Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Between more convenient repairs and a recent replacement of a virtually brand-new Epic touch, that is a scary thought. If the service has cost me a net amount over the years, it can't be much. That's one thing I didn't have to give much thought to.

Thank you for the other ideas. The cash outlay for roughly 5 years' worth of ETFs and used handsets make a move onto T-Mobile fairly cost prohibitive at this time. I may let all the lines wind down without a renewal which will take about a year, but I have real doubts about T-Mobile from a coverage standpoint and a corporate standpoint. DT has made noises about dumping them if the AT&T acquisition falls through.

I acknowledge that I am bitching impotently here. I'm mostly curious if anyone else feels the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kynetx posted:

but I have real doubts about T-Mobile from a coverage standpoint and a corporate standpoint.
Sprint's coverage (particularly 4G) and performance is in a particularly tight spot right now. Network vision should alleviate a lot of it over the next few years, but it's quite possible that, depending which market you're in, you're already "suffering" with the worst provider.

T-Mo's HSPA service definitely bests Sprint's 4G. Sprint might have better 3G coverage but it's pretty slammed in many markets too. Sprint may have better overall voice coverage, particularly through roaming providers, but data is a tossup.

Kynetx posted:

DT has made noises about dumping them if the AT&T acquisition falls through.
I don't see T-Mo's service getting particularly worse over the next two years but, right, it's not clear where they're heading long term.

Kynetx posted:

I'm mostly curious if anyone else feels the same way.
It's pretty well agreed that Sprint is the best "value" provider, in that if you want unlimited voice or any mobile, unlimited text, and unlimited data, Sprint service is going to be the cheapest (or only) option for it.

That said, the usage habits of most folks don't require the kind of all-you-can-eat plans that Sprint specializes in. Particularly if doing SMS through GV is an option, Verizon and AT&T plans are certainly competitive and T-Mo takes the "absolute cheapest" spot.

Frankly I'm still with Sprint because there's few other options that are better than $50/mo SERO price-wise. T-Mo value plans can undercut that, but it's essentially a wash factoring in the phone subsidy, and I don't quite want to give up this plan as Sprint does have an LTE strategy. However, if a two-line EPRP family plan for $130/mo were the best I could do, I'd definitely be looking elsewhere.

I'd guess most folks still here are either on SERO also, have crazy good discounts, or aren't trustworthy of the GV SMS experience and feel uneasy about dumping carrier texts.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
The past year has seen Sprint slowly whittle away nearly every perk that differentiated them from the other carriers except for unlimited data. The twist is that you'll never get to see any benefit from that unlimited data unless you live in a major city that doesn't suffer from backhaul congestion.

After spending the past few months meandering between Akron-Erie-Buffalo and seeing nearly sub-dialup speeds (if I get 3G coverage at all), I cannot WAIT to go see the folks for Christmas in Fort Lauderdale and actually experience decent data speeds again (and 4g!).

My 25% off shadily-acquired discount is the only thing keeping me with Sprint; I can tell you right now that it won't be enough to keep me as a customer when my contract renewal rolls around again. Saving 15-20 bucks a month in return for data service so bad it might be almost non-existent is hardly an appealing option.

Sprint needs to roll out Network Vision asap and actually cover a large portion of their current subscribers (unlike the laughable WiMax rollout), or they're probably doomed long term.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Leathal posted:

After spending the past few months meandering between Akron-Erie-Buffalo

Sprint in Erie has/had major issues, a few towers just plain did not work for data. Including the one that covered my apartment. God I'm glad I moved out of that poo poo hole.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

big mean giraffe posted:

Sprint in Erie has/had major issues, a few towers just plain did not work for data. Including the one that covered my apartment. God I'm glad I moved out of that poo poo hole.

My Sprint service in this whole drat region can be summed up into two categories:
1) Virtually no data signal at all. Loading mobile websites can take literally minutes and I can basically only use my data to update weather widgets and such.
2) Decently strong data signal, but absolutely HORRENDOUS speeds. I'm talking 7-12 kbps max. This happens in fairly heavily populated areas (ex: downtown Akron, Erie, Buffalo, etc).

