Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Montalvo posted:

Am I the only one who just reads the books to find out if Arya, Bran and Jon become badasses and go on a massive killing spree? :shobon:

Well, maybe not Jon.

Rickon :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Ok Ramsey Bolton is scaring the poo poo out of me :ohdear:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well, finished AFFC and I asked for ADWD for Christmas so I have at least a couple weeks off between books. I'm going to have to learn how to wait a few years for the next book to come out. I found the ending of AFFC hilarious when GRRM says "don't worry, the next book will be out in a year!"

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Meltathon posted:

I found the ending of AFFC hilarious when GRRM says "don't worry, the next book will be out in a year!"

Haha, I posted the same thing. And keep in mind that it was in 2005 or whatever that he wrote that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yeah, the frustration people must have had is very understandable.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Meltathon posted:

If GRRM had a rabid teenage fan-base imagine what the hate could be.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

pants cat posted:

Ok Ramsey Bolton is scaring the poo poo out of me :ohdear:
Really? He's such a caricature that it's hard for me to even take seriously tbh.

(Not that I don't still feel bad for his victims, mind.)

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Meltathon posted:

It was compounded by the wait producing perhaps the worst book in the series so far as well.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Ross posted:

It was compounded by the wait producing perhaps the worst book in the series so far as well.
"Worst book" in a series like this is an essentially meaningless designation since all entries are nothing less than stellar.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Joramun posted:

"Worst book" in a series like this is an essentially meaningless designation since all entries are nothing less than stellar.

You almost had me. Almost.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Joramun posted:

:what:

Do you write for Time Magazine?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

geeves posted:

If GRRM had a rabid teenage fan-base imagine what the hate could be.

The Bad Thread might as well be the same exact thing.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Joramun posted:

There's a semicolon missing from this sentence. I'll let you figure out where it should go.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Conduit for Sale! posted:

There's a semicolon missing from this sentence. I'll let you figure out where it should go.

Aye, it is folly what you speak of

SteepleJack
Oct 20, 2005
Live.

I think you mean a dash.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, it's a dash you're looking for. Not that the sentiment is diminished in the slightest.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

There's nothing missing in that sentence.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Azure_Horizon posted:

There's nothing missing in that sentence.

You know nothing, Azure_Horizon.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I'm about 1/4 through SoS and you guys were not kidding about Jon Snow and he knows nothing. It is sort of ruining my attention/mood in his chapters as I giggle to myself every time it comes up. So every page essentially.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fog Tripper posted:

You know nothing, Azure_Horizon.

Neither do you.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cirofren posted:

I'm about 1/4 through SoS and you guys were not kidding about Jon Snow and he knows nothing. It is sort of ruining my attention/mood in his chapters as I giggle to myself every time it comes up. So every page essentially.

It's like nipples on a breastplate nuncle, with a side of lamprey pies and capon.

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

It's like nipples on a breastplate nuncle, with a side of lamprey pies and capon.

Don't forget to mention the grease dribbling down on to his ermine surcoat now.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

You know nothing, Jon Snow was actually one of the few GRRMism I actually liked. It was endearing. I liked that character and that part of the book(s) a lot.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

You know nothing, Jon Snow was actually one of the few GRRMism I actually liked. It was endearing. I liked that character and that part of the book(s) a lot.

I agree. It wasn't annoying in the least but then I don't give half a groat about a lot of these repeated phrases.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Nuncle was the one that bugged the poo poo out of me for some reason. I think mostly because he'd have "uncle" all over the place, but in dialogue it all of a sudden changed to "nuncle." Even for characters that used to say uncle were changed to nuncle some times. It was just so pointless.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Joramun posted:

Really? He's such a caricature that it's hard for me to even take seriously tbh.

(Not that I don't still feel bad for his victims, mind.)

I think it's the flaying of Theon's fingers, if you've ever lost a fair bit of skin from a finger you'll understand. I cringe my way through Reek chapters.
Other than that, yeah I think he's not as fully drawn a character as the major ones. (yet?)

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Yeah, the only thing repeated more than those catchphrases are the complaints about them on these forums.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

We must needs stop the complaints.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
The complaints shall be little, and less. *chugs Arbor Gold*

I'm just procrastinating here, nearly 60% of the way through ADWD and I'm trying to eek the rest out slowly.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

pants cat posted:

eek.

RHYMES WITH BLEAK

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

The Bad Thread might as well be the same exact thing.

Come discuss the book with us some more, Azure Horizon!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jorenko posted:

Yeah, the only thing repeated more than those catchphrases are the complaints about them on these forums.

Yeah guys stop having stupid fun and speculate some more about the next book that won't get made or the series whose plot you already know.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

That's what makes the other redhead saying it to him in ADWD such a heartwarming little throwback and a sign of her goodwill towards him, since she probably knows what it means to him from her flame visions.

(None of this is really much of a spoiler, but tagged anyway just to be safe.)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

Come discuss the book with us some more, Azure Horizon!

"Discuss" is a word that doesn't fit anything that actually happens in there.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Azure_Horizon posted:

But, the prose man. I think you just need to work on your critical thread reading skills.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 17, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Come on man, we talked about the books yesterday or something. We miss your unique viewpoint and analysis of ADWD.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

Not when the depth of your POV is simply contradicting the opinion of the vast majority of posters there.

But, the prose man.

Sour grapes. It's undeniable that ADWD is a beautifully written work.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Joramun posted:

Sour grapes. It's undeniable that ADWD is a beautifully written work.

More like sour red berries, and what they produce. :colbert:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
ADWD, regarding Melisandre: For three books we were led to believe she's "bad"...her interactions with Jon Snow made her seem honestly "good". I know there's no black and white (except for the House of) in this series, but she is working her way into being more of a "good" character for me. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

ADWD, regarding Melisandre: For three books we were led to believe she's "bad"...her interactions with Jon Snow made her seem honestly "good". I know there's no black and white (except for the House of) in this series, but she is working her way into being more of a "good" character for me. :)
That's often what happens when pre-established characters become POV characters. Same goes for Cersei and Jaime, for example.

• Locked thread