Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

I'm really having difficulty settling on a third for my Iron Man/Doom team. Any suggestions? I've tried Vergil, Dante, Sentinel, Spencer, and even Chris.

While each of those characters offers something different, yet all the while useful, I can't help but wonder what would benefit my team most. I really want a teleport character, but I feel like such a chode whenever I use vergil or dante.

My PSN is JustPlainLucky

If anybody wants to throw down shoot me a message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

WeakLad posted:

I'm really having difficulty settling on a third for my Iron Man/Doom team. Any suggestions? I've tried Vergil, Dante, Sentinel, Spencer, and even Chris.

While each of those characters offers something different, yet all the while useful, I can't help but wonder what would benefit my team most. I really want a teleport character, but I feel like such a chode whenever I use vergil or dante.

My PSN is JustPlainLucky

Hey, add me I'm EthnicX. Also, I run Iron Man as anchor, partly because his beam assist is so great. What's your overall game plan with IM/Doom/???

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

WeakLad posted:

My PSN is JustPlainLucky

get over it. Having some sort of baggage for using a character in a videogame is stupid. Here's some other teleport characters: Wesker, Rocket Raccoon, Strider, Doctor Strange, Phoenix, dormmau, deadpool. Good luck

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Hey, add me I'm EthnicX. Also, I run Iron Man as anchor, partly because his beam assist is so great. What's your overall game plan with IM/Doom/???

I start with tony on point. He's really good at opening up people's defenses, and his specials are great for spamming. Doom's missiles make moving around with iron man great, and we all know how versatile he is all around when he's out in play. My third usually has a horizontal beam/bullet/slice assist which also makes things easy for iron man. I don't really have a set game plan other than "beat the other guy" but my team seems to go well together.

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

get over it. Having some sort of baggage for using a character in a videogame is stupid. Here's some other teleport characters: Wesker, Rocket Raccoon, Strider, Doctor Strange, Phoenix, dormmau, deadpool. Good luck

I actually considered Dormammu because a team of metal clad badasses is loving neato burrito

WeakLad fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 14, 2011

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

double post

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Out of boredom with my regular Nova/Frank/Zero team, I've been experimenting with some gimmick teams. Right now, my favorite is Zero/Wesker/Nova aka Team Unblockable. Basic Zero ground string, drop combo puposefully, call Nova, low unblockable, repeat with Wesker, Hyenkyaku H and an overhead to cross up as well, and so on ad infinitum. Or until they jumpblock.

It's a stupidly impractical setup, but every now and again, I find a guy who tries to straight up block it each time. That's when it just gets flat out funny.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

This.

Also use Wesker or Strider. Both are awesome anchors and have good assists. Strider's Vajra gives you a hard knockdown if it hits an airborne opponent and Wesker has his OTG gunshot which helps any team. Plus he's Wesker.

Chocolate America fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 14, 2011

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

WeakLad posted:

I actually considered Dormammu because a team of metal clad badasses is loving neato burrito
Try using Super Skrull, he's awesome, and more Skrull players is never a bad thing. Dormammu is also a very nice choice.

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003
Ask me about our everyday low prices!

bladeworksmaster posted:

Try using Super Skrull, he's awesome, and more Skrull players is never a bad thing. Dormammu is also a very nice choice.

More skrull players is a Bad Thing because random meteor smash coinflips are dumb and make me mad as heck when I get caught by them. Come at me bro

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

eSKAObar posted:

More skrull players is a Bad Thing because random meteor smash coinflips are dumb and make me mad as heck when I get caught by them. Come at me bro

Nothing random about meteor smash, easy as poo poo to block when you know how it works.

Now, getting command grabbed out of whatever you're trying despite having assists on the screen and then getting comboed for 550-650k off of that command grab? Super skrull is ridiculous as gently caress.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Do all command grabs in this game have the same scaling? I know all grabs scale 50%, but combos started off Skrull's or Haggar's or Felica's grabs seem to not scale nearly has much, do they all scale differently? Is it different for each character?

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003
Ask me about our everyday low prices!
Can you please explain how they work then? I know that they land on parts of the screen varying on the strength of the move, but it's still really ambiguous if you space it right. Every skrull player I have seen will eventually just go for it out of the blue and it's a coin toss if you're locked down or doing something

Corn Nuts
Jul 16, 2003

Pillbug

Player 2 posted:

Maybe I'm just shaking off the rust after not playing any fighting games for 6 months but Magnus mission 9 is driving me nuts:

S, SJC, j.H, ADD, j.H, H, S, SJC, j.H, ADD, j.H, H, Hypergrav...there's more but in about 100 attempts I've landed the last H before hypergrav maybe 10 times. Haggar tends to recover too soon.
I can do all of it up to the last s.H no problem and I've tried varying the timing on every part of it. The time when i have connected it just doesn't feel any different to when it whiffs :psyduck:

Any tips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MbnfbVqpD2A#t=91s

After the first air loop, let Hagger fall pretty close to the ground before you relaunch. You then want to jc.H immediately, but don't add+H immediately. Leave a slight delay so that Magneto can gain more height and Hagger can fall a little. Your add+H should connect, and your st.H should easily connect right after. Practice this until it becomes muscle memory, and then continue on with the Hypergrav. I like to imagine st.H into Hypergrav as it's own special move: H+qcb+L. It needs to be done very fast.

