Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

ExecuDork posted:

It's translucent gray - light comes through it if I hold it in front of a bulb, but fuzzy. Is there a way for film to not get fixed even in the presence of fresh, known-good fixer?

Can you read the text on the edge of the film? If so how thin is it?

Do a clip test on your fixer and see how long it takes to fix.

Shoot another roll of the exact same scene but bracket the exposures. In the darkroom cut it into 3 sections and develop them separately at progressively longer times, say 11, 17, 23 mins. See how they come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

It's translucent gray - light comes through it if I hold it in front of a bulb, but fuzzy. Is there a way for film to not get fixed even in the presence of fresh, known-good fixer?

Now it's sounding more like your film got exposed to light. Sorry :(

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The text on the edges of the film is clear and legible.

Is Delta 3200 very sensitive to IR? Actually, I just thought of something - I bought the film from overseas (Sweden), it might have gone through an X-ray machine when Canada Customs got it. D'oh! :doh:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My only experience with Delta 3200 has also been some badly expired stuff. I did get images on it, but it was insanely fogged simply from being stored.
Are you really sure you exposed it properly, and at what speed did you expose it? Is there any chance your meter fails at the speed you were exposing for?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I have a feeling that X-rays would probably destroy Delta 3200, since you're not supposed to send film above either 400 or 800 (I forget) through them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

I have a feeling that X-rays would probably destroy Delta 3200, since you're not supposed to send film above either 400 or 800 (I forget) through them.

Sure, but if the edge markings are still visible after development it wasn't completely fogged and a properly exposed image should still be visible through the high base density.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm not 100% certain of the shutter speeds, it was the first roll through my new-to-me Pentax ME Super - I can't tell the difference between 1/125 and 1/250 from sound alone. But, there's NOTHING on this film - I can't count frames, it's a continuous strip of gray. The meter on my camera only goes up to 1600 ISO, so I shot that roll in manual, moving one stop faster from what the light meter recommended. If I was indoors and at f/4, and the light meter said 1/30, I'd shoot at 1/60, for example.

The camera has some issues, it will always open the shutter for much longer (around 1/4, I think) the first time I use it after it's been sitting for a while, which in practice seems to be anything longer than about 10 minutes. The second shot will be (I think) correct, so I'm trying to get into the habit of cocking the lever before I shoot with this camera, rather than after as I usually do with my Minolta.

Given all the variety of shooting I did with that roll - everything from 1/30 up to 1/500, plus the first-shot weirdness I'd expect to see at least a few rolls that were badly under- or over-exposed, but there's no indication of that. The X-ray explanation (combined with about a decade of storage) is making the most sense to me at the moment, but I wonder if anybody else has had similar experiences, or has had a roll go through an X-ray machine.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The Massive Dev List iPhone App sure makes semi-stand developing a lot easier.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Just picked up some Rollei Pan 25 in 120. Anyone used this and have any advice?

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
It's exactly the same as Efke 25 (or so Maco claim) which I've used a bit of.

lovely cheap emulsion and an absolute bitch to feed onto a roll for dev. Although I've only used the 135.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Nevermind

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 12, 2011

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Found this Cosina CS-1 in workplaces hazardous waste trash, i cannot wind(?) the camera. Tried to dismantle the camera but i cannot get the top part off. Don't know how the buttons come off. Tried to pull them off but i am scared to use too much force on them. Do someone know how the buttons come off?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
There's nothing quite like trying to force your way into something you found in the hazardous waste receptacle.

Leave it to a pro before you destroy it. It's not easy to get in there and there's nothing user serviceable. The battery compartment should be on the bottom. What exactly are you trying to do?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

There's nothing quite like trying to force your way into something you found in the hazardous waste receptacle.

Leave it to a pro before you destroy it. It's not easy to get in there and there's nothing user serviceable. The battery compartment should be on the bottom. What exactly are you trying to do?

Catch some kind of blood-borne disease, obviously.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I've been super keen to try out some of the Kodak Aerochrome colour infrared film, it makes all those infrared colours a lovely magenta!

It makes dark skin look amazing, and white skin look a bit sickly. You can supposedly order it here (I'll let people know how my order goes): http://www.tarquinius.de/

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
That second photo is part of a pretty great series that was in GUP. Love GUP

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Paul MaudDib posted:

To find out why the film advance lever doesn't do anything. Axle is probably snapped or loosen.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Schofferhofer posted:

That second photo is part of a pretty great series that was in GUP. Love GUP

I first saw that work in the British Journal of Photography, then forgot about it for a while, all those shots from the Congo look spectacular.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
It's Richard Mosse. Infra.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So, I scanned in some 35mm film on my V500 and had it printed at 8x10 at the local Ritz Camera. It looks like total poo poo. Is it's Ritz's fault? Is it the V500's fault? Can 35mm just not be blown up reasonably to 8x10? I want to say the resolution was around 2000x3000 on a 30mb TIFF file, so I didn't imagine it would look so blurry and pixely.

Sigh.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

QPZIL posted:

So, I scanned in some 35mm film on my V500 and had it printed at 8x10 at the local Ritz Camera. It looks like total poo poo. Is it's Ritz's fault? Is it the V500's fault? Can 35mm just not be blown up reasonably to 8x10? I want to say the resolution was around 2000x3000 on a 30mb TIFF file, so I didn't imagine it would look so blurry and pixely.

Sigh.

How does the scan look at 100% on your monitor? If it's blurry and you can't see detail there at 2000x3000, something isn't right with the scan. Otherwise it's Ritz.

I scan at 2400dpi on my V500 and end up with about 2250x3400 scans with plenty of detail, so it's not that the V500 isn't capable of it.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Reposting this here from the gear thread as I believe it goes to a film camera.

