Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009
Where I live in Washington going out to the country is a bit like Mad Max. We have meth addicted bikers, weird militias, crazy religious cults, drug labs, smugglers, and scavengers.

My father went out to a home he was thinking of buying about thirty miles out of town and goes inside to look around. He comes out five minutes later and all these people are looking inside his car, tugging on the handles and staring at the wheels. None of them spoke to him, they just saw him and walked away.

tworavens fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrglynis
Mar 10, 2009

Circus Pies! posted:

Well gently caress, I've been robbed.

drat, that sucks man. I had a toolbox stolen out of my car in my driveway earlier this year. Mostly just hand tools for working on my car, but still about $400 worth. Obviously nothing like the hit you took.

I hate to tell you, but unless you've got your tools marked in some way(IE: initials engraved on them), there's not too much you can do. Even if you find a tool at a pawn shop, there's no way to prove its yours. I filed a police report on mine, but thats what the cop told me.

One more thing. If your a homeowner, check your homeowners insurance policy. The theft should be covered. I didnt claim mine since my ded. is $500, and I didn't lose that much in tools. But its worth looking into in your case.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Circus Pies! posted:

I went out to my garage today for the first time since last weekend to find the place completely turned upside down. I stood there for a few minuets completely dumbfounded, like my brain would not accept what I was seeing. This really sucks. So far I've been able to determine that they got:

RYOBI bench top drill press
RYOBI bench top band saw
RYOBI trim router
RIDGID reciprocating saw
RIDGID Random orbit sander
CRAFTSMAN Router attached to a 18’ X 18” square of 1/2” thick MDF board
DEWALT 12v cordless drill
DEWALT 12v cordless impact driver
DEWALT 18v cordless circular saw
DEWALT tool bag full of bits, sockets and other small tools
Black tool bag(s) full of bits, sockets and other small tools

Who says living in the country is safe? People who are loving wrong, that's who!

If you live around Nashville, TN and hear about someone selling this kind of stuff call the police.

Sounds like the perfect time to upgrade! (Sorry, it still sucks).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I had about $5k in tools walk away before and we live in the country. I sold some thing on Craigslist earlier in the day and did not think twice about the guy looking around/asking about other stuff I had / if it was for sale. I woke up the next morning to tires squealing. Someone has broke in through the back of our shop and grabbed my Snap-On top cabinet. Thankfully something scared them off and they missed all the hand tools. I now have video cameras and a gate (well, soon again, right now its under construction. All the locks were fixed/changed after this happened.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Tool recommendation: Chainsaw

I did a ton of research last fall after destroying out 15yr old Stihl 025 chainsaw. We have 4.x~ acres covered in Beech, Walnut, Maple and are regularly doing cleanup work. Our house is also heated by a wood stove, so at least once a year I cut 3-5 cords of wood. I was looking for two saws. A main felling saw and a smaller limbing saw. One of my biggest complaints about the 025 was its short 16" chain. It was great for 12" or smaller, but lacked the power for anything larger. I had initially decided I was going to move away from Stihl to the now Makita owned Dolmar or Husqvarna. I have a great passion for German tools and Dolmar has always received rave reviews from arborists I know. I have also heard great things about the Husky Farm series saws from fellow friends who cut 20+ cords of firewood. Sadly I was on a tight budget of $500 for both saws and decided to see what I could come up with on Craigslist. After reading about some of the higher end Stihl saws, I decided to find a MS260 Pro or Husky 455 Rancher for the feller and a smaller 14" Makita/Dolmar for the limbing saw.

I quickly found that in my area, Dolmars are rare and expensive. Everyone wants the same price as nearly new for a 2yr old saw. And sadly my luck was not any better for Husqvarna's as people wanted $300 for a never serviced, 4yr old saw. Stihls however seem to be in plentiful supply and cheap! I gave up looking and checked out the local farm stores/ dealers. Buying new would at least give me a warranty, but at nearly $700 for two saws, I contently kept looking on Craigslist. One day I found the saw above. Its a 2009 Stihl MS260. A fellow was on the same hunt as I was for the perfect set of saws to maintain his property and won a Dolmar on ebay, leaving this one unused with two tanks of fuel through it. I happily paid him $275 for it. I have since ran 20+ tanks of fuel through it as we prep for our new shop and I could not be happier. The larger 455 Husky weighed more for the same HP and I can see where this would be useful if you were just rounding firewood all day. The day I got it I "muffler modded it" and removed the factory restriction in the muffler for noise regulations. I took it to our local saw shop and had them adjust the mixture, as otherwise it would lean out at 14,000rpms.