It's so bad that I'd probably have already tried to get out of my contract, but I use that 11115 PRL which gives 3G Verizon roaming and switch to Roam Only mode whenever I need to shoot off an email or check Google Maps. Still though, I kinda secretly hope Sprint gives me the boot for roaming data so I can escape the ETF and maybe get a Galaxy Nexus or something.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

td4guy posted:

lovely, man. When I took my phone in to be repaired not that long ago, I was specifically asked the following:

"Do you consent to having your phone wiped during our troubleshooting process?"
I guess the last straw was this: they wiped my phone and said "your battery will be here in about six days - you should hear from us, but if you don't, give us a call." So I don't hear anything (naturally) and I call them this past Saturday, the first day I'm free, and the girl on the phone says "Yes, it's in, and please note if you don't pick it up within five days we'll have to ship it back."

:sigh:

I go to pick it up and the guy hands me just the battery in a plastic bag - fine by me, it's not like I need help with it. I walk outside, replace the battery, and nothing happens. No startup, not even a "low battery" message. So I go ask him if there's something special I have to do or if the battery's just completely uncharged (something it would've been nice for him to mention before I left the store), and he says, matter-of-factly "Well yeah, the battery's totally dead. You'll probably have to charge it overnight before you'll be able to use it."

:sigh:

Come on guys, jesus christ. Call me when you're supposed to. Don't threaten to ship my poo poo back when it's clear I'm coming that day to pick it up. And if you can't stick new batteries in a charger for ten minutes, at the very least say 'Hey man, just thought I'd warn you you'll have to charge it before you can use it."

My cancellation fee isn't that high, and what the hell, it's Christmas and I never buy myself anything: I signed up with Verizon on the way home. I'm sure they're lovely too, but at this point I'd be happy with just a different kind of lovely.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sprint's coverage (particularly 4G) and performance is in a particularly tight spot right now. Network vision should alleviate a lot of it over the next few years, but it's quite possible that, depending which market you're in, you're already "suffering" with the worst provider.

T-Mo's HSPA service definitely bests Sprint's 4G. Sprint might have better 3G coverage but it's pretty slammed in many markets too. Sprint may have better overall voice coverage, particularly through roaming providers, but data is a tossup.

I don't see T-Mo's service getting particularly worse over the next two years but, right, it's not clear where they're heading long term.

It's pretty well agreed that Sprint is the best "value" provider, in that if you want unlimited voice or any mobile, unlimited text, and unlimited data, Sprint service is going to be the cheapest (or only) option for it.

That said, the usage habits of most folks don't require the kind of all-you-can-eat plans that Sprint specializes in. Particularly if doing SMS through GV is an option, Verizon and AT&T plans are certainly competitive and T-Mo takes the "absolute cheapest" spot.

Frankly I'm still with Sprint because there's few other options that are better than $50/mo SERO price-wise. T-Mo value plans can undercut that, but it's essentially a wash factoring in the phone subsidy, and I don't quite want to give up this plan as Sprint does have an LTE strategy. However, if a two-line EPRP family plan for $130/mo were the best I could do, I'd definitely be looking elsewhere.

I'd guess most folks still here are either on SERO also, have crazy good discounts, or aren't trustworthy of the GV SMS experience and feel uneasy about dumping carrier texts.

I have always liked tmobile. But tmobile as a company is very up in the air, and honesty while I will be the first to admit tmobile has faster Internet speeds in city, sprint has had better nationwide (read: coverage outside of cities) coverage than tmobile for me. Not saying tmobile is terrible in that area, but both have ups and downs. And sprint is interesting in data speeds. In Tennessee I noticed a downtick in sprint speeds. In pa it certainly still isn't amazing. But overall I drive anywhere with sprint 3g and overall can usually streaming rdio with few problems (my most intensive data feature).

Sprint isn't meant to be cheap, it's meant to be straight forward. Just general thoughts in my mind right now.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

One of the highlights of my get-off-my-lawn mood last night dealt with 4G.

I was bitching to the wife about the bill and mentioned the smartphone tax. The conversation went like this:

Me:
"OK, so our base plan is 129.99 a month for 1500 minutes and unlimited data for the first two phones, then $19.99 for the other 3. 4 out of 5 phones have an additional 10 dollar fee for being high data usage phones".
Her:
"Wait, so pay for unlimited data and then pay again?"
Me:
"Yeah, pretty much."
Her:
'That's stupid."