Can anyone tell me about this lens, like what it's worth, what mount that is, etc.?

That gunk is from a pricing sticker.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

How do you guys maintain temperature for C-41 or E-6 developing? Lot's of things I find say to use an aquarium heater, but I can't find one that goes hotter than 98F?

All I can find is this Nova company that makes two submersible heaters that go to 45C (so plenty hot), but they're in the UK and last I checked they use different plugs than the US so I'd then have to buy an adapter.

All I can find at B&H for heaters look like they attach to my faucet?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Water has a massive specific heat capacity compared to air. My plan (when I get around to actually processing C41) is to heat a large mass of water in an insulated foam box of the type used to pack fish/meat for restaurants. Lots of people just use a big sink or bath tub and don't bother about insulating the walls. Heat to about 39, start when it cools to 38.5 and it should take much longer than 3 min to cool to 37.5 (although I haven't tested that).

But the general method for small quantities of film is just use a big mass of water and let physics do the rest

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
Could do a DIY Sous Vide cooker if you wanted as well.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
My 8x10 portra 400 arrived. gently caress is that expensive

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

JaundiceDave posted:

My 8x10 portra 400 arrived. gently caress is that expensive

Think of the negatives. Just think of the negatives.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

eggsovereasy posted:

I just burned through this roll so I could try developing (didn't want to screw it up on shots I actually care about), but what would happen if I stored it without doing the fixer again on the bad spots?

When I was spooling it I did go back and redo some parts when I was spooling because I felt it go on wrong, but obviously missed some, is this just something I'll get the feel for after a few times?

So after scanning there is a bunch of "stuff" on the pictures? Are they water stains (I did use a wetting agent), dust, or something else I messed up?

I found the camera (Nikon F3) at my mothers house and it was my father's. It's about 30 years old and it has been at least 15 years since it's been used so the lens could be pretty dusty, but doesn't look bad on a visual inspection, so I assume it's the negatives.

Zooming in on the first one, that looks like steaks of deposits, not scratches. Wash the film again and see if it makes a difference.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

QPZIL posted:

Think of the negatives. Just think of the negatives.

I am, but joke's on me. Even with the best drum scanner in the world you can't scan at any more than around 2000 dpi because .tiffs are limited to 2.1 gigs in size.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

JaundiceDave posted:

I am, but joke's on me. Even with the best drum scanner in the world you can't scan at any more than around 2000 dpi because .tiffs are limited to 2.1 gigs in size.

Yeah but even 2000dpi is like 16000x20000 pixels O_O

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

JaundiceDave posted:

"Yeah, but the car's got a limiter that kicks in at 201mph..."

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

QPZIL posted:

Yeah but even 2000dpi is like 16000x20000 pixels O_O

Which is a lot, but nowhere near the information contained in a good sheet of 8x10. A frame of 35mm has approximately 20mp worth of information in it - scale that up to large format size and it's over a gigapixel.

I realize that it sounds silly complaining about getting 300+ mp files, but it's annoying that you can't resolve full detail from such a great format digitally yet.

Genderfluid fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 15, 2011

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

JaundiceDave posted:

Which is a lot, but nowhere near the information contained in a good sheet of 8x10. A frame of 35mm has approximately 20mp worth of information in it - scale that up to large format size and it's over a gigapixel.

That's not really true though, it doesn't scale linearly. You have to also factor in that as you go up in projection size, the lenses you are using also resolve less fine detail, which is ok because the increase in neg size more than makes up for it.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So I have two different rolls of color film (Portra 400 and Ektar 100), is it ok to develop them together or should i do them separately? I know B&W films have different times for developing, but C-41 seems a lot more rigid with the development process.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

eggsovereasy posted:

So I have two different rolls of color film (Portra 400 and Ektar 100), is it ok to develop them together or should i do them separately? I know B&W films have different times for developing, but C-41 seems a lot more rigid with the development process.

C-41 is standardized, process them together.
I like to put it this way: C-41 films are made to fit the process, B/W processes are made to fit the film.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

JaundiceDave posted:

I realize that it sounds silly complaining about getting 300+ mp files, but it's annoying that you can't resolve full detail from such a great format digitally yet.

You realize you will be able to contact print 8x10 right? I really wouldn't worry about the limitation of tiffs and bask in the glory of 8x10 negatives.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Reposting this here from the gear thread as I believe it goes to a film camera.

Can anyone tell me about this lens, like what it's worth, what mount that is, etc.?

That gunk is from a pricing sticker.

Looks like an M42 mount lens, which will fit lots of Pentax, Zeiss, and I think Voigtlander screwmount cameras. The lens itself is a Zeiss Tessar; a very classic four element lens. It should be very sharp in the center at all apertures, and sharp across the frame at smaller apertures. Probably worth $40-100 depending on condtion.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Ferris Bueller posted:

You realize you will be able to contact print 8x10 right? I really wouldn't worry about the limitation of tiffs and bask in the glory of 8x10 negatives.

Yea, I'm planning to just do c-prints for now, since I can use an 8x10 color enlarger fo' free but have to pay to use a drum scanner

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Could the drum scanner take a higher resolution scan of a portion of the area of the 8x10 negative, something that will result in (I dunno) 6400 dpi and that 2.1gig max file size? Then do that enough times to cover the whole area, and stich the photos together in a different format?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

ExecuDork posted:

Could the drum scanner take a higher resolution scan of a portion of the area of the 8x10 negative, something that will result in (I dunno) 6400 dpi and that 2.1gig max file size? Then do that enough times to cover the whole area, and stich the photos together in a different format?

That's a good question, and I'll call and ask. Even though their drum scans are cheap for drum scans, they're still pricey as gently caress, and if they can do this I'm sure it'll at least double the price.
http://www.nyu.edu/its/ams/prices/