Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01122005

More Todd awesomeness. Todd doesn't care that he's fat, then he shanks Pat who indeed does suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Then Todd loses a bunch of weight.

I've used the "If ____ were a piano ___ would be considered a bold and unpredictable new talent" line in conversation and it's a winner. Achewood is indeed a celebration of the English language :unsmith:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

csammis posted:

I've used the "If ____ were a piano ___ would be considered a bold and unpredictable new talent" line in conversation and it's a winner. Achewood is indeed a celebration of the English language :unsmith:

That strip also gave us "That answer could use some work!" which does pretty good in many social situations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
/leans back

/cracks knuckles

Job well done.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Howard Beale posted:

That strip also gave us "That answer could use some work!" which does pretty good in many social situations.

Which in turn reminds me of the "Bitches gotta take their oval office pills" line, and Roast Beef's horrified reaction.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Todd's on this thing so often he should have theme music and bumpers.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Jerusalem posted:

Which in turn reminds me of the "Bitches gotta take their oval office pills" line, and Roast Beef's horrified reaction.
I ain't wearin no gunny sack!

That's possibly my favorite line in Achewood. That may make me a horrible person.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer
Ahem. How does one do this again? :siren: "A new strip is up" :siren:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'll be pretty happy if Achewood is a consistant one-a-week update like this.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Todd is just a tiny little bullshit man.

Dorsal Penis
Apr 8, 2010
God, I am so glad Achewood is updating again, I read that entire strip with a glorious grin across my face. If you're comparing this to past Achewood and finding it lacking, then I fear you're just a tired snob.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I especially enjoy the pimp tree in the last panel.

Hooray achewood.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

csammis posted:

Then Todd loses a bunch of weight.

"You guessed it: It's a Todd Got hosed Wednesday. Tell your parents."

That's definitely one of the best Todd strips, hands down.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

GeneralZod posted:

Ahem. How does one do this again? :siren: "A new strip is up" :siren:

Oh hell and drat yes.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
For all that explanation of the communications protocol Hen invented, she could have just told Ray to come with them. But I digress, this looks like it's going to lead somewhere wonderful.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Is the accent in the name "Hén" actually needed or is it redundant? It probably exists in another language, but I like the idea that Onstad gave a fashion designer a name with a completely superfluous accent mark. Although in that case an umlaut over the N would have been more properly ludicrous.

I've really warmed up to this arc - it definitely feels like proper Achewood surrealism, a la the Lonis Edison and Cartilage Head stories. And the art on the house in that last panel is fantastic, with a seriously great Lynchy-D vibe to it. Makes me wonder if Trouble Man and No-No are hanging around somewhere.

Once this arc's done, though, I'm jonesing for some classic Todd action.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 14, 2011

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ubik posted:

Is the accent in the name "Hén" actually needed or is it redundant? It probably exists in another language, but I like the idea that Onstad gave a fashion designer a name with a completely superfluous accent mark. Although in that case an umlaut over the N would have been more properly ludicrous.

I've really warmed up to this arc - it definitely feels like proper Achewood surrealism, a la the Lonis Edison and Cartilage Head stories. And the art on the house in that last panel is fantastic, with a seriously great Lynchy-D vibe to it. Makes me wonder if Trouble Man and No-No are hanging around somewhere.

Once this arc's done, though, I'm jonesing for some classic Todd action.

I beg to differ. The accent mark over the e actually matters in indicating the length of the vowel in some languages (which of course I can't think of an example right now). The umlaut over the N, in addition to making no sense, would be a rip-off of Spin̈al Tap. (Idiot me, I just looked for an ASCII character where there was an umlaut over the n in a standard character set. Then I got smart and just copied it out of the wikipedia entry for Spinal Tap.)

But more importantly the accent over the e in a monosyllabic word is just plain ostentatious and pretentious.

On a side-note, can some goon with better knowledge of French tell me whether Aimeé is a legitimate name, or is it just a misinformed misspelling of Aimée? (Seems like it would be pronounced "Aym-uh-ay".)

Oh, I hope this continues. Onstad, you've broken my heart before. Please don't do it again!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Nonvalueadded User posted:

I beg to differ. The accent mark over the e actually matters in indicating the length of the vowel in some languages (which of course I can't think of an example right now). The umlaut over the N, in addition to making no sense, would be a rip-off of Spin̈al Tap. (Idiot me, I just looked for an ASCII character where there was an umlaut over the n in a standard character set. Then I got smart and just copied it out of the wikipedia entry for Spinal Tap.)

