoes in a tray as opposed to a pan have any discernible effect, with the difference in airflow? I am terrified of making potatoes without the appropriate crispiness and ruining Christmas.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

LittleBob posted:

Just going to quote myself since I'm a useless goon who needs internet help.

Also going to ask, people who know about the science of cooking and all: will roasting potatoes in a tray as opposed to a pan have any discernible effect, with the difference in airflow? I am terrified of making potatoes without the appropriate crispiness and ruining Christmas.

Some but not major. The biggest thing is to give them enough heat and space so they can actually get brown.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Nighthand posted:

For my point level, if it makes a difference, the only other things I have an interest in getting are this cutting board: http://www.amazon.com/EKCO-Inch-Bamboo-Cutting-Board/dp/B002SVWUNO (because my current cutting boards are those thin plastic grocery store things that aren't much more than protectors for cutting on the countertop) or a $25 gift card to various places (amazon, gamestop, barnes and noble, etc)

P.S. to the folks who gave me soup info ~350 posts back, thank you. I'm going to be attempting a soup experiment for some meal in the next month and I plan to report back how it went. First time cooking things is fun!

I have that exact set that my husband got me with points from a rewards program with his former job (you don't work for AT&T do you?) and SubG is right. They suck, the chef's knife is tiny (and serrated wtf), they feel cheap, they are cheap. I bought the Victorinox SubG mentioned a year or two ago and haven't looked back. Absolutely love it. Get the Amazon gift card and get the Victorinox!

http://amzn.com/B000638D32

Randomity fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 13, 2011

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My brother-in-law gave me two venison tenderloins today from his hunt a few weeks ago.

Having never cooked venison before, anything I need to do special? Things to look out for? He mentioned some people marinade it in a vinegar to get rid of the gaminess, but that sounded a bit off to me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Randomity posted:

I have that exact set that my husband got me with points from a rewards program with his former job (you don't work for AT&T do you?) and SubG is right. They suck, the chef's knife is tiny (and serrated wtf), they feel cheap, they are cheap. I bought the Victorinox SubG mentioned a year or two ago and haven't looked back. Absolutely love it. Get the Amazon gift card and get the Victorinox!

Alternatively, for $25 you can get http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Komachi-Chefs-Knife-Purple/dp/B0029XHQXK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323816829&sr=8-1 and http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Komachi-Hollow-Ground-Santoku-Knife/dp/B0029XDW6U/ref=pd_bxgy_k_text_b which are great entry-level knives for super cheap.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

My roommate just picked up the Komachi 2 8" chef's knife for $5 at TJMaxx. I also grabbed a Kitchenaid immersion blender for $40, which even after tax was cheaper than anywhere online

I've gotten to really like places like TJMaxx and Tuesday Morning and stuff, since they'll often get, like, Le Creuset overstock and sell it for 40% of the retail price.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

vanessa posted:

I can't answer the sauce question because I myself prefer a drier pasty, but for flavor I add tons of garlic, parsley and then change up the rest of the spices based on what I'm feeling. Sometimes I'll toss in some paprika for a sweeter pasty, other times I'll add oregano for a more savory flavor. The great thing about pasties is that you can throw in whatever you want for flavor and it'll turn out fine.

alright then! Do you pre-cook the filling?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I like turtles posted:

I've gotten to really like places like TJMaxx and Tuesday Morning and stuff, since they'll often get, like, Le Creuset overstock and sell it for 40% of the retail price.

I dunno why, but all the discount stores have been filling up with lots of Le Creuset lately

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Does anyone know anywhere in the UK that sells ready-made demi glace? I'm doing my nut trying to find it, but the only one I've found is made by Knorrs and doesn't fill me with confidence. Surely to god there must be somewhere.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe

Pipski posted:

Does anyone know anywhere in the UK that sells ready-made demi glace? I'm doing my nut trying to find it, but the only one I've found is made by Knorrs and doesn't fill me with confidence. Surely to god there must be somewhere.

