Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
Hello thread. Meet Polly, our demented husky mix rescue dog, shown here in a crappy cell phone pic hanging out on the sofa on a rainy day with our lab/chow mix Abby.

Polly was my wife's dog before we got married, and was acquired in a classic "I want that husky because it looks so cute even though I don't know anything about huskies" sort of manner. Polly won the lottery when she ended up with my wife though, because I'm not sure many other people would have actually kept her.

Polly was a rescue, and lived on the street for a period of time before ending up at the shelter. We believe she was abused, because she is terrified of basement stairs, people wearing baseball caps and large inanimate objects. She is also extremely smart, status conscious and very dog aggressive. There have been many episodes over the years of Polly attacking other dogs, particularly those smaller than her. She does not growl, or give any other warning, she just goes straight to kill mode.

She is doing better now than she was, as she now gets a daily dose of Prozac and I have been able to convince her that I am the alpha dog and not her. We had a few episodes of violence between her and Abby early on, but they're good now. We have no idea what breed she is other than husky. Maybe bear. We don't even know how old she is because my wife does not believe any of the information the shelter told her.

I'll get some better pics from my wife to post. If anyone thinks they have a clue what she might be mixed with, I'd be curious to hear it. I had certainly never heard of a brown husky before her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
Aw Polly looks sweet :)
That's awesome you were able to rescue her and deal with her issues. It would be worthwhile though to check out the training thread. A lot of the terms associated with dominance theory are actually outdated and there are some great training tips Polly might benefit from.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
More pics of Polly the demento-dog-bear hybrid:

This last photo is from the Snowpocalypse in DC. Polly sat outside and guarded the snowman and ate snow for like 4 days straight. She was in her natural habitat.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

XtaC posted:

Here's a pic of our two Malamutes, Leila and Loki, just before a walk to the shops.

I love how happy Mals tend to look :3:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

ALERT! Nikita spying on the everybody.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Those ears mean business...

tadnar
Mar 17, 2009
My mom's retired and temporarily living on her own, so she decided to get a puppy! She's an American Eskimo we named Momo, and she's the sweetest little thing. :3:

Since my mom hasn't had any experience with raising a dog before, I've been scouring the Puppy FAQ, Training, this thread, and a few books pretty thoroughly and making sure its taken care of properly. eg, the right dog food, positive training, crating, housebreaking, etc. She should be getting crate dividers tomorrow to make the cage an appropriate size for Momo.

Even though American Eskimos are apparently on the less primitive end of the primitive dogs category and seem to be more easily trainable, we're well aware of specific issues like their shedding and energy.

It's so cute, and I'd really like to make sure it's raised to be a healthy and happy dog. I'd appreciate it if any of you fellow Eskie owners here could give any breed-specific tips or let me know of any good resources. Or really, any general advice that might not be in the other threads from anyone.

With that, here's another picture of her looking smug as gently caress.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

YAY, an Eskie puppy! :3: :3: :3: I'm the loudest Eskie owner around here and I'd be happy to tell you about them.

American Eskimos are a spitz breed and so they are closely related to a ton of other breeds ranging from huskies to poms to akitas. I'm not sure if they are less primitive than other spitzen (or even what that would really mean), but they do share a lot of the traits. They are moderate to high energy, very smart, and stubborn/independent compared to other dogs. Training them is definitely different than some other breeds because while a spitz is eager to learn, it will also go do its own thing if you haven't provided ample reasoning for why obeying you is more awesome than doing other stuff.

I don't have a really reliable source on their history, but everything I've read suggests they were bred as watch dogs. This means that they are typically weary of strangers, alarm barkers, and territorial. You MUST put a lot of effort into socializing your new puppy! An Eskie that is not socialized properly is more prone to have reactivity issues later than other breeds. They can become fearful and reactive toward strangers and strange dogs. They are also very sensitive dogs. Positive training techniques are a must for them. Clicker training goes over fabulously and really builds their confidence. NILIF is also great at helping you teach them boundaries and that they need to earn what they get with good behavior. Eskies don't respond well to punishment and will become distrustful if punished moreso than other more laid-back breeds.

Eskies were also popular circus dogs at one point, so if you or your mom have any interest in agility or other dogs sports, go for it when your puppy is old enough! My eskie is scary agile and loves climbing all over our furniture (and us). They have a ton of personality and are pretty much cute in whatever they do. This will help you during the rear end in a top hat puppy stage where your Eskie will attempt to drive you nuts. Stay patient and remember that training is supposed to be fun for everyone! I definitely recommend puppy classes, which will be good for socializing your pup and good for teaching you how to train!