I then went on to bore her about how people thought the fee was for 4G until she told me she didn't care.
It was at this point that I started thinking about 4G. Unless I'm outside and stationary, it is effectively the same as turning my network connection off. Assuming that Sprint's labs tested the spectrum at all, they must have noticed how bad it was. How did they still ship it?

Bah.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

jackpot posted:

sad crappy story
drat. You oughtta email that story to someone at the corporate office so they can see how crappy your store is. Nothing's worse than a message saying "the behavior of this store's employees caused me to switch to Verizon".

Kynetx posted:

It was at this point that I started thinking about 4G. Unless I'm outside and stationary, it is effectively the same as turning my network connection off. Assuming that Sprint's labs tested the spectrum at all, they must have noticed how bad it was. How did they still ship it?
They didn't have much of a choice with the spectrum, unfortunately. But I guess they did get to sell tons of next-gen 4G phones because of it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My only problem with Sprint is that they keep whittling away at the things that put them head and shoulders above AT&T and Verizon (I loving loved T-Mo when I lived in FL but coverage at either GSM carrier is fairly lovely in Omaha).

Verizon is still incredibly unpalatable to me, as is ATT, what with their bullshit "everything costs you" doctrine of offering piecemeal a la carte services that should have long since been rolled up into monthly bills (such as SMS and voicemail)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
How can I keep the google voice number forward to my phone, but stop using the google voice mail? I want to use the voice mail that is built into the iphone. If I delete that app would that do it?

Edit: All I had to do was dial *38

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 13, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

nate fisher posted:

How can I keep the google voice number forward to my phone, but stop using the google voice mail? I want to use the voice mail that is built into the iphone. If I delete that app would that do it?

Edit: All I had to do was dial *38

I'm just curious, why did you want to stop using GV voicemail? I've found it as good or better than Sprint's voicemail in every way.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

GigaPeon posted:

I have and Evo 3D. I sometimes experience an issue where the screen stops responding until I lock/unlock the device. Recently, while playing some games, I notice the real cause is that a spot in the middle of the screen registers a touch and that's what's causing this to happen.

I'm assuming this is a hardware issue, since it's not dependent on what app I'm in. What are my options here? Bring it to the service center and try to convince them I'm not crazy?

So I brought the phone in.

They said they did "diagnostics", saw something wrong, wiped the phone and then the "diagnostics" were clean.

Is this a real thing? Did they just do this to shut me up?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

GigaPeon posted:

They said they did "diagnostics", saw something wrong, wiped the phone and then the "diagnostics" were clean.

How to know if it's a real thing: did they tell you specifically what was wrong after running diagnostics (misbehaving app, etc), so that you can avoid it in the future?

If they didn't, then it sounds like they wiped the phone in the hopes that it was a glitch somewhere (and/or they wanted to shut you up).

For what it's worth I've had the same thing happen on my Evo. Locks up completely, the only thing to bring it back is to lock/unlock it. Most of the time that works, but about 10% of the time it just restarts the phone, so that's fun.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GigaPeon posted:

Sprint has a program called slate that we are starting to be required to use. It supposedly analyzes the phone, battery, apps, etc. I politely disagree with sprint on this one. It's worthless.

But honestly, doing a phone wipe is a good way to fix a problem. And a nice placebo effect either way :)

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint has a program called slate that we are starting to be required to use. It supposedly analyzes the phone, battery, apps, etc. I politely disagree with sprint on this one. It's worthless.

But honestly, doing a phone wipe is a good way to fix a problem. And a nice placebo effect either way :)

They told me if I get a survey call to make sure to say they ran Slate, so it must be important.

I haven't had the issue happen yet, so maybe it worked.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GigaPeon posted:

They told me if I get a survey call to make sure to say they ran Slate, so it must be important.

I haven't had the issue happen yet, so maybe it worked.

Weird, slate is not in the survey calls at all.