The power to weight in this thing is just unbelievable. I highly recommend it. I am running a 3/8 chain and so far it dropped my cut time by 1/3rd. As for the felling saw, I just won a ebay auction for a DCS34 with a 14" Oregon bar and 3/8ths chain for $200 shipped and I can't wait to try it out.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 12, 2011

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Circus Pies! posted:

Sorry to hear that. I've been meaning to engrave my initials on my tools for a while now and stories like this moves it further up on the TODO list.

Hope your insurance works out and you can get newer and better replacements.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I'm looking at getting a chipper-shredder to turn branches into mulch. Any comments on gas vs electric, or recommended brands and models? There's a Troy-Bilt "5 or 6 hp" model on craigslist for $200, is it a good deal?

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!

Iskariot posted:

Sorry to hear that. I've been meaning to engrave my initials on my tools for a while now and stories like this moves it further up on the TODO list.

Hope your insurance works out and you can get newer and better replacements.

What is this insurance thing you speak of?

Go engrave your poo poo now! Spray paint it all pink and purple while your at it. I'm thinking of painting everything Harbor Freight orange because they left the harbor freight stuff i have. :haw:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

the spyder posted:

Tool recommendation: Chainsaw

I did a ton of research last fall after destroying out 15yr old Stihl 025 chainsaw. We have 4.x~ acres covered in Beech, Walnut, Maple and are regularly doing cleanup work. Our house is also heated by a wood stove, so at least once a year I cut 3-5 cords of wood. I was looking for two saws. A main felling saw and a smaller limbing saw. One of my biggest complaints about the 025 was its short 16" chain. It was great for 12" or smaller, but lacked the power for anything larger. I had initially decided I was going to move away from Stihl to the now Makita owned Dolmar or Husqvarna. I have a great passion for German tools and Dolmar has always received rave reviews from arborists I know. I have also heard great things about the Husky Farm series saws from fellow friends who cut 20+ cords of firewood. Sadly I was on a tight budget of $500 for both saws and decided to see what I could come up with on Craigslist. After reading about some of the higher end Stihl saws, I decided to find a MS260 Pro or Husky 455 Rancher for the feller and a smaller 14" Makita/Dolmar for the limbing saw.

I quickly found that in my area, Dolmars are rare and expensive. Everyone wants the same price as nearly new for a 2yr old saw. And sadly my luck was not any better for Husqvarna's as people wanted $300 for a never serviced, 4yr old saw. Stihls however seem to be in plentiful supply and cheap! I gave up looking and checked out the local farm stores/ dealers. Buying new would at least give me a warranty, but at nearly $700 for two saws, I contently kept looking on Craigslist. One day I found the saw above. Its a 2009 Stihl MS260. A fellow was on the same hunt as I was for the perfect set of saws to maintain his property and won a Dolmar on ebay, leaving this one unused with two tanks of fuel through it. I happily paid him $275 for it. I have since ran 20+ tanks of fuel through it as we prep for our new shop and I could not be happier. The larger 455 Husky weighed more for the same HP and I can see where this would be useful if you were just rounding firewood all day. The day I got it I "muffler modded it" and removed the factory restriction in the muffler for noise regulations. I took it to our local saw shop and had them adjust the mixture, as otherwise it would lean out at 14,000rpms.

The power to weight in this thing is just unbelievable. I highly recommend it. I am running a 3/8 chain and so far it dropped my cut time by 1/3rd. As for the felling saw, I just won a ebay auction for a DCS34 with a 14" Oregon bar and 3/8ths chain for $200 shipped and I can't wait to try it out.

Nice. I'm a fan of my Husqvarna 261, and echo 45 cc combo. The echo was cheap, and does most of the day to day poo poo. The Husqvarna was $210 used, and will take down anything I've ever had the balls to tackle. Both run exclusively on vp racing fuels "sef" which lasts for three years once opened. It's not cheap, $75 for five gallons, but I've never had a fuel problem in either.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

I forgot to share the best utility knife. Now I've carried an expensive bench made but I really worried that if I lost it I would be out $80. So I found this at a local hardware store. I haven't found one similar to it.

QuickSlide™ Pocket Knife

Height 1-9/16"
Length 5-3/4"
Width 3/4"
Weight 0.36 lb

The blade release works great and ive even taken this knife apart numerous times to clean it and lube it. I like that its not flip out because this is way easier to open up.

If you need a good knife for work i'd suggest this one.

I'm not a fan of Stanley and to be honest that slide mechanism doesn't look that brilliant/long-lasting to me. Surely the plastic parts are going to wear and then you have to chuck it out?