I'd be happy to discuss more general Eskie things here. For training, we have a Training Megathread. You'll find a lot of good resources and guides in the OP. You've already posted in the puppy thread too, so more puppy issues can go there.

Also, remember to post pictures on a regular basis. Puppy Exploding Syndrome is a very real danger that is only avoided through copious amounts of puppy pics.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Warbadger posted:

ALERT! Nikita spying on the everybody.

Wanna scratch behind those ears. :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

tadnar posted:

You are KILLING me here! She looks just like my husband's dog Hawk, right down to the ear (though his never raised all the way). :3:

Definitely don't want her to explode, so take many pictures.

tadnar
Mar 17, 2009
I got a clicker, and let my mom know about NiLiF. She's already learning to handle her business outdoors and sit on occasion. :3:

Also, how's the heat tolerance on Eskies? I know they prefer cold weather, never to leave it in a car, etc. It lives up in Washington state right now so that's not going to be a major issue, but I'm in Los Angeles where the heat can be intense and very dry. If I got an Eskie of my own, would air conditioning pretty much be a must? I mean, I'm sure it's possible to keep one here, and I love the look of similar breeds, but I wouldn't want to get one if it'd be suffering in the climate for half the year. I looked into the Japanese Spitz as well, which are supposed to tolerate the weather better, but they're a bit hard to find.

I probably won't be getting my own dog for a few years though, but figured it'd be good to know.

I'm also very concerned about Exploding Puppy Syndrome, so here's some more pictures:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Honestly, LA would be fine. I'm in Dallas and Hawk was mostly an outside dog, even in the craziness of summer (not my choice, but not my dog.) AC would be nice, but plenty of cool water would be fine. I know where I grew up in San Pedro it didn't get that hot even when it was "omgsuperhot", and my sister who lives in Riverside gets some decent heat, but even I think it'd be fine out there. The coat acts as an insulator against both heat and cold, just be sure the dog has plenty of cool water and a place out of the elements (ie: inside) and they'll be fine. Just don't shave them.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

tadnar posted:

Haha, already sleeping in awkward positions, I see.

We live in the northeast so it doesn't stay terribly hot for a long time, but Psyche does pretty well in the summer. She does get more sleepy and likes to sleep/lay in front of fans like so:

DSCF1834 by Kiri koli, on Flickr

We usually leave an AC window unit on for her on the hottest days, but that's probably me being paranoid. She's never shown any heat exhaustion on walks or playing outside.

Definitely don't shave Eskies and they need lots of water. I think they're prone to dry skin, so in dryer climates, fish-based food or fish oil vitamins are good for their skin/fur.

Having an Eskie in LA/Washington is a little sad though...one of the best things is watching an Eskie play in snow. So you guys should try bringing her to the mountains or something so she can romp around in her natural habitat. :D I can't wait until we get snow again this year.

White by Kiri koli, on Flickr

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Another Eskie :3:

This is my friend's dog Kayla. She's a puppy mill rescue with issues, and completely devoted to my friend's mother. A while ago while petting her I scratched Kayla's head between her eye and ear in that baldish spot, and she looooved it, she just...zoned out and started making grunty "rrf" noises. Apparently now she'll walk up to someone and "rrf" at them to ask for it again.

tadnar
Mar 17, 2009
I've finally gotten a chance to see Momo in person, and she's even cuter than I imagined.

She's very well behaved at 9 weeks old. She's mostly housebroken, although she still has an accident occasionally, and has "sit" down pretty solidly. Surprisingly quiet too. She gets a bit nippy after she's been playing for a while and gets excited, but otherwise is absolutely charming :3:.

She also looks ridiculous when sleeping:

tadnar fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 26, 2011

riht
Dec 13, 2004

i knew u were trouble when u tossed int
Crappy picture, but Ben has finally mastered the art of the huskyball.

Unfortunately, he's a little under the weather and has been sneezing since yesterday. Going to see how he is tomorrow and maybe ask the vet's opinion, but it doesn't seem like anything serious.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Looks like Ben's haunches are starting to blow coat. Good luck, my friend.

