Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ulio posted:

Gatsu isn't that old what's up with him having a bit of grey?

It's the result of the trauma his body endured when he used the Berserker Armor for the first time.

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
Yeah try to think about how much blood loss Guts has endured, and you'll start to get an idea of why his body shows signs of premature aging.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Oh thanks that explains it, also is there a reason why his helmet shifted into a dog's head(sort of)?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ulio posted:

Oh thanks that explains it, also is there a reason why his helmet shifted into a dog's head(sort of)?

It's representative of the Dog that symbolizes his rage you see over the course of series. The Skeleton Knight / Gaseric had a thing for wearing a skull shaped helmet and presumably had some deeper meaning than that.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ah yes but I guess it might be explained why it's a dog out of all the other animals that represents Gats(his rage) later?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't really recall anything. Maybe if Guts were an apostle he'd be a giant demon dog. Or Miura just thought it looked cool.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ulio posted:

Ah yes but I guess it might be explained why it's a dog out of all the other animals that represents Gats(his rage) later?

Did you miss that every time Guts has his conflict with his inner demon, it's a fox-like monster? It's just a representation of his inner rage, his dark side: mindlessly lusting for violence, embracing cruelty and hate in the bloodbath.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper
Perhaps he sees the rage and pain that has driven him all his life as a literal dog of war, a reflection of his mercenary existence. Dunno, just my guess.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

I always thought his animal spirit was more jackal like. Guts contemplation, which arises from confronting this dark projection, is kind like Griffith acknowledging the road of bodies that he is building towards his destiny. The things both of them have done create ripples in the world of darkness.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Maybe it's a puppy.

A puppy... of DOOM.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's obviously a dingo.

Dingoes are evil.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Rakugoon posted:

It's obviously a dingo.

Dingoes are evil.

Does this mean Guts is going to eat a baby?

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
Didn't he get attacked by a pack of wild dogs or wolves when he ran from his first mercenary company? I thought that was why it represented his inner demons.

KoB
May 1, 2009

A.S.H. posted:

Yeah try to think about how much blood loss Guts has endured, and you'll start to get an idea of why his body shows signs of premature aging.

Just the amount of stress that Guts must have would turn any man's hair grey.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

Recursive Expanse posted:

Didn't he get attacked by a pack of wolves when he ran from his first mercenary company? I thought that was why it represented his inner demons.

You know I completely forgot about this and it probably does have significance, since so much about the world of darkness is supposed to be a projection of the human psyche. I think the biggest question would be, is this animus something that exists outside of Fate like Guts does? Is it proof that he is not destined to become an Apostle? They usually don't seem to endure this kind of contemplation that Guts does, they feel quite justified in their actions, even more so after the Godhand comes down, hands them their new sentence on life, and thus 'Do as thou will'. Still his shadow grows in the wake of the killing to carve his chosen path. Besides just being this dog nipping at the heels of his sanity, there could be something much more to why it is a part of the story and impressing itself upon the Berserk Armor.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
All I know, it is so not going to be pretty. We've seen chapters where that armor nearly makes him kill his group. Sure Schierke is there to keep the chains on him, but lets face it.

I feel the demon pretty much signifies how Gutts used to be. He didn't really care about others, just killing. I forgot which chapters it was but it was basically goading Gutts to kill everyone because they were holding him back, etc.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
Thinking back on it, was his battle with the wolves the first time he actually went berserk? I think it was also right after he killed Gerald(?)- his abusive adoptive father/owner. So that was quite an emotional time, and a fitting moment to embrace and build upon his rage against a cruel and unfair world.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I think you mean Gambino, was nothing like a father though.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Ulio posted:

I think you mean Gambino, was nothing like a father though.
Guts still has happy flashbacks of Gambino's face in the sky though, as if a stupid mercenary who sold a little boy to get raped was someone worth remembering.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

Guts still cries over killing Gambino, he didn't mean to kill him.. It's probably what makes him the very pinnacle of humanity against Griffiths void of compassion.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Griffith had regret over that kid dying on the battlefield. Griffith sold his body to expedite the hawk's fundraising after the kid died. Griffith isn't a heartless monster and I think he and Guts are pretty on comparable in selfish/selflessness. Griffith was completely broken and targeted by the God Hand to sacrifice. I reread or watch that scene where he is convinced to join the God Hand a lot when I go through the manga/anime every couple of a years. He really doesn't want to be a bloody ruler but his ambition and hopelessly was amplified to the point that he felt he had no other option.

Guts and Puck have that behelit and I wonder who it is for and if for Guts, what would make him use it? What would he be asked to sacrifice?

temple fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 14, 2011

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If Guts uses the behelit it will go against everything he believes in and I don't think he will ever be as broken for it be "activated".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
No apostle is ever going to beat Griffith.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Ulio posted:

If Guts uses the behelit it will go against everything he believes in and I don't think he will ever be as broken for it be "activated".

The only thing Guts really believes in is FSU'ing as hard as possible. If he comes across an enemy he can't take down I could totally see him going all apostle like to get the job done.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper
It may also be used to call the God Hand down and confront them when Guts is ready.