I know you said you don't like fold-outs but for anyone else interested I have a strong attachment to my Superknife.
http://www.superknife.com/

That said the website is looking pretty sad these days. Wonder if they went out of business?
Obviously the replacement blades are all the same so you could put them in anything but theirs are way better than Stanley brand ones besides.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

~Coxy posted:

I'm not a fan of Stanley and to be honest that slide mechanism doesn't look that brilliant/long-lasting to me. Surely the plastic parts are going to wear and then you have to chuck it out?

I know you said you don't like fold-outs but for anyone else interested I have a strong attachment to my Superknife.
http://www.superknife.com/

That said the website is looking pretty sad these days. Wonder if they went out of business?
Obviously the replacement blades are all the same so you could put them in anything but theirs are way better than Stanley brand ones besides.

The whole thing is metal, I don't think any part of it is plastic. And one knife i've been using over a year. The I lost one on the job site.

So what makes that super knife so good?. The description didnt give much other then " patented hybrid". It kind of looks like the rest of the knifes out there.

The button releases I've found gum up easier, have you had any problem with that?

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I'm looking at getting a chipper-shredder to turn branches into mulch. Any comments on gas vs electric, or recommended brands and models? There's a Troy-Bilt "5 or 6 hp" model on craigslist for $200, is it a good deal?

I bought an 8HP MTD chipper/shredder off of craigslist a while back for $250. The guy threw in a lawn vac with it as well (still haven't gotten it running), so it seemed like a good deal. It has a Briggs & Stratton engine, so it'll most likely run forever.

It has a hopper for leaves and small branches, and will supposedly chip branches up to 3" in diameter if you stuff them down the separate chipper chute. This is a giant load of bullshit. I tuned up the engine, resharpened all of the chipper knives and the shredder blade, and it's still too weak to handle anything much larger than 1 1/2" or so. Green wood, maybe, but it'll take forever.

They're great if you're mostly dealing with leaves and small brush (stuff left over from cutting back bushes or dealing with small tree branches that drop during storms). I think the cons outweigh the pros though. I hardly ever use it since it's such a pain in the rear end to move around, it takes up a ton of space, and getting it set up and running takes way more time than just breaking up and bagging whatever I wanted to chip in the first place.

To answer your question, I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. If you need to chip large branches, forget it. If you're just dealing with yard waste and you generate a lot of it, it may be worth the money.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Last time I needed one, I rented it from home depot for like $40. Better than dealing with a clogged carb every 12 months!

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
For a pure work knife nothing will replace my multiple Olfa's, but the Milwaukee fast back is the bee's knee's.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
While I like the convenience of a slider, sawdust / drywall dust or other junk just seem to gunk them up over time and render them useless. I always end up going back to my tried and true (and cheaper) flip-out model.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

I have to clean my knife once every couple months depending on how much crap i get into it.

I think I have found the ultimate knife but I could see the auto retracting fly wheel clogging with poo poo quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fslcHiouAc&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL125639CB4996EDCD

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

That mostly seems hugely annoying, and probably also hugely unsafe, contrary to the entire idea.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
What could possibly be dangerous about a box cutter that you have to slash through the air to extend the blade?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

The fast back looks pretty cool. I also liked the look of the gerber razor knifes. They are very thin

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-41830-Pocket-Knife-Exchange/dp/B0016KHW2W/ref=pd_cp_hi_4

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
I like the look of those Gerber knives. The ones people usually post here are too thick and have to be pocketed which I don't like. I carry a knife like this when I'm doing a lot of fine cuts: http://www.stanleytools.com/default...+Snap-Off+Knife It's cumbersome and has to be pocketed so I seldom have it on me when I'm not planning a lot of cuts.

I like having a sharp knife attached to my work pants at all times and the larger fixed blade Hultafors ones I have get dull as they are used for all sorts of abuse. I have a lovely Husky flip-out that's basically a carbine hook with a blade. It's poor quality but I like it because I can get to it one handed, I always remember to snap it back on and it never falls off. I would like a better designed, better quality knife though. Something with a snap mechanism so it will work as well as the Husky. Belt clips don't work as I have it on the front of loose nail pockets on my work pants.

Any ideas? I've only seen pocket or belt clip knives so far.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

The whole thing is metal, I don't think any part of it is plastic. And one knife i've been using over a year. The I lost one on the job site.

The thumb lock on the slide mechanism looks like that brittle plastic in the pic, if it's not the I retract the statement. :)

Dunno what's so great about the SK2 then if that Stanley is also all-metal. I guess a good design and sentimentality.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
So what is the best value in terms of getting a drill and driver combo?