Also, :3:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nikita just finished blowing her coat. The house is suddenly fuzz free.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Look what Koji got for PISSmas! :iamafag:

It's perfect. :allears:

Also, Ben. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Koji!!! :neckbeard:

Buddy's blowing coat right now, but I've been horrible with the baby in the house and haven't kept up on it like I usually do. :( Bugs the crap outta me every time I look at him, especially since I can't do anything about it. Sorry, Bud.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Look at this goddamned puppy. We know the mom is some type of generic black lab mix, because she was rescued pregnant. Almost positive that dad was a shar pei. Now I am pouring through this thread learning about how this sweet little puppy is going to turn into a maniac.My wife and kids are in love with little Lo Pan, though. So i think it will be worth it. You can't see it in this pic too well, but he has the hippo head and meat mouth you see in shar peis. Also he has enough skin for a whole other puppy.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 2, 2012

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

The Dregs posted:

Look at this goddamned puppy. We know the mom is some type of generic black lab mix, because she was rescued pregnant. Almost positive that dad was a shar pei. Now I am pouring through this thread learning about how this sweet little puppy is going to turn into a maniac.My wife and kids are in love with little Lo Pan, though. So i think it will be worth it. You can't see it in this pic too well, but he has the hippo head and meat mouth you see in shar peis. Also he has enough skin for a whole other puppy.

Wrinkly puppy :3:

More pictures are required! You don't want him to explode :ohdear:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

XtaC posted:

Here's a pic of our two Malamutes, Leila and Loki, just before a walk to the shops.

I know this is old and all but god drat they are adorable :3:

atomic bassoon.
Apr 3, 2009
Been stalking this thread since I posted a thousand years ago, finally have a cute photo of our husky/collie mix Karma that isn't in terrible lighting (i.e. everywhere in our house).

He wishes everyone a happy belated christmas! This is his expression 99% of the time. GRACEFUL.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Shebrew posted:

Wrinkly puppy :3:

More pictures are required! You don't want him to explode :ohdear:

Well, then, here ya go. Crisis averted.
Looks like a shar pei to me. Agree?

Here he is asleep with the stoned-looking daycare kid.

This didn't even make him twitch in his sleep.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

(duplicated from Post Your Pet)

Our husky, Ike, clearly very excited about being held:

And our shiba, Juno, who we've had for 1 year today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyqmHxwBH8w

She's 14 months old and loves the poo poo out of balls. Unclear whether she likes water, or just hates it less than she loves balls.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Yep. Gonna steal dem dogs. :3:

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

This is what happens when my room mate's girlfriend is left alone with Mona during the day.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Ha! Reminds me of this site:
http://www.studioarthur.co.uk/

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
You know what this world needs? More pictures of Koji, and Buddy, and Kaidan, and the rest.

Tibby
Mar 24, 2004

happy bamboo cup

Tendai posted:

You know what this world needs? More pictures of Koji, and Buddy, and Kaidan, and the rest.

I agree with this so much that I am going to quote it.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

nolen posted:

This is what happens when my room mate's girlfriend is left alone with Mona during the day.

:3: This is the best.

Tendai posted:

Uuuh, I haven't taken anything particularly new, but here, I'll crosspost this one:

Also, this is how Koji catches things...

28/52 by thepaisleyfox, on Flickr

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

nolen posted:

I don't think I have ever seen anything so awesome.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
My sister in law and her boyfriend are collecting their second dog tomorrow - an older puppy/young adolescent male husky. They've been reading this thread voraciously for the last several months and (despite having read this thread voraciously) are REALLY excited about owning their own walking hair explosion!!!!

He's a former pet shop pup who was purchased with his female littermate
( :rolleyes: ) and after several months their owners realized 'This is hell because we've taught them nothing!' so a re-homing they went.

I shall enjoy watching husky ownership from far, far away. Even though he's not ours, should I post pics?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

My sister in law and her boyfriend are collecting their second dog tomorrow - an older puppy/young adolescent male husky. They've been reading this thread voraciously for the last several months and (despite having read this thread voraciously) are REALLY excited about owning their own walking hair explosion!!!!

He's a former pet shop pup who was purchased with his female littermate
( :rolleyes: ) and after several months their owners realized 'This is hell because we've taught them nothing!' so a re-homing they went.

I shall enjoy watching husky ownership from far, far away. Even though he's not ours, should I post pics?

The answer is always yes.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Car trip home, with Scylla giving him the :stare:-iest face she can produce.

They're naming him Ghost and if he ever stops moving, we might get better pictures.

Squirrelomancer
Jan 28, 2009
After the first big snowfall of the year Bandit was particularly tired and fell asleep keeping an eye on me on the couch.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

We learned yesterday that Juno's dislike for jackets exceeds her love for balls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN2oGdHVXE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zah4pgfwaXw

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Steve French posted:

We learned yesterday that Juno's dislike for jackets exceeds her love for balls:

Oh my goodness, your dog is so ridiculously cute when she is so pleased with herself. I get the same "we do not approve" look from Koji when he has to wear clothes, too. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Steve French posted:

First off Juno is adorable as poo poo. :3:

I love that Juno hates the jacket so much she'll just stand there and take balls to the face. :v:

Looks like a shiba in that video, right?

• Locked thread