This might not be that helpful of an answer, but I know the wholesale food place near our home in England has it, although it is in huge quantities. They're online and they do delivery, but you'll have to buy at least a litre.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

LittleBob posted:

This might not be that helpful of an answer, but I know the wholesale food place near our home in England has it, although it is in huge quantities. They're online and they do delivery, but you'll have to buy at least a litre.

You're a star! :-) I don't care if I have to buy it in gallons as long as I have some by Christmas! I think I might've actually found somewhere in London as well, but I think they mainly wholesale to restaurants. I'll ring them tomorrow and threaten them a bit, but if that doesn't work I will fall back on yours. Cheers!

psychic onion
Jul 2, 2005
salt dwarf enemy no. 1
Request for some recipe help: I tried frying a bunch of pork shoulder in lard with the goal of carnitas in mind. What I got could best be described as 'pork chop' in texture, with none of the stringy tenderness I love. Is it possible that I simply cooked the meat at too high a temperature for too long?

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

psychic onion posted:

Request for some recipe help: I tried frying a bunch of pork shoulder in lard with the goal of carnitas in mind. What I got could best be described as 'pork chop' in texture, with none of the stringy tenderness I love. Is it possible that I simply cooked the meat at too high a temperature for too long?

Just follow this: http://goonswithspoons.com/Carnitas

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Randomity posted:

No, not AT&T, it's a rewards program through my bank. It's probably the same list of rewards though.

Thanks for the recommendations. I like the sale on that Victorinox knife too.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)

squigadoo posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on a cornish pasty recipe?

I don't make pastys, but I do make a pot pie that uses an oil crust, stewed beef and veggies and flour mixed in and cooked to make the gravy. If I tried to bake the meat and veggies in the crust the crust would charcoal before it cooked through. Granted, I use a deeper pie pan than the ones you use to make a dessert pie. I think that empanadas' (similar but made with casava flour) fillings are pre-cooked too.

In short, "I don't know. This is something else completely that you didn't ask about."

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

psychic onion posted:

You missed the slow cooking part of it. Either braised or put into a smoker or oven at 225-250 for hours and hours. That gives sufficient time for all of the connective tissue to melt, which pan prep just doesn't do.

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011
I have got this duck...I have never cooked duck...

I am looking for a duck recipe with one side dish that will nicely compliment said duck. I am open to suggestion for duck recipes and/or most sexual acts with/without a duck.

I have about 3 hours cooking time with a kitchen with real lovely utensils. I fancy myself a pretty decent cook. Any suggestions?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Question for other euros, when you buy döner kebab, do you know if it's made from ground beef or some other meat? Just something I am wondering about after a french coworker told me finnish kebab is poo poo, and that it's completely unlike anywhere else.

Kebab here is ground beef, I did some googling and beef and pork seem to be common replacements for lamb but I am not sure it's ground and I do have to say finns seem to love their ground meat for some reason.

I've had kebab in sweden and italy but can't remember them being noticeably different from what we get here.

I know you can get some real poo poo kebab here in Finland though, you never see the rotating meat thing because the cooking area is closed off, and there probably isn't one anyway. The microwave ping is a good indicator your meal is not going be a good one.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I'm in the Netherkands and I just had a döner kebab for lunch. It was made of scraps of veal, not ground up at all, which seems to be the norm for this country.
At least, I think it was veal ("Kalfsvlees" in Dutch).