But more importantly the accent over the e in a monosyllabic word is just plain ostentatious and pretentious.

On a side-note, can some goon with better knowledge of French tell me whether Aimeé is a legitimate name, or is it just a misinformed misspelling of Aimée? (Seems like it would be pronounced "Aym-uh-ay".)

Gotcha. That's why I was asking. :) And the "umlaut over the N" thing was intended to not make sense, but I'd forgotten about the Spinal Tap thing. I just liked the idea of Onstad giving the fashion designer a name that had completely superfluous or nonsensical accents/characters.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Shouldn't the text be backwards in the reflection from Ray's sunglasses?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Shouldn't the text be backwards in the reflection from Ray's sunglasses?

yes but then you couldn't read it shut up shut up

I both noticed this and then discarded it as irrelevant. Technically the panel edges shouldn't also be part of the wallpaper but we are in storyville.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C9
...É, é (e-acute) is a letter of the Czech, Hungarian, Icelandic, Kashubian, Luxembourgish, Slovak, ...

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

There is no possible way to have an accent on the second "e" in French. The "ée" ending in French signifies a past participle agreeing with a feminine noun. The name "Aimée" means, literally, "loved", as in the phrase "Elle est ma bien-aimée" ("she is my beloved").

"eé" isn't just a different pronunciation - it's not anything at all.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

fritz posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C9
...É, é (e-acute) is a letter of the Czech, Hungarian, Icelandic, Kashubian, Luxembourgish, Slovak, ...
Of course, that's why I started with "The accent mark over the e actually matters in indicating the length of the vowel in some languages". But Onstad's purpose here is surely to create an overly-pretentious name for a new character.

HappyKitty posted:

There is no possible way to have an accent on the second "e" in French. The "ée" ending in French signifies a past participle agreeing with a feminine noun. The name "Aimée" means, literally, "loved", as in the phrase "Elle est ma bien-aimée" ("she is my beloved").

"eé" isn't just a different pronunciation - it's not anything at all.
As I thought. It's always bothered me when I've seen a woman spelling her name as Aimeé, thinking it's just a case of trying to be fancy without doing it right, but thought I ought to confirm it before I continued name-hating without cause.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Of course, that's why I started with "The accent mark over the e actually matters in indicating the length of the vowel in some languages". But Onstad's purpose here is surely to create an overly-pretentious name for a new character.

Is it really 'e with an accent mark' if it's a separate letter?

ETA: "É is the 7th letter of the Icelandic alphabet and represents /jɛː/." which I would think is a little more of a difference than just a lengthening.

fritz fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 14, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Achewood's back :allears:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I put all the blame for slow updating on that fancy looking tree in the last panel. That and also these new ones are more nicely drawn and as long as 2-4 old achewoods.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer
Apparently some blogs will be coming later, too.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate to be the party pooper, but that tree looks photoshopped.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Who cares how he made it? It looks neat.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

As I thought. It's always bothered me when I've seen a woman spelling her name as Aimeé, thinking it's just a case of trying to be fancy without doing it right, but thought I ought to confirm it before I continued name-hating without cause.

What really bothers me is girls named René. René is a boy's name you idiots!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

GIS first result for "tree SHOW ME ITS BRANCHES DAMMIT"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

:ssh: The entire comic is photoshopped.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, yeah, it's created with Adobe software, but that's seriously a filtered tree.

I just think it's funny to say the reason why it took forever to get an update was all the time spent cutting out and filtering a tree.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Chris Onstad spent a long and agonizing time on that tree! IT IS HIS TREE OF WOE

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I loved that callback to the past. Perhaps Ray really did learn to pay attention.

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

Howard Beale posted:

GIS first result for "tree SHOW ME ITS BRANCHES DAMMIT"

I wasn't born with the gene that said "stop drawing trees."

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Super bonus Hén avatar with a special secret:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

People might want to wait longer then a couple weeks to start getting avatars again.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

WoodrowSkillson posted:

People might want to wait longer then a couple weeks to start getting avatars again.

I can understand a lot of animosity towards Onstad at this point, but to avoid getting new avatars because of his update schedule seems sort of... unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Fren posted:

I can understand a lot of animosity towards Onstad at this point, but to avoid getting new avatars because of his update schedule seems sort of... unnecessary.

I can't presume to speak for anybody but I'll bet it has more to do with the issue of unreceived goods that were paid for.