Or, since he's so protective of it, it's actually Pucks behelit, and he's the one that's gonna go all apostle one day.

Talvos
Mar 21, 2005
I do not see Guts using the behelit. However, the behelit is supposed to go towards its owner, so perhaps Guts just has a really tight grip and has been unknowingly pulled towards the person who will use it. I can definitely see Caska using it, and a few others in the party could use it as a means to save the rest of the group. Then there is also the possibility that he is still on his journey to the person that it's meant for.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

The only thing Guts really believes in is FSU'ing as hard as possible. If he comes across an enemy he can't take down I could totally see him going all apostle like to get the job done.

The only one he would even think to use it against would be Griffith, but it would suck to see him eventually become like them. Guts chose to struggle.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Isn't it a thing that branded sacrifices can't use behelits? The God Hand are big into causality and karma and fate- and as far as the fate of the world is concerned, all branded sacrifices are already dead.

Besides, the behelit has already been used by an apostle, the Count. Which wouldn't matter if behelits were just objects, but it's pretty clear they're carefully maneuvered into position for specific individuals in all or most cases. Much like in Hellraiser, it's not the simple act of solving the puzzle box that summons the Cenobites, it's the intent that does it.

Now, had those two things been the only things keeping Guts from using the behelit, Miura could easily write his way around it whenever he pleases - but so far Guts' entire character arc post-Eclipse has pretty explicitly been moving him away from that remote possibility. It's not a matter of becoming a monster to kill a monster, Guts is already dealing with being the monster.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 14, 2011

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
On that idea of it being on a journey to its master still-- Could Griffith use another Behelit?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Rakugoon posted:

On that idea of it being on a journey to its master still-- Could Griffith use another Behelit?

Miura plays the long game and it's obvious Puck's adopted behelit will wind up somewhere - it's an interesting idea, but I have no idea what Griffith would stand to gain from "using" a behelit again. The God Hand don't exactly have much to offer him at this point.

It might be used to draw others through the dimensional layers, into the Interstice and Vortex, I suppose. But post-Fantasia the boundaries are seemingly blurred enough to be non-existent anyway...

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I could see the Behelit activate if only to give a chance to have Guts encounter the Idea and tell it to gently caress off in the grandest case of gently caress YOU CAUSALITY

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Guts sacrifices his vengeance on Griffith to bring back Casca's sanity. Griffith then falls on his sword because Guts don't give a poo poo about him no more.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Zorak posted:

I could see the Behelit activate if only to give a chance to have Guts encounter the Idea and tell it to gently caress off in the grandest case of gently caress YOU CAUSALITY

This. This is what is going to happen, I'll bet you, if Guts ever uses the Behelit. It's just too thematically appropriate for Guts not to use the Behelit (one of the major themes being humanity and inhumanity as well as destiny and free will) that I don't see Muira ever recanting on it. Besides, I wonder if Guts even can use the Behelit, born from a corpse as he was.

Someone else in his current party might, however.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Wasn't it revealed a super long time ago that the branded can't escape their fate and can't become apostles or use behelits under any circumstances?

Yea Slan and Glasses Godhand make mention of it in volume 3 from what I remember. So the behelit isn't for Guts. It's probably for the siblings (comedy option Azlan).

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

(comedy option Azlan).

Adon should come back as a blue whale apostle

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Guts is so not bound by fate that the rules may not apply to him, and he may be able to call the Godhand due to his raaaaagggeeee due to losing yet another crew of friends. They'd come and say "what the gently caress, this isn't possible, you have a brand," and then he'd kick them all in the face, with his sword.

I actually see the outcome as not being not too far removed from that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Darko posted:

Guts is so not bound by fate that the rules may not apply to him, and he may be able to call the Godhand due to his raaaaagggeeee due to losing yet another crew of friends. They'd come and say "what the gently caress, this isn't possible, you have a brand," and then he'd kick them all in the face, with his sword.

I actually see the outcome as not being not too far removed from that.

I could live with this.

Danny Bro Pty Ltd
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You lot are way off the mark. Clearly the ending will be the same as The Last Man on Earth.

Duh.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
No Guts, you are the apostles.
(And then Guts was a fairy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Wasn't it revealed a super long time ago that the branded can't escape their fate and can't become apostles or use behelits under any circumstances?

Yea Slan and Glasses Godhand make mention of it in volume 3 from what I remember. So the behelit isn't for Guts. It's probably for the siblings (comedy option Azlan).

That's just speculation and the God Hand themselves remark that they cannot forsee all consequences. It may very well be Guts fate to be marked in such manner before becoming an apostle or doing whatever he was fated to be doing. There is no evidence to even think that Guts is outside of the currents of Fate when everything he has done up to this point has appeared to assist Griffith's goal of merging the planes.

Hell. The false ceremony that reincarnated Griffith into human form is more proof that Guts is within the currents of fate than anything. The entire event would not have occurred if both Guts and Caska were not there on a full moon night while being branded. Every Apostle that Guts has killed was fated to be killed by him.