For the record, you need to say "yes you received ready now service" and "very satisied" with the customer service. Saying no or giving even just a satisfied gets us a 0. Sprint is hardcore on the surveys.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

At the same time, in-store reps ask me to give them a 5 if asked, which I've never had a reason not to, but it must pollute the data. What's the point?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I was in my old store to get my iPhone and they told me Slate was on the way out. I guess Sprint is starting to listen to the stores that told them that Slate was a dumb piece of poo poo software that wasted customers' and employees' time. It may still be utilized for the time being until they figure something else out, but yeah....gently caress Slate.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Kynetx posted:

At the same time, in-store reps ask me to give them a 5 if asked, which I've never had a reason not to, but it must pollute the data. What's the point?

My personal favorite in store interaction was the dude who set up my EVO 3D. Took both new and old phones into the back room without explanation, and copied all of my contacts from my Pre (synced to Google) onto the EVO3D, which promptly synced all of those contacts again from the cloud. He also tried to force the back cover of the phone on upside down. Then he tried to sell me a myriad of accessories with the line "they only make so many, so they might be gone by the time you decide later."

Look dude, I don't want to gently caress up your job for you with a negative review, but drat if that trip didn't try my patience.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

sirbeefalot posted:

My personal favorite in store interaction was the dude who set up my EVO 3D. Took both new and old phones into the back room without explanation, and copied all of my contacts from my Pre (synced to Google) onto the EVO3D, which promptly synced all of those contacts again from the cloud. He also tried to force the back cover of the phone on upside down. Then he tried to sell me a myriad of accessories with the line "they only make so many, so they might be gone by the time you decide later."

Look dude, I don't want to gently caress up your job for you with a negative review, but drat if that trip didn't try my patience.

I understand how much it sucks working retail and customer service. Combining the two must be even worse. But if you piss me off, you're not getting an all 5's review.

It's not like I even demand top notch service. Even if the experience was a little frustrating and tiring, as long as they didn't outright piss me off, I'll rate them well so they don't get screwed.

I'm not sure what that says about me and my expectations of customer services, but it's kind of depressing.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
I just picked up my fourth replacement epic 4g today, and I have to take it back tomorrow because the proximity sensor is broken. The tech told me that if I had to replace it again I could switch to a new model, can anyone tell me what the current list of swap options for the epic 4g is?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

bigpolar posted:

I just picked up my fourth replacement epic 4g today, and I have to take it back tomorrow because the proximity sensor is broken. The tech told me that if I had to replace it again I could switch to a new model, can anyone tell me what the current list of swap options for the epic 4g is?
Last I checked, EVO 4G, Nexus S, and EVO Shift. Plus a couple of phones you really don't want (old Samsungs, Optimus).

This was a couple of weeks ago though, I haven't had to replace one in a while.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I'm just curious, why did you want to stop using GV voicemail? I've found it as good or better than Sprint's voicemail in every way.

I just wanted to give it a try with the way voicemail is built in to iOS. Not sold either way right now.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

Last I checked, EVO 4G, Nexus S, and EVO Shift. Plus a couple of phones you really don't want (old Samsungs, Optimus).

Thanks. How does the evolution compare to the nexus now? I know reccomendations were running toward the nexus, but now that gingerbread is on both and no more updates are planned for either, which one looks like it will last?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bigpolar posted:

Thanks. How does the evolution compare to the nexus now? I know reccomendations were running toward the nexus, but now that gingerbread is on both and no more updates are planned for either, which one looks like it will last?

There's an ICS update coming from Google for the Nexus S so it's not EOL yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

I was in my old store to get my iPhone and they told me Slate was on the way out. I guess Sprint is starting to listen to the stores that told them that Slate was a dumb piece of poo poo software that wasted customers' and employees' time. It may still be utilized for the time being until they figure something else out, but yeah....gently caress Slate.

I hope so. Honestly, I'm pretty sure the reason they have slate is to verify repairs are what reps say they are and that the customers are in store. Not sure how corporate works, but some reps exaggerate repairs at indirect.

Kynetx posted:

For the for the record, if anyone here has a poor experience certainly do not feel obligated to give a good survey. That's why it's there. Honestly, the goals are high, my store needs to get a minimum of 70% for "ready now" part and 80% for "very satisfied. " And it's big her for non-tech centers (more likelihood of possess off customers in a repair shop). And really, it doesn't pollute the data. Even on this page people weren't happy with service, so even the rep telling you about the survey doesn't mean you will respond accordingly. It's a method of establishing a standard, and overall I personally think it works well. I've only lost money one month off it, and a good amount of the time I make extra money, so I'm all for it.