I do go to quite a good Turkish place though, they make their own Lahmacun (no idea how to spell that), so I consider it a better class of greasepit than the usual.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Here in Denmark, it's often a mix of beef and lam, with most places also having chicken. It's always on the big vertical rotating spits. Never seen it with ground meat, or reheated in a microwave.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Quick question, I just got a lot of Omaha Steaks as a christmas present from my work. I really love a nice, juicy steak but unfortunately my BBQ is put away for the winter. I was wondering if anyone had any slow-cooker or crock pot recipes for filet mignon or New York strips, preferably with bacon. I've looked around online but to no avail. Any ideas?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I'd cook them in cast iron on the stove or broil them in the oven if I were you, neither of those cuts really benefits from low/slow cooking.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Quick question, I just got a lot of Omaha Steaks as a christmas present from my work. I really love a nice, juicy steak but unfortunately my BBQ is put away for the winter. I was wondering if anyone had any slow-cooker or crock pot recipes for filet mignon or New York strips, preferably with bacon. I've looked around online but to no avail. Any ideas?

Please stop looking for that.

A pan-cooked steak is as good as a fire-grilled steak. Some would argue it's better. I love them both exactly equally.

Pat it dry.
rub it with some salt, pepper, maybe a couple herbs like oregano on it if you have them, drizzle some olive oil on it and let it get to room temperature.
Get a pan as hot as you possibly can.
Put a blob or two of butter in the pan.
Put the filet in the pan.
When a side is brown and crispy (you'll see the brown crust creeping up the sides) turn it over and do the same to the other side. If they are really think, then do the sides too, starting with any bug areas of fat first.
Take it out and put it on a plate and then let it sit there while you make some kind of sides or a topping:

***here, you could cook some bacon in the pan you are going to use and when it's done, remove the bacon and put it aside when it's done and get some of the grease out of the pan and continue with the steak cooking.
When that steak is done and resting (please let it rest), turn the heat way down and throw some slivers of onion in the pan and cook them. Splash some alcohol in the pan and scrape up all the crap from the bottom.

You could then top your steaks with this "gravy" from the pan, the onions, the crumbled up bacon, and a little bit of bleu cheese.

vvvvvvvvv

ManifunkDestiny posted:

pink in the middle (ugh)
OK,I guess you're just trolling. Never mind.

But if you're not, and you really want to turn nice steaks into stew meat then go ahead and:
- fry some onions
- cover the bottom of the cooker with them
- sear all sides of the meat dormerly known as steak in butter
- dump it in that slow cooker
- cover it in salt, worcestershire, and wine
- cook on high for 6 hours
- voi loving la

Appl posted:

Oh I think what you are looking for is a milksteak. Just put the steak in the crock pot (don't sear, it stops milk absorption), pour milk on top so it is just covered, and put the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. The cow meat is infused with the cow liquid, and the steak will be nice and grey and moist! You can reduce the cooking milk afterwards to serve the steaks with a nice au jus, but don't reduce it too hot or the milk will scald and give off a burnt flavour.

gently caress you. A proper Milksteak is prepared Boiled-over Hard, accompanied by Jelly Beans (raw).

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 14, 2011

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
The thing is cooking them in the pan either results in them being pink in the middle (ugh) or too dry. I figured slow cooker was the best way for them to be done and moist

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

ManifunkDestiny posted:

The thing is cooking them in the pan either results in them being pink in the middle (ugh) or too dry. I figured slow cooker was the best way for them to be done and moist

Oh I think what you are looking for is a milksteak. Just put the steak in the crock pot (don't sear, it stops milk absorption), pour milk on top so it is just covered, and put the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. The cow meat is infused with the cow liquid, and the steak will be nice and grey and moist! You can reduce the cooking milk afterwards to serve the steaks with a nice au jus, but don't reduce it too hot or the milk will scald and give off a burnt flavour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Mach420 posted:

You missed the slow cooking part of it. Either braised or put into a smoker or oven at 225-250 for hours and hours. That gives sufficient time for all of the connective tissue to melt, which pan prep just doesn't do.

The all lard method also works:melt enough lard in a pot to completely cover your pork shoulder, then cook at a low temperature for a couple of hours. Turn the heat up at the end to crisp. This recipe is good: http://thepauperedchef.com/2009/01/authentic-canitas-and-three-pounds-of-lard.html