Currently I am looking at these two:

Bosch 18V - http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=CLPK232-181

Dewalt 20V - http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-combo-packs-20v-max-combo-packs-dck280c2.aspx

They are both equivalent in price.

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

therunningman posted:

Bosch 18V - http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=CLPK232-181

Dewalt 20V - http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-combo-packs-20v-max-combo-packs-dck280c2.aspx

I've had this Makita set which is basically the same thing for about a month now, I highly recommend. Super fast charging, batteries last long (enough), and the impact driver is the poo poo. Are you loyal to Bosch or Dewalt at all?

EDIT: Woopsies forgot the link: http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LCT200W-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless/dp/B000V2DSE2/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

The Wormy Guy fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 17, 2011

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

The Wormy Guy posted:

I've had this Makita set which is basically the same thing for about a month now, I highly recommend. Super fast charging, batteries last long (enough), and the impact driver is the poo poo. Are you loyal to Bosch or Dewalt at all?

I'd get a Makita too. My friend has two of them and he loves them. Plus I think Makita's were rated highest in the most recent Woodsmith magazine.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Anyone have experience with this Grizzly band saw (or have other recommendations on the subject?) http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0555-Ultimate-14-22-Bandsaw/dp/B0000DD0AC

I'd like to stay in the $500-700 range (shipped) but if there just isn't anything that's going to not be a giant headache I could bump it up to maybe http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17091
or
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020041/18855/Rikon-14-Deluxe-Bandsaw.aspx

That would mean I don't get a new lathe, though.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

~Coxy posted:

The thumb lock on the slide mechanism looks like that brittle plastic in the pic, if it's not the I retract the statement. :)

Dunno what's so great about the SK2 then if that Stanley is also all-metal. I guess a good design and sentimentality.

I just received my gerber EAB tonight. I think my stanley quick slide is going to be put away. This knife is smaller and thinner and shorter. Hands down I am going to love this knife. Only thing I hate is the blade swap but a screw I can deal with.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

mds2 posted:

I'd get a Makita too. My friend has two of them and he loves them. Plus I think Makita's were rated highest in the most recent Woodsmith magazine.

The equivalent Makita is about $40 more expensive, already pushing my budget but I am looking for decent quality.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The carpenter at my current jobsite abuses the everloving crap out of that precise Bosch set. 1 1/4" forstner bits into 2x4s for mortising door locks, for four to six hours every day. He loves it, and only recently got a third battery, since the laborer has been stealing the drill for paint busting with a wire cup. Yup, he's using the driver for 1 1/4" drilling, and does it for nearly a full work day on one battery.

That being said, all of his other power tools are Bosch. Contractor's saw, chop saw, circular saw, reciprocating saw, hammer drill, corded drill, laser, laser level, other laser, and rotating laser. You'd think the Bosch rep buys him vacations at this point.

kdabr
Feb 17, 2011

Anubis posted:

Anyone have experience with this Grizzly band saw (or have other recommendations on the subject?) http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0555-Ultimate-14-22-Bandsaw/dp/B0000DD0AC

I'd like to stay in the $500-700 range (shipped) but if there just isn't anything that's going to not be a giant headache I could bump it up to maybe http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17091
or
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020041/18855/Rikon-14-Deluxe-Bandsaw.aspx

That would mean I don't get a new lathe, though.

The polar bear edition of that grizzly is the best bargain on the market, at $500 shipped. The rikon is obviously a lot nicer, but is nearly twice as much. I've used both, and for half the money, the grizzly is a nice saw (with an inexcusably bad included blade)

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

kdabr posted:

The polar bear edition of that grizzly is the best bargain on the market, at $500 shipped. The rikon is obviously a lot nicer, but is nearly twice as much. I've used both, and for half the money, the grizzly is a nice saw (with an inexcusably bad included blade)

Good call on the polar bear edition, it was $50 cheaper then the standard with the only difference being the paint. (Plus I think the all white looks nicer but that's not something I put a high value on with my tools.) Just bought it and hopefully it will be delivered next Monday or so.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

That being said, all of his other power tools are Bosch. Contractor's saw, chop saw, circular saw, reciprocating saw, hammer drill, corded drill, laser, laser level, other laser, and rotating laser. You'd think the Bosch rep buys him vacations at this point.
Getting cordless tools of the same brand (and battery system) is fine and smart but be wary of fans of any brand. They rarely see things objectively and are sold on a certain brand. I dislike this as often a Bosch drill or saw may be ever so slightly inferior to say a DeWalt and fans will always take the favorite brand. Logic dictates you take the superior one. That said, Bosch is a very fine brand and seldom make bad tools.

kdabr
Feb 17, 2011

therunningman posted:

I'm not so fond of the new Makita LXT system. I liked their older, lighter white set. I would encourage you to take a look at the new Milwaukee M18 set. I just got one and I absolutely love it. Beware of negative reviews on the etherwebs; many refer to the old 18v NiCad. The reviews of the new 18v lithium set are overwhelmingly positive.