Corn Nuts fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 14, 2011

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

eSKAObar posted:

Can you please explain how they work then? I know that they land on parts of the screen varying on the strength of the move, but it's still really ambiguous if you space it right. Every skrull player I have seen will eventually just go for it out of the blue and it's a coin toss if you're locked down or doing something

As long as you're not doing something your character will face the direction Skrull is landing so you have time to react. Also if you are backed up to either side of the screen and walking backwards it'll never hit you unless you're in the corner. Careful when trying to punish it cause an inferno is almost certainly on its way.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Do all command grabs in this game have the same scaling? I know all grabs scale 50%, but combos started off Skrull's or Haggar's or Felica's grabs seem to not scale nearly has much, do they all scale differently? Is it different for each character?

Nope, Nemesis's command grabs supposedly scale extremely little and if it's the same as vanilla MVC3 Felicia's just straight up doesn't scale at all.

I think just about everyone else's command grabs scales their hitstun a lot alongside their damage.

Except maybe Thor.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

She hulks command grabs do scale like 50% tho.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

NecroMonster posted:

She hulks command grabs do scale like 50% tho.

Didn't raw tagging reset that though? Combofiend would always raw tag after landing it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Didn't raw tagging reset that though? Combofiend would always raw tag after landing it.

It did, yeah. I don't think it does anymore tho.

Disease
Oct 6, 2011
Interesting how deeply ingrained the "full screen random super" strategy is in the online crowd. Doesn't seem to matter what their rank or win-rate percentage is either. So far the most "Seven Rings of Raggador" supers I've landed in a single online match is 4, put I've gotten quite a few 3's and I'd say that in an average match I get two of them - which makes me wonder about the people playing these games. I think I'm going to start recording my matches in hopes of beating my record.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

WeakLad posted:

Dormammu is really good in this game. He was pretty good in vanilla but he definitely got some decent buffs. In my opinion I'd roll with Iron Man/Dorm/Doom. Give dorm his pillar assist and doom plasma assist. Plasma beam assist is just so good... Also I'd change iron man for a character who's a bit more worth it...like magneto. :)

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Dormammu is really good in this game. He was pretty good in vanilla but he definitely got some decent buffs. In my opinion I'd roll with Iron Man/Dorm/Doom. Give dorm his pillar assist and doom plasma assist. Plasma beam assist is just so good... Also I'd change iron man for a character who's a bit more worth it...like magneto. :)

hahaha I use iron man out of principle. I used him since the days of Marvel Super Heroes and I plan on using him until they remove him from the roster entirely.

I'll drop sent for dorm. I need to learn him a little better but everything about him is just good.

It's true that in vanilla iron man was just the poor man's magneto, and even now when he's the poverty stricken retard's doom, I still love my boy tony.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Disease posted:

Interesting how deeply ingrained the "full screen random super" strategy is in the online crowd. Doesn't seem to matter what their rank or win-rate percentage is either. So far the most "Seven Rings of Raggador" supers I've landed in a single online match is 4, put I've gotten quite a few 3's and I'd say that in an average match I get two of them - which makes me wonder about the people playing these games. I think I'm going to start recording my matches in hopes of beating my record.

fullscreen maximum wesker + pray for crossup

I think I am going to start keeping track of amount of X's in a gamertag vs. how many members of team trenchcoat are on a team. People with a bunch of X's always have at least one of Wesker/Dante/Vergil.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Got to play a bit of the PS Vita version tonight at a demo kiosk in Tokyo. It looks much, much better than the screenshots online would lead you to believe.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Dren posted:

I think I am going to start keeping track of amount of X's in a gamertag vs. how many members of team trenchcoat are on a team. People with a bunch of X's always have at least one of Wesker/Dante/Vergil.

When playing online I've associated Team Trenchcoat with easy wins at this point.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Sarchasm posted:

Got to play a bit of the PS Vita version tonight at a demo kiosk in Tokyo. It looks much, much better than the screenshots online would lead you to believe.

Where did you go for it?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Sarchasm posted:

Any noticeable slowdown?

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
According to the guide Jill's position change command grab only scales to 70% as well.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

DiscoJ posted:

Where did you go for it?

Yodobashi Camera just outside of Akihabara Station. It's just to the left of the 3DS demo kiosks as you come up the escalators.

kaujot posted:

Any noticeable slowdown?

None, but it was a pretty tame match against easy AI. For what it's worth, it felt really fast and smooth. Then again I don't think either one of us even called an assist because the AI was set to easy and I forgot about the shoulder buttons. :downs:

The analog stick seemed to work pretty well, though. Obviously it's not an arcade stick, but it's a better replacement than I would've guessed.

Edit: Oh, and a new rendered intro,this time featuring Doom and Magneto.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 14, 2011

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, it's pretty grueling learning stick from scratch. I'm at the point of maybe making 70% of my inputs correctly. Activating X-Factor and then repositioning my hand correctly to combo afterwards is still a gamble at this point.