And honestly, it isn't a easy to get those scores as you think, so it creates good habits.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 14, 2011

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
The only reason I am still with Sprint is because I get a 25% (shady) discount and the 4G works in my city and actually works inside my gym, letting me stream Spotify quite well.

If they ever kick me off my discount I'm out. I would have stayed if they kept Premier gold around, but now the only reason is the fact that it's the cheapest option.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

They gave me the option of an EVO 3D today, which I took. They also offered me the nexus S, an EVO Shift, or a samsung conquer.

She read off the whole list, telling me about the phones, and how good the new conquer was, then "oh, and the evo 3d, I guess." I did ask if any of the other phones had dual core processors, and she told me they did not. It was a pretty easy choice.

So, it looks like today was a good day to return a defective epic.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

bigpolar posted:

They gave me the option of an EVO 3D today, which I took. They also offered me the nexus S, an EVO Shift, or a samsung conquer.

She read off the whole list, telling me about the phones, and how good the new conquer was, then "oh, and the evo 3d, I guess." I did ask if any of the other phones had dual core processors, and she told me they did not. It was a pretty easy choice.

You chose.... wisely.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

bigpolar posted:

This same thing happened with my defective EVO 4G's. It's like it pained them to offer the 3D. Felt good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
After Christmas specials:

Evo 3D: $99
Shift: $50
View: $200

And best news of all: Sprint is the official sponsor of the NBA. I think we all can agree that the turning point for sprint is now.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

Duckman2008 posted:

After Christmas specials:

Evo 3D: $99
Shift: $50
View: $200

And best news of all: Sprint is the official sponsor of the NBA. I think we all can agree that the turning point for sprint is now.

I wish it could have been the NHL instead...

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
The ear speaker went out on my Evo Shift and I got it replaced. One issue I had on the old phone was MMS never worked, send or recieve. If i recieve an MMS I get a 'download' form button but clicking on it never does anything. I expected this issue to go away when I got a new phone but it didn't.

My old and new phones are both running CM7, which should have functional MMS. Is something possibly wedged within Sprint's network?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Duckman2008 posted:

SUCK IT T-MOBILE.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

falz posted:

The ear speaker went out on my Evo Shift and I got it replaced. One issue I had on the old phone was MMS never worked, send or recieve. If i recieve an MMS I get a 'download' form button but clicking on it never does anything. I expected this issue to go away when I got a new phone but it didn't.

My old and new phones are both running CM7, which should have functional MMS. Is something possibly wedged within Sprint's network?

This started happening on my HTC Arrive. My account also de-integrated itself with Google Voice so I assume it's related.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
The MMS stuff has been problematic for at least 3-4 months for me, I don't use it that much but it's become annoying.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Duckman2008 posted:

My sarcasm detector is broken, but this seems stupid. Aren't they cash-strapped to the point of not being able to build out their network (or provide enough backhaul to their network to make sure metro areas get greater than 10kbps)? Why are they wasting money on this bullshit?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Turnquiet posted:

My sarcasm detector is broken, but this seems stupid. Aren't they cash-strapped to the point of not being able to build out their network (or provide enough backhaul to their network to make sure metro areas get greater than 10kbps)? Why are they wasting money on this bullshit?

Because it worked so well for T-Mobile. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

I never get this mentality. Like Sprint was sitting around the boardroom saying "Should we give our customers something for free or lower their bills with this money, or should we spend it on becoming the official wireless carrier of the NBA? Let's do the NBA thing!"

That's not how a company's finances work. I'm sure there is a risk/reward factor in spending that kind of money and they have to figure out if its worth it, but that money also comes out of the advertising budget so its not like it would be used for anything else.

In short, Sprint knows they have to spend X amount of money in advertising each year and/or reach X amount of people with that advertising to maintain/gain customers. They have to spend that money on that, if they didn't....they wouldn't need anymore backhaul or network buildout because they would continue to bleed customers. They probably want to spend this NBA season letting the urban crowd know that "We've got the iPhone."