Anubis posted:

Good call on the polar bear edition, it was $50 cheaper then the standard with the only difference being the paint. (Plus I think the all white looks nicer but that's not something I put a high value on with my tools.) Just bought it and hopefully it will be delivered next Monday or so.

Couldn't agree more. I would've chosen the white even at the same price as the green. When I got it, it was actually $75 cheaper, but go figure.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Iskariot posted:

Getting cordless tools of the same brand (and battery system) is fine and smart but be wary of fans of any brand. They rarely see things objectively and are sold on a certain brand. I dislike this as often a Bosch drill or saw may be ever so slightly inferior to say a DeWalt and fans will always take the favorite brand. Logic dictates you take the superior one. That said, Bosch is a very fine brand and seldom make bad tools.

welp, the Bosch set was on sale for $269, so I went with that. Compared to my decade-old $39.95 B&D, there is quite a difference.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
I just picked up the new Dremel Saw-Max. So far so good but I am only cutting plastic with it. http://www.adc.com/Americas/en_US/Product/1270708869522/1270708944034
I don't have dust collection for it, probably won't bother. The only negative is the swarf, the multi purpose blade is carbide grit, it spews sand like chips. Eyepro isn't optional.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
Found this today on Make. For people who appreciate form over function, have some hand engraved hand tools to drool over. http://catharinekennedy.com/

Man, those are pretty planes.

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009
I'm looking for a tool to easily cut off about the bottom inch of vertical doorway trim. I've been using a wood chisel but it's very difficult to do without damaging the trim. A hand saw would work, but I would end up with an angle because what I need to cut is so close to the floor. Any suggestions?

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Any oscillating multi-tool should do the job cleanly, e.g. Dremel Multi-Max or Bosch Multi-X.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
So I'm looking to get this drill to replace my stupid loving Ridgid Li-ion drill. I have a 150$ HD gift card. My dad has had the 12v version (ni-cd batteries) of this drill for ~10 years.

The batteries in my ridgid drill (basically the previous version of this, got it three+ years ago) suck. One doesn't charge at all (says defective, is outside warranty period for batteries), the other has enough charge to predrill one hole into drywall. I have a feeling this is because I didn't use the drill or drain/recharge the batteries often/at all while going through a divorce. It's either 100$ for a drill with 2 new batteries or 80 for a single new Li-ion battery.

Basically, I want to make sure that if I hit an extended period of non-use, this set won't also poo poo the bed on me. Being dead and just needing a charge is fine, and to be expected. I have some projects lined up for spring/summer that will definitely need a drill, and this looks like a sweet deal. Also, can you slap in a li-ion battery to older dewalt tools? I thought I saw they were going to make them compatible a long while back.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

standardtoaster posted:

I'm looking for a tool to easily cut off about the bottom inch of vertical doorway trim. I've been using a wood chisel but it's very difficult to do without damaging the trim. A hand saw would work, but I would end up with an angle because what I need to cut is so close to the floor. Any suggestions?

Flush-cut saw with a piece of wood shimmed to just the right height off the floor to use as a base for the cut? A flush-cut saws should be flexible enough and will make a clean cut too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Tedronai66 posted:

So I'm looking to get this drill to replace my stupid loving Ridgid Li-ion drill. I have a 150$ HD gift card. My dad has had the 12v version (ni-cd batteries) of this drill for ~10 years.

The batteries in my ridgid drill (basically the previous version of this, got it three+ years ago) suck. One doesn't charge at all (says defective, is outside warranty period for batteries), the other has enough charge to predrill one hole into drywall. I have a feeling this is because I didn't use the drill or drain/recharge the batteries often/at all while going through a divorce. It's either 100$ for a drill with 2 new batteries or 80 for a single new Li-ion battery.

Basically, I want to make sure that if I hit an extended period of non-use, this set won't also poo poo the bed on me. Being dead and just needing a charge is fine, and to be expected. I have some projects lined up for spring/summer that will definitely need a drill, and this looks like a sweet deal. Also, can you slap in a li-ion battery to older dewalt tools? I thought I saw they were going to make them compatible a long while back.
This doesn't really help you, but if you register your ridgid tools for the lifetime service agreement, you get free battery replacements.