I'm clawing my way back up to 9th Lord though! Had a weird night where I lost every single game to anyone with "Beginner" or "Amateur" or a 1-9 record, but won a handful of times against Lords and people with win streaks.

Currently using Ghost Rider, Nemesis, Sentinel [forever X-factor Sentinel]. Thinking of dropping Nemesis since he does nothing for my team really.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Thundercracker posted:

Man, it's pretty grueling learning stick from scratch. I'm at the point of maybe making 70% of my inputs correctly. Activating X-Factor and then repositioning my hand correctly to combo afterwards is still a gamble at this point.

:raise: What is your button layout that popping XF means you have to move your hand? The standard type B layout means that your fingers should pretty much be above the 4 attack buttons constantly. If you're using one of the shoulder buttons to activate, can I ask why? Seems like it's more trouble than its worth.

Also try Hulk in that second slot if you're enjoying someone else with armor. AA Gamma charge assist has armor, and would help get people off Ghost Rider if someone gets in on him. And Sent gives him some ability to get in when Rider dies.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Boxman posted:

:raise: What is your button layout that popping XF means you have to move your hand? The standard type B layout means that your fingers should pretty much be above the 4 attack buttons constantly. If you're using one of the shoulder buttons to activate, can I ask why? Seems like it's more trouble than its worth.

Also try Hulk in that second slot if you're enjoying someone else with armor. AA Gamma charge assist has armor, and would help get people off Ghost Rider if someone gets in on him. And Sent gives him some ability to get in when Rider dies.

It's the default Madcatz TE stick layout. At this point, in a match, I'm still slamming my hand down on all 4 buttons like a whammy button, so it takes a second to readjust. Like I said, it's a learning process. I still end a few matches with my hand positioned one "column" over so that I'm trying to combo with Assist 1 and Assist 2 and the extra "shoulder" buttons. It's like learning to type all over.

Yeah, I'm thinking of either Hulk or another good zoner for my second. Quite honestly, Hulk and Nemsis seem to occupy almost the exact same niche. The only really big thing I see Nemesis having over Hulk is the ability to easily combo off his command grab.

Jamikaze
Jul 12, 2000

CRANKIN'
and
CHUGGIN'
I streamed on Saturday called Texas Bar Fights, and I thought I would share the videos with you guys. There were people from all over Texas who came and we got some really great play in Marvel recorded. I uploaded them to Youtube, so if you want to see some sick Zero action, check it out. We got featured on the front page of SRK, but I know some of you guys don't check that site.

Anyways, here's the grand finals match with a guy named Sam's super sick Zero. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOlBytaUgVE

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

Jamikaze posted:

I streamed on Saturday called Texas Bar Fights, and I thought I would share the videos with you guys. There were people from all over Texas who came and we got some really great play in Marvel recorded. I uploaded them to Youtube, so if you want to see some sick Zero action, check it out. We got featured on the front page of SRK, but I know some of you guys don't check that site.

Anyways, here's the grand finals match with a guy named Sam's super sick Zero. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOlBytaUgVE

drat Texas you have some exciting rear end finals

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Thundercracker posted:

It's the default Madcatz TE stick layout. At this point, in a match, I'm still slamming my hand down on all 4 buttons like a whammy button, so it takes a second to readjust. Like I said, it's a learning process. I still end a few matches with my hand positioned one "column" over so that I'm trying to combo with Assist 1 and Assist 2 and the extra "shoulder" buttons. It's like learning to type all over.

Yeah, I'm thinking of either Hulk or another good zoner for my second. Quite honestly, Hulk and Nemsis seem to occupy almost the exact same niche. The only really big thing I see Nemesis having over Hulk is the ability to easily combo off his command grab.

AFAIK the default setting in the game is not what most people use. You should use

A-B-C
S-A1-A2

And always try to practice by operating the stick as delicately as possible. The more precise and less movements you use to perform the same actions, the better off you will be in the long run. If your whole arm is involved, its incredibly difficult to develop good muscle memory. When I learned to play on stick I whaled on the thing. I had to basically go back and relearn it with a different grip because I was struggling from the 1P side.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 14, 2011

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Jamikaze posted:

That was five bazillion times more exciting than the usual matches with the usual "top tier" people playing Wesker vs Wesker.

sleeps-chan
Jan 7, 2006

by T. Fine

Krad posted:

That was five bazillion times more exciting than the usual matches with the usual "top tier" people playing Wesker vs Wesker.

yeah lmao, it drives me loving insane. How can these "top tier" players even be considered good when they only pick over-powered-over-used characters

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

sleeps-chan posted:

yeah lmao, it drives me loving insane. How can these "top tier" players even be considered good when they only pick over-powered-over-used characters

Yeah, no. What I'm saying is these guys actually showed something new to watch.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Krad posted:

Yeah, no. What I'm saying is these guys actually showed something new to watch.

The games only been out a month.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

sleeps-chan posted:

Because a tournament decides who is good by who wins.

When you start trying to use different metrics than this, things get stupid really quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Veev posted:

The games only been out a month.

But an incredibly similar game has been out for just about a year?

• Locked thread